AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 7 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 7 2018
- On 7th May 2018, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and which country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kuwait
The protocol updates the provisions in the DTAA for exchange of information according to international standards. It also enables sharing of information received from Kuwait for tax purposes with other law enforcement agencies, subject to an authorisation of the competent authority of Kuwait and vice versa. According to the CBDT, the protocol to amend the existing agreement between India and Kuwait was signed in June 2006 for avoidance of double taxation. Another protocol was signed in January 2017 to prevent fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income. This protocol came to effect on 26thMarch 2018.
- An important peptide that can be used to create a new preventive vaccine against _____ has been found out by researchers from the Gujarat Biotechnology Research Centre, Gandhinagar?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.leptospirosis
Leptospirosis is a tropical infectious disease. At present there is no preventive vaccine for Leptospirosis. The researchers used computer-based analysis to learn the whole protein set of the bacteria Leptospira interrogans. They narrowed down to one effective immunogenic protein. This protein was found in almost all the serovars (different types within a species) of the bacteria. It can be an effective vaccine candidate against most serovars. The proteome (entire protein set) of a serovar Copenhageni strain was studied using bioinformatics (computational biology analysis) approach. The protein was chosen as the candidate immunogen after physicochemical and structural studies were performed.
- NITI Aayog signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) with which firm to enhance growth in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) ecosystem in India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Google
The Statement of Intent (SoI) was signed by Ms. Anna Roy, Advisor, NITI Aayog and Rajan Anandan, Vice President, India and South East Asia, Google. NITI Aayog will setup a national programme to perform research and development in advanced technologies like AI. NITI Aayog has been developing India’s national strategy on AI along with the National Data and Analytics Portal for wide deployment and use of AI. Under this program, Google will train and incubate Indian AI startups in an accelerator program. These startups will be mentored and coached by Google and its affiliates so that AI can be utilized in a better way in their respective business models. As a part of this program, Indian researchers, scholars and university faculty will be funded for AI-based research.
- Name the country that announced its withdrawal from the contest for a non-permanent seat at the UN Security Council (UNSC) for the 2019-2020 term, on 4th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Israel
Israel has been competing with Germany and Belgium for one out of the two seats assigned to the Western European and Others Group. The UNSC has five permanent members and 10 non-permanent members who are elected for a two-year term. Candidates for non-permanent seats on the council are selected by regional groups.
- On 7th May 2018, Government of India signed a loan deal worth $ 200 million with _____ for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan)?
1.Asian Development Bank
2.State Bank of India
4.European Investment Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.World Bank
This loan will help India to reach its goal of reducing stunting in children of the age 0-6 years from 38.4% to 25% by 2022. The POSHAN (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan was launched by Prime Minister on 8th March 2018 at Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. POSHAN Abhiyaan’s main objective is gradual increase of the interventions supported by the World Bank assisted Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Systems Strengthening and Nutrition Improvement Project (ISSNIP) to all districts in India for a 3-year period. This loan will support the first phase scale up to 315 districts and union territories (UTs) in India. The coverage and quality of ICDS nutrition services for pregnant and lactating women and children under 3 years of age will be improved.
- Name Fiji’s Indian-origin former Prime Minister who has been selected for the V K Krishna Menon Award for his contribution to the Indian diaspora?
1.Aman Singh Mittal
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mahendra Chaudhry
The award was announced by the director of V K Krishna Menon Institute Cyriac Maprayil recently. Mahendra Chaudhry is the leader of the Fiji Labour Party. He became Fiji’s first Indo-Fijian Prime Minister on 19 May 1999. But he had to step down exactly one year later. Mahendra Chaudhry’s ancestors are from Rohtak, Haryana. His paternal grandfather went to Fiji in 1902. He worked in sugarcane plantations.
- On May 7 2018, who became Russia’s president for a historic fourth term?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Vladimir Putin
Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin was born on 7 October 1952 in Leningrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union (now Saint Petersburg). He studied law at Leningrad State University, graduating in 1975. The following things are Putin’s presidential terms
• 2000–2004: First presidential term
• 2004–2008: Second presidential term
• 2008–2012: Second premiership
• 2012–2018: Third presidential term
- On 7th May 2018, which company said that, it has acquired SpaceTime Insight, a California-based startup, to expand its Internet of Things (IoT) portfolio and IoT analytics capabilities?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Nokia
SpaceTime Insight offers machine learning-powered analytics and IoT applications for several world’s largest transportation, energy and utilities organisations. It has offices in India, Canada, UK and Japan. Nokia did not reveal the terms of the deal. It said that the acquisition will enhance the development of the company’s IoT offerings. Rob Schilling, who had been CEO of SpaceTime, will become the head of Nokia’s IoT unit.
- On May 7, 2018, ____ said that, it has developed an atomic clock to be used in navigation satellites to measure clear-cut location data?
1.Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
2.Defence Research And Development Organisation (DRDO)
3.Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
The desi atomic clock is being developed by the Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad.This clock is currently undergoing a series of qualification tests. Once it successfully clears all tests, the desi atomic clock will be used in an experimental navigation satellite to test its accuracy and durability in space. ISRO unable to get the imported atomic clock’s design and technology.But desi clock has been developed based on requirements and will compete imported atomic clock. All of the seven navigation satellites of India as part of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) or NaVIC have three imported Rubdium atomic clocks. The rubidium atomic clocks from Europe started failing on the first navigation satellite, IRNSS-1A, around 2016, soon after ISRO put the last and seventh satellite in orbit.
- Scientists have discovered a mineral named ____, in a lunar meteorite that points to abundant hidden reserves of water ice under the surface of the Moon, which can be used for future human exploration?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Moganite
Researchers from Tohoku University in Japan discovered the mineral, named moganite, in a lunar meteorite in a desert in northwest Africa. Moganite is a crystal of silicon dioxide. It is known to form on Earth in certain circumstances in sedimentary settings from alkaline fluids. Researchers say that the mineral formed on the surface of the Moon in the area called Procellarum Terrane, as water present in lunar dirt evaporated due to exposure to sunlight. Researchers estimate that water content in the lunar soil under the surface could be nearly 0.6 per cent.
- Researchers have said that, the dense vegetation in the Western Ghats determines the amount of rainfall of which state during the summer monsoon?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Tamil Nadu
A team of researchers from the Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay has discovered that dense forests of the Western Ghats contribute to nearly 40% of moisture to the southwest monsoon rainfall in Tamil Nadu in the normal monsoon years. The average contribution is 25-30%. In monsoon deficit years, the contribution increases to 50%.The study says that, the forests of Western Ghats contribute to 3 mm rainfall per day in August and September on many regions in Tamil Nadu and 1 mm per day in June and July. The study was published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. It also said that deforestation of the Western Ghats led to 0.25 degree C increase in surface temperature across Tamil Nadu.
- On May 6 2018, Olympic medalist Gagan Narang and Pooja Ghatkar bagged the silver medal in the mixed event at Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition held in which country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Czech Republic
On May 6 2018, Olympic medalist Gagan Narang and Pooja Ghatkar bagged the silver medal in the mixed event at Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition held in Pilsen, Czech Republic. Having topped the qualification with 833.2 points, with Pooja shooting 413.5 and Gagan 419.7, the Indian pair came close to overtaking Jurate Cesynaite and Karolis Girulis for the gold, before missing the target by 1.3 point. P. Shri Nivetha and Amanpreet Singh claimed the mixed air pistol silver.
- On 6th May 2018, India finished on top with how many gold medals, at the 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships (SAJAC) at Sugathadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.20
On 6th May 2018, India finished on top with 20 gold, 22 silver and 8 bronze medals, at the 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships (SAJAC) at Sugathadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Host Sri Lanka won 12 gold medals 10 silver and 19 bronze medals and occupied 2nd place. Pakistan won 1 silver and 1 bronze medal and secured the third place. The Indian junior athletes also created five new meet records (NMR) on the final day of the championships. In girls triple jump, Priyadarshini Suresh won the gold medal with new meet records (NMR) of 12.90m.
- When did Border Roads Organisation (BRO) celebrate its Raising Day?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.May 7
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) will celebrate its Raising Day on May 7 every year. The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) will celebrate completing 58 years of glorious service to the nation. A leader in the arena of infrastructural development will celebrate in the border areas of the country. BRO’s ideology ‘Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam’ has been implemented in friendly neighbouring countries through different project. BRO also deeds to investigate new frontiers while it undertakes systematic modernisation of its construction techniques, with its focus remaining on enhancing productivity and quality construction.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Director general and headquarters of Border Roads Organisation (BRO)?Director General – Lt. Gen.Harpal Singh, Headquarters – New Delhi
- Which state houses the MGR Race Course Stadium?Tamil Nadu
- Which is the Highest Lake in India?Cholamu Lake, Sikkim
- Who is the CEO of NITI Aayog that is headquartered in New Delhi?Amitabh Kant
- Where is Khaparwas Wildlife Sanctuary located?Haryana
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification