AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which armed force of India, has signed an agreement with Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO) for selecting and training astronaut for Gaganyaan Programme.
1) Indian Army
2) Indian Air Force
3) Indian Navy
4) Both 1 & 2
5) Both 2 & 3Answer – 2) Indian Air Force
On May 28, 2019, The Indian Air Force(IAF) and Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO) signed an agreement on the selection of crew and training for Gaganyaan Programme. It was signed between Air Vice Marshal(AVM) RGK Kapoor, Assistant Chief of Air Staff(ACAS) Operations (Space), IAF and Shri R Hutton, Project Director of Gaganyaan Programme.The Institute of Aerospace Medicine (IAM) will lead the selection and training of astronauts on behalf of IAF.Gaganyaan Programme was announced by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15, 2018.
- Name the Squadron, which would be the first unit to receive the Rafale combat aircraft in september 2019.
1) No. 10 Squadron nicknamed “Daggers”
2) No. 14 Squadron nicknamed “Bulls”
3) No. 12 Squadron nicknamed “Yaks”
4) No. 17 Squadron nicknamed “Golden Arrows”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) No. 17 Squadron nicknamed “Golden Arrows”
The first Rafale combat aircraft would be inducted in the ‘Golden Arrows’ 17 Squadron of Indian Air Force (IAF). This squadron was commanded by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa during the Kargil war in 1999.Another squadron of the fighter aircraft will be based out of Hashimara in West Bengal to tackle the front facing China.Earlier, 17 Squadron was located at Bhatinda, Punjab and was used to operate the MiG-21. Hereafter, it will be shifted to Ambala in Haryana.The first Rafale is expected to be handed over to the Indian Air Force in September 2019.
- Where did India and Pakistan discuss the modalities for a corridor linking Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib?
1) Kartarpur Zero Point
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kartarpur Zero Point
Officials from India and Pakistan hold the meeting at Kartarpur Zero Point to discuss the modalities for a corridor linking Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur across the border.The Indian delegation has officials from different ministries like from Ministry of External Affairs, Home Ministry, Land Ports Authority of India, National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) and other others.Last month also, officials from both the countries which include technical experts and foreign officials had participated in the talks held at the same venue.
- Who is the head of 6 member panel on secondary market for corporate loans constituted by Reserve Bank of India recently ?
1) R A Sankara Narayanan
2) Matam Venkata Rao
3) T N Manoharan
4) H Krishnamurthy
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) T N Manoharan
Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has formed two separate 6 member panels to strengthen the sale of stressed corporate assets and housing loan portfolios. The six-member task force on the development of the secondary market is headed by its chairperson, T. N. Manoharan, Chairman of Canara Bank and will submit its report by the end of August 2019. The panel on secondary market for corporate loans headed by Canara Bank Chairman T N Manoharan will measure the possibility of setting up a loan transaction platform for the sale stressed asset and creation of a loan contract registry to standardize information.The task force will review the existing state of the market for loan sale or transfer in India and at International level.
- Who headed the 6 member panel, which will review the the current market operations and recommend policy interventions for housing loan securitization ?
1) Siddhartha Karri
2) Harsh Vardhan
3) Satish Shankar
4) Dinkar Ayilavarapu
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Harsh Vardhan
Panel for housing loan securitization is headed by Bains and Co. advisor, Harsh Vardhan. RBI’s panel for housing loan securitization will review the current market operations and recommend policy interventions.ICRA, credit rating agency, figured out that securitization volume in FY19 was more than double as against FY18 to Rs.2 lakh crore as the Housing Financing Companies (HFCs) sold loans to banks in order to raise funds owing to tough liquidity conditions.
- FDI was in news recently, What is the full form of FDI ?
1) FDI – Fair Trade deficit Interest
2) FDI – Finance Deficit Interest
3) FDI – Financially Descendant Interest
4) FDI – Foreign Direct Investment
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) FDI – Foreign Direct Investment
FDI stands for Foreign Direct Investment. This was in news recently when, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), has released the status of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows for the 2018-19.
- How much billion dollar is invested in India through FDI, as per the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) ?
1) USD 44.37 billion
2) USD 45.37 billion
3) USD 46.37 billion
4) USD 47.37 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 44.37 billion
According to the data of the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), for the first time in last six years, Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows have declined in this fiscal (2018-19), falling by 1% to USD 44.37 billion. The FDI inflows in 2017-18 were USD 44.85 billion. Singapore replaced Mauritius to become the top source of FDI in the last fiscal. The FDI inflows from Singapore were USD 16.22 billion while the FDI inflows from Mauritius were USD 8 billion.
- Who won the global book prize “Nine Dots Prize 2019” for the essay “Bread, Cement, Cactus” ?
1) Salman Rushdie
2) Arundhati Roy
3) Annie Zaidi
4) Vikram Seth
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Annie Zaidi
Indian playwright and journalist Annie Zaidi won the Nine Dots Prize 2019 for her essay “Bread, Cement, Cactus.” She won the cash prize of USD 100,000 (Rs 69.83 lakh). The Nine Dots Prize is a book prize for creative thinking which addresses current burning issues of the society. The entrants were asked to respond to a question in three thousand words. This year the question was “Is there still no place like home?”
- Which Indian airport gets ‘International’ status as per sub-rule (b) of rule 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Rules, 1950 ?
1) Sri Sathya Sai Airport, Andhra Pradesh
2) Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Madhya Pradesh
3) Balurghat Airport, West Bengal
4) Nagarjuna Sagar Airport, Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Madhya Pradesh
On May 29, 2019, Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport of Indore, Madhya Pradesh was declared as International Airport. It was given the International status as per sub-rule (b) of rule 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Rules, 1950 by the Central Government. The airport is named after Maharani Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore.It is the busiest airport in Central India. Since March 24, 2018, it has been operating 24*7. It is conferred with the Worlds Standardization Certification by the United Kingdom.
- Who was appointed as the 8th Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea ?
1) Sam Abal
2) Sir Michael Somare
3) Peter O’Neill
4) James Marape
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) James Marape
Lawmakers of Papua New Guinea has elected James Marape as its 8th prime minister. He belongs to Pangu Party. He succeeded Peter O’Neill of People’s National Congress party, who was pressurized to resign by a series of political defections in recent days, and tensions over a multi-billion-dollar gas project signed this year with French company Total and the US firm ExxonMobil.Marape earlier served as the finance minister of Papua New Guinea while he was a member of People’s National Congress party and he resigned on April 2019.
- Who sworn in as the second chief minister of Andhra Pradesh post its bifurcation on 30th May, 2019?
1) Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
2) N. Chandrababu Naidu
3) B. Gopala Reddy
4) Neelam Sanjiva Reddy
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
On 30th May, 2019, Yuvajana Sramika Raithu(YSR) Congress chief Yeduguri Sandinti Jaganmohan Reddy(46), sworn in as the second chief minister of Andhra Pradesh post its bifurcation. He Succeeded Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief N Chandrababu Naidu. Governor of Andhra Pradesh, E S L Narasimhan administered the oath of office at the IGMC Stadium near Vijayawada.His party won 151 of the 175 seats in the state Assembly.He was earlier served as the Member of Parliament from Kadapa Lok Sabha constituency.Jaganmohan Reddy announces Rs 3,000 monthly pension for senior citizens & promises corruption-free governance after assuming charge. The scheme would begin with Rs 2,250 and it will be increased up to Rs 3,000 within three years.
- To which Naval command Atul Kumar Jain assumed as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C)?
1) Southern Naval Command
2) Western Naval Command
3) Eastern Naval Command
4) Both 1 & 2
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Eastern Naval Command
On May 30, 2019, Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, AVSM, VSM, assumed command as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) of the Eastern Naval Command(ENC). He succeeded Vice Admiral Karambir Singh, PVSM, AVSM, ADC, who will assume charge as the Navy Chief on promotion to the rank of Admiral on May 31, 2019. The Ceremonial parade was held at the naval base in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The ceremony was attended by all Flag Officers and Commanding Officers of ships and naval establishments.Vice Adm Atul Kumar Jain was commissioned into the Indian Navy in July 1982.He is an alumnus of Sainik School Rewa, National Defence Academy (Pune), the Defence Services Staff College (Wellington), the College of Naval Warfare (Mumbai) and the National Defence College (Pretoria, South Africa).
- Who assumed charge as the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) ?
1) Arup Raha
2) Birender Singh Dhanoa
3) Sunil Lanba
4) Bikram Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Birender Singh Dhanoa
Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa has received the baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) from Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lamba, an outgoing Chairman of COSC. Now BS Dhanoa will be the Chairman of COSC with effect from May 31, 2019 due to the retirement of Admiral Sunil Lamba on May 31. An alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College and the National Defence Academy, Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa was commissioned in the Flying Branch of Indian Air Force in June 1978. He is an experienced fighter pilot and also qualified CAT ‘A’ Flying Instructor with over 3000 hours of flying experience.
- Which entity has appointed Sandeep Patil as its India Managing Director ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Truecaller
Former Flipkart Executive Sandeep Patil has been appointed as India Managing Director of Truecaller. He served as the head of consumer and commercial lending vertical at Flipkart until his new appointment with Truecaller. Sandeep Patil will be leading business strategies to expand the company and increase its revenue. He will be supervising the teams based in Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru.India is the largest market for Truecaller with 60-70% of global revenue and user base.
- Flood in which river becomes the longest-lasting in over 90 years since the “Great Flood” of 1927 ?
1) Mississippi River
2) Missouri River
3) Ohio River
4) Monongahela River
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Mississippi River
Flooding in the Mississippi River is on the record for being the longest-lasting in more than 90 years since the “Great Flood” of 1927. It is due to relentless, record-breaking spring rainfall. In the month of June also, Mississippi River will continue to rise as runoff from snowmelt upstream in combination with rainfall runoff moves through the river system.Along with several parts of the river, water levels have been at flood stage for nearly 4 months. It is the longest stretch of time since the Great Flood.The reason for this drastic flood is climate change, as the planet is getting warmer which is resulting in the rise of heavy downpours.
- Tai Nicholas was in news recently, he was associated with which of the following sport ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Football
Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has recently banned Tai Nicholas, former general secretary of Oceania Football Confederation for next eight years for financial misconduct since 2015.He misappropriated money in relation to the Oceania Football Confederation’s Home of Football complex in Auckland, between 2014-17. He has been banned from football activities and fined 50,000 Swiss francs in the latest punishment for financial mishandling.He breached article 21 par. 2 of the 2012 edition of the FIFA Code of Ethics, (Bribery and corruption) and art. 20 of the 2018 edition (Offering and accepting gifts or other benefits).
- Name the only one orangutan of India, which passed away in odisha recently.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Binny
On May 29, 2019, India’s only orangutan, Binny died at Odisha’s Nandankanan Zoological Park after a prolonged illness. It was 41 years old. Since a year, she was under treatment by the experts from the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology(OUAT) under the constant advice of the Orangutan experts from UK and Singapore. She was brought from Pune’s Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on November 20, 2003, aged 25.Orangutans are one of the world’s 3 extant species of great apes found in Indonesia and Malaysia. At present, they are found only in the rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.As per experts, their life span is up to 45 years in the forests and can be survived for more years in zoos.
- Who launched the Hindi version of Oscar Academy’s publication ‘Digital Dilemma’ in New Delhi ?
1) Lois Burwell
2) Sid Ganis
3) Larry Karaszewski
4) John Bailey
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) John Bailey
The Hindi translation of an Academy Publication, Digital Dilemma, has been launched by Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences (AMPAS) aka Oscar Academy President, John Bailey, during a special event at New Delhi. The conversion of this publication into Hindi follows the MoU signed between National Film Archive of India (NFAI), the premier organization of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting involved in film conservation, preservation and restoration with the Oscar Academy in order to reach out to film fraternity in India.The Oscar Academy works towards the goal of advancing the arts and sciences of motion pictures.
- Who authored the book titled “An Autobiography of Moon”, which was released by Prof. Ashutosh Sharma in New Delhi recently ?
1) Dr. Ramesh Shishu
2) Dr. M.S.S Murthy
3) Dr. Govind Bhattacharya
4) Dr. Felix Bast
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. Ramesh Shishu
On May 29, 2019, Four popular science books published by Vigyan Prasar were released by Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary of Department of Science and Technology(DST) at Indian National Science Academy (INSA) in New Delhi.The book ‘Voyage to Antarctica’, authored by Dr. Felix Bast .The book ‘Story of Consciousness’, authored by Dr. Govind Bhattacharya.The book ‘An Autobiography of Moon’, authored by Dr. Ramesh Shishu, deals with the secrets of moon like its origin, how it changes the shape daily, why only half of it can be seen and many more things. ’Sambhu Nath De – The Discovery of Cholera Toxin’, authored by Dr. M.S.S Murthy.
- Name the book launched by former american professional basketball player, Lamar Odom that reveals the dark secrets of his life .
1) Playing It My Way
2) The Immortal Life of Lamar Odom
3) Darkness to light
4) Long Walk to Freedom
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Darkness to light
Former American professional basketball player, Lamar Odom, aged 39, launched a new book titled ‘Darkness to light’. The book reveals the dark secrets of his life. The book has been published by BenBella Books. He is the ex-husband of Khloe Kardashian, an American media personality, socialite, model, businesswoman, and entrepreneur.In his book, he has opened up about his relationship with ex-wife Khloe Kardashian, his difficult childhood, past overdoses and addictions to drugs, alcohol, and sex.
- On which date, International Everest Day was observed ?
1) May 28
2) May 29
3) May 30
4) May 27
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) May 29
66th International Everest Day was observed on May 29. On this day, Nepalese Tenzing Norgay and New Zealand’s Edmund Hillary had climbed the Mt. Everest for the first time in 1953.On this day, Himalayan Nature and Adventure Foundation (HNAF) expressed the condolences over the deaths of the Mountaineers during the mountain expeditions in this month. On this regard, an event was organized by Himalayan Nature and Adventure Foundation (HNAF) in association with the Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority ( SJDA) in front of the statue of Tenzing Norgay at Darjeeling More, West Bengal.
- What was the theme of World Digestive Health Day 2019 ?
1) Theme – “Reaching out – connect to your community”
2) Theme – “Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere”
3) Theme – “Viral Hepatitis: Lift the Global Burden”
4) Theme – “Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Theme – “Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer”
World Digestive Health Day was celebrated every year on May 29. This year the theme of the World Digestive Health Day 2019 was “Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer”. The day was celebrated by World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) in collaboration with WGO Foundation (WGOF) and the aim of the celebration was to raise awareness and provide resources and tools for gastrointestinal diseases and disorders. World Digestive Health Day was started in 2003 to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the establishment of the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO).
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Surinsar Mansar Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state ?Jammu and Kashmir
- What is the Capital and Currency of Papua New Guinea ?Capital: Port Moresby & Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
- Who is the Prime Minister of Mauritius ?Pravind Jugnauth
- Nandankanan Zoological Park is located in which state?Odisha
- Who is the director of Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO)?K Sivan