AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which colour number plates should be used by all types of electric vehicles as per the guidelines issued by central government?
4) Green Yellow
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Green
The Central government has instructed all state transport departments to mandate green number plates on all types of electric vehicles, whether brand new or used. The reason behind this move is to distinguish green vehicles for preferential treatment in parking, free entry in congested zones, and concessional toll.Allowing youngsters in the age group of 16-18 years to ride e-scooters, as they are gearless, and easy to use. ii. To direct taxi aggregators to have an incremental share of electric vehicles from 2020, this could be 1 percent of the fleet every year. iii. To set the rate of depreciation on EVs at 50% as against the 15% for conventionally powered vehicles.
- Which mountain pass has been opened for the 14th edition of Sino-Indian(China-India) border trade?
1) Mana Pass, Uttarakhand
2) Baralacha La, Himachal Pradesh
3) Nathu La in Sikkim
4) Rohtang Pass, Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Nathu La in Sikkim
The 14th edition of the annual Sino-Indian border trade opens at Nathu La, which is the frontier post at Sino-Indian border in Sikkim. Officials and traders of India and China made their presence at the border to symbolise the beginning of the border trade.Every year, between 1st May to 30th November, the bilateral border trade between 2 nations is held for 4 days a week for 6 months.After a long interval of 44 years, cross border trade commenced on July 6, 2006 to promote the benefits of trade, increase tourism in Sikkim, thus offering employment for people of the region.
- Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu has released a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of which spiritual icon?
1) Manavala Mamunigal
2) Sri Vedanta Desikan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sri Vedanta Desikan
In order to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan, Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu unveiled a postage stamp in New Delhi on May 2, 2019. The stamp has been released by Indian postal department. The releasing of commemorative postage stamps inspire the younger generation to practice humanism, peace and compassion propagated by the great saint and spiritual icon.
- Which Institute has signed MoU with Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) for setting up a Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies in India as a part of commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi?
1) IIT Kanpur
2) IIT Bombay
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Madras
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) IIT Delhi
Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India and Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi) have inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for setting up a Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies in India as a commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2 October 2019.The MoU has been signed by Principal Scientific Advisor to the Govt of India, Prof K. Vijay Raghavan and Director, IIT Delhi, Prof V. Ramgopal Rao in New Delhi.The Centre will work towards the implementation of sustainable, scientific and technological solutions for waste management by deploying available technologies for transformation of waste to wealth.The project has been approved under the recently constituted Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).Apart from this, a waste to wealth programme management centre will also be set up at IIT Delhi.
- Name the cyclone that has hit the Indian States of Odisha and West Bengal recently.
1) Cyclone Hudhud
2) Cyclone Gaja
3) Cyclone Phailin
4) Cyclone Fani
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Cyclone Fani
Cyclone Fani with a maximum wind speed of 240-250 kmph, is one of the most biggest and fiercest cyclonic storm over the east coast in nearly two decades. Several villages nearby Puri in Odisha have submerged due to heavy rains and till now at least 3 people have lost their life. Central government has released Rs 1086 crore advanced financial assistance to four states for undertaking preventive and relief measures to deal with cyclone ‘Fani’. Out of this sanctioned amount, Odisha will receive Rs 340.87 crore, West Bengal Rs 235.50 crore, Tamil Nadu Rs 309.37 crore and Andhra Pradesh will get Rs 200.25 crore. ii. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has started helpline number 1938 for Cyclone Fani. The people can call this helpline number and can ask for help from the government.
- Cyclone Fani hits Odisha and West Bengal recently, the word ‘Fani’ means ______________?
3) Heavy Storm
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Snake
Cyclone Fani with a maximum wind speed of 240-250 kmph, is one of the most biggest and fiercest cyclonic storm over the east coast in nearly two decades. The word Fani (pronounced as Foni) means snake.
- Cyclone Fani hits Odisha and West Bengal recently, which country has suggested the name ‘Fani’?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bangladesh
The name Fani was suggested by Bangladesh.The name of cyclone ‘Fani’ was picked up from a pool containing 64 names suggested by eight countries in the North Indian Ocean basin.(Eight Countries are India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan and Thailand).
- Where was the 16th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue(ACD) held recently?
1) Moscow, Russia
2) New Delhi, India
3) Doha, Qatar
4) Jakarta, Indonesia
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Doha, Qatar
Asia Cooperation Dialogue’s (ACD) 16th Ministerial Meeting was held in Doha, Qatar. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani headed the 2019 dialogue. The Indian delegation was led by Gen. (Dr) V.K. Singh (Retd), Minister of State for External Affairs. Before this, the Senior Officers’ Meeting (SOM) was held on April 30 and attended by Mr. Manish, the Joint Secretary (South).Dr. V.K. Singh, in his address, expressed his grief for the terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka (on April 21, 2019) and focussed for the global community to adopt the UN Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism (UNCCIT) efficiently.
- What was the theme of 16th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue held in Doha, Qatar?
1) “Future across the globe”
2) “Partners in Progress”
3) “Climate change & Food security”
4) “Citizen well-being & happiness”
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) “Partners in Progress”
The 16th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue held in Doha, Qatar with the theme ‘Partners in Progress’. Dr. V.K. Singh, in his address, expressed his grief for the terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka (on April 21, 2019) and focussed for the global community to adopt the UN Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism (UNCCIT) efficiently.By putting more stress on the theme “Partners in Progress”, the minister brought into limelight India’s desire to work collaboratively with all ACD Member States, in agreement with the Indian Government’s approach of “Collective Efforts, Inclusive Growth”. He emphasized the Member States in joining the International Solar Alliance that was launched in November 2015 to bring in energy security for sustainable development and poverty removal by in Asia by promoting renewable energy sources like solar and wind power.
- Name the skill development centre, launched by LIC Housing Finance Ltd (LIC HFL) in association with Lok Bharti Education Society for providing training in the sectors of BFSI, Retail and IT/ITES.
2) GET EMPOWERED
3) SKILL INDIA
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) UDYAM
As a part of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), LIC Housing Finance Ltd (LIC HFL) in association with Lok Bharti Education Society has unveiled a skilling centre named “UDYAM” in Bangalore, which will provide skill development training to marginalized youth in the sectors of BFSI, Retail and IT/ITES.Currently it has been launched in Delhi and Bangalore and later on be expanded to other cities.
- Which stock exchange was banned for 6 months owing to the Co-Location Case by the Market regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)?
1) Madras Stock Exchange
2) National Stock Exchange(NSE)
3) Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE)
4) Calcutta Stock Exchange
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) National Stock Exchange(NSE)
Market regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has banned NSE, National Stock Exchange from gaining access to the securities market for a period of 6 months. SEBI also fined NSE a sum of Rs.1,000 crore, that is, Rs. 624.89 crore and an additional 12% interest, from 1st April 2014 for NSE’s failure to exercise effective due diligence during co-location facility. The amount is to be deposited in the Investor Protection and Education Fund (IPEF).
- Name the country that become the third largest source of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India during 2017-18.
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Netherlands
The Netherlands, a country in north-western Europe, became the third largest source of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India during 2017-18, with an investment of United States Dollar (USD) 2.67 billion across all sectors. Mauritius and Singapore are the top two countries for FDI in India during 2017-18 with an investment of USD 13.41 billion and USD 9.27 billion respectively. After Singapore, the Netherlands was the second largest destination for foreign investment by Indian companies with an investment of USD 12.8 billion in 2017-18.
- Name the former chief of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), who has been conferred France’s highest civilian award “Knight of the Legion of Honour” recently.
1) Udupi Ramachandra Rao
2) Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan
3) A S Kiran Kumar
4) G.Madhavan Nair
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) A S Kiran Kumar
Former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chief, A S Kiran Kumar has been conferred France’s highest civilian award “Knight of the Legion of Honour”. This award is for his invaluable contribution to the development of the India-France space cooperation. The award has presented by Ambassador of France to India, Alexandre Ziegler, on the behalf of President of the French Republic. The Padma Shri awardee served as the ISRO chief from 2015 to 2018.
- Who was appointed as the Supreme Allied Commander Europe of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization(NATO)?
1) Tod D. Wolters
2) Jens Stoltenberg
3) Stuart Peach
4) Général André Lanata
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Tod D. Wolters
Tod D. Wolters, the former pilot, who has served in Afghanistan and Iraq, has been declared as the Supreme Allied Commander Europe during the ceremony at NATO‘s (The North Atlantic Treaty Organization) military headquarters in Mons, southern Belgium. This is one of the most challenging and extremely important military positions in the world. US Air Force General Tod D. Wolters who is supposed to run for a tenure of 2 to 3 years, was preceded by U.S. Army General, Curtis M. Scaparrotti.Wolters will also be the commander of U.S. forces in Europe across more than 19 million square miles.
- Name the giant asteroid which will fly past Earth on April 13, 2029.
1) 101955 Bennu
2) 4179 Toutatis
3) 99942 Apophis
4) 2062 Aten
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 99942 Apophis
The 340m wide asteroid named 99942 Apophis will fly past Earth like a ‘moving star- like point of light’ on April 13, 2029. It will fly above the earth’s surface at 30,500 km and first become visible with a naked eye in the night sky over the Southern Hemisphere from the east coast to the west coast of Australia.In 2004, astronomers at the Kitt Peak National Observatory based in Arizona discovered Apophis and claims about the chance of 2.7% that asteroid may impact Earth in 2029. However, further observation ruled out that chance but Apophis still has a small chance of impacting Earth which is less than 1 in 100,00- many decades from now.
- 8th edition of Asian Youth Women Handball Championship 2019 is scheduled to be held in which city?
1) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) Kolkata, WestBengal
4) Jaipur, Rajasthan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Jaipur, Rajasthan
The 8th edition Asian Youth Women Handball Championship 2019 will be held in Jaipur, Rajasthan from August 21 to 30. This is the first time Jaipur will host this prestigious tournament. Earlier in 2015, Delhi hosted the event and finished at seventh place. This event will be organised by Asian Handball Federation (AHF).In this event, total 10 teams will participate including defending champion South Korea.Till now seven edition of this event had been held and all the seven time South Korea became victorious. The 7th edition was held in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2017 and South Korea was the champion while Japan and China had finished second and third place respectively.
- Name the Indian wrestler, who won the Ali Aliev Wrestling Tournament, that held in Kaspiysk in Dagestan, Russia.
1) Sushil Kumar
2) Bajrang Punia
3) Yogeshwar Dutt
4) Jeet Rama
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bajrang Punia
A 25-year old, Bajrang Punia won a gold medal at Ali Aliev Tournament, held at Kaspiysk in Dagestan, Russia. He defeated Russian wrestler Viktor Rassadin in 65-kg category by 13-8. This was his second gold medal in the last 10 days. Last week, Punia won a gold medal in the 65-kg category at the Asian Championship in Xi’an, China. Bajrang Punia won prize money of around USD 7,700. He currently holds the world No. 1 rank in the 65kg freestyle category.
- Xavi Hernandez recently announced retirement from which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Football
39 years old, Barcelona Midfielder, Xavi Hernandez, has announced his retirement from football by the end of the season 2018-19. He currently plays for Al-Sadd in Qatar. After the 2014 World Cup, he announced his retirement from international football. i. He was the part of the 2010 FIFA World Cup held in South Africa, in which Spain won the tournament for the first time.Other Awards received by him: He won La Liga Midfielder of the Year in the year 2009, 2010, 2011. He won La Liga Spanish Player of the Year in the year 2005. He won La Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year in the year 1999. He was placed in third place in Ballon d’Or/FIFA Ballon d’Or in the year 2009, 2010, 2011. He also won six-time Copa Catalunya and one-time Catalunya Super Cup winner.
- Name the deceased American actor, who was well known for his character ‘Chewbacca’ in Star Wars films .
1) Peter Mayhew
2) Cory Monteith
3) Ryan Dunn
4) Corey Haim
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Peter Mayhew
Actor Peter Mayhew, well known for portraying Chewbacca the Wookiee in the Star Wars films, has died at the age of 74 at his home in North Texas, U.S. He was born on 19 May 1944 in Barnes, London.He starred in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, episode 3 of the prequels, later he reprised his famous role in 2005’s Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens in 2015, even though he has some health complications. He also wrote two books titled “Growing Up Giant” and “My Favorite Giant”.
- V Viswanatha Menon, passed away recently, he belonged to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Politician
Communist Party of India (Marxist) leader and former finance minister, V Viswanatha Menon Passed away at the age of 92 in Kochi, Kerala. He was popularly known as “Ambadi Viswam”. He was born in Ernakulam, Kerala.He served as the Finance Minister in 1987 during the Left Democratic Front government led by E.K. Nayanar.He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1967 and was also a member of Rajya Sabha from 1974 to 1980. He was elected to Kerala Legislative Assembly in 1987 from Thrippunithura constituency.He has presented five state budgets and also holds the record for delivering the longest budget speech of two hours and 35 minutes.
- International Energy Day is observed annually on ___________?
1) May 3rd
2) May 1st
3) April 30th
4) May 2nd
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) May 3rd
3rd May is observed worldwide as International Energy Day by The International Energy Agency (IEA).IEA is an autonomous inter-governmental organization based in Paris. It was founded in the framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in 1974 after the 1973 oil crisis.The agency works as a policy adviser to its member states and also works with non-member nations like China, India, and Russia.IEA’s main focus lies in the “3Es” of effective energy policy: • energy security • economic development • environmental protection- with a focus on curbing climate change.The IEA also promotes usage of renewable energy instead of non-renewable energy, rational energy policies, and co-operation of multinational energy technology.
- What was the theme of World Press Freedom Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law”
2) Theme – “The Media and Armed Conflict”
3) Theme – “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation”
4) Theme – “Celebrating the fundamental principles of press freedom”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation”
World Press Freedom Day is observed annually on May 3 to raise awareness among the international community that freedom of the press and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights. This day also pay tribute to media professionals who risked or lost their lives in the line of duty. This year marked the 26th celebration of World Press Freedom Day which was observed with a theme “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation”.The day was initiated by the UN General Assembly in December 1993 after the recommendation of 26th UNESCO’s General Conference in 1991 which led to the adoption of Declaration of Windhoek.
- When was the National Space Day 2019 observed?
1) May 2nd
2) May 1st
3) April 30th
4) May 3rd
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) May 3rd
National Space Day is observed on the first Friday of May every year. This year first Friday of May coincide with May 3, so science community celebrates this day to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education in young people and to inspire them to pursue a carrier in space-related jobs. In 1997, Space Day was created by the Lockheed Martin Corporation as a one day event. The main objective is to observe the many wonders of the unknown space that our planets float and also to encourage children to have more interest in scientific study.In 2001, Senator John Glenn, former astronaut, expanded the Space Day as International Space Day so that scientific community can celebrate this day worldwide.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) located?Geneva, Switzerland
- What is the Capital and Currency of Qatar?Capital: Doha & Currency: Qatari Riyal
- Where is the headquarter of LIC Housing Finance Ltd (LIC HFL) located?Maharashtra
- Where is the headquarter of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) located?Haren, Brussels, Belgium
- Who is the Director of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?K. Sivan