AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where was the SWIFT India and South Asia Conference 2019 held ?
1) New Delhi, Delhi
2) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
3) Kolkata, West Bengal
4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
The SWIFT India and South Asia Conference was held successfully on 9 May 2019 at the St Regis Mumbai, Maharashtra. The conference saw the participation of 500 delegates representing financial institutions, regulators, market infrastructure experts, multinational corporations, and other industry professionals, to discuss the most pertinent issues concerning the nation’s financial market.
- What was the theme of the SWIFT India and South Asia Conference 2019 held in Mumbai recently ?
1) Theme – “Think equal, build smart, innovate for change”
2) Theme – “Act to change laws that Discriminate”
3) Theme – “Digitisation in transition: The future of innovation and cyber security”
4) Theme – “United Nations Promotes SDGs- Safe Ground- Safe Home”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Digitisation in transition: The future of innovation and cyber security”
The SWIFT India and South Asia Conference was held successfully on 9 May 2019 at the St Regis Mumbai, Maharashtra.It was organized and hosted by SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication).The theme of the conference was “Digitisation in transition: The future of innovation and cyber security”.The objective of the conference was to discuss these key issues with a specific focus on innovation and our preparedness to face challenges around cybersecurity.
- Which city is set to host the 10th National Science Film Festival of India(NSFFI) in the year 2020 ?
1) Agartala, Tripura
2) Kolkata, West Bengal
3) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Agartala, Tripura
10th National Science Film Festival of India (NSFFI) will be held in Agartala, Tripura in January-February 2020. This is for the second time the event will be held in a North-Eastern city. It will be jointly hosted by Vigyan Prasar of the Central Government, State Government, and Tripura Central University.The Chief Minister of the State Biplab Kumar Deb had requested the Union Science and Technology Minister to hold the NSFF in Tripura.
- Which ministry has launched a song “Hawa Aane De” to spread awareness about Air pollution ahead of World Environment day 2019 ?
1) Ministry of Earth Sciences
2) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC)
3) Ministry of Jal Shakti
4) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC)
Ahead of the World Environment Day (WED) on 5th of June, Union Environment Ministry has launched the song “Hawa Aane De” to spread awareness about Air pollution. It was launched by Secretary of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), C K Mishra in the presence of actor Shekhar Suman and singer Shaan.Every year, on the occasion of WED, a celebration is held at Vigyan Bhawan.
- Name the Indian lyricist, who penned the song “Hawa Aane De” to spread awareness about Air pollution recently .
1) Jaideep Sahni
2) Irshad Kamil
3) Rajendra Krishan
4) Swanand Kirkire
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Swanand Kirkire
“Hawa Aane De” Song was produced by MoEFCC, in collaboration with Bhamla Foundation, Mumbai, as the theme song for WED 2019. It is written by Swanand Kirkire. It is sung by Shantanu Mukherjee, Kapil Sharma, Sunidhi Chauhan and Shankar Mahadevan. The film has been directed by Romanchak Arora.
- Which bank has partnered with Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) for providing financing solutions for vehicles across the country ?
1) HDFC Bank
2) State Bank of India
3) IDFC First Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) IDFC First Bank
On May 28, 2019, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) partnered with IDFC FIRST Bank to provide financing solutions for vehicles across the country. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed for the loan facility up to 100% of vehicle cost, zero processing fee, down payment of Rs.999 and extended loan tenure of 48 months offered to two-wheeler customers. This will lead to extra savings of Rs 5,000 on an average loan. The partnership will help IDFC FIRST Bank to offer speedy and convenient financing solutions to the customers.
- Which of the following identity proof is to submitted to banks by the customers who receive any benefit or subsidy under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) as per Reserve Bank of India(RBI)?
1) Aadhaar number
2) Permanent Account Number (PAN)
3) Both 1 & 2
4) Either 1 or 2
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aadhaar number
The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has permitted banks to accept Aadhaar number (Offline verification) for Know Your Customer(KYC) verification with the consent of the customers. RBI has added the ‘Proof of possession of Aadhaar number’ to the list of Officially Valid Documents (OVD).This was notified by the RBI in its amended Master Direction on KYC. RBI’s Master Direction is a rule book that the regulated entities need to follow. The bank should obtain the Aadhaar number from the customers who receive any benefit or subsidy under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).For Non-DBT beneficiary customers, the Regulated Entities (REs) should obtain a certified copy of any OVD describing the details of the customer’s identity and address along with 1 recent photograph.
- CPI was in news recently, what does C stands for ____________?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Consumer
C stands for Consumer.The full form of CPI is (Consumer Price Index ).
- What is the GDP growth of India for the financial year 2020 as per Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) ?
2) 7.3 %
4) 7.2 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 7.1%
FICCI’s (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) economic outlook survey has projected India’s median GDP (Gross Domestic Product) 7.1% for FY20 and 7.2% for FY21. The survey was conducted among economiMinimum and maximum growth estimate stood at 6.8 percent and 7.3 percent.Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation rate is projected at 3.1% in 2019-20 with a minimum and maximum range of 2.1 percent and 4 percent, respectively.Consumer Price Index (CPI) based inflation forecasted at 4% for 2019-20 with a minimum and maximum range of 3.5 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively.sts belonging to the industry, banking, and financial services sectors.
- Name the tribal woman of Odisha, who became the youngest MP of India by winning Keonjhar constituency, Odisha in 2019 election.
1) Poonam Mahajan
2) Heena Gavit
3) Priyanka Singh Rawat
4) Chandrani Murmu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Chandrani Murmu
A tribal woman from Odisha, Chandrani Murmu aged 25 of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) party became the youngest MP in the country. She defeated the two-time BJP MP Ananta Nayak by a margin of 66,203 votes and claimed the Keonjhar constituency, Odisha. She replaced Dushyant Chautala who was elected at the age of 26 from the Hisar Lok Sabha seat in 2014.
- How many Indian- origin kids were among the 8 who won the 92nd Scripps National Spelling Bee Contest held in Maryland, US ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 6
On May 30, 2019, For the first time in 92 years, 6 Indian-origin kids were among the 8 who won the 92nd Scripps National Spelling Bee Contest. They were awarded the cash of $50,000 and prizes. The competition, broadcasted in ESPN, was held at Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Maryland, US. Erin Howard aged 14 of Alabama, Rishik Gandhasri aged 13 of California, Saketh Sundar aged 13 of Maryland, Shruthika Padhy aged 13 of New Jersey, Sohum Sukhatankar aged 13 of Texas, Abhijay Kodali aged 12 of Texas, Christopher Serrao aged 13 of New Jersey and Rohan Raja aged 13 of Texas were the winners of the competition.
- Who sworn in as the Prime Minister of India for the second consecutive term ?
1) Priyanka Gandhi Vadra
2) Narendra Damodardas Modi
3) Rahul Gandhi
4) Amit Shah
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Narendra Damodardas Modi
National Democratic Alliance (NDA) leader Narendra Damodardas Modi had taken oath as Prime Minister for the second consecutive term. Along with Narendra Modi, total 57 ministers had taken the oath of Office and Secrecy which is administered by President Ram Nath Kovind. Out of total 57 council of ministers, 24 cabinet ministers had taken oath including Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh, Nirmala Sitharaman, Smriti Irani and Piyush Goyal, 9 as Minister of State with Independent Charge and another 24 as Minister of State.
- Which international organization has visited India as the chief guest of PM Modi’s Swearing-in Ceremony ?
1) South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Countries
2) Association of Southeast Asian Nations(ASEAN)
3) BRICS Countries
4) Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC)
A total of more than 8,000 guests have attended the oath taking ceremony of PM Narendra Modi.Foreign Guests – There were number of foreign guests who attended the oath taking ceremony which include all leaders from all Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries and leader of Mauritius and Kyrgyzstan.
- Who sworn in as the first full time female Finance Minister of India on 31st May, 2019 ?
1) Nirmala Sitharaman
2) Smriti Zubin Irani
3) Debasree Chaudhuri
4) Renuka Singh Saruta
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nirmala Sitharaman
Total 57 council of ministers, 24 cabinet ministers had taken oath including Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh, Nirmala Sitharaman, Smriti Irani and Piyush Goyal, 9 as Minister of State with Independent Charge and another 24 as Minister of State.Nirmala Sitharaman has become the first full-time female Finance Minister of India on 31st May, 2019.
- Name the new ministry, which is formed by merging Ministries of Water Resources and Drinking Water and Sanitation .
1) Ministry of Water and Sanitation
2) Ministry of Jal Shakti
3) Ministry of Jal and Sanitation
4) Ministry of Drinking Water
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Jal Shakti
Central government had formed ‘Jal Shakti’ Ministry or Ministry of Jal Shakti by Merging Water Resources and Drinking Water Ministries. Gajendra Singh Shekhawat take charge as the Minister of Jal Shakti on 31st May, 2019.
- Who has become the youngest council of ministers in second term of Modi government ?
1) Giriraj Singh
2) Piyush Goyal
3) Smriti Irani
4) Harsh Vardhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Smriti Irani
Smriti Irani is the youngest council of ministers in the second term of Modi government. She is currently 43 years of age.She took charge as the Minister of Women and Child Development; and Minister of Textiles on 31st May, 2019.
- To which ministry, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar the first career diplomat has sworn in as cabinet minister on 31st May, 2019?
1) Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
2) Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Ministry of Food Processing Industries
4) Ministry of External Affairs
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ministry of External Affairs
Subrahmanyam Jaishankar had become first career diplomat to be appointed as External Affairs Minister of India on 31st May, 2019.
- Bharatiya Janata Party’s president Amit Shah, sworn in as minister of ________________, on 31st May,2019 ?
1) Minister of Home Affairs
2) Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment
3) Minister of Defence
4) Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Minister of Home Affairs
Bharatiya Janata Party’s president Amit Shah assumed charge as the Minister of Home Affairs on 31st May, 2019.
- Who succeeds Nirmala Sitharaman and assumed charge as Minister of Defence in newly formed government on 31st May, 2019 ?
1) Smriti Zubin Irani
2) Raj Nath Singh
3) Narendra Singh Tomar
4) Piyush Goyal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Raj Nath Singh
Raj Nath Singh take charge as the Minister of Defence on 31st May, 2019.
- Name the first helicopter pilot who became 24th Chief of Naval Staff(CNS) recently .
1) Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma
2) Admiral Sunil Lanba
3) Admiral Karambir Singh
4) Admiral Arun Prakash
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Admiral Karambir Singh
On May 31, 2019, Admiral Karambir Singh assumed charge as the new 24th Chief of Naval Staff (CNS). He succeeded Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba, who retired from the service after completion of 3 years. Singh was the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) of the Eastern Naval Command(ENC) headquartered at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. He is the first helicopter pilot of the Navy to become the CNS.He has a vast experience of nearly 39 years having served in various commands, staff and instructional appointments.Born on November 3, 1959, he was commissioned to the Indian Navy in July 1980. He is an alumnus of Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and College of Naval Warfare, Mumbai.
- Name the commission, which has increased the tenure of judicial member, Justice VK Jain for next one year .
1) Law Commission
2) National Human Rights Commission(NHRC)
3) Central Vigilance Commission(CVC)
4) National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC)
On May 29, 2019, Supreme Court extended the term of Justice VK Jain as Judicial Member of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC). His term was supposed to expire on May 29, 2019.The decision on the extension of term was given by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Aniruddha Bose.Justice Jain’s tenure is extended for 1 year or till the process of fresh appointment is completed, whichever is earlier.
- Which entity has acquired 75percent of stake in Stater N.V, a subsidiary of the Netherlands-based ABN AMRO Bank ?
2) Tata Consultancy Services
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Infosys
Infosys, technology giant has acquired 75% stake in Stater N.V, a subsidiary of the Netherlands-based ABN AMRO Bank.It was acquired for $144 million (Rs 999 crore) in cash by Infosys consulting arm Infosys Consulting Pte Ltd.ABN AMRO will hold the remaining 25% of the shareholding in Stater. ABN AMRO is the third largest Dutch bank headquartered at Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Which IIT has signed with Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO) to set up Space Technology Cell (STC) within the premises ?
1) IIT Mumbai
2) IIT Guwahati
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Kharagpur
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) IIT Guwahati
On May 24, 2019, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to set up IITG-ISRO Space Technology Cell (STC) within the premises of IIT Guwahati. This is the first institute in the North-East Region to increase the research and capacity building processes in the field of space and technology.As a part of the event, The Governor of Assam, Jagdish Mukhi inaugurated a new academic complex and research and development building at IIT Guwahati Campus.
- Name the exoplanet, which was discovered by astronomers with the University of Warwick, UK in the Neptunian Desert .
2) HD 134060
3) Next-Generation Transit Survey(NGTS)- 4b
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Next-Generation Transit Survey(NGTS)- 4b
The international collaboration of astronomers with the University of Warwick, UK, have discovered an exoplanet, Next-Generation Transit Survey (NGTS) – 4b, the Forbidden Planet, in the Neptunian Desert. It is smaller than Neptune but 3 times the size of the Earth.The Research was led by Dr. Richard West including Professor Peter Wheatley, Dr. Daniel Bayliss and Dr. James McCormac from the Astronomy and Astrophysics Group at the University of Warwick.
- What is the name of the new species of wasp identified in Goa recently ?
1) Polistes carolina
2) Vespa velutina
3) Polistes dominula
4) Kudakrumia Rangnekari
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Kudakrumia Rangnekari
A new species of wasp from the genus Kudakrumia has been identified by scientists in Goa. It has been named as Kudakrumia Rangnekari after Goa-based researcher Parag Rangnekar.Wasp is a member of a group of insects in the order Hymenoptera, suborder Apocrita. It is neither an ant nor a bee. They are found in Goa and Kerala in India and Sri Lanka, outside India.The holotype was collected from the forests of Northen Western Ghats from Kotigao Wildlife sanctuary. The paratype(specimen) was collected from Ranipuram hill of Kerala, Southern Western Ghats.
- Where was the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup 3 2019 held recently ?
1) Munich, Germany
2) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3) Beijing, China
4) Buenos Aires, Argentina
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Munich, Germany
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup 3 was held in Munich, Germany from 24th to 31st May 2019. India won 5 gold medal and a silver medal totaling 6 medals and topped the medal tally. China won two gold, two silver, and five bronze medals and placed second in the medal tally. Next tournament ISSF World Cup 4 is set to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Who won gold medal in 10 metre air pistol in Men’s Category and broke his own world record ?
1) Jitu Rai
2) Saurabh Chaudhary
3) Abhishek Verma
4) Vijay Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Saurabh Chaudhary
Saurabh Chaudhary won a gold medal in 10 metre air pistol and broke down his own world record of 245 by shooting 246.3 points in the final.
S.No Name of the Shooter Event Name Medal won 1. Saurabh Chaudhary(World Record) 10 metre air pistol Gold 2. Apurvi Chandela 10 metre air rifle Gold 3. Rahi Sarnobat 25 metre pistol Gold 4. Divyansh Singh Panwar & Anjum Moudgil 10 metre air rifle(Mixed Team) Gold 5. Saurabh Chaudhary & Manu Bhaker 10 metre air pistol(Mixed Team) Gold 6. Apurvi Chandela & Deepak Kumar (sport shooter) 10 metre air rifle(Mixed Team) Silver
- Name the Indian Shooter, who clinches seventh Olympic quota for 2020 Tokyo Olympics .
1) Saurabh Chaudhary
2) Apurvi Chandela
3) Manu Bhaker
4) Rahi Sarnobat
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Manu Bhaker
Asian Games champion Rahi Sarnobat and Manu Bhaker clinched sixth and seventh Olympic quota respectively in shooting for 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Name the deceased american actor, who was well known by the film “The Godfather” at the age of 85 in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
1) Brad Renfro
2) Ryan Dunn
3) Corey Haim
4) Carmine Caridi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Carmine Caridi
American Television as well as film actor, Carmine Caridi passed away at the age of 85 in Los Angeles, California, U.S. He was born in New York City, New York, U.S. He was well known by the films, The Godfather Part II (1974) and The Godfather Part III (1990).He was the first person to be expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in the year 2004.
- What was the theme of the World No Tobacco Day 2019 ?
1) Theme – “Tobacco and Lung health”
2) Theme – “Tobacco and heart disease”
3) Theme – “Tobacco – a threat to development”
4) Theme – “Get Ready for Plain Packaging”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “Tobacco and Lung health”
World No-Tobacco Day (WNTD) was observed on May 31. It is celebrated to raise awareness to the public to stop smoking. The theme of the year is “Tobacco and Lung health”. The member states of the World Health Organization(WHO) declared this day for the first time in 1987.In 1987, the World Health Assembly passed a Resolution WHA40.38 to celebrate April 7, 1988 as ‘World No-Smoking Day’. In 1988, Resolution WHA42.19 was passed to celebrate ‘World No Tobacco Day’ every year on 31 May.Since 1988, WHO has presented awards to organizations or individuals who have made exceptional contributions in reducing tobacco consumption.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of World Health Organization(WHO) located ?Geneva, Switzerland
- Who is the President of International Shooting Sport Federation(ISSF) ?Vladimir Lisin
- Where is the headquarter of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) located?New Delhi, India
- When was Supreme Court of India founded ?1950
- What is the Motto of Indian Navy ?Sham No Varunah (May the Lord of the water be auspicious unto us)