AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 12 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- The report named “Strengthening Forest Fire Management in India”, released on October 9, 2018, was jointly prepared by the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and which entity?
1) NITI Aayog
2) World Bank
3) World Wildlife Fund
4) Asian Development Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) World Bank
On October 9, 2018, the report named “Strengthening Forest Fire Management in India”, jointly prepared by the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and the World Bank was released. The report was released by Dr Harsh Vardhan, Hon. Minister of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change. The report states that forest fires are the leading cause of forest degradation in India. Inspite of having increased forest cover to over 20 percent of its geographical area, regeneration is either inadequate or absent in about 45 percent of all forest areas. About 95 percent of all forest plots inventoried show some signs of degradation. The report also discusses policies on forest fire prevention and management (FFPM) at the national, state and local levels.
- The government reduced excise duty on jet fuel to _____ % from current 14 %, with effect from 12th October 2018?
1) 10 %
2) 12 %
3) 11 %
4) 9 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 11 %
On 11th October 2018, the government reduced excise duty on jet fuel to 11 % from current 14 % inorder to help the aviation industry that has been affected badly by high fuel prices. The Revenue Department of the Finance Ministry has notified that the excise duty on aviation turbine fuel (ATF) change will come to effect from 12th October 2018.
- Where was India’s first India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, launched, on 10th October 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bengaluru
On 10th October 2018, India’s first India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, was launched in Bengaluru. IIIC will help Israeli companies enter India. It will enable local partnerships and joint ventures between companies from India and Israel. It will create an ecosystem to support entrepreneurship, partnership with vendors, mentoring and non-formal community development and covers business, technology, investors and customers. Start-ups that are part of IIIC will be offered mentorship, guidance and opportunities to participate at all IIIC’s global events.
- Delhi government signed a twin-city agreement with which government for cooperation in various fields like environment, culture and education, for the next 3 years, on 5th October 2018?
1) Moscow, Russia
2) Bern, Switzerland
3) Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4) New York, United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Moscow, Russia
5th October 2018, Delhi government signed a twin-city agreement with the government of Moscow, Russia, for cooperation in various fields like environment, culture and education, for the next 3 years. The agreement was signed by Minister of the Moscow City government and head of its international relations Sergey Cheremin and Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. The two governments have mutually agreed to extend the Twining Agreement for a period of 3 years, from November 1, 2018, in environmental protection and air pollution control, cultural and tourism, healthcare, education, sports, transport management and e-governance. The agreement will also help in enhancing friendship and cooperation between the two cities and maintain regular contacts between the two governments.
- Where will be Indus Food-II, an export focused annual F&B (Food and Beverage) trade fair, held on January 14-15, 2019?
3) Greater Noida
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Greater Noida
Indus Food-II tradeshow, will be held in Greater Noida on January 14-15, 2019. Indusfood-II is an export focused annual F&B (Food and Beverage) trade fair. It will exhibit India’s best food, beverages and agri products to global buyers. It is organized by Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) along with commerce and industry ministry. Over 600 global buyers from nearly 50 countries will participate in Indusfood-II. Delegations from various countries will be involved in strategic purchase of food commodities through investments or long-term purchase agreements to achieve the food security of their country or to supply their food processing industries. Indusfood-I, the first edition of this trade show, was held in early 2018.
- Former ISRO scientist, Nambi Narayanan was given Rs 50 lakh by which state government, as compensation to him for being falsely implicated in the 1994 espionage case?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kerala
On October 9, 2018, 76-year old, former ISRO scientist, Nambi Narayanan was given Rs 50 lakh by the Kerala government in compliance with a September 14 Supreme Court order. This was given at a function organised at the state secretariat in Thiruvananthapuram. The order required the awarding the compensation to him for being falsely implicated in the 1994 espionage case. In the order, the Supreme Court directed the state government to pay the compensation within eight weeks.
- How many MoUs were signed between India and Tajikistan, during President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Tajikistan from 7 – 9 October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 9
On October 7, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind commenced his 3-day visit to Tajikistan till October 9, 2018. On October 8, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind met his Tajikistan counterpart Mr. Emomali Rahmon in Dushanbe. Both the countries singed the following 9 MOUs:
• Political relations: MOU between Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India for the period 2018-2021.
• Strategic research: MOU between The Centre for Strategic Researches under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan and Vivekananda International Foundation, New Delhi.
• Agriculture: MOU between Academy of Agricultural Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India.
• Renewable energy: MOU between Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy of the Republic of India.
• Traditional medicine: MOU between State Educational Establishment “Tajik State Medical University named after Abuali Ibn Sino”and the Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, an Organization under the Ministry of AYUSH.
• Space technology: MOU between Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Government of the Republic of India,
• Youth affairs : MOU between the Committee on Youth Affairs and Sports under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Republic of India.
• Disaster Management: MOU between Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Government of the Republic of India.
• Culture: MOU between the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of India for cultural exchange for the years 2019-2023.
- Which country has the most powerful passport, according to 2018 Henley Index?
4) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Japan
On October 11, 2018, according to 2018 Henley Index, Japan surpassed Singapore to have the most powerful passport. This index has been compiled by advisory firm Henley & Partners. The index is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association. Japan passport holders now enjoy visa-free access to 190 destinations, compared with Singapore’s 189. Germany has fallen to 3rd place, tied with South Korea and France with 188 visa-free destinations. Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Spain, Italy tied at the 4th place with 187 destinations. Former top spot holders the United States and the United Kingdom, who tied for No. 1 in 2015, are now at No. 5.
- Reserve Bank announced injection of liquidity worth _____ rupees into the system through purchase of government bonds, under Open Market Operations, on October 11, 2018?
1) Rs 12,000 crore
2) Rs 55,000 crore
3) Rs 45,000 crore
4) Rs 32,000 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 12,000 crore
On October 10, 2018, Reserve Bank announced injection of liquidity worth Rs 12,000 crore into the system through purchase of government bonds on October 11 under Open Market Operations. The government will purchase bonds with maturity ranging between 2020 to 2030. As part of the OMOs, the purchase of government securities maturing will bear interest rate of:
• 8.27 per cent in 2020,
• 8.15 per cent in 2022,
• 7.35 per cent in 2024,
• 8.15 per cent in 2026 and
• 7.61 per cent in 2030.
- IMF (International Monetary Fund) has stated that India’s debt is lower than the global average as percentage of world GDP and global debt has reached a new record high of _____ dollars in 2017?
1) USD 182 trillion
2) USD 235 billion
3) USD 567 trillion
4) USD 127 trillion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 182 trillion
On October 11, 2018, IMF clarified that India’s debt is lower than the global average as percentage of world GDP. According to IMF, the global debt has reached a new record high of USD 182 trillion in 2017. In India, private debt in 2017 was 54.5 per cent of the GDP and the general government debt was 70.4 per cent of the GDP totaling upto 125% of the GDP. Since the end of 2015, 2016 and 2017, the private debt in India has declined from almost 60 per cent to 54.5 which makes India steady. However, China has a high debt percentage of 247 per cent of the GDP.
- Which bank signed a 3 year MOU with Kathmandu-based National Banking Institute (NBI) for development of human resources, on 10th October 2018?
1) State Bank of India (SBI)
2) Axis Bank
3) ICICI Bank
4) HDFC Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) State Bank of India (SBI)
On October 10, 2018, State Bank of India signed a 3 year MOU with Kathmandu-based National Banking Institute (NBI) for development of human resources. Under the MOU, SBI will help establish a mutually beneficial strategic alliance for NBI’s human resources development by providing education, training and research.
- National Stock Exchange (NSE) signed a MoU with which state government to offer access for capital to MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) to enhance their growth in the state?
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Uttarakhand
On 10th October 2018, National Stock Exchange (NSE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Uttarakhand government to offer access to capital to MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) to enhance their growth in the state. This MoU aims to improve the SMEs and start-ups by creating awareness on opportunities to raise capital, SME exchange guidelines, listing processes, compliances with listing agreement, etc. NSE will support the government to improve the financing opportunities for MSMEs in Uttarakhand, by listing on NSE’s SME platform named Emerge. The government will help MSMEs to get listed on NSE Emerge platform, by helping them financially or in other ways to bear the expenses related to listing.
- Which company partnered with NITI Aayog to offer internship programme to top performing students selected by the Atal Innovation Mission, on 10th October 2018?
1) IBM India
4) Mahindra Tech
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) IBM India
On 10th October 2018, IBM India partnered with NITI Aayog to offer internship programme to top performing students selected by the Atal Innovation Mission. More than 40 high school students will undergo a 2-week paid internship at the IBM Bengaluru campus. They will be imparted skills in areas like artificial intelligence, Internet-of-Things, cybersecurity, cloud computing and blockchain. They will also be taught critical workplace skills. Also, select teachers will be trained by IBM volunteers and mentors to become innovation coaches. This collaboration between IBM India and NITI Aayog will expose students to new technologies and make them future-proof.
- Infosys Foundation announced ____ rupees reward to push innovation in social work following increase in funds under the government rules, on 8th October 2018?
1) Rs 1.5 crore
2) Rs 3 crore
3) Rs 2.5 crore
4) Rs 4 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 1.5 crore
On 8th October 2018, Infosys Foundation announced Rs 1.5 crore reward to push innovation in social work following increase in funds under the government rules. Under the government rules, it is mandatory for certain categories of company to spend, in every financial year, at least two per cent of the average net profits made during the three immediately preceding financial years, in pursuance of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) policy.
- ChrysCapital Advisors LLP has appointed former SBI (State Bank of India) chairperson _____ as an advisor?
1) Rajinish Kumar
2) Arundhati Bhattacharya
3) Rana Kapoor
4) Rajiv Mathur
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Arundhati Bhattacharya
Private equity firm ChrysCapital Advisors LLP has appointed former SBI (State Bank of India) chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya as an advisor. Arundhati Bhattacharya will advise on ChrysCapital’s strategy and investments. She will work with ChrysCapital managing partner Kunal Shroff and other partners. Arundhati Bhattacharya joined SBI in 1977 as a probationary officer. She became the first woman Chairman of SBI in 2013. She retired from SBI in October 2017.
- Who was appointed as the Solicitor General of India by the central government, on 10th October 2018?
1) Ranjit Kumar
2) Tushar Mehta
3) Kunal Singh
4) Vasuki Soni
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tushar Mehta
On 10th October 2018, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta was appointed as the Solicitor General of India by the central government. Tushar Mehta replaces Ranjit Kumar. The post had been lying vacant since October 20, 2017. Appointment Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved his appointment for a period till June 30, 2020. Tushar Mehta became Additional Solicitor General (ASG) in 2014. Solicitor General is a legal officer who represents a state or central government in legal proceedings.
- Who has been appointed as chief human resources officer (CHRO) of HDFC Bank?
1) Akhil Krishnan
2) Vinay Razdan
3) Samir Shah
4) Aditya Ram
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Vinay Razdan
HDFC Bank has appointed Vinay Razdan as its chief human resources officer (CHRO). Vinay Razdan will be responsible for the complete human resource operations in HDFC Bank. Previously, he was CHRO in Idea Cellular. He had joined Idea in 2006. He has held leadership positions in organisations like ITC, HCL Technologies and Idea Cellular. He has vast experience in various sectors like FMCG, IT services and telecommunications.
- India suffered an economic loss of _____ dollars due to climate-related disasters in the last 20 years, according to a UN report titled ‘Economic Losses, Poverty and Disasters 1998-2017’?
1) USD 79.5 billion
2) USD 900 billion
3) USD 55.5 billion
4) USD 99.5 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 79.5 billion
India suffered an economic loss of USD 79.5 billion due to climate-related disasters in the last 20 years, according to a UN report titled ‘Economic Losses, Poverty and Disasters 1998-2017’ released on 10th October 2018. The report stresses the effect of extreme weather events on global economy. It was compiled by the UN (United Nations) Office for Disaster Risk Reduction. It states that 1998 to 2017 has seen a huge rise of 151 % in direct economic losses due to climate-related disasters. Affected countries faced direct losses of USD 2.908 trillion. Currently, extreme weather events contribute to 77 % of total economic losses of USD 2.245 trillion.
- Pakistan’s Abdur Rehman announced his international retirement from which game on 10th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Cricket
On 10th October 2018, former Pakistan left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman announced his retirement from international cricket. Abdur Rehman is 38 years old. He made his debut at the age of 26. He has scored 99 wickets in 22 Tests. He has also taken 30 wickets in 31 one-days and 8 wickets in 11 Twenty20 internationals.
- Who has been named as the PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association) Tour player of the year for 2018?
1) Brooks Koepka
2) Benjamin Noor
3) Railey Vincent
4) Michael Castellano
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Brooks Koepka
Brooks Koepka has been named as the PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association) Tour player of the year for 2018. He is from America. He won the US PGA Championship and became the first golfer since 1989 to clinch back-to-back US Open titles. He is 28 years old.
- When was the World Obesity Day observed all over the world?
1) October 10
2) October 11
3) October 12
4) October 9
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) October 11
On 11th October 2018, World Obesity Day was observed throughout the world. The first World Obesity Day was observed in 2015. It is organised by the World Obesity Federation. This day aims to create awareness about the increasing obesity issues and the diseases related to it. It also aims to support practical solutions for people to achieve a healthy weight and measures to sustain it. The theme of World Obesity Day focuses on weight stigma.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI)?Prashant Garg
- Name the MD and CEO of National Stock Exchange (NSE)?Mr. Vikram Limaye
- Name the MD and Headquarters of HDFC Bank?Managing Director – Aditya Puri; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Who is the Prime Minister of Tajikistan?Kohir Rasulzada
- Where is Asola Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary located?Delhi