Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the below links to Read More**
Govt to convert 90,000 kms NH into green corridors
- The government is planning to convert 90,000 kms of country’s national highways into green corridors by creating 1000 contractors who will be responsible for planting trees.
- The government decided that 1% of cost in construction will be for tree plantation and other things.
- 1,000 contractors in the country will be created and they will have their own nurseries and will plant new trees and create a green area on national highways.
- The road network of India is 33 lakh kms which is the second largest in the world and consists of 92,851 kms of National Highways, which constitute only 1.7 per cent of the road network but carry about 40 per cent of the total road traffic.
Digital Guddi-Gudda Board adopted as Best Practice under BBBP scheme
Digital Guddi-Gudda Board is innovation of Jalgaon district Maharashtra was adopted as a best practice under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao(BBBP) scheme by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It is a scheme for spreading information education and communication material related to BBBP.
- It is used to update monthly birth statistics.
- It also displays audio video material as well as still frames for spreading information.
National Award for rag pickers
- Now, rag pickers’ services will be recognised by the government which has decided to give national award for their contribution to keep India clean.Rag pickers.
- There are millions of rag pickers in the country. This informal sector has saved the country. They are doing a good job and I have decided to recognise their efforts
- In our country it generates 62 million tonnes of waste annually. “This is expected to increase to 165 million tonnes by 2030 and 450 million tonnes by 2050,
- The national award, with a cash prize of Rs. 1.5 lakh, will be given to three best rag pickers and three associations involved in innovation of best practices.
- From All india Level these three Rag pickers will Be Selected for Award.
Lord Karan Bilimoria among 8 NRIs awarded in UK
- Lord Karan Bilimoria, leading NRI entrepreneur, has been awarded as the International Indian of the Year for 2014-15 for his outstanding achievements in the fields of business and education.
- Lord Bilimoria is the founder of Cobra Beer, Chairman of the Cobra Beer Partnership Limited.
Other award recipients are:
- Uma Wadhwani (International Indian Business Woman of the year)
- Captain Nalin Pandey, Managing Director of Pentagon Marine Services (International Indian Lifetime Services to Maritime Trade India and the World 2014-15)
- Ravinder Singh Gidar, Founder Golden Care Homes (International Indian Promoting Healthcare for elderly)
- Pravinkant Amin (International Indian Promoting Community relations Worldwide)
- Bajrang Bahadur Mathur, Architect and Town Planner (International Indian Promoting Tourism through writing and art)
- Sanjay Wadhwani, Managing Director, Wanis (International Indian Young entrepreneur 2014-15)
Blumberg Grain plans to invest USD 250 mn in India
- Blumberg Grain, US-based food storage technology provider is planning to enter the Indian market by investing about USD 250 million over next 5 years.
- Currently the company is looking for setting up plant to manufacture components for scientific warehouses.
- This proposed investment would be on manufacturing facility, upstream activities like disseminating best farm practices to farmers and downstream infrastructure like processing and packaging facilities.
Banking & Finance
Bandhan to start banking operations from Aug 23
- Micro-finance institution Bandhan Financial Services will formally start operations as a banker from August 23.
- Bandhan chairman Chandra Sekhar Ghosh said “We will start banking operations under Bandhan Bank from August 23 with the inauguration of 600 branches in 27 states across the country along with 250 on-site ATMs.”
- West Bengal will have 247 branches while other states having good share of branches are Odisha, Bihar and Assam.
- 65% of branches would be in rural areas while 35%would be opened in urban areas.
- Bandhan got the in-principle approval from RBI for starting universal banking operations along with IDFC.
Netherlands beat South Korea 2-1 to win women’s HWL
- World and Olympic champions Netherlands lifted the Women’s Hockey World League trophy by defeating Asian games gold medallist South Korea by 2-1.
- This was the semifinal round of the 2014–15 Women’s FIH Hockey World League and from here 7 highest placed teams apart from the five continental champions will qualify for 2016 Summer Olympics.
Chile beat Argentina 4-1 on penalties to win country’s first Copa America
- Chile finally won the Copa America for the first time in the country’s history by defeating Argentina by 4-1 on penalties.
- The match started off with both teams pushing the limits and creating chances. Argentina came close in the opening minutes but couldn’t convert it into a goal. The game ended at 0-0 and the final result was decided by penalties in which Chile triumphed with final score of 4-1.