AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where was the 72nd session of the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s World Health Assembly held ?
1) Beijing, China
2) Geneva, Switzerland
3) Washington D.C.,U.S
4) Jakarta, Indonesia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Geneva, Switzerland
The 72nd session of the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s World Health Assembly held in Geneva, Switzerland from May 20 to 28, 2019. The World Health Assembly was attended by delegations from all 194 World Health Organisation (WHO) Member states. The main focus of the session is on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board.
- What was the theme of the 72nd session of the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s World Health Assembly ?
1) Theme – “Media Solutions for Sustainable Future: Saving Lives, Building Resilient Communities”
2) Theme – “Belt and Road Cooperation: Shaping a Brighter Shared Future”
3) Theme – “Universal Health Coverage: Leaving no one behind”
4) Theme – “Harnessing the power of technology in Healthcare”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Universal Health Coverage: Leaving no one behind”
The theme of this year is “Universal Health Coverage: Leaving no one behind”. WHO appointed four new goodwill ambassadors for promoting global health. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf – He was former President of Liberia. Cynthia Germanotaa – She is President of “Born This Way Foundation” Alisson Becker – He is the goalkeeper of the Brazilian and Liverpool football team Natalia Loewe Becker – She is a medical doctor and health advocate from Brazil.
- Which country topped the World Competitiveness Rankings 2019 released by IMD (Institute for Management Development)?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Singapore
Singapore topped the 2019 edition of the IMD (Institute for Management Development) World Competitiveness Rankings.US ranked 3rd in the rankings. The improvement of India’s rank was the result of its robust economic growth, large labour force, and its huge market size.
Rank Country 1st Singapore 2nd Hong Kong SAR 3rd US 4th Switzerland 5th UAE
- What is the rank of India in by IMD (Institute for Management Development)’s World Competitiveness Rankings 2019 ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 43rd
India has improved its rank by one place to rank 43rd most competitive economy in the world and Singapore topped the chart by toppling the US from the first position, now US ranked 3rd in the rankings. The improvement of India’s rank was the result of its robust economic growth, large labour force, and its huge market size.
- Which of the following countries signed a Tripartite Pact with Sri Lanka to develop “East Container Terminal(ECT)” in the Port of Colombo ?
1) Option i & ii
2) Option i & iii
3) Option i & iv
4) Option ii & iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option i & iii
On May 28, 2019, India, Japan signed a Tripartite Pact with Sri Lanka to develop “East Container Terminal (ECT)” in the Port of Colombo. The Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) was signed in Colombo, Sri Lanka by Sri Lankan port minister Sagala Ratnayake, Indian high commissioner to Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu and a Japanese representative.As per the agreement, Sri Lanka Port Authority (SLPA) will hold a majority stake of 51% in the port development whereas Japan and India will hold a combined stake of 49%.
- What is the new time limit of Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) for customer transactions from earlier 4.30 P.M, revised by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) recently ?
1) 6 P.M.
2) 5 P.M.
3) 4 P.M.
4) 7 P.M.
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 6 P.M
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the time window of Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) for customer transactions from 4.30 pm to 6 pm. The move has been taken due to the increase in the number of transactions by 8% to Rs 1,335 crore in March 2019. There has been 12% rise in an aggregate amount of transactions, year-on-year, which amounted to Rs 1,255.51 crore. It will come into effect from June 1.
- Under which articles, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the time limit of Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) for customer transactions ?
1) Section 18 of Transfer of Funds Act
2) Section 18 of Limitation Act
3) Section 18 of Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007
4) Section 18 of Reserve Bank (Transfer of Public Ownership) Act
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Section 18 of Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007
The timing has been changed under Section 10 (2) read with Section 18 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007 (Act 51 of 2007).The Charges for transactions in RTGS from 1 pm to 6 pm shall be Rs 5 per outward transaction. After 6 pm, these charges will be Rs 10. There are NIL charges for transaction between 8 am to 11 am then from 11 am to 1 pm it charges Rs 2.
- Which public sector bank has introduced a mobile van facility named “Bank on Wheels” to provide door-step banking facility, especially for senior citizens ?
1) Canara Bank of India
2) State Bank of India
3) Bank of Baroda
4) Indian Overseas Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Indian Overseas Bank
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has launched a mobile van facility named “Bank on Wheels” in 14 districts of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Vijayawada region of Andhra Pradesh to provide door-step banking facility, especially for senior citizens. The van will be accompanied by banking correspondent with a micro ATM inside to take care of services such as account opening, enrollment of customers in Social Security Scheme, passbook printing, and other financial inclusion activities.
- Which entity has signed an MOU with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for the year 2019-20 to provide enhanced services ?
1) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD)
2) National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC)
3) Small Industries Development Bank of India(SIDBI)
4) Khadi and Village Industries Commission(KVIC)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC)
The National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) inked Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for the year 2019-20 to provide enhanced services. The MoU was signed in the presence of National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD); Additional Secretary of MSME, Ram Mohan Mishra and MSME Secretary Arun Kumar Panda.It aimed at enhanced services by NSIC under its marketing, financial, technology and other support services schemes for MSMEs in the country.
- Which of the following country is removed from the United State’s currency monitoring list along with Switzerland ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) India
US Government has removed India and Switzerland from its currency monitoring list. The monitoring list includes countries with potentially “questionable” foreign exchange policies and practices currency manipulation. It is prepared by the US Treasury Department and it urged the Asian nations to take necessary steps to avoid a “persistently weak currency”. The Criterion: Countries with a current-account surplus equivalent to 2% of the Gross Domestic Product(GDP) are eligible for the list, according to modifications made in the new list, down from 3% earlier. Other thresholds include repeated intervention in the currency markets and a trade surplus with the US of at least $20 billion.
- Which Indian State, is now permitted to export fruits and vegetables to Saudi Arabia?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kerala
Saudi Arabia has lifted export ban on fruits and vegetables from Kerala. In June 2018, the ban was imposed due to the outbreak of Nipah virus.Saudi Arabian authorities had communicated this information to the state in the second week of May and it has led to the commencement of direct exports from the 3 airports.Kozhikode airport exports 20 tonnes of fruits and vegetables per day worth $50,000 to various destinations in Saudi. Other 2 airports of Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram export the items to Dammam, Riyadh and Jeddah airports.The major items of export at present are mangoes such as Alphonso, Banganapalle, followed by banana and pineapple.Kerala exports around 150 tonnes of perishable commodities to Gulf countries. It alone exports 30-40 tonnes to Saudi Arabia.
- Who were all the part of India’s first all women crew to fly a medium lift helicopter Mi-17 V5 ?
i. Parul Bhardwaj
ii. Aman Nidhi
iii. Hina Jaiswal
iv. Kara Hultgreen
1) Option i,ii & iii
2) Option i,ii
3) Option ii,iii.iv
4) Option I,ii,iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Option i,ii & iii
Three women officers of Indian Air Force were part of India’s first all-women crew to fly a medium-lift helicopter Mi-17 V5. Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj (Captain), Flying Officer Aman Nidhi (co-pilot) and Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal (Flight Engineer) were three women IAF officers flew the chopper, which took off from a forward air base in South Western air command. Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj became the first woman pilot to fly the Mi-17 V5. Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal became the first woman flight engineer of the IAF.Flying officer Aman Nidhi from Jharkhand also became the first woman IAF pilot from the state.
- Who was conferred with ‘Lifetime Recognition Award’ by the Confederation of Horticulture Association of India on 28th May, 2019 ?
2) N Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) N Kumar
On May 28, 2019, Professor N Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) was conferred with ‘Lifetime Recognition Award’ by the Confederation of Horticulture Association of India (CHAI). He was awarded for his contributions to the field of horticulture and academic leadership focused on human resource development in agriculture.It was presented to him at the International Conference on Innovative horticulture held at Pantnagar, Uttarakhand.
- Who sworn in as the chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh for a second term ?
1) Bhupesh Baghel
2) Sarbanda Sonowal
3) Nabam Tuki
4) Pema Khandu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Pema Khandu
On May 29, 2019, Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) leader Pema Khandu was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh for a second term. Governor Brig(Retd) B D Mishra with 11 Cabinet Ministers administered the oath-taking ceremony at the Dorjee Khandu Convention Centre, Itanagar. He becomes the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. He had secured 41 seats in the 60-member Assembly in the elections held simultaneously with the Lok Sabha elections on April 11, 2019. Congress won 4 seats and Bihar’s Nitish Kumar’s Janata Dal-United (JDU) party won 7 seats.Chief Ministers of Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya had attended the swearing in ceremony.
- Juan Carlos I, former Monarch retired recently, he belongs to which country ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Spain
5 years after the abdication of the throne, Spanish former monarch Juan Carlos I, aged 81, will be retiring from public life on June 2, 2019. This was mentioned in a letter addressed to his son King Felipe VI, the current monarch on Spanish royals’ website. In 2018, he was honored in the Spanish Parliament.The day also coincided with the 40th anniversary of Spanish Constitution(Adopted in 1978), which marked Spain’s transition from dictatorship to democratic rule.
- Naveen Patnaik sworn in as chief minister of which state ?
3) Andhra Pradesh
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Odisha
On May 29, 2019, President of Biju Janata Dal, Naveen Patnaik, aged 72, was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Odisha for the fifth term. He is the longest-serving chief minister of the state. The oath-taking ceremony was administered by the Governor Prof. Ganeshi Lal at the Exhibition Ground in Bhubaneswar. Along with the Chief Minister, 20 new councils of Ministers were also sworn in. There were 10 new members to the council including 2 women.He had secured 112 seats in the 146 Assembly Seats in the elections held simultaneously with the Lok Sabha elections. BJP won 23 seats and Congress won 9 seats.
- Scott Morrison sworn in as ______ Prime Minister of Australia ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 30th
Scott Morrison from Liberal Party has sworn in as 30th Prime Minister of Australia after retaining the position in the country’s general election. Other members include Deputy PM Michael McCormack, Australia’s first Aboriginal federal cabinet minister, Ken Wyatt also sworn alongside with Scott Morrison at a ceremony in the Canberra. He replaced Malcolm Turnbull as chief of the ruling Liberal Party.
- Who sworn in as the president of Nigeria for the second term ?
1) Goodluck Jonathan
2) Olusegun Obasanjo
3) Yemi Osinbajo
4) Muhammadu Buhari
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Muhammadu Buhari
Nigerian incumbent president, Muhammadu Buhari (76), won his re-election bid against his rival Atiku Abubakar of Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) by over 3 million votes.He belongs to All Progressives Congress (APC) Party. He won 56% of the votes cast. He was in power since 2015.He earlier served as the army general who led a tough military government in the 1980s.Yemi Osinbajo was also sworn in as Vice President of Nigeria.
- To which country, Abhay Kumar was appointed as the Ambassador of India ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Comoros
Ambassador of India to Madagascar, Abhay Kumar(IFS-2003), has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Union of Comoros. Comoros a strategically located country in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa is also a member of OIC (Organisation of Islamic Cooperation).Comoros has ratified International Solar Alliance (ISA) treaty in the year 2017.
- Who resigned as the Independent Director from the IL&FS Securities Services Ltd(ISSL) ?
1) Venkataraman Janakiraman
2) Harukazu Yamaguchi
3) Kiyokazu Ishinabe
4) Murray Stahl
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Venkataraman Janakiraman
On May 24, 2019, the Independent Director of IL&FS (Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services) Securities Services Ltd (ISSL), Venkataraman Janakiraman resigned from the post citing personal reasons. He was also the head of the risk management committee at ISSL and served the concern for more than 10 years.He has also resigned from the post of independent director of ISSL Settlement & Transaction Services Ltd.The resignation was submitted by him when the scrutiny of the roles of the compliance team and independent directors of the organization was undertaken.
- In which ocean the researchers from the University of Chicago have discovered the remnants of seawater of the Ice Age from the rock formations ?
1) Arctic Ocean
2) Indian Ocean
3) Atlantic Ocean
4) Pacific Ocean
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Indian Ocean
Researchers from the University of Chicago, have discovered the remnants of seawater of the Ice Age from the rock formations in the middle of the Indian Ocean while exploring the limestone deposits that form the Maldives. It was published in the Journal Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.They were found using the ship JOIDES Resolution.The seawater from the ice age is back salty- much saltier than the normal water. It was found to be 20,000 years older.Scientists are interested in reconstructing the last Ice Age because the patterns that drove its circulation, climate and weather are different. Understanding these will help to know how the planet’s climate will react in the future.
- Name the Padma Shri & Sahitya Akademi Awardee, who author the book on Naxal movement in West Bengal in the year 1978, which was now translated to english by Paulami Sengupta, Tias Basu along with the author.
1) Vikram Seth
2) Salman Rushdie
3) Arundhati Roy
4) Nabaneeta Dev Sen
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Nabaneeta Dev Sen
Nabaneeta Dev Sen’s book on Naxal movement in West Bengal which was first published in Bengali in 1978, is published in English. It is translated from Bengali to English by Paulami Sengupta, Tias Basu and the author. It is published by Niyogi Books’ imprint Thornbird.The book describes the conflicts between integrity and expediency and the important character of the novel is Anupam Roy, a newspaper columnist, commentator and an academician.Nabaneeta Dev Sen is an award-winning Indian poet, novelist and academic. She is the recipient of Padma Shri Award(2000), Sahitya Akademi Award(1999) and Kamal Kumari National Award(2004).
- What was the theme of the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers 2019?
1) Theme – “Investing in Peace Around the World”
2) Theme – “70 Years of Service and Sacrifice”
3) Theme – “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”
4) Theme – “Honouring our Heroes”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”
International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers was celebrated on May 29. This day was adopted by the UN General Assembly in its resolution 57/129. The theme for this year’ is “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”. The theme of 2019 marks the upcoming 20th anniversary when for the first time the Security Council explicitly mandated a peacekeeping mission (UNAMSIL- United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone) to protect civilians.The day was first celebrated on May 29, 1948 to pay tribute to the 3700 uniformed and civil personnel who lost their lives upholding peace.
- Whose birth anniversary is celebrated on May 28 to commemorate the sacrifices made by him during the freedom struggle ?
1) Veer Savarkar aka Vinayak Damodar Savarkar
2) Tirot Sing
3) Alluri Sitarama Raju
4) Mangal Pandey
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Veer Savarkar aka Vinayak Damodar Savarkar
The birth anniversary of Veer Savarkar aka Vinayak Damodar Savarkar was observed on May 28 annually to commemorate the sacrifices made by him during the freedom struggle. He was born on May 28, 1883 in Bhagpur village near Nasik in Maharashtra. He was a freedom fighter who called 1857 revolt as the first war of independence. He has written “Joseph Mazzini- Biography and Politics”. He has published “The Indian War of Independence” about Indian rebellion of 1857. He also founded the two-nation theory in his book “Hindutva” calling Hindus and Muslims two separate nations.He was sentenced to 50 years and was sent to the Cellular Jail in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in 1911. He was released in 1921. In 2002, in his honour, airport at Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar’s capital was renamed as Veer Savarkar International Airport.
- What was the theme of the World Hunger Day 2019 ?
1) Theme – “#Our Actions are our Future”
2) Theme – “#SustainabilityIs”
3) Theme – “#Agricultural Cooperatives”
4) Theme – “#Change the future of migration”
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Theme – “#SustainabilityIs”
The 9th annual World Hunger Day was observed on May 28, 2019, with a theme of “#SustainabilityIs”. World Hunger Day is an initiative by The Hunger Project, first started in 2011. The objective is to raise awareness about more than 821 million people living in chronic hunger worldwide. It seeks to celebrate sustainable solutions to hunger and poverty and to inspire everyone to be a part of the solution.The Hunger project used an innovative, holistic approach that tackles all the issues of poverty and hunger and also empowers those people who are living in hunger so that they can become the agents of their own development and lift their communities above the poverty line.Out of the total 821 million people living in chronic hunger, 60 percent of them are women.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the director general of World Health Organization(WHO)?Tedros Adhanom
- What is the tagline of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) ?Good people to grow with
- National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) works under which ministry?Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- Mouling National Park is located in which state?Arunanchal Pradesh
- Where is the headquarters of United Nations?New York, USA