AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 29 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said that, the Government has announced funds of ____ to set up “Brahmaputra Study Centre” at Gauhati University, Guwahati?
1.Rs. 28 crore
2.Rs. 35 crore
3.Rs. 45 crore
4.Rs. 18 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs. 28 crore
Funds of Rs. 28 crore will be offered by the Ministry of DoNER for establishing the ‘Brahmaputra Study Centre’. The Gauhati University will offer land within the campus to develop a separate block for the Brahmaputra Study Centre. This Study Centre will offer research on various aspects of river Brahmaputra in physics, hydrology, waterways, environment, disaster and flood management, hydro-power production etc.
- Name the resource portal that will be inaugurated by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on 31st May 2018 to make the classrooms hi-tech in Kerala?
1.Shiksha Resource Portal
2.Samagra Resource Portal
3.School Resource Portal
4.Students Resource Portal
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Samagra Resource Portal
More than 40,000 classrooms in Kerala will be made hi-tech by June 2018, through the Samagra Resource Portal and mobile app. The Samagra Resource Portal and mobile app are developed by the Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education. Samagra differs from conventional educational portals. It is designed to make sure that all learning objectives are transacted through lesson plans as specified in the curriculum. Also, it offers digital textbooks, question banks and e-resources. These are available for everyone, even without the need to log in.
- On 29th May 2018, Union Cabinet Minister of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprise (HI & PE), Anant Geete inaugurated the augmented facilities at the National Automotive Testing and RND Infrastructure Project (NATRIP) at the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) at Manesar in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Haryana
The augmented facilities are as follows:
• Noise, Vibration & Harshness Lab (NVH)
• Passive Safety Lab (PSL)
• Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Lab
• Tyre Test Lab (TTL)
Already the centre has fully functional facilities like Powertrain lab, Fatigue lab, Vehicle Evaluation lab, Component lab, CAD-CAE lab and Infotronics lab. Since 2006, ICAT has been providing automotive testing and certification services to the industry.
- On May 29,2018, Secretary to the Ministry of AYUSH, Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha announced that the main event of the 4th International Yoga Day celebrations will be organized in ____?
2.Kolkata, West Bengal
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Dehradun, Uttarakhand
On May 29,2018, Secretary to the Ministry of AYUSH, Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha announced that the main event of the 4th International Yoga Day celebrations will be organized in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. It will be the venue for Mass Yoga Demonstration. The Government of Uttarakhand is making arrangements for the main event.
- On May 28,2018, joint Indo-Bangladesh Army Trekking Expedition to Nanda Devi started from which city?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.New Delhi
On May 28,2018, joint Indo-Bangladesh Army Trekking Expedition to Nanda Devi has started from New Delhi. This joint expedition will further strengthen the relatioons of the two concerned countries . The team has a 16-member Indian Armyteam and a 10-member Bangladesh Army team. Mt Nanda Devi east base camp is located 4300m from the sea level and has a very challenging trekking route.
- On May 29,2018, which state government announced ‘Reuse of Treated Waste Water Policy’?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Gujarat
The policy is called : ‘Reuse of Treated Waste Water Policy’. Setting up of161 Sewage treatment Plants (STP) in all major towns in Gujrat for non-drinking purposes. The treated water would be used in industrial units, thermal power plants, gardening, and in the construction sectors. Presently , around 2600 million litres per day(MLD) waste water is being treated by the 52 STPs in the state.
- On 28th May 2018, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) launched the ‘Gaj Yatra’ from Tura, a town in Garo Hills of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Meghalaya
In 2014, villagers in Garo Hills offered a part of their community-owned land to develop village reserve forests for the passage of elephants. To honour this effort the Gaj Yatra has been launched. The Gaj Yatra aims to secure 100 elephant corridors in India. Four of such corridors are in Meghalaya. As a part of the event, an elephant mascot is carried across districts where elephants cross frequently to create awareness among the people.
- On 29th May 2018, Bihar Cabinet approved the setting up of a Fisheries College at Kishanganj at a cost of ____?
1.Rs 70 crore
2.Rs 40.31 crore
3.Rs 80.71 crore
4.Rs 45.56 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 40.31 crore
The cabinet meeting was chaired by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. It approved the creation of academic and administrative posts other than development of infrastructure of the College at a cost of Rs 40.31 crore in 2018-19 financial year. It also approved creation of 88 new posts in Transplant and Nephrology departments of Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) for starting the kidney transplant facility there.
- On May 28,2018, where was the 2nd meeting of SCO-Afghanistan Contact Group Meeting held?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Beijing, China
The Indian Delegation was headed by Additional Secretary (Multilateral Diplomacy ) Gitesh Sharma . India focused on security challenges on the borders of Afghanistan and offered support to peace made by the President of Afghanistan. India also focused on the socio-economic development of the afghan people and ensured greater connectivity with Afghanistan. Bilateral talks of India with China, Tajikistan, Russia, Afghanistan were also held.
- On 29th May 2018, which country inaugurated a pipeline that will eventually create the first direct route to transport gas from one of the world’s largest fields to Europe bypassing Russia?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Azerbaijan
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turned on the taps at Sangachal Terminal. The Sangachal Terminal is located nearly 55 kilometres southwest of Azerbaijan’s capital Baku. This pipeline will eventually create the first direct route to transport gas from one of the world’s largest fields to Europe bypassing Russia. The project is worth USD 40-billion. It consists of three linked pipelines that will bring gas from Azerbaijani Shah Deniz 2 field across Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Albania and the Adriatic Sea to southern Italy.
- On 29th May 2018, an agreement for IBRD Credit of _____ from World Bank for the Strengthening of Public Financial Management in Rajasthan Project was signed in New Delhi?
1.USD 21.7 Million
2.USD 54.12 Million
3.USD 25.7 Million
4.USD 45.7 Million
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.USD 21.7 Million
The agreement was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Joint Secretary (FB and ADB), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance on behalf of Indian Government and Mr. Hisham Abdo, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India) on behalf of the World Bank. The Implementing Entity Agreement was signed by the Secretary, Finance (Budget) on behalf of Rajasthan Government, and the Acting Country Director (India) on behalf of the World Bank. Project size: is nearly USD 31 million. Out of this USD 21.7 million will be funded by the World Bank. Rest of the amount will be funded-out of the State Budget.
- IFFCO and Indian Potash Ltd (IPL) have acquired 37 % stake in JPMC (Jordan Phosphate Mines Company) for Rs 900 crore. Expand IFFCO?
1.Indian Farmers and Fertiliser Council
2.International Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative
3.Indian Farmers Fertiliser Committee
4.Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative
The shares were bought from Kamil Holdings, owned by Brunei Investment Agency. It is the largest shareholder in Jordan Phosphate Mines Company (JPMC). IPL has bought 27 % stake. IFFCO through its subsidiary Kisan International Trading (KIT) has bought 10 % in JPMC.
- On May 29,2018, The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC ) chaired by ____ approved of the acquisition of defence equipment for Army and the Air Force under ‘BUY(Indian) IDDM’ ?
4.Birendra Singh Dhanoa
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Nirmala Sitharaman
This procurement amounts to a value of Rs. 6900 crore. procurement of : Thermal Imaging (TI)for 84mm Rocket Launcher for the Indian Army will help to engage and detect any movements at night under ‘Buy Indian-IDDM’ . procurement of : Long Range Dual Band Infrared Imaging Search and Track System (IRST) for SU-30 MKI aircraft under Make ‘II’ subcategory of ‘Buy (Indian-IDDM)’ for atleast 100 IRSTs.
- On May 29,2018, who was named the International Cricketer of the year at CEAT Chricket Ratings?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Virat Kohli
Shikhar Dhawan has been awarded International Batsman of the Year .
New Zealand player Trent Boult named International Bowler of the Year .
T20 Bowler of the Year ward was given to : Rashid Khan from Afghanistan.
T20 Batsman of the Year award : Colin Munroof New Zealand.
Outstanding Innings of the year award : Harmanpreet Kaur.
Domestic Player of the Year award : Mayank Agarwal.
U19 Player of the Year award : Shubhman Gill.
Popular Choice award : Chris Gayle.
Lifetime Achievement Award : Farokh Engineer.
- Name the person who was appointed as the president of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC), on 28th May 2018?
1.Justice R K Agrawal
2.Justice P K Singh
3.Justice Jai Vishnu Kumar
4.Justice Ananth Kumar
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice R K Agrawal
Justice R K Agrawal retired as Supreme Court judge recently. He will replace Justice D K Jain. D K Jain’s term ends on 31st May 2018. NCDRC was formed in 1988. It was set up to decide on consumers’ complaints.
- On 29th May 2018, who was sworn-in as the 18th governor of Mizoram at the Durbar hall of Raj Bhavan, Mizoram?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Kummanam Rajasekharan
The oath of office to Kummanam Rajasekharan was administered in the presence of Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla. Kummanam Rajasekharan joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) as an activist in the 1970s. He became the president of Kerala BJP unit in 2015.
- On May 29,2018, Government of India announced that Defence Secretary ____ has been given Additional charge of DRDO?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Sanjay Mitra
On May 29,2018, Government of India announced that Defence Secretary Sanjay Mitra has been given Additional charge of DRDO . The current DRDO chief is S. Christopher and will retire after the extended one year tenure in 2018. The DRDO chief and Scientific Advisor post was held by one person until 2015 when government bifurcated these two to individual post.
- On May 29,2018, who was named the first woman President of Paraguay?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Alicia Pucheta
On May 29,2018, Alicia Pucheta (68) has been named as the first woman President of Paraguay. She has been named the interim president after the current President Mr. Horacio Cartes steps down and before Mr. Mario Abdo ( The newly elected president )starts his tenure for 5 years. She is currently acting as the Vice President of the country. She is a lawyer by profession and is a part of right wing Colorado Party.
- On May 29,2018, ____ was appointed Aurangabad Police Commissioner?
1.P C Rao
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Chiranjeev Prasad
On May 29,2018, a 1996 batch IPS officer , Chiranjeev Prasad was appointed Aurangabad Police Commissioner. He succeeded former full time police chief Yashaswi Yadav. Mr Prasad was a Inspector General of Nanded Range .
- On May 29,2018, who was appointed as the President of the Indian Journalists Union (IJU)?
3.Mr. S N Sinha
4.K Sreenivas Reddy
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Amar Devulapalli
Devulapalli is a Hyderabad based journalist who is the consulting editor of Shakshi daily. Indrajit is a senior journalist in Delhi and works as the Associate Editor of Indian News and Features Agency (INFA). They would be replacing former President Mr. S N Sinha and former Secretary –General K Sreenivas Reddy.
- On 28th May 2018, former Bihar minister ____ died after a long term illness in Patna, Bihar?
2.Kunwar Lal Paswan
3.Ram Mohan Roy
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kameshwar Paswan
Kameshwar Paswan was 77 years old. He started his political career representing Fatuha Assembly constituency. He was elected from the seat for two times in 1970s. He was a minister between 1977 and 1979. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1990.
- What was the theme for International Day of UN Peacekeepers that was celebrated on May 29,2018?
1.70 Years of Service and Sacrifice
2.Honour the Sacrifice of the Martyrs
3.Service and Sacrifice: Life of Peace Keepers
4.Honour the life of Peace Keepers
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.70 Years of Service and Sacrifice
On May 29,2018, International Day of UN Peacekeepers is celebrated each year. Theme of 2018 International Day of UN Peacekeepers is : 70 Years of Service and Sacrifice. It is observed internationally to pay tribute to the 3700 uniformed and civil personnel ho lost their lives upholding peace. This was celebrated since 1948. UN Headquarters: New York, US.
- On 29th May 2018, who was appointed as the New South Wales cricket coach?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Phil Jaques
Former Australian Test opener Phil Jaques was appointed New South Wales cricket coach after Trent Johnston was sacked following a disappointing 2017-18 season. Jaques, 39, scored three centuries in 11 Tests before a debilitating back injury ended his international career.
- Name the person who has been appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Pankaj Saran
Senior diplomat Pankaj Saran has been appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor, the government said today. Saran is currently India’s Ambassador to Russia. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Saran’s appointment as the deputy NSA for a period of two years, on deputation basis initially till the date of his superannuation, i.e., November 30, 2018, then on re-employment on contract basis.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the President and headquarters of World Bank?President – Jim Yong Kim, Headquarters – Washington, D.C., U.S.
- Where is Pampadum Shola National Park located?Kerala
- Where is the headquarters of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation(SCO)?Beijing, China
- Where is Elephanta caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located?Maharashtra
- Who is the National Security Adviser of India?Ajit Doval