AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs November 1 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where was the 19th Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) held on October 30, 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On October 30, 2018, the 19th Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) was held under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Shri ArunJaitley in New Delhi. It was held to review the current global and domestic economic situation and financial sector performance. The issues discussed in the meeting were:
• Issue of real interest rate, current liquidity situation, including segmental liquidity position in NBFCs and mutual fund space,
• Developments regarding strengthening of Cyber Security in Financial Sector,
• Progress in setting up of a Computer Emergency Response Team in the Financial Sector (CERT-Fin),
• Challenges of Crypto Assets/Currency,
• Market developments and financial stability implications of the use of RegTech and SupTech by Financial Firms and Regulatory and Supervisory Authorities,
• Implementing the Recommendations of the Sumit Bose Committee Report on measures, such as, promoting appropriate disclosure regime for financial distribution costs,
• Reviewing activities undertaken by the FSDC Sub-Committee Chaired by Governor, RBI.
- Which country will be India’s partner country in the 25th DST – CII Technology Summit to be organized in 2019?
3) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Netherlands
On October 31, 2018, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, Environment, Forest and Climate Change announced that the Kingdom of Netherlands will be the Partner Country 25th DST – CII Technology Summit to be organized in 2019. This was announced at the Silver Jubilee edition of Technology Summit – 2019. This is due to the cooperation between India and Netherlands in sectors such as affordable medical devices, urban water systems, big data and Internet of Things (IoT). The 25th Technology Summit -2019 will be made a global event and the visit of their Prime Minister to India in May 2018 has marked the 10th anniversary of Science, Technology & Innovation collaboration between the two countries.
- India and Russia inked a _____ dollar deal for inducting two new warships equipped with Brahmos missiles in the India Navy, on 31st October 2018?
1) $950 million
2) $1500 million
3) $569 million
4) $488 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $950 million
On October 31, 2018, India and Russia inked a $950 million deal for inducting two new warships equipped with Brahmos missiles in the India Navy. The two frigates of the Project 11356 class will be bought directly from Russia and 2 more will be built in an Indian Shipyard. The two ships to be brought from Russia are expected to be delivered by 2022 and have been designed to work with Ukraine-made gas turbines. These are under a ‘2+2’ scheme which was under the works since 2015. The gas turbines will be built at a local yard and the state-owned Goa Shipyard has been nominated for building the 2 more frigates.
- Uttar Pradesh government will partner with which country to develop ‘Food Value Chain’ in the state?
1) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Japan
On October 30, 2018, the Uttar Pradesh cabinet presided over by UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath cleared a proposal for the development of ‘Food Value Chain’ in the state. The ‘Food Value Chain’ will be developed by: UP government and Japan’s agriculture, forestry and fisheries department. Under the agreement, in the first five years, Japanese companies will invest in agri-related and food-related industries.
- Which state launched ‘Soura Jalanidhi’ scheme to increase use of solar energy for helping farmers in irrigation, on 30th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Odisha
On October 30, 2018, Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Soura Jalanidhi’ scheme to increase use of solar energy for helping farmers in irrigation. ‘Soura Jalanidhi’ is a dug well based solar pump irrigation system in convergence mode. The total cost of the scheme allocated by the state government is: Rs. 27.18 crore in the 2018-19 financial year. Under this scheme, 5,000 solar pumps will be provided to farmers at a subsidy of 90 per cent to irrigate 2,500 acres of land. The Chief Minister distributed four go-ahead orders for installation of solar pump to the farmers.
- The Social Welfare Department of which state launched the Samruddhi scheme to boost employment opportunities for SC/ST youth through entrepreneurship, on 31st October 2018?
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Karnataka
On October 31, 2018, Karnataka Social Welfare Department launched the Samruddhi scheme to boost employment opportunities for SC/ST youth through entrepreneurship. It aims to impart skill development and benefit aspiring, young citizens from rural and tier II cities. The scheme, targeted at socially marginalized communities to provide them with skill development and alternate means of employment has a total cost of Rs.800 crore. For this, the government is partnering with private enterprises to train the youth from backward communities. The training will include: retail management, taxation policies and GST, inventory management, soft skills and logistics. To create industry owned private enterprise, the State government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with 30 retail companies.
- Name the sail training ship of Indian Navy that returned from a seven-month sail across the world named ‘Lokayan 18’?
1) INS Tarini
2) INS Tarangini
3) INS Bharath
4) INS Savitri
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) INS Tarangini
On October 31, 2018, the sail training ship of Indian Navy, INS Tarangini based at Kochi, returned after a seven-month sail across the world. The ship sailed over 22000 nautical miles across 15 ports in 13 countries in 205 days. The voyage named ‘Lokayan 18’ was flag-ged off on April 10 from Kochi to sail acr-oss the Arabian Sea, Red Sea, Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Strait of Gibraltar, North Atlantic Ocean, Bay of Biscay, English Channel and North Sea, right up to Norway. It also participated in the culminating event of the ‘Three Festival Tall Ships Regatta’ at Bordeaux, France, as well as the ‘Tall Ships Races Europe 2018’. The ship was received by Rear Admiral RJ Nadkarni, VSM, Chief of Staff, Southern Naval Command.
- Which state is developing India’s first ‘Justice City’?
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh is building a world-class and India’s first ‘Justice City’ within its new capital Amaravati with the vision to provide a state-of-the-art ecosystem built on latest technology for supporting the judicial system in the state.
- Where was 13th India-Japan Bilateral Summit held on 29th October 2018?
1) Tokyo, Japan
2) New Delhi, India
3) Mumbai, India
4) Osaka, Japan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Tokyo, Japan
13th India-Japan Bilateral Summit held on 29th October 2018 in Tokyo, Japan. PM Modi, along with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe, attended the Summit. After the summit the two sides exchanged 32 MoUs. India and Japan sign $75 billion currency swap agreement. The agreement will help bring greater stability to foreign exchange and capital markets. Enhancing communication and connectivity, trade and flow of people, technology and ideas, Cooperation for peace, stability and prosperity of Indo-Pacific. Establishing the “Platform for Japan-India Business Cooperation in Asia-Africa Region”for exchanges between Japanese and Indian businesses.
- India and Japan signed a _____ dollar currency swap agreement, to help bring greater stability to foreign exchange and capital markets, during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s official visit to Japan, on 29th October 2018?
1) $75 billion
2) $100 billion
3) $150 billion
4) $500 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $75 billion
On October 28, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi started his 2-day official visit to Japan. On October 29, 2018, PM Modi, along with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe, attended 13th Annual Bilateral Summit at the Japanese Prime Minister’s Office in Tokyo. After the summit the two sides exchanged 32 MoUs.
– India and Japan sign $75 billion currency swap agreement. The agreement will help bring greater stability to foreign exchange and capital markets.
– Enhancing communication and connectivity, trade and flow of people, technology and ideas,
Cooperation for peace, stability and prosperity of Indo-Pacific.
– Establishing the “Platform for Japan-India Business Cooperation in Asia-Africa Region”for exchanges between Japanese and Indian businesses.
– Development of India’s North Eastern Region through the India-Japan Act East Forum through connectivity, sustainable forest and ecological management, disaster risk reduction and people-to-people exchanges.
- What is the rank of Indian passport in the latest ranking of the Global Passport Index?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 66
On October 31, 2018, in the latest ranking of the Global Passport Index, The Indian passport was ranked 66th in the world. The position of 66 has been improved nine notches since the previous year and means that the Indian passport holders has been granted visa-free access to 66 countries. Other than India, Kyrgyzstan and Zimbabwe share the 66th rank. Singapore and Germany have the world’s “most powerful” passport with access to 165 countries. In the last place of the list is Afghanistan, ranked 91 with a score of 22, followed by Iraq at 90, Pakistan at 89 and Syria at 88 and Somalia at 87.
- Where was the fifth World Buddhist Forum held from 28th to 30th October 2018?
1) Kathmandu, Nepal
2) Colombo, Sri Lanka
3) Tokyo, Japan
4) Putian, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) China
China has held the fifth World Buddhist Forum held from 28th to 30th October 2018. It was held in the Chinese city of Putian. More than 1,000 participants from 55 countries and regions participated.
- Who will be conferred the 2018 Gleitsman Award on 6th December 2018 by Harvard University?
1) Sherly Pearls
2) Malala Yousafzai
3) Elon Musk
4) PV Sindhu
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Malala Yousafzai
Nobel Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai will be conferred the 2018 Gleitsman Award on 6th December 2018. This announcement was made by Harvard’s Kennedy School. Malala Yousafzai will be honoured by Harvard University for her work in promoting girls’ education. Malala Yousafzai became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014. She was awarded for her global work in supporting schooling for all children. When she was residing in Pakistan she survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban. She founded the nonprofit Malala Fund. She is 20 years old. She is a student at Oxford University in England.
- Name the Founder, CEO, and Managing Director of InternationalCryptoX Pte. Ltd, INCX, who received Excellence in FINEXT Award 2018 at the Finextcon conference held at Las Vegas, USA on 25th & 26th October 2018?
1) Mukesh Seth
2) Sanjoy Gaddipati
3) Ranjan Gogoi
4) Arpit Roy
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sanjoy Gaddipati
Sanjoy Gaddipati, Founder, CEO, and Managing Director of InternationalCryptoX Pte. Ltd, INCX, received Excellence in FINEXT Award 2018 at the Finextcon conference held at Las Vegas, USA on 25th & 26th October 2018. The Finextcon 2018 awards recognize the innovative, creative and successful projects in financial technology from various parts of the world. It honours companies in the financial markets. FINEXT Tech conference awards committee finalizes the awardees after rating them on the following parameters:
• Impact on the finance industry
• Integration of technology and finance
• Spirit of innovation
- Who has been appointed as Associate Director, India, of PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC)?
1) Ashok Lahiri
2) Nitin Bhatnagar
3) Sunil Shetty
4) Maynard Johnson
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nitin Bhatnagar
PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) has appointed Nitin Bhatnagar as Associate Director, India, to lead its India outreach efforts to promote PCI Security Standards. Nitin Bhatnagar will be responsible for creating awareness and adoption of the PCI Security Standards for payment card security in India. He will work with merchants, acquirers, financial institutions, security practitioners, law enforcement and other stakeholders in the Indian payment Eco-system to promote PCI standards. Earlier, Nitin Bhatnagar was AVP of India payment security firm SISA Information Security. PCI SSC is a set of security standards for companies that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information to maintain a secure environment.
- Who was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court, on 30th October 2018?
1) Justice Satish Kumar Agnihotri
2) Justice Vijai Kumar Bist
3) Justice Kamal Nath Joshi
4) Justice Vidya Prasad
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Justice Vijai Kumar Bist
On 30th October 2018, Justice Vijai Kumar Bist was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court. Sikkim Governor Ganga Prasad administered Justice Vijai Kumar Bist the oath of office at Ashirwad Hall, Raj Bhavan. Justice Vijai Kumar Bist replaces Justice Satish Kumar Agnihotri, who superannuated on June 31, 2018. Justice Vijai Kumar Bist was a senior judge of the Uttarakhand High Court. He was made chief justice of Sikkim High Court on the recommendation of the Supreme Court Collegium. He was born on 17 September 1957 at Powdi Garwal district in Uttarakhand. He practiced at Allahabad High Court till 2000. Then he practiced at Nainital. He was appointed as one of the judges in Uttarakhand High Court in November 2008.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved re-appointment of _____ as managing director and CEO of the HDFC bank for another 2 years, on 29th October 2018?
1) Aditya Puri
2) Sandeep Bakshi
3) Chandrasekhar Nair
4) MJ Mustafa
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aditya Puri
On 29th October 2018, HDFC Bank announced that, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved re-appointment of Aditya Puri as managing director and CEO of the bank for another 2 years. RBI has approved the re-appointment of Aditya Puri, as MD & CEO of HDFC Bank from November 1, 2018 to October 26, 2020 i.e. until he attains 70 years of age. Shareholders had approved his appointment in 2015 for a period of 5 years subject to RBI approval. Aditya Puri joined HDFC Bank in 1994. He is the longest-serving head of any private bank in India.
- Who resigned as the chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), on 31st October 2018?
1) Vivek Kumar Singh
2) Anupam Kher
3) Rishi Kapoor
4) Gajendra Chauhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Anupam Kher
On 31st October 2018, actor Anupam Kher resigned as the chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII). He has resigned due to his commitments to an international TV show for which he will be staying in the U.S. His resignation letter has been accepted by Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. Anupam Kher Kher had replaced Gajendra Chauhan, as Chairman of FTII on October 11, 2017.
- Which company has acquired IDFC Infrastructure Finance (IDFC-IFL)?
1) National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF)
2) Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
3) General Insurance Company
4) ICICI Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF)
The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) has acquired IDFC Infrastructure Finance (IDFC-IFL). The acquisition is awaiting approval from authorities including from the Reserve Bank of India. For the acquisition, IDFC Ltd, IDFC Financial Holding Company Ltd (IDFC FHCL) and IDFC Infrastructure Finance Ltd (IDFC IFL) and NIIF II have entered into a MOU. The acquisition will allow NIIF to play a meaningful role in the private debt space in Indian Infrastructure.
- NASA’s “supersonic parachute” that will have a major role in landing its Mars 2020 rover has created a world record by deploying in just four-tenths of a second and surviving _____ load?
1) 37,000 kg
2) 56,000 kg
3) 88,000 kg
4) 45,000 kg
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 37,000 kg
NASA’s “supersonic parachute” that will have a major role in landing its Mars 2020 rover has created a world record by deploying in just four-tenths of a second and surviving 37,000 kg load. Following the launch of a 17.7-metre Black Brant IX sounding rocket, in less than 2 minutes a payload separated and started diving back through Earth’s atmosphere. When the payload had reached the appropriate height (38 km) and Mach number 1.8, the payload deployed a parachute. Within four-tenths of a second, the 180-pound parachute fully inflated. It was the fastest inflation in history of a parachute of this size. It created a peak load of nearly 70,000 pounds of force. The 37,000-kilogramme load was the highest ever load survived by a supersonic parachute.
- Which entity launched a ‘Digital Literacy Library’ providing safety tips for users in 6 Indian languages, on 29thOctober 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Facebook
On 29th October 2018, Facebook launched a ‘Digital Literacy Library’ providing safety tips for users in 6 Indian languages. This launch is a part of Facebook’s efforts to train 3,00,000 people in India on digital literacy by the end of 2018. Digital Literacy Library will help educators in addressing digital literacy and young people in skill development regarding digital safety. The library will be available in 6 Indian languages: Bengali, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam. Facebook is also organising a 2-day child safety hackathon at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi.
- Which organization released the biennial Living Planet Report 2018, on 31st October 2018?
1) World Wide Fund (WWF)
2) Zoological Society of India (ZSI)
3) International Society for Wild Animals (ISWA)
4) World Health Organisation (WHO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) World Wide Fund (WWF)
On October 31, 2018, the biennial Living Planet Report 2018 was released by World Wide Fund (WWF). 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles from 1970 to 2014, have been wiped out by humanity. 83% of mammals and half of plants have been destroyed by Human consumption and the worst hit is Freshwater habitats. South and central America is the worst affected region globally with a 89% drop, among the most affected are Giant otters and spider monkeys. The biggest cause of wildlife losses is the destruction of natural habitats, much of it to create farmland followed by Killing for food.
- Which company was named as official partner for the Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 to be held from November 28 to December 16, at the Kalinga Stadium, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha?
2) Tata Steel
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tata Steel
On 29th October 2018, Tata Steel was named as official partner for the Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 to be held from November 28 to December 16, at the Kalinga Stadium, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Tata Steel signed the agreement with the Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 to promote development through sports in India. The upcoming 14th edition of the FIH (International Hockey Federation) World Cup will be the 3rd time it is held in India and the first time it is held in the eastern part of India. Earlier, India had hosted the tournament in 1982 in Mumbai and in 2010 in New Delhi. 16 countries will take participate in the tournament. Tata Steel is the first private sector company in India to start a hockey academy.
- Who won the 2nd leg of the Asian Snooker Tour title in Jinan, China, on 31st October 2018?
1) Pankaj Advani
2) Adhiban S
3) Ranjith Kumar
4) Debashish Banerjee
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pankaj Advani
On 31st October 2018, Pankaj Advani won the 2nd leg of the Asian Snooker Tour title in Jinan, China. Pankaj Advani beat China’s Ju Reti 6-1 in the final. Pankaj Advani has become the first Indian to win an Asian Snooker Tour event. Pankaj Advani is a nineteen-time world champion. He is 33 years old. He hails from Pune, Maharashtra.
- When was Rashtriya Ekta Diwas, the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel also known as the ‘Iron Man of India’, was celebrated across India?
1) October 29
2) October 30
3) October 31
4) November 1
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) October 31
On October 31, 2018, Rashtriya Ekta Diwas, the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel also known as the ‘Iron Man of India’, was celebrated across the Nation. President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal, Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Puri paid floral tributes at the statue of Sardar Patel at Patel Chowk in Parliament Street. The Home Minister also flagged off the Run for Unity from Major Dhyanchand Stadium. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting telecasted the film ‘Sardar’ on Doordarshan, play radio and TV jingles and ran features on the life and achievements of Sardar Patel. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) organized pledge taking in Indian Missions as well as Essay and Quiz Competitions, debates, short films, photo exhibition etc.
- Where was the 182-metre high Statue of Unity unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on October 31, 2018, on the eve of 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel?
2) Uttar Pradesh
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gujarat
On October 31, 2018, on the eve of 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India’s first Home Minister, a 182-metre high Statue of Unity was unveiled by PM Narendra Modi. The Statue is twice the Statue of Liberty and is the tallest in the world. It was built at a cost of Rs. 2989 crore and is located in Gujarat, 3.2 kms downstream of Narmada Dam. The statue was designed by Padma-Bhushan winning sculptor Ram V Sutar and was built by Larsen and Toubro and the state-run Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd. It also has a 153-metre-high observation deck. It took about 250 engineers and 3,400 labourers to construct the statue in 33 months. It stands 177 feet higher than the current world’s tallest, China’s Spring Temple Buddha in the central Henan province.
- ‘Clean Air Week’ will be organized from November 1-5, 2018 to control air pollution in _____ ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Delhi
‘Clean Air Week’ will be organized from November 1-5, 2018 to control air pollution in Delhi. ‘Clean Air Week’ will be organised by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in collaboration with the Delhi government and the 4 major NCR cities. 52 teams have been formed to make sure compliance and safety and take quick action. The teams will be jointly flagged off by Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Harsh Vardhan and the Minister from Government of Delhi. This decision was taken in a meeting held under the Chairmanship of C.K. Mishra, Secretary, MoEFCC.
- Which insurance company launched the ‘Cyber Security Awareness Week’ from October 21 to October 27, 2018?
1) General Insurance Company (GIC)
2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
3) National Insurance Company
4) Bajaj Alliance Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company, launched the ‘Cyber Security Awareness Week’ from October 21 to October 27, 2018. ‘Cyber Security Awareness Week’ aimed to create awareness about cybercrime and promote the need of cyber security among individuals under its theme ‘#HackSeLado’. Discussions were held on the increasing number of cybercrimes in India and the on-going challenges faced by people.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Chairman of HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company?Mr. Deepak S. Parekh
- Who is the CEO of Hockey India?Elena Norman
- Name the MD and CEO of National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF)?Sujoy Bose
- What is the tag line of HDFC Bank?We understand your world
- Where is Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary located?Sikkim