AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which paramilitary force of India has signed an ‘Affiliation Charter’ with Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) ‘Shaurya’ to utilise each other’s assets for operational training, sports and adventure ?
1) Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)(1st Battalion)
2) Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)(2nd Battalion)
3) Border Security Force (BSF)(4th Battalion)
4) Assam Rifles(3rd (Naga Hills) Battalion)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Assam Rifles(3rd (Naga Hills) Battalion)
The Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) ‘Shaurya’ and the 3rd (Naga Hills) Battalion of the Assam Rifles has signed an ‘Affiliation Charter’ at Laitkor in Shillong. The objective is to enhance inter-armed forces cooperation and utilise each other’s assets for training and sports. The ‘Affiliation Charter’ was signed by director generals of Indian Coast Guard and Assam Riffles. The Assam Rifles is the oldest paramilitary force of India. They have total 46 battalions guarding the India-Myanmar border and also countering the insurgency in the north-eastern states. The 3rd (Naga Hills) Battalion of Assam Rifles is the oldest battalion which was first time raised in 1835 as ‘The Cachar Levy’. They have total 750 personnel under the battalion which comprised of all the ranks for guarding the Eastern Frontier of Assam from Brahmaputra River to the Cachar Hills.
- Where was the Border Personnel Meet(BPM) of Indian and Chinese army held?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ladakh
On May 21, 2019, The Border Personnel Meet (BPM) between the armies of India and China was held in Eastern Ladakh sector of Jammu and Kashmir at the Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) – TWT Meeting Point. The Indian delegation was led by Major General Arvind Kapoor from the Fire and Fury Corps and the Chinese delegation was led by Senior Colonel Gan Wei Han. The BPM began by saluting the National Flags by members of the delegation and then followed by the exchange of greetings.India and China emphasized the mutual desire of maintaining peace and tranquility and improving relations at the functional level at the border areas.
- Which government agency has organized 5th Smart Cities India 2019 Expo in New Delhi recently ?
1) Export Credit Guarantee Corporation of India Limited (ECGC)
2) National Centre for Trade Information (NCTI)
3) India Trade Promotion Organisation(ITPO)
4) State Trading Corporation of India Limited (STCI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India Trade Promotion Organisation(ITPO)
On May 22, 2019, 5th Smart Cities India 2019 Expo including Transport India, Solar India, Buildings India and Water India expos was inaugurated by Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The event was organized by India Trade Promotion Organization(ITPO) and Exhibitions India Group. It initiated to strengthen ‘Smart Cities Mission’ through the display of various products and solutions relevant to building smart cities in India.
- Under which ministry Indian government agency, India Trade Promotion Organisation(ITPO) works ?
1) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
2) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
3) Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
4) Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
The event was organized by India Trade Promotion Organization(ITPO) which works under Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Who headed the high level panel, which suggested the issuance of ‘Elephant Bonds’ for infrastructure projects and investing undisclosed income ?
1) Sanjeev Sanyal
2) Rajiv Kher
3) Adil Zainulbhai
4) Surjit Bhalla
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Surjit Bhalla
A government-appointed high-level panel has suggested for issuance of ‘Elephant Bonds’ for infrastructure projects and people who are declaring undisclosed income will have to mandatorily invest half of that amount in these securities. The duration of ‘Elephant Bond’ will be 25-years. The 12-member panel headed by economist Surjit Bhalla was set up by Ministry of Commerce and Industries last year.
- Where was the second Urban 20 (U20) Mayors summit held?
1) Tokyo, Japan
2) Beijing, China
3) Berlin, Germany
4) Buenos Aires, Argentina
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Tokyo, Japan
The second Urban 20 (U20) Mayors summit was held in Tokyo, the capital city of Japan from May 20 to May 22, 2019.
- What were the theme of the second Urban 20 (U20) Mayors summit ?
1) Theme – “Localizing the Post 2015 development Agenda”
2) Theme – “SDG 11 on Sustainable Cities and Human Settlements”
3) Theme – “Climate Action, Circular Economy, Social Inclusion and Integration, Sustainable Economic Growth and Gender Equality”
4) Theme – “Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments in the Habitat III process”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Climate Action, Circular Economy, Social Inclusion and Integration, Sustainable Economic Growth and Gender Equality”
The themes of the summit were Climate Action, Circular Economy, Social Inclusion and Integration, Sustainable Economic Growth and Gender Equality. The U20 Mayors summit takes place one month ahead of the G20 summit which is to be held in Osaka, Japan.
- What is the maximum rate of service charge revised by Reserve Bank of India(RBI) for the non-chest bank branches, which has deposited in the modern Currency Chests(CC)?
1) Rs.7 per packet
2) Rs.8 per packet
3) Rs.6 per packet
4) Rs.9 per packet
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs.8 per packet
On May 23, 2019, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) permitted the modern Currency Chests (CC) to hike service charges on the cash deposited by non-chest bank branches from Rs.5 per packet of 100 pieces to a higher rate subject to a maximum of Rs.8 per packet.Only those Currency Chests(CC) will be classified as large modern Currency Chests who fulfill the minimum standards. After the fulfillment of this criteria, the rates can be increased.
- Which country’s oil import was terminated by India after US waivers expired ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Iran
The import of oil has been stopped from Iran by India after American waivers granted to eight buyers expired at the start of May 2019. As of April end, the dependency on Iranian oil has been dropped to 1 million tonnes a month from about 2.5 billion tonnes a month.On May 2, 2019, US has ended the waivers that had allowed the top buyers of Iranian oil, including India, to continue their imports for six months. It was being done to reduce Iran’s crude oil export to zero.
- Name the first Indian women, who scaled the world’s fifth highest mountain Mount Makalu.
1) Priyanka Mohite
2) Premlata Agarwal
3) Sangeeta Sindhi Bahl
4) Kalpana Dash
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Priyanka Mohite
26-year-old Satara-based mountaineer, Priyanka Mohite, becomes first Indian woman to successfully scale world’s fifth highest peak, Mount Makalu (8,481 metres). In 2013, she scaled Mount Everest at the age of 21 and became the third youngest person to do so.In 2016, she claimed Mt. Kilimanjaro.In 2018, she claimed Mount Lhotse (8,516 metres (27,940 ft)), the fourth highest mountain in the world.
- Chancy Chitete was honoured with the United Nation’s (UN) highest peacekeeping award, dubbed as “Captain Mbaye Diagne Medal for Exceptional Courage”, he belongs to which country ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Malawi
Chancy Chitete, a soldier from Malawi will be honoured with the UN’s highest peacekeeping award. He was killed in November 2018 during an operation in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to combat the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), an armed force that has been disrupting the UN’s ongoing efforts to treat and halt the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
- Name the Indian Police Officer, who was honoured with UN (United Nations) Dag Hammarskjold Medal(posthumously).
1) Hemant Karkare
2) Mohan Chand Sharma
3) Jitender Kumar
4) Vinod Kumar Chaubey
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jitender Kumar
Late Jitender Kumar sacrificed his life while serving the UN Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO). His medal will be collected by India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin. The UN (United Nations) Dag Hammarskjold Medal will be awarded posthumously to Indian Police Officer Jitender Kumar during the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, on May 29 at the UN headquarters in New York. He is among the 119 military, police and civilian personnel who lost their lives in 2018 and early 2019. They will be honored by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
- Name the judge, who was appointed as the judge of Supreme Court along with Justices B R Gavai, Justice Surya Kant, Justice Aniruddha Bose.
1) Justice Sanjay Kumar Seth
2) Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar
3) Justice Vijaya Tahilramani
4) Justice A S Bopanna
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Justice A S Bopanna
The Centre has approved the four names recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium for elevation as judges of the Supreme Court. The newly appointed judges have been administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi. The appointment has been made by the President under clause (2) of Article 124 of the Constitution. The new appointees are – Justices B R Gavai, Justice Surya Kant, Justice Aniruddha Bose and Justice A S Bopanna.With these four appointments, now the Supreme Court has reached its full sanctioned strength of 31 judges. Prior to the appointment, the apex court was functioning with 27 judges including the Chief Justice.
- Who resigned as the Chief Minister (CM) of Andhra Pradesh recently?
1) Chandrababu Naidu
2) Pema Khandu
3) Chandrashekar Rao
4) Nitish Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Chandrababu Naidu
In Andhra Pradesh Assembly elections, YSR (Yeduguri Sandinti Rajasekhara) Congress party got a massive mandate. As Chandrababu Naidu resigned from the post of Chief Minister (CM) of Andhra Pradesh, YSR Congress Party President Jagan Mohan Reddy is likely to take oath as CM of Andhra Pradesh on May 30, 2019. In Assembly elections, YSR Congress won 151 seats out of 175-Assembly seats. However former CM Chandrababu Naidu led Telugu Desam Party (TDP) won only 23 seats.In Lok Sabha Election, YSR Congress won 22 seats out of 25 seats and the other remaining 3 seats were won by Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
- Name the bollywood actor, who was appointed as the brand ambassador of India’s second largest tractor manufacturer by volumes, Tractors and Farm Equipment Ltd (TAFE).
1) Aamir Khan
2) Akshay Kumar
3) Salman Khan
4) Shahrukh Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Akshay Kumar
On May 22, 2019, India’s second largest tractor manufacturer by volumes, Tractors and Farm Equipment Ltd (TAFE) has roped in Bollywood Actor Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador for the Massey Ferguson brand. TAFE Ltd has a presence across 100 countries and sale of 2.5 million tractors to date.Massey Ferguson range includes over 125 products and variants.
- Name the telescope, which is used to discover the 18 hidden ‘Earth-sized Exoplanets’ outside our Solar System.
1) Galileo National Telescope
2) Hubble Space Telescope
3) Kepler Space Telescope
4) Spitzer Space Telescope
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kepler Space Telescope
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had discovered 18 Earth-sized Exoplanets outside our solar system. The NASA scientists had discovered these exoplanets with NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope by using a new technique. The study is published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.The new method was basically an algorithm which was explained by Dr. Rene Heller from the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research as “Standard search algorithms attempt to identify sudden drops in brightness”. By using this algorithm NASA’s scientists discovered 18 exoplanets.
- Which Industrial equipment supplier has collaborated with the Satish Dhawan Space Centre to manufacture India’s largest liquid hydrogen storage tank ?
1) Reliance Industries Limited
2) Hindusthan Unilever Limited
3) Nittan India Tech Private Limited
4) VRV Asia Pacific Private Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) VRV Asia Pacific Private Limited
Recently, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)’s Chairman K. Sivan flagged off the shipment of India’s largest liquid hydrogen storage tank at the VRV Asia Pacific’s manufacturing plant at Sri City in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. Liquid hydrogen is used as fuel for satellite launch vehicles.
- Name the country which has test fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile, Shaheen-II with strike range of upto 1500 km.
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pakistan
Recently, Pakistan military has test-fired its surface-to-surface ballistic missile Shaheen-II which is capable of carrying both conventional and nuclear warheads. The range of the missile is up to 1500 km. The missile is capable of hitting major cities of India. According to Pakistan military, Shaheen-II missile fully meets Pakistan’s strategic needs towards the maintenance of desired deterrence stability in the region.
- Researchers from North Eastern Regional Institute of Sciences and Technology has discovered the new medicinal plants of Zeliangrong ethnic group in which state ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Manipur
New medicinal plants of Zeliangrong ethnic group were found in Manipur by the research team from North Eastern Regional Institute of Sciences and Technology, Arunachal Pradesh. This study was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology. The lead author of the study was Robert Panmei and the members were P. R. Gajurela and B. Singh.Zeliangrong ethnic group is one of the 32 tribes in Manipur, living in the Tamenglong district. It comprises of three groups namely Zeme, Liangmai and Rongmei which are collectively known as Zeliangrong.
- Name the Earth’s oldest fungi fossil, discovered by scientists of Liege University of Canada recently.
1) Viviparus glacialis
2) Scaphites hippocrepis
3) Ourasphaira Giraldae
4) Argopecten gibbus
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ourasphaira Giraldae
Researchers of Belgium in collaboration with the University of Liege discovered the Earth’s oldest fungi fossil named Ourasphaira giraldae aged 1 billion years in Canada. They are about 600 million years older than the last discovery.The study was published in the journal Nature.Researchers found the presence of chitin, a fibrous substance that forms on fungal cell walls. The fossils were found in by its ratio of radioactive elements.
- Shakib Al Hasan topped the ODI all rounders list in the latest ICC Rankings, he belongs to which country?
1) New Zealand
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bangladesh
Shakib Al Hasan of Bangladesh aged 32, topped the ODI all-rounders list in the ICC Rankings.Two Indian Cricketer, Kedar Jadhav, and Hardik Pandya was ranked in the top 20 list. Kedar Jadhav was ranked 12th in the list while Hardik Pandya ranked 20th in the list. Top 5 ODI all-rounders in the list:
1. Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh)
2. Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
3. Mohammad Nabi (Afghanistan)
4. Imad Wasim (Pakistan)
5. Mitchell Santner (New Zealand)
- Name the women football team that won the Indian Women’s League Champions recently.
1) Sethu FC
2) Rising Student’s Club
3) Central SSB Women’s
4) Bangalore United FC
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sethu FC
On May 22, 2019, Sethu FC from Madurai led by the captain, Indumathi was crowned as the 2018-19 Indian Women’s League Champions after the 3-1 win over Manipur Police SC. The 3rd edition of the match was held at the Guru Nanak Stadium, Ludhiana, Punjab.Manipur Police SC was on the lead during the first half with 0-1. Later on, Sethu FC made a stunning comeback by defeating Manipur Police SC with 3-1. Radharani Devi scored a goal to Manipur Police SC. Sethu FC scored the first goal from Umapati Devi and then 2 goals by Sabitra Bhandari.
- Where was the International Tennis Federation 2019 held recently?
1) Jakarta, Indonesia
2) Kampla, Uganda
3) Beijing, China
4) Tokyo, Japan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kampla, Uganda
2019 International Tennis Federation (ITF) men’s Futures tennis tournament title was held in Kampla, Uganda.
- Who won the Men’s doubles title in International Tennis Federation 2019?
1) Roman Safiullin and Peter Heller
2) Simon Carr and Ryan James Storrie
3) Anirudh Chandrasekar and Niki Poonacha
4) Oriol Roca Batalla and David Pérez Sanz
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Anirudh Chandrasekar and Niki Poonacha
In the finals of Men’s doubles, Anirudh Chandrasekar and Niki Poonacha defeated Simon Carr and Ryan James Storrie by 6-3, 6-4 to win a title. This was the maiden title for Anirudh in the international circuit while it was fourth title for Poonacha, who had also won a singles titles last year in Indonesia.They won the prize money of USD 15,000.
- Name the deceased Kenyan author and gay rights activist, who won the Caine Prize for his short story “Discovering Home”.
1) Grace Ogot
2) Muthoni Garland
3) Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
4) Binyavanga Wainaina
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Binyavanga Wainaina
Veteran Kenyan writer, gay right activist and founder of the literary magazine Kwani, Binyavanga Wainaina passed away at the age of 48 in Nairobi. He was born in Nakuru, Kenya. In 2002, he won Caine Prize for his short story “Discovering Home”. In 2003, he was conferred with the award by the Kenya Publisher’s Association for his services to Kenyan literature.In 2014, he was named one of the world’s 100 most influential people by Time Magazine.He has written for The EastAfrican, National Geographic, The Sunday Times (South Africa), Granta, The New York Times, Chimurenga and The Guardian (UK).
- What was the theme of International Commonwealth Day 2019?
1) Theme – “A Connected Commonwealth”
2) Theme – “Holocaust Remembrance and Education: Our Shared Responsibility”
3) Theme – “linguistic diversity and multilingualism for sustainable development”
4) Theme – “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “A Connected Commonwealth”
International Commonwealth Day was celebrated on May 24, 2019, by the people in Commonwealth countries. The theme for this year is ‘A Connected Commonwealth’.Commonwealth Day was earlier known as the Empire Day. In 1958, Harold Macmillan, the then Prime Minister of United Kingdom, announced in Parliament the renaming of Empire Day as Commonwealth Day and since then it is celebrated.It is celebrated on the second Monday in March in many countries whereas in India it is celebrated on May 24.This year marks the 70th anniversary of the formation of the Commonwealth.
- World Turtle Day is observed annually on ___________?
1) 22nd May
2) 23rd May
3) 21st May
4) 20th May
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 23rd May
19th World Turtle Day was observed on May 23, 2019. It is celebrated annually to educate people about the things they can do to protect the habitats of turtle and tortoises. The theme of this year is “Adopt, Don’t Shop”. Key Points: i. For the first time, it was celebrated in the year 2000.It was founded by the American Tortoise Rescue (ATR) to increase the respect and knowledge of turtles. These animals survived for 200 million years.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of Commonwealth of Nations?London, UK
- Who is the President of International Tennis Federation (ITF)?David Haggerty
- What is the motto of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)?For the Benefit of All
- Koundinya Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?Andhra Pradesh
- What is the Capital and Currency of Iran?Capital: Tehran & Currency: Iranian rial