AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 23 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurate the 3-day “Vishwa Shanti Ahimsa Sammelan” (world peace and non-violence conference) on 22nd October 2018?
1) Nashik, Maharashtra
2) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
3) Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
4) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nashik, Maharashtra
On 22nd October 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the three-day “Vishwa Shanti Ahimsa Sammelan” (world peace and non-violence conference) at Mangi Tungi in Satana taluka, of Nashik district, Maharashtra. The conference was organised by the Bhagwan Rishabhdev Murti Nirmaan Samiti. Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadanvis participated in the event. The President presented the 1st international “Bhagwan Rishabhdev Award” to Teerthanker Mahaveer University of Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh. The award consisted of a cash prize of Rs. 11 lakh, a memento and a citation. It was received by chancellor of Teerthanker Mahaveer University Suresh Jain. The president released a book titled ‘Sarvoccha Digambar Jain Pratima’.
- How many agreements did India and Croatia sign during the Croatia’s 14th Minister of Foreign and European Affairs and deputy prime minister Marija Pejcinovic Buric one day visit to India, on 22nd October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 2
On October 22 2018 India and Croatia signed two agreements during the 14th Minister of Foreign and European Affairs and deputy Prime Minister Marija Pejcinovic Buric one day visit to India. This is the first Croatian foreign minister to visit the country after 17 years. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and her Croatian counterpart Marija Pejcinovic Buric signed two agreements to facilitate cultural exchange and diplomatic cooperation. They also discussed about the co-operation in political, trade and investment, health and pharmaceuticals, science and technology, tourism and culture.
- United Nations backed Green Climate Fund has approved _____ dollars for supporting climate resilience of millions of people living in the coastal states of Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha?
1) USD 52.5 million
2) USD 43.4 million
3) USD 63.8 million
4) USD 72.7 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) USD 43.4 million
On October 22 2018 UN-backed fund has approved USD 43.4 million for supporting climate resilience of millions of people living in the coastal states of Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha of India to combat extreme impacts of climate change during the 21st meeting of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Board at Manama, Bahrain. The new project will be supported through the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and is an essential step for India in reaching its goals outlined in the Paris Agreement and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Government of India will finance an additional US$86.8 million toward the new project to mainstream and accelerate the impacts of the Green Climate Fund grant.
- Name the chairperson of the Insolvency Law Committee that submitted its 2nd Report on Cross Border Insolvency and Recommends adoption of the UNCITRAL Model Law of Cross Border Insolvency, 1997?
1) Injeti Srinivas
2) Anil Kumar Jha
3) NK Singh
4) Ravindra Chatterjee
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Injeti Srinivas
On October 22 2018 Ministry of Corporate Affairs constituted Insolvency Law Committee (ILC) to recommend modification to Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code of India, 2016, and has submitted its 2nd Report to the Government, which deals with cross border insolvency. Chairman of ILC Injeti Srinivas handed over this report to Shri Arun Jaitley, Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs. UNCITRAL Model Law of Cross Border Insolvency, 1997 was recommended by ICL to adopt as it provides a complete agenda to deal with cross border insolvency issues.
- Where did the six-day 27th International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) start on 22nd October 2018?
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Jaipur, Rajasthan
3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
4) Kolkata, West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
On 22nd October 2018, the six-day 27th International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) started in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. It is organised by IAEA. It is hosted by the Department of Atomic Energy and Gandhinagar-based Institute of Plasma Research. It aims to provide a platform for discussion of major physics and technology issues and innovative concepts related to the use of nuclear fusion as a source of energy. International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) Organisation, European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom), research institutes involved in developing smaller plasma devices, etc. are participating in the conference.
- Where was the 4th edition of NITI Lecture Series held on 22nd October 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On 22nd October 2018, NITI Aayog organized the 4th edition of NITI Lecture Series at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the Lecture series. Key note address was delivered by Jensen Huang, President and Co-Founder, NVIDIA Corporation. The theme for 2018 was “AI for ALL: Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Inclusive Growth”. Union Ministers, policy makers, experts from various fields, NITI Aayog Vice Chairman, Members, CEO and Senior officials participated. The ‘NITI Lectures: Transforming India’ was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 26, 2016. It is held every year.
- Where was the one-day National Workshop for Orientation of District Officials of Aspirational Districts on Health and Nutrition held on 22nd October 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
It was organized by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD). It was inaugurated by Ashwini Kumar Choubey and Anupriya Patel, Ministers of State for Health and Family Welfare. State Health Ministers launched the Operational Guidelines on Aspirational Districts for Health and Nutrition and the e-Mitra mobile application. The e-Mitra (Mobile Integrated Toolkit RMNCH+A) app has been designed to complement the Aspirational District Programme.
- Where was the 4-day international dance festival titled “Udbhav Utsav” inaugurated by Uzbekistan Ambassador to India Farhod Arziev, on 21st October 2018?
1) Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
2) Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
3) Ladakh, Jammu & Kashmir
4) Cuttack, Odisha
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
On 21st October 2018, Uzbekistan Ambassador to India Farhod Arziev inaugurated a 4-day international dance festival titled “Udbhav Utsav” in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh. This dance festival is sponsored by the Greenwood group of schools. This is the 15th year for this festival. The inaugural session was held in Jiwaji Club, Gwalior. Dance troupes from Bulgaria, Turkey and Sri Lanka, and 25 teams from India, will participate. Keshav Pandey is the organising committee president.
- ‘Druzhba-III’, the 3rd edition of joint bilateral military training exercise between Pakistan and which country is held from 22nd October to 4th November 2018, in Pakistan?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Russia
From 22nd October to 4th November 2018, ‘Druzhba-III’, the 3rd edition of joint bilateral military training exercise between Pakistan and Russia is held in Pakistan. The exercise will be held at the training range in Nowshera district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, in Pakistan. More than 70 soldiers from Russia’s southern military district will participate. This will be the 3rd joint military drill between Pakistan and Russia under the bilateral training cooperation agreement. This exercise is held since 2016. Armed forces from both the countries will perform tasks at an altitude of 1,400 meters above sea level. In August 2018, an agreement was signed allowing Pakistani troops to train in Russia. It was signed during the 1st Russia-Pakistan Joint Military Consultative Committee (JMCC) meeting on security and defence.
- Name the QR-based smartphone payment service launched by Paytm in Japan in collaboration with SoftBank and Yahoo Japan Corporation, on 22nd October 2018?
4) Scan n Pay
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) PayPay
On October 22 2018 Paytm, run by One 97 Communications Ltd has launched a QR-based smartphone payment service called ’PayPay’ in Japan in collaboration with SoftBank and Yahoo Japan Corporation. PayPay allows users to store money from a bank account in their “PayPay” wallet and aims to promote the use of cashless payment in Japan.Japan accounts for only 20% of overall cashless transactions in the country. Yahoo Japan will terminate its current smartphone settlement function “Yahoo! Wallet” with the launch of payment service called “PayPay”.
- IL&FS (Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services) board of directors have appointed which firm as the restructuring advisor to the company’s board, on 22nd October 2018?
1) Arpwood Capital
2) JM Financial
3) Alvarez and Marsal (A&M)
4) IndusInd Capital Investors
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Alvarez and Marsal (A&M)
On October 22 2018 IL&FS (Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services) board of directors has appointed Arpwood Capital Pvt Ltd and JM Financial Consultants Pvt Ltd as financial and transaction advisors (FTAs) and Alvarez and Marsal (A&M) as the restructuring advisor for the company. IL&FS and its subsidiaries have defaulted on several debt repayments recently due to liquidity crisis. Infrastructure builder and financier IL&FS has accumulated debts of Rs 90,000 crore and recently defaulted on a host of short-term borrowings. The central government stepped in to replace the board of directors with a new board led by banker Uday Kotak.
- Scientists have found that violent flares from the host star might make planets orbiting it, uninhabitable by affecting their atmospheres, using which telescope of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)?
1) Kepler Telescope
2) Hubble Space Telescope
3) Rimmer Space Telescope
4) Silver Liner Space Telescope
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Hubble Space Telescope
Scientists have found that violent flares from the host star might make planets orbiting it, uninhabitable by affecting their atmospheres, using National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)’s Hubble Space Telescope. NASA’s Hubble telescope is observing such stars through a large programme called HAZMAT (Habitable Zones and M dwarf Activity across Time). This programme is an ultraviolet survey of red dwarfs at 3 different ages: young, intermediate, and old. As per NASA, stellar flares from red dwarf star, are particularly bright in ultraviolet wavelengths, compared with Sun-like stars.
- Which team won its 3rd Vijay Hazare Trophy title at M Chinnaswamy stadium, in Bengaluru, Karnataka, on 20thOctober 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mumbai
On 20th October 2018, Mumbai won its 3rd Vijay Hazare Trophy title at M Chinnaswamy stadium, in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Mumbai defeated Delhi by 4 wickets. Mumbai won the toss and opted to bowl. They bowled out Delhi for 177 runs in 45.4 overs. Mumbai last won the trophy in 2006-07.
- Which Formula 1 (F1) racer won the US Grand Prix, on 21st October 2018?
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Sebastian Vettel
3) Valterri Bottas
4) Kimi Raikkonen
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Kimi Raikkonen
On October 21 2018 Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen claimed his first victory of F1 race US Grand Prix in Texas. It was the longest gap between wins in F1 history, beating the previous mark of Italian Riccardo Patrese. Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was runner up and Lewis Hamilton secured third position.
- Who won the Men’s Singles title of the Danisa Denmark Open 2018 (Badminton) tournament held in Odense, Denmark, from 16 to 21 October 2018?
1) Kento Momota
2) Chou Tien Chen
3) Marcus Fernaldi Gideon
4) Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kento Momota
From 16 to 21 October 2018, Danisa Denmark Open 2018 (Badminton) tournament was held in Odense Sports Park, Odense, Denmark. Denmark Open is a HSBC World Tour Super 750 tournament. It is held since 1935 as an annual badminton tournament by Danmarks Badminton Forbund.
Event Winner Runner-up Men’s Singles Kento Momota (Japan) Chou Tien Chen (Chinese Taipei) Women’s Singles Tai Tzu-ying (Chinese Taipei) Saina Nehwal (India) Men’s Doubles Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (Indonesia) Takeshi Kamura, Keigo Sonoda (Japan) Women’s Doubles Yuki Fukushima, Sayaka Hirota (Japan) Shiho Tanaka, Koharu Yonemoto (Japan) Mixed Doubles Zheng Siwei, Huang Yaqiong (China) Dechapol Puavaranukroh, Sapsiree Taerattanachai (Thailand)
- Indian player Praveen Kumar announced his retirement from which sport on 20th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Cricket
On 20th October 2018, Indian pacer Praveen Kumar announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. Praveen Kumar is 32 years old. He hails from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. He represented India in 84 international matches between 2007 and 2012 and gained 112 wickets in Tests, One Day Internationals (ODIs) and Twenty20 International (T20I). He made his ODI debut in 2007. He is known for his ability to swing the ball in both ways. He also played for Kings XI Punjab, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Sunrisers Hyderabad, and Gujarat Lions teams in the Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament. He took 90 wickets in 119 matches. He played a major role in India’s title win in the Commonwealth Bank ODI tri-series in Australia in 2008. He is also India’s highest wicket-taker on England tour in 2011, where he took 15 wickets in 3 Tests.
- Rangana Herath of which country has announced that he will retire from Test Cricket in November 2018?
3) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka spinner Rangana Herath has announced that he will retire from Test Cricket after playing the first Test of Sri Lanka’s upcoming 3-match series against England from November 6 to 27, 2018, in Sri Lanka. He is 40 years old. He is a left-arm bowler. He made his Test debut in 1999. He has played 92 Test matches and has taken 430 wickets with an economy rate of 2.81. He is Sri Lanka’s second highest wicket-taker after Muttiah Muralitharan, who has taken 800 Test wickets.
- Who won the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon men’s race on 21st October 2018?
1) Andamalak Belihu
2) Ian Wallace
3) Amdework Walelegn
4) Daniel Kipchumba
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Andamalak Belihu
Ethiopian teenager Andamalak Belihu overcame compatriot Amdework Walelegn in the men’s elite field and won his maiden Airtel Delhi Half Marathon on 21st October 2018. The 19-year-old Belihu, who finished second last year, improved on his personal best timing to clock 59.18 seconds. However, he was unable to break the course record of 59.06 seconds which still stands in the name of Ethiopia’s Guye Adola, set in 2014. Walelegn clinched the silver, ending the race with a time of 59.22 seconds, while Kenya’s Daniel Kipchumba grabbed the third spot clocking 59.48 seconds.
- Osamu Shimomura, the Nobel Prize winner in chemistry died on 19th November 2018. He was a ____?
1) Marine biologist
4) Genetic Scientist
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Marine biologist
On Oct.22 2018 Marine biologist Osamu Shimomura, the Nobel Prize winner in chemistry has died at the age of 90. Shimomura and two American scientists shared the 2008 Nobel Prize for the discovery and development of a jellyfish protein that later contributed to cancer studies. Shimomura was born in northern Kyoto in 1928 and studied in Nagasaki,Japan. Shimomura was based in the U.S., but had moved back to Nagasaki.
- Where did Air Force Station Nal conduct an outreach programme named ‘Vayusena Pradarshani’, on 21stOctober 2018?
1) Rajkot, Gujarat
2) Bikaner, Rajasthan
3) Guwahati, Assam
4) New Delhi, Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bikaner, Rajasthan
On 21st October 2018, Air Force Station Nal conducted an outreach programme ‘Vayusena Pradarshani’, as part of Air Force Day Celebration, in Bikaner, Rajasthan. Indian Air Force Day was observed on 8th October 2018, which is the 86th anniversary of Indian Air Force. Nearly 1.5 lakh people including civilians, armed force personnel, paramilitary forces and around 12000 children from schools and colleges viewed the programme. Suryakiran Aerobatic Team, Akash Ganga Sky Diving Team and Air Warrior Drill Team (AWDT) were displayed.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Chairperson and headquarters of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)?Chairperson – Leena Al-Hadid; Headquarters – Vienna, Austria
- Who is the CEO of IL&FS (Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services)?Arun K. Saha
- Where is Gugamal National Park located?Maharashtra
- Name the capital and currency of Croatia?Capital – Zagreb; Currency – Kuna
- Who is the President of Pakistan?Arif Alvi