AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Who has headed the ‘chintan baithak’ session for stakeholders in renewable energy industry held in New Delhi recently?
1) S. K. Shukla
2) R. K. Singh
3) Anand Kumar
4) Narendra Modi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Anand Kumar
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) held a session for stakeholders in the renewable energy industry termed as ‘chintan baithak’ in New Delhi, where CEOs (Chief Executive Officers) made presentations on subject matters, namely, regulatory hurdles, energy storage, transmission constraints and low cost, long term funding.The meeting was headed by Secretary, MNRE, Shri Anand Kumar.Renewable Energy (RE) sector inclusive of the dignitaries of the major RE developers, equipment manufacturers, financiers, regulators, think-tanks, industry bodies, and skill developers attended the meeting.
- Where was the 11th Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting held?
1) Lappi Areena, Rovaniemi, Finland
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
3) Bergen, Oslo, Norway
4) Nacka, Stockholm, Swedan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Lappi Areena, Rovaniemi, Finland
On May 7, 2019, Finland held the 11th Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting in Lappi Areena, Rovaniemi, Finland. The dignitaries from the 8 Arctic States had approved the work completed under the 2-year Finnish Chairmanship to enhance sustainable development and environmental conservation in the Arctic region. The Arctic States were joined by delegates from the Arctic Council’s Permanent Participant organizations, the heads of the 6 Working Groups, and Observers.Arctic States concluded the Arctic Council Ministerial meeting by signing a joint agreement as the Arctic Council Ministers meet, passed the Chairmanship from Finland to Iceland.
- Which country was re-elected as an observer to Arctic Council?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India
India was re-elected as an Observer to Arctic Council and India committed to contributing more to Arctic Council. India had received the Observer status in 2013 during the Kiruna Ministerial meeting in Sweden. Since the year 2008, India has its Arctic research station, termed as ‘Himadri’ in Svalbard, Norway.
- Which insurance company has commemorated 6th day of each month as ‘Protection Day’ to raise awareness on financial protection?
1) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
2) Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance
3) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance
4) Max Life Insurance Co Ltd
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Max Life Insurance Co Ltd
Max Life Insurance Co Ltd has notified that it will commemorate the 6th day of each month as ‘Protection Day’. The objective of this initiative was to raise awareness on financial protection. Aalok Bhan, Director and Chief Marketing Officer, Max Life notified that this date of the calendar month was selected, because, generally, number 6 indicates love, harmony and is also a symbol of secured financial future.The decision came in line with the Company’s launch of Max Life India Protection Quotient survey conducted in collaboration with Kantar IMRB. It denoted that the extent to which the Indians feel protected from financial uncertainties is extremely low, and that level was as 35.
- Which ministry has organized a 2-day long interaction with embassies of 11 African nations to deepen the India-Africa trade relations?
1) Ministry of Commerce
2) Ministry of Home Affairs
3) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4) Ministry of Finance
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Commerce
The Commerce Ministry, Indian High Commissions and embassies of 11 African nations organized a 2-day, (that is on May 3rd and May 6th) long interaction to deepen the India-Africa trade relations. This was arranged over Digital Video Conference (DVC) and was attended by more than 400 members of the Indian business community in Africa.The interactions with the Indian Diaspora were held in 11 African nations, namely, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, and Mauritius, Nigeria, Mozambique, Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, and Madagascar, to construct an efficient engagement with the Indian Diaspora in Africa.This initiative gives more focus on the requirement for a multi-faceted strategy to enhance trade and investment between India and Africa.
- Name the global analytical company, which has released a report stating that Discoms will return to pre-UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurances Yojana) levels of Rs 2.6 lakh crore by 2020.
1) India Ratings & Research
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) CRISIL
According to CRISIL (formerly Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited) report, the external debt of state-owned electricity distribution companies (discoms) will return to pre-UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurances Yojana) levels of Rs 2.6 lakh crore by the financial year 2020 (FY20). The CRISIL’s report is based on the analysis of 15 states which account for 85% of aggregate losses. After the implementation of the UDAY scheme by various states, aggregate discom debt had fallen from Rs 2.7 lakh crore in Sep. 2015 to Rs 1.9 lakh crore in FY16 and Rs 1.5 lakh crore in FY17. But now this downward trajectory is started to reverse and in FY19 aggregate losses will be Rs 2.28 lakh crore and in FY20 the aggregate losses will be Rs 2.64 lakh crore.
- Name the association, which has signed MoU with Tractors and Farm Equipment (TAFE) Ltd. to help in the preservation of resources.
1) Assoication of New and Renewable Energy
2) Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA)
3) Oil Industry Safety Assoication
4) Assoication of Hydrocarbons
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA)
Tractors and Farm Equipment (TAFE) Ltd. notified its signing of (MoU) memorandum of understanding with the Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, GOI to help in the preservation of resources. The MoU was signed by Petroleum association’s executive director Alok Tripathi and TAFE’s president and COO-product strategy and corporate relations (Chief Operating Officer)T R Kesavan. Under the MoU, the Petroleum Conservation Research Association would collaboratively conduct the agricultural workshops by taking the aid of TAFE’s extended network of dealership.The main objective of this initiative is to spread awareness on the advantages of better maintenance of tractors, thus resulting in lower usage of fuel, minimum cost, and maximum productivity.
- To improve which sector, does India and Japan’s ISE Foods signed MoU recently?
1) Subsistence farms
2) Pastoral farms
3) Arable farms
4) Poultry farms
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Poultry farms
India has inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ISE Foods, Japan’s largest egg producer. The objective is to improve the quality of eggs, disease diagnosis and waste management in poultry farms across India. ISE Foods will establish two poultry farms in India out of which first will be in Gujarat’s Surat city and second will be in Telangan’s Siddipet.The egg production process used by ISE Foods is fully automated, the chickens are totally antibiotic-free and ISE’s production process is considered the most hygienic in the world.ISE Foods also regulates “ISE Integration System” which supervise the production of feed, poultry farming, egg collection, packing and delivery production to control quality.
- Name the country, whose bilateral trade with India in the sectors of merchandise and services has grown by 12.6% from USD 126 billion in 2017 to USD 142 billion in 2018.
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) U.S.
The bilateral trade between India and the US in merchandise and services has grown by 12.6% from USD 126 billion in 2017 to USD 142 billion in 2018. This was welcomed by the two countries in the recently concluded India-US bilateral trade meeting in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, along with the Wilbur Ross, US Secretary of Commerce.Both countries have started many initiatives to boost trade and deepen economic cooperation including the private sector led US-India SME (Small and Medium-sized Enterprise) Forum.
- Name the two Indian’s, who were honoured for laying down their lives in UN peace-service among 115 UN personnel staff.
i. Vimla Mehra
ii. Shikha Garg
iii. Meera Borwankar
iv. Jitender Kumar
1) Option ii & iii
2) Option ii & iv
3) Option i & iv
4) Option ii & i
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option ii & iv
The Secretary of United Nations, General Antonio Guterres, accompanied with top UN officials and Peacekeeping personnel paid homage to 115 peacekeepers from 43 different countries who laid down their lives in the service of peace. Among the 115 peacekeepers, 2 Indians were also paid tribute. They were honoured for their sacrifice in the line of duty. The 2 Indians were:Jitender Kumar: He was an Indian police officer deployed to the UN Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).Shikha Garg: She was a consultant who had worked in the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). She was killed in the Nairobi-bound Ethiopian Airlines plane crash. They sacrificed their lives in peace-service between January 2018 and March 2019.
- Who was appointed as the Head of Marketing for India and South Asia in the digital payments technology, Visa?
1) Vasant M. Prabhu
2) Denise Morrison
3) Rajat Taneja
4) Sujatha V Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Sujatha V Kumar
Visa, the global leader in digital payments technology, announced the appointment of Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia. She will be driving overall marketing strategy and execution including consumer, retail and digital marketing initiatives for India and the emerging markets of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and the Maldives. She will succeed Manmeet Vohra. Prior to this, she worked with Google as Head in Brand & Reputation, Marketing and Strategy.She has 20 years of experience and extensive knowledge of consumer insights, brand development, go-to-market approaches, category management, retail strategy and promotions.
- Which UN organisation has been re elected Jagjit Pavadia recently defeating candidate from china?
1) United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR)
2) United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
3) International Narcotics Control Board(INCB)
4) International Atomic Energy Agency
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) International Narcotics Control Board(INCB)
Jagjit Pavadia, an Indian, has been re-elected by the UN Economic and Social Council to a five year term on International Narcotics Control Board with the highest number of votes of 44 in the 54 member council. She will begin her term on March 2, next year. A member of the Indian Revenue Service, Ms Pavadia is the former Narcotics Commissioner of India.She was elected to the INCB for her first five year term in 2014. She has also served as the First Vice-President of the Board in 2016 and Chair of the Standing Committee on Estimates in 2015 and 2017.
- Who has been elected as the Vice-President of IMMA, International Motorcycle Manufactures Association?
1) Rakesh Sharma
2) D J Balaji Rao
3) Gita Piramal
4) Nanoo Pamnani
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rakesh Sharma
Rakesh Sharma, Bajaj Auto Executive Director and also a representative of SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures) has been elected as VP (Vice President) of IMMA, International Motorcycle Manufactures Association (based in Geneva) during the annual general meeting of (IMMA) at Yogyakarta in Indonesia. Rakesh Sharma has a wide range of experience in 2 and 3-wheeler industry and he is expected to efficiently direct IMMA towards being the trusted motorcycle manufacturers worldwide.IMMA’s president is Johannes Loman.
- Name the largest provider of broadband satellite networks and services, that has agreed to merge with Bharti Airtel broadband satellite or VSAT (very small aperture terminal) business to improve operational efficiencies.
1) Charter Spectrum.
3) Hughes Communication India
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hughes Communication India
Bharti Airtel and Hughes Communication India have agreed to merge their broadband satellite or VSAT (very small aperture terminal) business to improve operational efficiencies and target new customers in areas such as in-flight connectivity. After a merger, Hughes Communication will own 67% share of new entity and the remaining 33% will own by Bharti Airtel.If we talk about current market share, the Hughes Communication has 36% share of the market and Airtel Business – the enterprise and VSAT arm of Bharti Airtel has 27% share of the market.
- Which Chemical can be used to treat neurological diseases, as per the study published in the journal “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)”?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Serotonin
Researchers at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai have identified a new function for Serotonin, a monoamine neurotransmitter. The serotonin may help treat neurological diseases.The results of the study were published in the journal “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)”.A research paper jointly led by Vidita A. Vaidya and UllasKolthur-Seetharam from TIFR, in collaboration with Ashok Vaidya from KHS (Kasturba Health Society), had found that stress buster Serotonin is involved in the generation of new mitochondria in neurons, increased cellular respiration and fuel (ATP- adenosine triphosphate) in the cell.The recent discovery establishes that serotonin signaling could be used to prevent mitochondrial abnormalities and neuronal loss.
- According to the cosmochemist from the Arizona State University’s School of Earth and Space Exploration water has been found in which asteroid samples collected by the Japanese space probe Hayabusa?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Itokawa
Maitrayee Bose, Indian-origin cosmochemist along with Ziliang Jin, a postdoctoral scholar in Arizona State University’s School of Earth and Space Exploration, have found water in asteroid Itokawa samples collected by the Japanese space probe Hayabusa. The research paper detailing the analysis of five of the particles from the asteroid samples was published in the journal Science Advances on 8th May 2019.Maitrayee Bose, isotope cosmochemist, is an assistant professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University (ASU) in Tempe, US. Itokawa is a peanut-shaped S-type asteroid about 1,800 feet long and 700 to 1,000 feet wide. It circles the Sun every 18 months at an average distance of 1.3 times the Earth-Sun distance.
- Name the father of modern legal education in India and Padma Shri awardeee, who passed away recently.
1) Jayantilal Bhanusali
2) Dibyendu Palit
3) Pinaki Thakur
4) NR Madhava Menon
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) NR Madhava Menon
On 7th May 2019, Renowned academician and father of modern Indian Legal Education, Dr. Neelakanta Ramakrishna Madhava Menon (NR Madhava Menon) died at a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram at the age of 84. He was born on 4th May 1935 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Madhava Menon founded the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in Bengaluru, National Judicial Academy (NJA) in Bhopal and the National University of Judicial Sciences (NUJS) in Kolkata.The first national law school in India, National Law School of India, Bengaluru, was founded in 1986. The school was headed by him for 12 years.The National University of Judicial Sciences in Kolkata was founded in 1998, and the National Judicial Academy in Bhopal was founded in 2003.
- What was the theme of the World Red Cross Day or Red Crescent Day 2019?
1) Theme – Less known Red Cross stories
2) Theme – #Love
3) Theme – Memorable smiles from around the world
4) Theme – Together for Humanity
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Theme – #Love
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) celebrated the World Red Cross Day on May 8th. The theme of this year was “#Love”.It is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of the founder of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, Henry Dunant, who was born on 8th May 1828.This year’s celebration also coincides with the centenary of the founding of IFRC on 5th May,1919 by the American, British, French, Italian and Japanese Red Cross Societies.
- India celebrates __________ edition of Raising Day of Border Roads Organization(BRO) on May 7,2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 59th
The 59th Raising Day of Border Roads Organization (BRO) was celebrated on May 7, 2019. It is a nodal road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence. It was formed on 7th May 1960, with the primary role of providing road connectivity in border areas.It executes road construction and maintenance works along the Northern and Western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the Army and is responsible for over 53,000 km roads.
- What was the theme of the World Thalassaemia Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Get connected: Share knowledge and experience and fight for a better tomorrow in thalassaemia”
2) Theme – “Thalassaemia past, present and future: Documenting progress and patients’ needs worldwide”
3) Theme – “Universal Access to Quality Thalassaemia Healthcare Services: Building Bridges with and for Patients”
4) Theme – “Access to safe and effective drugs in thalassaemia”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Universal Access to Quality Thalassaemia Healthcare Services: Building Bridges with and for Patients”
World Thalassaemia Day 2019 was celebrated on May 8 worldwide with a theme of “Universal Access to Quality Thalassaemia Healthcare Services: Building Bridges with and for Patients”. The purpose of this day is to honour all patients of thalassaemia and their wards who never gave up despite all odds and also to support researchers who are striving to create an improved quality of life for people with thalassaemia across the world. To celebrate this day, Thalassaemia International Federation (TIF) organised 3 online competitions worldwide with a certain theme. This online competition will include a video challenge, a photo contest, and a story competition.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) located?Geneva, Switzerland
- When was Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) initiated?2015
- Who is the CEO of HDFC Life Insurance?Vibha Padalkar
- What is the Capital and Currency of Japan?Capital: Tokyo & Currency: Japanese Yen
- Who is the President of International Motorcycle Manufactures Association(IMMA)?Johannes Loman