AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 20 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC) has made it mandatory for medium and large enterprises in key sectors to allocate funds for research and development. Name the head of PM-STIAC?
1) Dr. K. Vijay Raghavan
2) S Arumugaswamy
3) Sushil Kumar
4) Dr. Virendra Jha
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. K. Vijay Raghavan
On October 20, 2018, the Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC) announced its order to make it mandatory for medium and large enterprises in key sectors to set aside funds for research and development. The high-level panel wants the private sector to have a share of at least 1% of GDP by 2022. The council wants, GDP of India to be 1.5% in the Next 5 years which is the present average Global GDP. This decision was taken after the Economic Survey pointed out that not enough investment in this sector is being given. A 21-member Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC) was comprised to advise Prime Minister Narendra Modi on science, technology and innovations was set up in August 29, 2018. Secretaries of at least 10 central ministries, related to science, technology, energy and education, are special invitees to the panel. It is headed by Principal scientific adviser Dr. K. Vijay Raghavan.
- Where will India’s first railway station inside tunnel named Keylong station be set up?
3) Himachal Pradesh
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Himachal Pradesh
On October 20, 2018, India for the first time announced a railway station named, the Keylong station, to be built inside a tunnel at a height of 3,000 metres in Himachal Pradesh. This will be built along the Bilaspur-Manali-Leh line close to the Sino-India border. The station will be at a height of around 3,000 metres and will be inside a 27-km-long tunnel. It will connect all important locations between Bilaspur and Leh like Sundernagar, Mandi, Manali, Keylong, Koksar, Darcha, Upshi and Karu and other towns of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir. After completion, the line will halve the duration taken to cover the distance between Delhi and Leh, from 40 hours to 20 hours.
- Where will the fourth edition of Global Partners’ Forum be held on 12th and 13th December 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
India will host the fourth edition of Global Partners’ Forum on 12th and 13th December 2018 in New Delhi. The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) will unite over 100 countries’ representatives to discuss issues, strategies and solutions to women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health. It will be co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and PMNCH.
- World’s longest sea bridge Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge has been constructed between Hong Kong and which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) China
The world’s longest sea bridge Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge between China-Hong Kong will be opened for traffic on October 24, 2018. The bridge is 55 kilometers long. It is situated in the Lingdingyang waters of the Pearl River Estuary. The construction of this bridge started in December 2009. It will reduce travel time between Hong Kong and Zhuhai, in China, from 3 hours to 30 minutes. It will also integrate the cities in the Pearl River Delta. The number of permits for cross-border private cars through the bridge has been fixed at 5,000. A government-commissioned study from 2016 estimated that 29,100 vehicles would use this bridge daily by 2030.
- Where was 7th meeting of education ministers of member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) held on 17th October 2018?
1) Astana, Kazakhstan
2) Beijing, China
3) New Delhi, India
4) Dhaka, Bangladesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Astana, Kazakhstan
On 17 October 2018, 7th meeting of education ministers of member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) was held in Astana, Kazakhstan. The meeting was organised with the assistance of: Government of Kazakhstan, Ministry of Education and Science of Kazakhstan, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan and Rector’s Office of the University of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, (USCO) and the main (basic) universities of Kazakhstan, affiliated with USCO. Minister of Education and Science of Kazakhstan Yerlan Sagadiyev chaired the event. Measures to implement the 15 June 2006 agreement on cooperation in education between the governments of SCO member states throughout 2019 and 2020 was approved.
- Where will the first ASEAN-China Maritime Exercise be held from 22nd to 27th October 2018?
2) Saudi Arabia
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
On October 19, 2018, Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen at a gathering of ASEAN defence ministers in Singapore announced commencement of first joint maritime exercises of China and ASEAN countries on last week of October in China. The navies of China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will hold ASEAN-China Maritime Exercise in the South China Sea near the city of Zhanjiang, in China.
- Which organization has signed a MoU with the Dubai Internet City (DIC)to help small and medium-sized Indian enterprises expand their operations in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region?
1) National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)
2) NITI Aayog
3) Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
4) Export–Import Bank of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)
National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has signed a MoU with the Dubai Internet City (DIC)to help small and medium-sized Indian enterprises expand their operations in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. The MoU between NASSCOM and the Dubai Internet City DIC is the first of its kind in the MENA region. The MoU was signed by Ammar al-Malik, Managing Director of DIC and Dubai Outsource City (DOC) and Kamal Agarwala, SME Council Chair, NASSCOM. As per the MoU, DIC will give NASSCOM’s, small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) members opportunity to develop their operations by offering support and a platform to expand in the MENA region. DIC already houses Indian companies like Tata Consultancy Services, Tech Mahindra, Wipro, and the HCL Technologies.
- Who will be awarded the annual Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award at the two-day Indian classical music festival scheduled to be held on October 21-22, 2018?
1) Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
2) Pandit Sailesh Kumar Chaudhary
3) Krishna Kant
4) Salim Ali
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
On October 20, 2018, Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana announced Grammy-winning Hindustani classical music instrumentalist Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt as the recipient of the annual Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award. The award will be given at the two-day Indian classical music festival scheduled to be held on October 21-22, 2018 and organized by Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana. Mr. Bhatt is known for his Grammy award winning album “A Meeting by the River” with Ry Cooder.
- Name the Indian-American woman who received the ‘Presidential Medal for Combating Human Trafficking’ in the White House, USA, on 19th October 2018?
1) Minal Patel Davis
2) Sonica Sharma
3) Debashree Patil
4) Sakshi Chawla
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Minal Patel Davis
On October 19, 2018, Indian-American woman Minal Patel Davis, received the ‘Presidential Medal for Combating Human Trafficking’ in the White House, USA. She received the award from US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for her extraordinary contribution towards combatting human trafficking in Houston. She is currently the Special Advisor on Human Trafficking to Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. She is a past speaker at the United Nations World Humanitarian Summit.
- Who was sworn in as Yemen’s new Prime Minister on 20th October 2018?
1) Ahmed Obein Bin Diger
2) Maeen Abdulmalik
3) Raoof Mohammed
4) Mohammed Sahil
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Maeen Abdulmalik
On October 20, 2018, Yemen’s newly appointed Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik took the oath before Yemeni President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He replaced his sacked predecessor Ahmed Obeid bin Daghr.
- Name the non-executive director of IL&FS Investment Managers Ltd who resigned on 19th October 2018?
1) Vibhav Kapoor
2) Vineet Nayyar
3) Abhishek Sharma
4) Tarun Malik
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Vibhav Kapoor
On 19th October 2018, IL&FS Investment Managers Ltd non-executive director Vibhav Kapoor resigned from its board. The reason for his resignation was not revealed. Several top officials had resigned from the group recently, following allegations on the IL&FS group regarding defaults in loan payment and corporate governance issues. Independent directors of IL&FS Financial Services: Renu Challu, Surinder Singh Kohli, Shubhalakshmi Panse and Uday Ved had resigned recently. Also, IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company’s Managing Director Murli Dhar Khattar had resigned on October 3, 2018.
- Which country’s indigenously designed and built amphibious aircraft AG600 is the world’s largest aircraft that completed its maiden flight?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
On October 20, 2018, China’s indigenously designed and built amphibious aircraft AG600 is the world’s largest aircraft that completed its maiden flight. It was developed by the state-owned aircraft firm Aviation Industry Corporation of China. The aircraft code-named Kunlong was piloted by four crew members. It took off from the Zhanghe Reservoir and landed on the water in Hubei province’s Jingmen. It is powered by four domestically-built turboprop engines and has a range of 12 hours and can have a high speed of 145 kilometres. It will be mainly used for maritime rescue, fighting forest fires and marine monitoring.
- Which country successfully tested the world’s largest unmanned transport drone named Feihong-98 (FH-98), on 17th October 2018?
4) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) China
On October 17, 2018, China successfully tested the world’s largest unmanned transport drone. It’s name is Feihong-98 (FH-98) and it can carry a payload of 1.5 tonnes. It was developed and modified by the China Academy of Aerospace Electronics Technology. It was adapted from the prototype of the Shifei Y5B, a China-developed first fully domestically-built transport aircraft. FH-98 has a flight height of 4,500 metres, a cruising speed of 180 kilometers per hour, and a maximum range of 1,200 kms. It features simple take-off and landing, simple operation, advanced technology, at an affordable cost.
- Where was the Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018 held from 6th to 18th October 2018?
1) Buenos Aires, Argentina
2) Sydney, Australia
3) New Delhi, India
4) Seoul, South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Buenos Aires, Argentina
From 6th to 18th October 2018, Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018 was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Manu Bhaker led the Indian team as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent in the opening ceremony. Jeremy Lalrinnunga was India’s flag bearer at the closing ceremony. 4,000 athletes, from 206 teams, aged 15-18 participated. Indian contingent consisted of 68 members, including 46 athletes. This is India’s largest ever contingent at the Youth Olympics. Russian Federation topped the medal tally with 59 medals: 29 gold, 18 silver and 12 bronze medals. Japan secured 2nd position with 39 medals: 15 gold, 12 silver, 12 bronze. India obtained 18th position with 13 Medals: 3 gold, 9 silver and 1 bronze.
- Who became the 1st Indian shooter to win gold in Youth Olympic Games, by winning gold medal in 10m Air Pistol Women’s Shooting event of Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018?
1) Lakshya Sen
2) Manu Bhaker
3) Tababi Devi Thangjam
4) Mehuli Ghosh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Manu Bhaker
Gold medal winners:
[su_table] Silver medal winners:
Sl. No. Event Winner Highlights 1 10m Air Pistol Men’s Shooting Saurabh Chaudhary 2 Men’s 62kg Weightlifting Jeremy Lalrinnunga India’s first ever Youth Olympics Gold medal 3 10m Air Pistol Women Shooting Manu Bhaker Manu Bhaker has become the 1stIndian shooter to win gold in Youth Olympic Games
Sl. No. Event Winners Highlights
[/su_table] India men’s national field hockey team consisted of:
Sl. No. Event Winners Highlights 1 Archery – Men’s Recurve Individual Akash Malik India’s first silver-medallist in archery at the Youth Olympic Games 2 Hockey5s Men’s team event Indian Men’s Hockey team won silver medals in their debut 3 Hockey5s Women’s team event Indian Women’s Hockey team won silver medals in their debut 4 Badminton Men’s Singles Lakshya Sen 5 10m Air Rifle Women’s Shooting Mehuli Ghosh 6 10m Air Rifle Men’s Shooting Shahu Tushar Mane 7 Women’s Freestyle 43kg Wrestling Simran Simran 8 Athletics – Men’s 5000m Race Walk Suraj Panwar 9 Women’s 44 kg Judo Tababi Devi Thangjam India’s first judo medallist at the Olympic level
• Prashant Chauhan, Sudeep Chirmako, Shivam Anand, Pawan, Rahul Rajbhar, Sanjay, Maninder Singh, Vivek Prasad, Rabichandra Moirangathem.
India women’s national field hockey team consisted of:
• Bichu Devi Kharibam, Baljeet Kaur, Ishika Chaudhary, Chetna, Khushboo, Reet, Salima Tete, Lalremsiami, Mumtaz Khan.
Bronze medal winners:
Sl. No. Event Winner 1 Athletics – Men’s Triple Jump Praveen Chithravel
- Force India has announced a one-year extension for 2019 for which Formula One Mexican driver?
1) Justin Hall
2) Sergio Perez
3) Tommy Heather
4) Rafale Steiner
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sergio Perez
Force India has announced a one-year extension for 2019 for Formula One Mexican driver Sergio Perez. Sergio Perez has been with Force India since 2014. He is in 7th position in the 2018 championship standings. He has held the 7th position since 2016. He has achieved 5 podium finishes in his career. His best finish of this season was a third place at Azerbaijan. He is 28 years old.
- When was National Solidarity day celebrated?
1) October 18
2) October 19
3) October 20
4) October 21
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) October 20
On 20th October 2018, National Solidarity day was observed in India. National Solidarity day is observed in India on October 20 every year. On October 20, 1962, China started the attacks on India and the Sino-Indian War started. National Solidarity Day is an annual reminder of fundamental unity. This day honours our Armed Forces who guard our extensive borders.
- When is World Statistics Day observed?
1) October 18
2) October 17
3) October 21
4) October 20
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) October 20
World Statistics Day started in the year 2010. It is observed on October 20, once in every 5 years. It was last celebrated under the leadership of former United Nations General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon in 2015. The next celebration will be on October 20, 2020.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Great Himalayan National Park located?Himachal Pradesh
- Name the Secretary General and headquarters of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)?Secretary General – Rashid Alimov; Headquarters – Beijing, China
- Where is the headquarters of Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)?Jakarta, Indonesia
- Name the President of National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)?Debjani Ghosh
- Where is the headquarters of National Commission for Women (NCW)?New Delhi