AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- For whom the sahara hostel has been inaugurated by Anij Baijal in NewDelhi ?
1) Disabled Childrens
2) Disabled Military Personnel
3) ‘Naval Widows’ or ‘Veer Naris’
4) Retired Military Personnel
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) ‘Naval Widows’ or ‘Veer Naris’
Anij Baijal, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi has inaugurated Sahara Hostel for ‘Naval Widows’ or ‘Veer Naris’ at Vasant Kunj in New Delhi. The objective is to provide rehabilitation of Naval Widows or Veer Naris and their families at a time after the unfortunate demise of their husband who were serving Indian Navy.This is a unique project steered by the Indian Navy and has been built with the help of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) partnership with National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC).The Hostel built over four floors and also has a common dining table and community hall.
- Where was India’s first Tree Ambulance inaugurated ?
1) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2) Kolkata, West Bengal
3) Bengaluru, Karnataka
4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
On the occasion of International Day for Biological Diversity i.e. on May 22, a first of its kind, tree ambulance was inaugurated in Chennai, Tamil Nadu by Vice President of India, Venkaiah Naidu.Services provided by Tree Ambulance first-aid treatment are uprooted tree planting, seed bank, seed ball distribution, plant distribution, aiding tree plantation, shifting trees, a survey of trees and removal of dead trees.
- Name the Green man of India, who proposed the new initiative of India’s first Tree Ambulance in Chennai, Tamil Nadu .
1) Sunitha Krishnan
2) Dr K Abdul Ghani
3) Medha Patkar
4) Sunderlal Bahuguna
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr K Abdul Ghani
The initiative was proposed by Green man of India, Dr K Abdul Ghani and it is sponsored by the SASA Group. The ambulance can be availed through the number 9941006786 and volunteers can register on www.treeambulance.org. The reallocation of trees will be done free of cost.The ambulance has helpers and a plant expert, who carry gardening tools, water, manure, and pesticide with them.
- How many state was penalised with Rs.1 Crore for not submitting their action plans on plastic disposal to the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) recently ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 25
25 state governments faced Rs. 1 crore each penalty for missing deadline for not submitting their action plans on plastic disposal to the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). The National Green Tribunal(NGT) had set a deadline as April 30, 2019.The NGT had directed all states and Union territories except Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim, West Bengal and Puducherry to submit an action plan for implementation of various provisions of Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules 2016 by April 30, 2019. The 22 states/Uts are – Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Daman and Diu, Dadra Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Lakshadweep, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, UP and Uttarakhand had imposed complete ban on use of plastic carry bags but due to lack of proper regulation, thin carry bags and other plastic products were stocked, sold and used in majority of cities/towns across the country.
- Where was the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) inter-sessional meeting held ?
1) Moscow, Russia
2) New Delhi, India
3) Bangkok, Thailand
4) Beijing, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bangkok, Thailand
On May 24, 2019, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) inter-sessional meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand. The officials from 16 countries which included the 10-member ASEAN, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and India participated in this meeting.China is the largest producer and exporter of aluminum products. Copper and Aluminum associates are of the opinion that if India reduces import duties to 0%, it will lead to Chinese goods being dumped into Indian markets. As a result, it will lead to the immediate closure of small-scale units.
- What is the rank of India in mobile speeds as per Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index for April 2019 ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 121
On May 27, 2019, In Speedtest Global Index for April 2019 published by Ookla, India’s mobile internet speeds fell for the month April 2019. It was ranked 121 in mobile speeds and 68 in fixed broadband speeds. As per the report, India has maintained its position in fixed broadband with the average download speeds of 29.25 Mbps but the mobile speeds declined and the average download speed was 10.71 Mbps. In 2018, India was ranked 67 for fixed broadband speeds and 109 for mobile internet speeds.
- GDP growth of India is projected to ________%, for the financial year 2019 as per the rating agency India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 6.9%
On May 27, 2019, India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra), a rating agency estimated India GDP Growth at 6.9% in FY19 as against 7%, marginally lower than CSO’s (Central Statistics Office) advance estimate of 7%. The GDP growth was 7.2% during 2017-18. As per the report, 2018-19 will be the second consecutive year of an economic slowdown.
- What is the purchase limit of cheaper cars for the officer category of the defence personnel excluding GST, as per the new restrictions imposed by CSD canteens ?
1) Rs 5 lakh
2) Rs 10 lakh
3) Rs 15 lakh
4) Rs 12 lakh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rs 12 lakh
In order to curtail the expenditure towards procurement of vehicles, the Indian Army has imposed restrictions on the purchase of cheaper cars by defence forces personnel from CSD canteens. The new rules will come into effect from June 1, 2019.Around Rs 17000 crore annually is sanctioned by Parliament for CSD under miscellaneous heads. In 2018, the car sales were over 6000 crores which led to overshot of budget and also carryover liability of payment to car manufacturers rises to Rs 4500 crore. Officers can buy vehicles valued up to Rs 12 lakh excluding GST from CSD canteens only once in eight years and the cars should be up to 2500 cc engine capacity.Jawans would be allowed to buy cars once during their regular service and once after retirement worth around Rs 6.5 lakh including GST.
- Orchha town of which state has been added to the Tentative List of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites ?
1) Himachal Pradesh
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Madhya Pradesh
The architectural heritage of Orchha town in Madhya Pradesh has been added to the Tentative List of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. The architectural heritage of Orchha town depicts a unique style of the Bundela dynasty. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) had sent a proposal to UNESCO to include the architectural heritage of Orchha town in its list of World Heritage Sites on April 15, 2019. For a historical site to be a part of UNESCO’s World Heritage sites, it must be first included in the tentative list. Once included another proposal is sent to UNESCO, only then the site is included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage sites.
- Who was conferred with United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) 10 Most Influential People in Healthcare Award in Geneva, Switzerland ?
1) Acharya Balkrishna
2) Mukta Nand
3) Ajai Kumar Arya
4) Rakesh Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Acharya Balkrishna
On May 26, 2019, Acharya Balkrishna, the Managing Director of Patanjali Ayurved and an aide of Baba Ramdev (Yoga Guru) was felicitated with “United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) 10 Most Influential People in Healthcare Award” in Geneva, Switzerland. He received the award on behalf of Patanjali Group of Institutions. He was a representative from India at UNSDG.The award was conferred to him for the contributions made by Patanjali in curing lifestyle diseases with Yoga, Ayurveda and traditional Indian methods. He dedicated the award to all those who contributed to mainstream Yoga and Ayurveda at the Global Level.
- Name the debutant novel of Guy Gunaratne for which, he receivied 2019’s Swansea University International Dylan Thomas Prize ?
1) The Palace of Illusions: A Novel
2) Mad and Furious City
3) The God of Small Things
4) The Inheritance of Loss
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mad and Furious City
British-Sri Lankan writer, Guy Gunaratne was honoured with 2019’s Swansea University International Dylan Thomas Prize for his debut novel ‘Mad and Furious City’ in Wales, United Kingdom. He received the cash prize of £30,000. His debut novel is a fictional account of 48 hours in North London housing estate after the murder of a British soldier. It was also shortlisted for The Gordon Burn Prize, The Goldsmiths Prize, and the Writers Guild Awards and also longlisted for The Man Booker Prize 2018.
- Who was honoured with the Dr. Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize 2019 for Public Health at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland ?
1) V. Ramalingaswami
2) Vishwa Mohan Katoch
3) Soumya Swaminathan
4) Balram Bhargava
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Balram Bhargava
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Director-General Professor (Dr) Balram Bhargava was honoured with the 2019 Dr. Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland. The event was organized by the World Health Organization (WHO). He was awarded for his contributions as a clinician, innovator, researcher, and trainer.He is the Secretary to the Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, and a Professor of Cardiology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi. He is the Executive Director for Stanford India Biodesign Centre, School of International Biodesign (SiB), New Delhi.
- Name the Indian cricketer, who was recognized as India’s most trusted sports personality for the year 2019 as per report published by consumer-insights company TRA.
1) M.S. Dhoni
2) Sachin Tendulkar
3) Virat Kohli
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Virat Kohli
According to the report published by consumer-insights company TRA, named “Most Trusted Personalities in 2019”, captain of Indian cricket team Virat Kohli is India’s most trusted sports personality. Sachin Tendulkar is placed at second number in the list of India’s most trusted sports personality. Recently Virat Kohli hit 100 million followers on social media, making him India’s most followed sportsperson on social media and also became the world’s most followed cricketer.
- Who sworn in as the 6th Chief Minister of Sikkim recently ?
1) Prem Singh Tamang
2) Sanchaman Limboo
3) Pawan Kumar Chamling
4) Nar Bahadur Bhandari
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Prem Singh Tamang
On May 27, 2019, The president of Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM), Prem Singh Tamang, who is popularly known as PS Golay was sworn in as the 6th Chief Minister of Sikkim. His party secured 17 seats out 32 in the Assembly polls against Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF). SDF which had ruled the state for 25 years secured only 15 seats. He succeeded Pawan Kumar Chamling of SDF, the longest-serving CM of the country. Along with 11 other MLA’s (Member of Legislative Assembly), the Governor of Sikkim, Ganga Prasad undertook the oath taking ceremony which was held at Palzor Stadium, Gangtok. Sikkim can have a maximum of 12 ministers, including the chief minister.
- Which country launched the world’s largest nuclear-powered icebreaker named ‘Ural’ ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Russia
On May 25, 2019, Russia launched the world’s largest nuclear-powered icebreaker ‘Ural’ at the Baltic Shipyard in St Petersburg in order to improve its ability to tap the Arctic’s commercial potential. Russia is preparing for shipping via the Northern Sea Route (NSR). The Ural will be given to Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy corporation Rosatom in 2022 after the other 2 ice-breakers Arktika (Arctic) and Sibir (Siberia) enter into service. The Arktika was floated in 2016.By 2035, Russia’s Arctic fleet will have a minimum of 13 heavy-duty icebreakers, among them 9 will be powered by nuclear reactors.
- Name the supersonic cruise missile, which was test fired by Eastern Command Unit from Car Nicobar Island.
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) BrahMos
A supersonic cruise missile, BrahMos was test-fired by Eastern Command Unit of the Indian Army from Car Nicobar Islands, the northernmost of the Nicobar Islands, an archipelagic island chain in the eastern Indian Ocean. This exercise was part of the joint training by the Indian Army, Navy and the Air Force.There was a specially designed target chosen at a range of 270 km which BrahMos missile successfully hit the target. This validated the capability of deep penetration and accurate engagement of targets in depth by BrahMos missile.
- Where was the world’s rarest Albino Panda was caught on camera for the first time ?
1) North Ossetia-Alania, Russia
2) Hokkaidō, Japan
3) Southwestern Sichuan province of China
4) Northeast coast of Venezuela
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Southwestern Sichuan province of China
For the first time, world’s rarest Albino Panda was caught on camera at Wolong National Nature Reserve in the southwestern Sichuan province of China.The spotless, red-eyed, all-white panda is believed to be the world’s solely recognized albino giant panda. China’s People’s Daily mentioned that the Panda is one to two years old and its gender is yet to be identified. China has estimated 10 billion Yuan ($1.45 billion) for the Giant Panda National Park for their conservation.
- Which journal has published, that water came to earth with the formation of the moon some 4.4 billion years ago ?
1) Nature Astronomy
2) Journal of Biotechnology
3) Journal of Ecology
4) The Journal of Organic Chemistry
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nature Astronomy
Recently, research published on the journal ‘Nature Astronomy’ by Planetologists at the University of Munster based in Germany, revealed that water came to earth with the formation of the moon some 4.4 billion years ago. The moon was formed when Earth was hit by a body about the size of Mars which is also called Theia.Earlier scientists had assumed that Theia was originated in the inner solar system near Earth. However, research revealed that Theia comes from the outer solar system and it had delivered large quantities of water to earth.
- Who won the Monaco Grand Prix 2019 ?
1) Sebastian Vettel
2) Lewis Hamilton
3) Max Verstappen
4) Valtteri Bottas
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Lewis Hamilton
Five-time formula one world champion, Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won Monaco Grand Prix that was held in Circuit de Monaco La Condamine and Monte Carlo, Monaco. Hailing from England, the United Kingdom, this was his sixth straight win in the year 2019. He beat Red Bull Racing-Honda, Max Verstappen who dropped from second on the road to fourth in the results because of a five-second penalty.Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari won the second place while Mercedes Valtteri Bottas completed the Monaco Grand Prix in third place.
- Name the deceased physicist, who won Noble Prize in 1969 for his contributions and discoveries concerning the classification of elementary particles and their interactions .
1) Philipp Lenard
2) Pieter Zeeman
3) Wilhelm Röntgen
4) Murray Gell-Mann
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Murray Gell-Mann
Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prize-winning physicist passed away at the age of 89 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He hailed from New York City, United States. He transformed physics by devising a method known as “eightfold way” for sorting subatomic particles into simple groups of eight—based on an electric charge, spin and other characteristics.He was honoured with Nobel Prize in Physics for his contributions and discoveries concerning the classification of elementary particles and their interactions in the year 1969.
- Prem Tinsulanonda, Former prime minister & royal confidante of which country passed away at the age of 98 recently ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Thailand
The former prime minister of Thailand and royal confidante Prem Tinsulanonda passed away at the age of 98 in Bangkok, Thailand. He was born in southern Thailand.He was the most trusted advisor of late King Bhumibol Adulyadej and served as the 16th prime minister of Thailand from 1980 to 1988.He first achieved national prominence in 1974-77& later served as the deputy interior minister in 1977 and later army commander and defence minister.
- Donald Cash passed away recently, he was a ____________?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Mountaineer
A 54 years old American from Utah, Donald Cash died on Mount Everest just after climbing the highest peak on each seven continent. He was a software salesman and had a goal of climbing the tallest mountain on each of the seven continents. He left his job to join the “Seven Summits Club”. Donald Cash was 12th climber to die on Everest in the range with elevations above 25,000 feet in this year’s spring climbing season.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Chairman & MD of National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC)?Shiv Das Meena
- Pangolakha Wildlife Sanctuary was located in which state?Sikkim
- Who is the Director General of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) ?Dr. Usha Sharma
- Wolong National Nature Reserve is located in which country?China
- What is the Capital and Currency of Germany?Capital: Berlin & Currency: Euro