AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs November 18 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the head of the tribunal set up by the Home Ministry to decide on banning 2 militant groups from Tripura, on 16th November 2018?
1) Vikas Seth
2) Suresh Kait
3) Ram Prasad Chauhan
4) Anil Kumar Jha
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Suresh Kait
On November 16, 2018, the Home Ministry set up a tribunal to decide on banning 2 militant groups from Tripura. The tribunal is headed by Delhi High Court Judge Justice Suresh Kait. This was set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. The 2 concerned militant groups are: the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) and All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF).
- Where was the 9th Session of the India-Kyrgyz Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation (IK-IGC) held on 15th and 16th November 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On November 16, 2018, the 2-day 9th Session of the India-Kyrgyz Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation (IK-IGC) concluded in New Delhi. It started on November 15, 2018. The IK-IGC was co-chaired by: Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, and Mr. Kosmosbek Cholponbaev, Minister of Health, Government of the Kyrgyz Republic. The following topics were priority areas of discussion between the 2 parties: Healthcare and pharmaceutical, environmental and technical safety, agriculture, information, tourism and culture, textiles and clothing, banking, labor and social development, mines and standards, metrology and certification sector.
- Where was Global Digital Content Market 2018 (GDCM 2018) hosted by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) held on 14th and 15th November 2018?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
On 14th and 15th November 2018,The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce and Industry hosts, 2 days conference of Global Digital Content Market 2018 (GDCM 2018) in New Delhi. It was the 2nd edition of the conference, 1st edition was held in Geneva in 2016. India has been chosen as the host nation for GDCM 2018 by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). GDCM 2018 will feature various sessions on Films, Music, Broadcasting and Publication as well as collective management, emerging models and implication for market and the police makers. Asia Pacific region is the focus of this year’s conference.
- Women and Child Development Ministry announced that the Government will reimburse employers the salaries for 7 of the 26 weeks of maternity leave for women, who are earning more than _____ a month?
1) Rs 15,000
2) Rs 18,000
3) Rs 50,000
4) Rs 25,000
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 15,000
On 15th November 2018,The Women and Child Development Ministry announced that the Government will reimburse employers the salaries for 7 of the 26 weeks of maternity leave for women,who is earning more than Rs 15,000 a month. This decision was taken to encourage the employers to hire women and keep them employed during maternity period. To become eligible for maternity benefits, a woman must has worked for 80 days in last 12 months. The salary of female employees will be refunded from labor Welfare Cess. As per government, till March 2017, 7500 crores out of 32632 crores of labor welfare cess fund was not utilized. So this fund will be used for reimbursement of salary of female employees. Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill 2016 increases the maternity leaves from 12 weeks to 26 weeks.
- Where was the Regional meeting of the World Customs Organisation, held from 13th to 16th November 2018?
1) Pune, Maharashtra
2) Cuttack, Odisha
3) Jaipur, Rajasthan
4) Guwahati, Assam
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jaipur, Rajasthan
On November 13, 2018, a 4-day Regional meeting of the World Customs Organisation was held in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It was attended by representatives of 33 member countries of Asia. The meeting is being jointly chaired by:
• WCO Deputy Secretary General Ricardo Travino Chapaand
• Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs Chairman S Ramesh.
- Where was India’s first specialized hospital for elephants unveiled on 17th November 2018?
1) Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
2) Wyanad, Kerala
3) Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
4) Coorg, Karnataka
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
On November 17, 2018, India’s first specialized hospital for elephants was unveiled at Churmura village in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. It is located close to the elephant conservation and care centre of Wildlife SOS. The medical centre offers the following: wireless digital X-ray, laser treatment, dental X-ray, thermal imaging, ultrasonography, hydrotherapy and quarantine facilities, medical hoist for lifting elephants. It also has an observation deck which will allow veterinary students to observe elephant’s behavior.
- Women and Child Development (WCD) Ministry has approved setting up of 1023 Fast Track Special Courts to dispose off pending cases of rape and POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences) Act throughout India. The financial implication of this project is _____?
1) Rs 890.80 crore
2) Rs 900.67 crore
3) Rs 767.25 crore
4) Rs 560.98 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rs 767.25 crore
Women and Child Development (WCD) Ministry has approved setting up over 1023 Fast Track Special Courts to dispose off pending cases of rape and POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences) Act throughout India. Law and Justice Ministry had sent a proposal regarding this to WCD Ministry. The Empowered Committee of officers for the Nirbhaya Fund headed by Women and Child Development secretary Rakesh Srivastava approved the proposal. Total financial implication of the project is over Rs 767.25 crore. In the first phase, 777 fast track special courts will be established in 9 states. In the second phase, 246 fast track special courts will be established.
- India signed extradition, mutual legal assistance and defence cooperation treaties to jointly fight threats from ISIS under their counter-terror partnership, with which country, on 16th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Morocco
On November 16, 2018, India and Morocco signed extradition, mutual legal assistance and defence cooperation treaties to jointly fight threats from ISIS under their counter-terror partnership. The agreements were inked during Moroccan Justice Minister Mohamed Auajjar’s visit to Delhi on November 2018. The counter-terror cooperation agreement will help in bilateral legal arrangements between the 2 countries through Morocco’s well-established school of counter-terrorism. The Indo-Moroccan Extradition Agreement will provide a strong legal base for the extradition of persons accused of economic offences, terrorism and other serious crimes in one contracting state and found in another contracting state. The Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Civil and Commercial Matters will enhance cooperation in the service of summons, judicial documents, letters of request, and the execution of judgments, decrees and arbitral awards.
- Where did India and China held the 9th Annual Defence and Security Dialogue on 13th November 2018?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Beijing, China
3) Mumbai, India
4) Shanghai, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Beijing, China
On November 13, 2018, India and China held the 9th Annual Defence and Security Dialogue in Beijing, China. It was held between the two defence delegations headed by: Defence secretary Sanjay Mitra and Li Zuocheng, China’s deputy chief of Joint Staff Department of the Central Military Commission. This was after a one-year gap due to the Doklam standoff. The defence dialogue was held ahead of the 21st round of border talks between the special representatives of the two countries in the Chinese city of Dujiangyan on November 23-24.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a ____ dollar Loan Agreement to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL) in New Delhi, on 17th November 2018?
1) $300 million
2) $250 million
3) $500 million
4) $400 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $300 million
On November 17, 2018, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $300 million Loan Agreement to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL) in New Delhi. The Project entails:
• Long-term finance for PPP projects,
• Improvement of operational capacity of IIFCL, and
• Expansion of the portfolio of infrastructure financing instruments available to IIFCL.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a _____ dollar loan to continue financing the transmission system upgrades in Himachal Pradesh, on 16th November 2018?
1) $105 million
2) $95 million
3) $88 million
4) $130 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $105 million
On November 16, 2018, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $105 million loan to continue financing the transmission system upgrades in Himachal Pradesh. This was the tranche 3 loan of the $350 million multi-tranche financing facility (MFF) for Himachal Pradesh Clean Energy Transmission Investment Program approved by the ADB Board in September 2011. This loan would help in increased supply of hydropower to the state and the national grid and supports the institutional capacity development of the state transmission utility. The executing agency for this project is: Himachal Pradesh Power Transmission Corporation Limited (HPPTCL).
- Credit Rating Agency Fitch affirmed India’s “Long term Foreign-currency Issuer Default Rating (IDR)” at ____ with a stable outlook, on 15th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) BBB-
Credit Rating Agency Fitch affirmed India’s “Long term Foreign-currency Issuer Default Rating (IDR)” at ‘BBB-‘with a stable outlook.Fitch kept India’s Credit rating unchanged for the 12th year in a row. Fitch Ratings is one of the big three credit agencies of the world. Other two are Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. Fitch had last upgraded India’s Sovereign rating from ‘BB+’ to ‘BBB-‘with stable outlook in 2006. Fitch expects India’s economy to grow with a growth rate of 7.8 in fiscal year ending on 31 March 2019 and 7.3 in FY20 and FY21. Fitch expected current-account deficit to widen to 3 per cent in FY2018-19 and 3.1 per cent in FY2019-20 from 1.9 per cent in FY2017-18.
- Name the educationist who was conferred the Global Education Leaders Award 2018 for contribution to ‘K-12 education and promotion of Art and Culture’ at the 2nd India-UAE Partnership Summit (IUPS), held at, Dubai, on 30th and 31st October 2018?
1) Dr. Saroj Suman Gulati
2) Dr. VK Saraswat
3) Dr. Poornima Balakrishnan
4) Dr. Savitha Ram
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. Saroj Suman Gulati
Educationist Dr. Saroj Suman Gulati has been conferred the Global Education Leaders Award 2018 at the 2nd edition of India-UAE Partnership Summit (IUPS), held at The Atlantis, Dubai, on 30th and 31st October 2018. Dr. Saroj Suman Gulati is the Director of Blue Bells Group of Schools. She was awarded in recognition of her remarkable contribution to ‘K-12 education and promotion of Art and Culture’. The award was conferred by His Highness Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, member of the Cabinet and Minister of State for Tolerance, United Arab Emirates. Mr. Ashish Gulati, Vice-chairman, Blue Bells Group of Schools, received the award on her behalf.
- Who was appointed as the new Brexit Secretary by British Prime Minister Theresa May, on 16th November 2018?
1) Dominic Rabab
2) Stephen Barclay
3) Shelley Jonas
4) Martha Kaling
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Stephen Barclay
On 16th November 2018,Stephen Barclay, Junior Health Minister who voted to leave European Union in the 2016 referendum has been appointed as the new Brexit Secretary by British Prime Minister Theresa May. Stephen Barclay replaced Dominic Raab who resigned over Theresa May’s draft plan for leaving EU. Barclay will focus on domestic readiness for Brexit.Earliers he served as a financial services minister.
- Who will take charge as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Google Cloud in early 2019?
1) Diane Greene
2) Thomas Kurian
3) Vinay Mishra
4) Preston Scavo
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Thomas Kurian
Indian-American Thomas Kurian, former Oracle President of product development and technologist, will become the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Google Cloud in early 2019. Thomas Kurian will replace Diane Greene. Thomas Kurian will join Google Cloud on 26th November 2018. Diane Greene will continue as CEO till January 2019 and help Thomas Kurian transition into the leadership role. Thomas Kurian resigned from Oracle in September 2018. He had worked in Oracle for 22 years. He had been a member of Oracle’s Executive Committee for 13 years. He hails from Bengaluru.
- Who was appointed as OYO Hotels’ Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for India and South Asia operations with effect from December 1, 2018?
1) Aditya Ghosh
2) Ramesh Pawan
3) Ritesh Agarwal
4) Sanjay Misra
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aditya Ghosh
On 15th November 2018, budget hospitality chain OYO Hotels appointed Aditya Ghosh as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for its India and South Asia operations with effect from December 1, 2018. Aditya Ghosh was President of IndiGo Airlines for 10 years. He was also wholetime director of IndiGo Airlines. He resigned from IndiGo in July 2018. He was an advisor to Tata Trusts. He is a lawyer by profession. At present, South Asia region for OYO Hotels only includes India and Nepal.
- Name the former SBI chairman who resigned from the External Expert on the Search and Selection Committee (S&SC) panel, on 17th November 2018?
1) R Shivram
2) O P Bhatt
3) Nancy Regan
4) Kuldeep Yadav
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) O P Bhatt
On November 17, 2018, former SBI chairman O P Bhatt resigned from the External Expert on the Search and Selection Committee (S&SC) panel due to potential conflict of interest. He presented his resignation to the Nomination & Remuneration Committee (‘NRC’) of Yes Bank which accepted his resignation with immediate effect. He is under CBI’s scanner in connection with loans given to the now defunct Kingfisher Airlines, promoted by fugitive liquor baron Vijay Mallya.
- Which country has built an ‘artificial sun’ that reaches 100 million °C, 6 times the temperature of Sun’s core of 15 million °C?
1) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) China
China has built an ‘artificial sun’ that reaches 100 million °C, 6 times the temperature of Sun’s core of 15 million °C. On 13th November 2018, scientists from China’s Institute of Plasma Physics announced that plasma in their Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) also called the “artificial sun”, reached 100 million °C, the temperature required to perform nuclear fusion on Earth. The EAST reactor has been designed to replicate processes happening at the Sun to turn hydrogen into cost-effective green energy. EAST is 11 metres tall. It has a diameter of 8 metres. It weighs nearly 360 tonnes. The record temperature was achieved through various new techniques in heating and controlling the plasma. But they were able to maintain the state for only about 10 seconds.
- Alyque Padamsee passed away in Mumbai, on 17th November 2018. He was a _____?
2) Social Activist
3) Ad film maker
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ad film maker
On 17th November 2018, ad film maker Alyque Padamsee, known as the Brand Father of Indian advertising, passed away in Mumbai. Alyque Padamsee was 90 years old. In 2000, he was awarded the Padmashri. He was also named Advertising Man of the Century by The Advertising Club in Mumbai. He was the former Chief Executive of advertising firm Lintas in India and former regional coordinator for Lintas in South Asia. He had developed several iconic and memorable Indian ad campaigns. He was also known for his role as Muhammad Ali Jinnah in Oscar-winning film “Gandhi” (1982).
- Which word has been named Word of the year 2018 by Oxford Dictionary?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Toxic
On November 15, 2018, Oxford Dictionary announced ‘Toxic’ as the Word of the year 2018. The sheer scope of its application that has made it the standout choice as there has been a 45% increase in the number of times people have looked up the word on its website. The word of the year is chosen from a shortlist “drawn from evidence gathered by (its) extensive language research programmer from 150 millio nwords of current English from web-based publications each month. In 2017, the word was “youthquake” and in 2016 it was “post-truth”.
- When was International Students’ Day observed all over the world?
1) November 14
2) November 15
3) November 16
4) November 17
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) November 17
November 17th is annually seen as the International Students’ Day all over the world. It is seen an international observance of student activism as the date commemorates the anniversary of the 1939 Nazi storming of the University of Prague. The day was first marked in 1941 in London by the International Students’ Council.
- When was National Epilepsy Day observed in India to create awareness about epilepsy?
1) November 17
2) November 15
3) November 14
4) November 13
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) November 17
November 17th is seen annually as National Epilepsy Day to create awareness about epilepsy in India. According to World Health Organization (WHO), about 50 million people have epilepsy across the world, out of which 80 percent people are living in developing countries. Globally, the World Epilepsy Day or better known as Purple Day is observed on March 26th annually.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Clouded Leopard National Park located?Tripura
- What is the capital and currency of Kyrgyzstan?Capital – Bishkek; Currency – Kyrgyzstani som
- Name the Director General and headquarters of World Intellectual Property Organization?Director General – Mr. Francis Gurry; Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
- Name the President and headquarters of Asian Development Bank (ADB)?President – Takehiko Nakao; Headquarters – Manila, Philippines
- Who is the Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs?S Ramesh