AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 10 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did Union Minister Nitin Gadkari lay the foundation stone for the development work of Ghagra river as National Waterway (NW)-40, on 9th October 2018?
1) Cuttack, Odisha
2) Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
3) Basti, Uttar Pradesh
4) Patna, Bihar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Basti, Uttar Pradesh
On 9th October 2018, Union Minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for the development work of Ghagra river as National Waterway (NW)-40 at Basti in Uttar Pradesh, under the Sagarmala Programme of Ministry of Shipping. This project undertakes development work of 354 km stretch of Ghagra river under the Sagarmala Programme of Ministry of Shipping. In 2016, the waterway from Manjhighat at Ganga-Gaghra river confluence to Faizabad/Ayodhya along Gaghra River was declared as NW-40. It will provide major transportation boost for cargo and passenger movement and envisages terminal at 5 locations – Ayodhya, Mahirpur (Tanda/Kalwari), Dohrighat, Tortipar and Manjhighat. Phase –I of the project with project cost of Rs. 11.6 Cr has been initiated by Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), under Ministry of Shipping.
- Where was the ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030’ held from 9th to 11th October 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On October 9, 2018, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Shri J P Nadda inaugurated ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030’ in New Delhi. The objectives of the conference is:
• Working on recommendations from the 1st World Conference 2017 ,
• Work on medical products in the context of SDGs (including trade agreements) in line with GPW 13 of WHO,
• Accelerating research and innovation.
The following was released:
• Position Paper,
• Information Sharing Platform Gateway for South-East Asia Regulatory Network (SEARN) developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing.
- Where did External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj launch ‘India for Humanity’ initiative on 9th October 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On October 9, 2018, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj launched ‘India for Humanity’ initiative in New Delhi. It is a part of 150th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi being held over the next one year. For this, MEA had collaborated with charitable organization Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti, BMVSS. This initiative comprises of a year-long series of artificial limb fitment camps in a number of countries spanning the globe fully sponsored by Ministry. Initially, the camps will be held in 12 countries identified through the Missions with financial support of Indian government.
- Which Union Ministry set up a 10-member panel to check on the discounts offered by the online retailers, on 8thOctober 2018?
1) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
2) Ministry of MSME (Micro Small and Medium Enterprises)
3) Ministry of Urban Development
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
On October 8, 2018, the Corporate affairs ministry set up a 10-member panel to check on the discounts offered by the online retailers. The panel will set probe to:
• Practices in the digital economy,
• Backlog of competition cases to be resolved and
• The fee structure followed by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
These came to the forefront as traditional retailers requested the commerce minister to impose a ban on discounted sales by online sellers. This is possible due to access of e-retailers to foreign direct investment (FDI) which allows them t offer discounts.
- Name the head of the 20-member Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority or the EPCA reconstituted by the central government, on 9th October 2018?
1) Nalini Sen
2) Bhure Lal
3) Malini Shekhar
4) Vasavi Dutta
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bhure Lal
On October 9, 2018, Centre reconstituted 20-member Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority or the EPCA to tackle air pollution in the National Capital Region. The authority is headed by Former secretary Bhure Lal. Other members include:
• Ajay Mathur, who is the Director General of The Energy Research Institute (TERI),
• Arunabha Ghosh, the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for Energy Environment and Water,
• Navroz K. Dubash, the Senior Fellow for the Centre for Policy Research.
• Vishnu Mathur, Director General, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers;
• Arvind Kumar, former professor of surgery, AIIMS, in New Delhi and presently Chairman Centre for Chest Surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital;
• Krishna Dhawan, Chief Executive Officer, Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation, New Delhi.
- UNICEF signed an MOU with which foundation to strengthen child rights through meaningful business interventions, on 8th October 2018?
1) Infosys Foundation
2) Gates Foundation
3) NASSCOM Foundation
4) Reliance Foundation
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) NASSCOM Foundation
On October 8, 2018, UNICEF and NASSCOM Foundation signed an MOU to strengthen child rights through meaningful business interventions. It aims to create awareness and use technology in the right way to protect children’s rights. According to the MOU, they will focus on 2 areas:
• National sensitisation on ‘child online protection’ and
• Encouraging innovations for child rights.
Together the organizations will co-create sensitisation workshops across India through online and offline interventions such as Tweet chats, webinars, meetups and roadshows.
- UN (United Nations) Environment signed a MoU with which body to work on coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development, on 4th October 2018?
1) NITI Aayog
2) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
3) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
4) National Informatics Centre
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
On October 4, 2018, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the UN Environment signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) at CII’s headquarters in Delhi. This MOU aims to work on coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development. It aims to promote cooperation in issues of environment, climate change, renewable energy, energy efficiency, resource conservation and management, water sanitation, smart cities and urban infrastructure. As per the MOU, the Un-plastic Initiative of CII and UN Environment will rope in industry to take actions to curb plastic pollution.
- Name the head of the Strategic Policy Group (SPG) set up by Central government to assist the National Security Council on 9th October 2018?
1) NK Singh
2) Ajit Doval
3) Ravi Subramaniam
4) Shiv Kanth
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ajit Doval
On October 9, 2018, Central government set up a Strategic Policy Group (SPG) headed by National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval to assist the National Security Council. Its objective is to advise on matters of national security and strategic interests. The SPG will assist the National Security Council on undertaking national security measures and strategic review of country’s security affairs. The NSA gives strategic advice to prime minister on the topics of national security and the group’s decision will help it implement them the right way. The group will also be responsible for inter-ministerial coordination and integration of relevant inputs.
- Where was the foundation stone of India’s first 58-acre Second Generation (2G) Ethanol Bio-Refinery plant laid, on 9th October 2018?
1) Bargarh, Odisha
2) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
3) Siddhapura, Karnataka
4) Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bargarh, Odisha
On October 9, 2018, Governor of Odisha Prof Ganeshi Lal laid the foundation stone on country’s first 58-acre Second Generation (2G) Ethanol Bio-Refinery plant at Baulsingha village in Bargarh district of Odisha. This was announced in the presence of Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan. This refinery will be set up by Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). The estimated cost of the project is Rs. 1000 crore. It will be producing 3 crore litre of fuel grade ethanol annually. Commercial production will start from 2020. It is one among 12 refineries planned in 11 States in the country. It will utilise about two lakh tonne of rice straw annually from locations like Bhatli, Ambabhona, Attabira, Sohela, Burla and Lakhanpur.
- Which state announced the launch of an anti-terrorist force (ATF) called ‘Kavach’, on 9th October 2018?
2) Himachal Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Haryana
On October 9, 2018, Chief Minister of Haryana Manohar Lal Khattar announced the launch of an anti-terrorist force (ATF) called ‘Kavach’. The force will comprise of specially trained recruits from the state police, to deal with security challenges. For this, Haryana police recruits will be trained by the National Security Guard (NSG).
- Which state has announced to be the partner state in Goa International Film Festival 2018 which will be held on 20th to 28th of November, 2018?
1) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Jharkhand
On October 9, 2018, Jharkhand has announced to be the partner state in Goa International Film Festival 2018 which will be held on 20th to 28th of November, 2018. The decision was taken in meeting between Secretary of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Mr. Amit Khare and Chief Secretary of Jharkhand, Sudhir Tripathy at Ranchi. This is help Jharkhand to showcase its culture. Furthermore, it was also decided to organize Jharkhand Film Festival, under Indian Panorama, in two towns of Jharkhand in January 2019.
- Where was ‘Destination Uttarakhand Investors Summit 2018’ held on 7th and 8th October 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dehradun
‘Destination Uttarakhand Investors Summit 2018’ was held on 7th and 8th October 2018 in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. It was Uttarakhand’s first ever 2-day investor summit. The summit witnessed industrialists from ITC Limited, Reliance Industries Limited, Azure Power, Pawan Hans, Amul, Vardhman, and Hero MotoCorp. Investors from Japan, Czech Republic, Argentina, Mauritius and Nepal also participated in the two-day summit.
- Where was the exhibition “Revisiting Gandhi: The Art of Shelly Jyoti” inaugurated on 6th October, 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
Union Minister of Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani Inaugurated the exhibition “Revisiting Gandhi: The Art of Shelly Jyoti” at IGNCA, New Delhi on 6th of October, 2018. The exhibition organised as part of Gandhi Parv, 150 years birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi, realises what Gandhi inspired and put into action, self-transformation, with the ultimate goal of the total transformation of society, is an ongoing and ever-present process. The artworks have focussed on Gandhi’s idea of nation-building, to create moral and peaceful societies. These exhibits, feature ten years of the artist’s works on SWARAJ (2018), KHADI(2016), SALT(2013), INDIGO (2009).
- Where was “Clear Sky 2018” war games launched by Ukraine along with United States and other NATO countries on October 9, 2018?
2) United States
3) United Kingdom
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ukraine
On October 9, 2018, Ukraine along with United States and other NATO countries launched “Clear Sky 2018” war games, which will run until October 19, in western Ukraine. Its objective is to secure air sovereignty and promote peace and security. 700 troops are participating with NATO countries such as the United States, Britain, the Netherlands, Poland and Romania. US will be represented by F-15C Eagle fighter planes and C-130J Super Hercules.
- National Housing Bank announced increase of the Refinance limit to _____ rupees from the previous Rs. 24,000 crore, on 8th October 2018?
1) Rs 30,000 crore
2) Rs 35,000 crore
3) Rs 44,000 crore
4) Rs 55,000 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 30,000 crore
On October 8, 2018, National Housing Bank announced increase of the Refinance limit to Rs.30,000 crore from the previous Rs. 24,000 crore. With this eligible Housing Finance Companies & Other entities will have increased availability of funds. The initial sanctioned limit was set to Rs. 24,000 crore for the current year (July 2018-June 2019) to refinance and credit Housing Finance Companies & other Institutions. Till date, Rs.8835 crore has been sanctioned.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has predicted a growth rate of what percent for India in 2018 and 2019, respectively?
1) 7.5, 7.7
2) 7.1, 7.3
3) 7.3, 7.4
4) 7.7, 7.8
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 7.3, 7.4
On October 9, 2018, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) predicted a growth rate of 7.3 per cent for India in the current year of 2018 and 7.4 per cent in 2019. In 2017-18, India had recorded a 6.7 per cent growth rate. This was published in the IMF’s World Economic Outlook Report. For 2019, the GDP prediction has been decreased compared to the April 2018 World Economic Outlook (WEO) report. The reason for the decrease is due to increase in oil prices and the tightening of global financial conditions.
- Name the persons who received Nobel Prize in Economics on 8th October 2018?
1) William Nordhaus and Paul Romer
2) Julian Roberts and Sarah Tucker
3) Nadia Joules and Daniel Richards
4) Jeremy Reed and Sean Williams
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) William Nordhaus and Paul Romer
On 8th October 2018, the Nobel Prize in Economics was jointly awarded to Americans William Nordhaus and Paul Romer for integrating climate change and technological innovation into the macroeconomic analysis. William Nordhaus is a professor at Yale University. In 1990s, he became the first person to develop a quantitative model that described the interplay between economy and climate. Paul Romer is from New York University’s Stern School of Business. He has shown how economic forces govern the willingness of firms to produce new ideas and innovations. This laid the foundation for endogenous growth theory.
- Who received the Ramineni Foundation’s outstanding person award from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on 7th October 2018?
1) Pullela Gopichand
2) PV Sindhu
3) Kidambi Srikanth
4) Mary Kom
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pullela Gopichand
On 7th October 2018, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu presented the ‘Ramineni Awards 2018’ in Mangalagiri, Andhra Pradesh. The Ramineni Foundation’s outstanding person award was presented to badminton coach Pullela Gopichand. He also presented special awards to: Telugu literary legend Garikapati Narasimha Rao, film director Nag Ashwin Reddy and writer C Venkata Ramana. The outstanding person award carries a prize money of Rs 2 lakh and special awards carry Rs 1 lakh each.
- Which organization won the ‘ISSA Good Practice Award’ for Administrative Solution for Coverage Extension at the “Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific” held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia recently?
1) Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
2) Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)
3) General Insurance Corporation (GIC)
4) National Insurance Corporation Limited (NICL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has won the ‘ISSA Good Practice Award’ for Administrative Solution for Coverage Extension at the “Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific” held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia recently. ESIC was awarded for its measures on extension of coverage-SPREE (Scheme for Promoting Registration of Employers and Employees), etc. Raj Kumar, IAS, Director General, ESIC received the Certificate of Merit on behalf of ESIC. Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific is a triennial forum. It is the most important social security event in the region. ISSA (International Social Security Association) invites submissions for the ISSA Good Practices Award for Asia and the Pacific Regions.
- England’s John Terry announced his retirement from which sport on 7th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Football
On 7th October 2018, former Chelsea and England captain John Terry has announced his retirement from football. John Terry is 37 years old. He was a central defender. He has decided to take up a career in management following his retirement. For most of his career he played with the Chelsea club. He also captained Aston Villa club. He was capped 78 times by England. When he was with Chelsea he won 5 Premier League titles, 5 FA Cups, and the Champions League and Europa League. He made his debut in October 1998 when he was 17 years old. He has made more than 700 appearances for Chelsea.
- What was the theme of World Mental Health Day observed on 10th October 2018?
1) Young People and Mental Health in a Changing World
2) Overcoming Mental Health Challenges
3) Mental Health Issues and Changing World
4) Bridge the Gap for Mentally Challenged Persons
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Young People and Mental Health in a Changing World
On 10th October 2018, World Mental Health Day was observed all over the world. In 1992, World Federation for Mental Health declared October 10 as the World Mental Health Day. This day creates awareness on mental health issues and support needed for mental health. Theme: for World Mental Health Day 2018 is “Young People and Mental Health in a Changing World”.
- Name the woman portrayed in the popular painting called ‘Glow of Hope’, who passed away in Kolhapur, Maharashtra, on 2nd October 2018?
1) Malini Batra
2) Geeta Upalekar
3) Kamala Mathanraj
4) Arpita Basu
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Geeta Upalekar
On 2nd October 2018, Geeta Upalekar, portrayed in the painting called ‘Glow of Hope’, passed away at her home in Kolhapur, Maharashtra. The painting ‘Glow of Hope’ was created by Geeta Upalekar’s father SL Haldankar in 1945-46. It is displayed at Jaychama Rajendra Art Gallery, Jaganmohan Palace, Mysuru. Geeta Upalekar was 102 years old. She was popularly known as the ‘Woman with the Lamp’.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Director General of World Health Organization (WHO)?Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
- Where is the headquarters of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)?Delhi
- Name the National Security Advisor (NSA) of India?Ajit Doval
- Name the Interim MD&CEO and headquarters of National Housing Bank (NHB)?MD & CEO – Smt. Dakshita Das; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Who is the MD of International Monetary Fund (IMF) headquartered in Washington, D.C.?Christine Lagarde