AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 31 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh lay the foundation stone of “Technology Facility Centre” (TFC), on 29th October 2018?
1) Patna, Bihar
2) Panaji, Goa
3) Jorhat, Assam
4) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jorhat, Assam
On October 29, 2018, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh laid the foundation stone of new Science Centre, the “Technology Facility Centre” (TFC) in Jorhat, Assam. This will be established in the premises of the CSIR-North East Institute of Science & Technology (NEIST). For setting up the new Science Centre, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) had allocated Rs.40 crore for its construction. It would be institutionalized by Department of Science & Technology (S&T) and CSIR. This will work as a Center of Excellence for all the eight States of Northeast for promoting research as well as job creation.
- Where did Union Minister for Shipping , Road Transport and Highways, Mr Nitin Gadkari lay the foundation of India’s largest Dry Dock, on 30th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Cochin
On October 30, 2018, the Union Minister for Shipping , Road Transport and Highways, Mr Nitin Gadkari and Kerala Chief Minister Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan laid foundation of India’s largest Dry Dock at Cochin Shipyard. The new Dry Dock is being constructed at a cost of Rs 1799 Crore and is expected to be completed by May 2021. It will be 310 m long, 75m wide, with a depth of 13 m and drought of 9.5m. It will be designed to handle both ship building and repairs, and bear a load up to 600 T/m. It will have a water treatment plant and Green Belt Development. It will be used to build specialized and technologically advanced large vessels like LNG Carriers, drill ships etc for the Indian Navy.
- Executive Committee (EC) of the National Mission for Clean Ganga approved 12 projects worth ____ rupees under the Namami Gange programme in its 16th meeting, on 29th October 2018?
1) Rs 789 crore
2) Rs 929 Crore
3) Rs 543 Crore
4) Rs 236 Crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 929 Crore
On 29th October 2018, Executive Committee (EC) of the National Mission for Clean Ganga approved 12 projects worth Rs. 929 Crore under the Namami Gange programme in its 16th meeting. Some of the approved projects are: Two Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) for Delhi for creating 340 MLD waste treatment capacity at a cost of Rs 580 Crore. Two projects for West Bengal at a cost of Rs 50 Crore. Many projects were sanctioned for Uttar Pradesh with total cost of Rs 128 Crore. Two more projects were sanctioned under CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) category which will be funded by corporate groups.
- Less Polluting Firecrackers named SWAS, SAFAL and STAR have been developed by which entity?
1) Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
2) National Science Labs (NSL)
3) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
4) Raman Research Institute
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
On October 29, 2018, the Ministry of Science & Technology announced development of Less Polluting Firecrackers named SWAS, SAFAL and STAR. These have been developed by CSIR and these are not only environment friendly but 15-20 % cheaper than the conventional ones. The full forms of the firecrackers are:• SWAS : safe water releaser,
• SAFAL: safe minimal aluminium and
• STAR : safe thermite cracker.
- Where was the seminar on “Gandhian Thoughts and Sanitation” organized by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, recently?
1) Wardha, Maharashtra
2) Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
4) Dispur, Assam
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Wardha, Maharashtra
A seminar titled “Gandhian Thoughts and Sanitation” was organized by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation inWardha district, Maharashtra. The seminar was focused on the Gandhian ideology on sanitation and its implementation through Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM). Topics like appropriate technologies in rural sanitation, organic waste management, and preventive sanitation linked with Nai Talim and industrialization: Gandhi’s concept of Swachh evam Swawalambhi Sankul, were discussed. At the end of the seminar a visit to Sevagram was done, to experience and learn from Gandhiji’s time there.
- Where is the 5th National Summit on Good and Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems in India, held from 30th October to 1st November 2018?
1) New Delhi, Delhi
2) Kaziranga, Assam
3) Vidharba, Maharashtra
4) Jaipur, Rajasthan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kaziranga, Assam
On 30th October 2018, the 5th National Summit on Good and Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems in India started at Kaziranga in Assam. The summit will be held for 3 days. The objective of the summit is to share and learn the good practices implemented by several states and organizations to improve the health sector. Senior officials, public health experts, and experts from academic institutions are taking part in the summit.
- Where was India’s first gallery on robotic dinosaurs opened to the public on 27th October 2018?
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Bengaluru, Karnataka
3) Kapurthala, Punjab
4) Agra, Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kapurthala, Punjab
On 27th October 2018, India’s first gallery on robotic dinosaurs was opened to the public at the Pushpa Gujral Science City, in Kapurthala, Punjab. This gallery is a joint initiative of the Union and state governments. The Pushpa Gujral science city is the biggest project of its kind in northern India. It has been set up in 72 acres of land on Jalandhar-Kapurthala road in Punjab. The gallery was inaugurated by Deputy Commissioner of Kapurthala and the Director General of the science city, Mohd Tayyab.
- Republic of Seychelles launched the world’s first sovereign blue bond worth ______ to finance sustainable marine and fisheries projects, on 29th October 2018?
1) US$15 million
2) US$200 million
3) US$67 million
4) US$89 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) US$15 million
On October 29, 2018, Republic of Seychelles launched the world’s first sovereign blue bond worth US$15 million to finance sustainable marine and fisheries projects. The bond was announced at the Our Ocean Conference in Bali by the Vice-President of the Republic of Seychelles, Vincent Meriton. Seychelles is the first nation to pioneer such a financing instrument. The World Bank assisted in developing the blue bond and reaching out to the three investors: Calvert Impact Capital, Nuveen, and U.S. Headquartered Prudential Financial, Inc. Standard Chartered acted as placement agent for the bond. The Seychelles blue bond is partially guaranteed by a US$5 million guarantee from the World Bank (IBRD) and further supported by a US$5 million concessional loan from the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- World Trade Organization’s dispute settlement body set up a panel to look into the export-subsidy dispute between India and which country on 30th October 2018?
2) United States
4) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United States
On October 30, 2018, the World Trade Organization’s dispute settlement body has set up a panel to look into the India-US export-subsidy dispute. This was established on the request of the US to examine the allegations on India’s export incentive measures. The US has challenged India’s export subsidy programmes such as Merchandise Exports from India Scheme in the WTO, asserting that these initiatives were harming its companies. According to US, all WTO members, including India, are required to provide subsidies consistent with provisions of the WTO’s Agreement on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures.
- Finance ministry has announced the issuance of the 6th tranche of electoral bonds from November 1-10, 2018. Which bank has been authorised to issue and encash electoral bonds through its 29 authorised branches?
1) Axis Bank
2) State Bank of India (SBI)
3) Canara Bank
4) Bank of India (BOI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) State Bank of India (SBI)
On October 30, 2018, the Finance ministry announced the issuance of the 6th tranche of electoral bonds that will take place from November 1-10, 2018. State Bank of India (SBI), has been authorised to issue and encash electoral bonds through its 29 authorised branches with effect from November 1 to 10. The 29 specified SBI branches are in cities like New Delhi, Gandhinagar, Chandigarh, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Mumbai, Jaipur, Lucknow, Chennai, Kolkata and Guwahati.
- Which company has surpassed Amazon as world’s second most valuable company, according to quarterly report of market capitalization?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Microsoft
On October 28, 2018, after the release of quarterly report of market capitalization, Microsoft Corp regained its spot as the second most valuable company in the world, after Apple Inc. It surpassed Amazon.com, that lost $65 billion of market cap and is at the 3rd position, for the first time since April. Microsoft has a m-cap of $823 billion whereas, Amazon.com has a worth of $805 billion. Apple Inc tops the list at over $1 trillion after crossing that threshold in September.
- Who was elected the president of Brazil with effect from 1st January 2019?
1) Fernando Haddad
2) Jair Bolsonaro
3) Michel Temer
4) Wayne Davis
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Jair Bolsonaro
On 29th October 2018, Jair Bolsonaro was elected the president of Brazil. Jair Bolsonaro won 55.2% of the votes surpassing his rival Fernando Haddad of Workers’ Party, who had secured 44.8% in the presidential election. Jair Bolsonaro will assume office as President of Brazil, on 1st January 2019. He will replace Michel Temer. Jair Bolsonaro is 63 years old. He is a former Army captain. He leads the Social Liberal Party (PSL).
- Which spacecraft became the closest spacecraft ever to the Sun, on 29th October 2018?
1) NASA’s Parker Solar Probe
2) NASA’s Hubble Telescope
3) NASA’s Keppler Telescope
4) China’s Chang Telescope
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) NASA’s Parker Solar Probe
NASA’s Parker Solar Probe has become the closest spacecraft to Sun, on 29th October 2018. The spacecraft passed the current record of 26.55 million miles from the Sun’s surface on October 29, as calculated by the Parker Solar Probe team. The previous record for closest solar approach was set by the German-American Helios 2 spacecraft in April 1976.
- Where was the 1st edition of North East Olympic Games 2018 held from 24th to 29th October 2018?
1) Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
2) Shillong, Meghalaya
3) Imphal, Manipur
4) Gangtok, Sikkim
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Imphal, Manipur
From 24th to 29th October 2018, the 1st edition of North East Olympic Games 2018 was held at Main Stadium Khuman Lampak Sports Complex, in Imphal, Manipur. The North East Olympic Games 2018 was organized by Manipur Olympic Association (MOA) under the administration of the North East Olympic Association. It was inaugurated by Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh. 236 participants from Arunachal, 246 from Assam, 134 from Mizoram, 165 from Meghalaya, 224 from Nagaland, 128 from Tripura, 179 from Sikkim and 248 from Manipur, participated. The games included 12 disciplines: Athletics, Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Football, Judo, Karate-Do, Shooting, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Weightlifting and Wushu. Manipur was crowned as the overall champions. Manipur won 159 medals: 80 Gold, 48 Silver and 31 Bronze.
- Name the Indian who finished tied third in the 2018 Isle of Man Chess Tournament that was held at the Villa Marina, Douglas, in Isle of Man, from 20th October to 28th October 2018?
1) Vishwanathan Anand
2) B Adhiban
3) S Parthiban
4) Ishpreet Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) B Adhiban
From 20th October to 28th October 2018, the 2018 Isle of Man Chess Tournament was held at the Villa Marina, Douglas, in Isle of Man. Grandmaster B Adhiban from India beat Michael Adams of England in the ninth and final round, and finished tied third with 6.5 points. He was the best performing Indian at the tournament. He was tied in the third spot with Vladimir Kramnik and Alexander Grischuk of Russia, Hikaru Nakamura and Jeffery Xiong of United States, Gawain Jones of England and Wang Hao of China. Poland’s Radoslav Wojtaszek is the winner of the event. Total prize money of the tournament was 133000 Pounds Sterling. India’s Vishwanathan Anand ended the final round with a draw against Wang Hao and finished with 6 points.
- Who won the WTA Finals in Singapore, on 29th October 2018?
1) Simona Halep
2) Elina Svitolina
3) Serena Williams
4) Naomi Okhura
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Elina Svitolina
On 29th October 2018, Elina Svitolina won the WTA Finals in Singapore. Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina defeated Romania’s Sloane Stephens 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 and won the season-ending WTA Finals. This is the biggest title in Elina Svitolina’s career. She is the first player to go through the WTA Finals undefeated after Serena Williams in 2013.
- Who won the Formula One drivers’ world championship 2018, on 28th October 2018?
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Max Verstappen
3) Kimi Raikkonen
4) Sebastian Vettel
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Lewis Hamilton
On 28th October 2018, Lewis Hamilton won the Formula One drivers’ world championship 2018. This is his 5th drivers’ world championship and he equaled Juan Manuel Fangio’s Formula One record. Max Verstappen won the Mexican Grand Prix, in Mexico. Lewis Hamilton finished in the 4th position in the Mexican Grand Prix. This is the 3rd time he has won the drivers’ world championship
title without finishing on the race podium. He has already won the drivers’ world championship in 2008, 2014, 2015 and 2017. Mexican Grand Prix results:
1 – Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
2 – Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
3 – Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
4 – Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Name the Indian who won the mini cadet boys singles’ title in the 2018 Egypt Junior & Cadet Open table tennis tournament, held in Egypt, from 24th to 28th October 2018?
1) Vishal Rajveer Shah
2) Tushar Sanghvi
3) Sathya Kumar V
4) Raegan Alburquerque
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Vishal Rajveer Shah
India’s Vishal Rajveer Shah won gold and Raegan Alburquerque won silver in the 2018 Egypt Junior & Cadet Open table tennis tournament, held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, from 24th to 28th October 2018. India’s Vishal Rajveer Shah defeated Mostafa 11-6, 11-6, 11-7 and bagged gold medal and won the mini cadet boys singles’ title. India’s Raegan Alburquerque, was defeated by China’s Ding Shixian 11-8, 10-12, 13-11, 11-9, 13-11 in the Junior Boys singles category. Raegan Alburquerque won a silver medal with a cash prize of $150.
- Ntozake Shange, passed away, in the United States, on 27th October 2018. She was a ____?
4) Football player
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Playwright
On 27th October 2018, African American playwright Ntozake Shange, passed away, in the United States. Ntozake Shange was 70 years old. She had addressed sensitive issues related to racism. Her original name was Paulette Linda Williams. Some of her important works are: Daddy Says (1989), From Okra to Greens/A Different Kinda Love Story (1983), Mother Courage and Her Children (1980), For Coloured Girls, etc.
- Yashwant Dev died in Mumbai, on 30th October 2018. He was a composer and _____?
4) Film maker
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Lyricist
On 30th October 2018, senior composer and lyricist Yashwant Dev died in Mumbai. Yashwant Dev was 92 years old. He had composed and written many popular Marathi songs. He had received several awards like: Gan-samradni Lata Mangeshkar Award and Gadima puraskar. He had also worked in Music section of All India Radio, Mumbai.
- When was World Savings Day or World Thrift day celebrated in India?
1) October 25
2) October 30
3) October 31
4) October 29
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) October 30
On 31st October 2018, World Savings Day or World Thrift day was celebrated all over the world. On October 31, 1924, World Savings Day or World Thrift day, was established during the 1st International Savings Bank Congress (World Society of Savings Banks) in Milano, Italy. In India due to the death of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984, this day is celebrated on 30th October. This day creates awareness among people about the importance of saving their money in a bank.
- What was the theme of World Cities Day that was celebrated on October 31, 2018?
1) Better City, Better Life
2) Better Cities and Better World
3) Science and the City
4) The tale of Cities
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Better City, Better Life
October 31 is celebrated as World Cities Day. The general theme of World Cities Day is Better City, Better Life. This theme was selected because cities need support to: Become resilient and develop their capacity to absorb the impact of hazards, Protect and preserve human life and limit damage to and destruction of public and private assets while continuing to provide infrastructure and services after a crisis. It was designated by the United Nations General Assembly by its resolution 68/239. It promotes the international community’s interest in global urbanization, addressing challenges of urbanization, and contributing to sustainable urban development around the world. The main event of this years ‘World Cities Day’ was celebrated in Liverpool, UK.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Director General of National Mission for Clean Ganga?Rajiv Ranjan Mishra
- Where is Anamudi Shola National Park located?Kerala
- Who is the governor of Assam?Jagdish Mukhi
- Name the President and headquarters of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)?President – PM Narendra Modi; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Name the Director General and headquarters of World Trade Organization (WTO)?Director-General – Roberto Azevêdo; Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland