AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which two department have signed MoU with M/o Science and Technology for supporting joint collaborative research programmes in the area of Cancer?
i. Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
ii. Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR)
iii. Department of Bio-Technology (DBT)
iv. Department of Science and Technology (DST)
1) Option i & ii
2) Option i & iii
3) Option ii & iii
4) Option ii & iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option i & iii
Two departments under the Government of India, Department of Biotechnology(DBT, M/o Science and Technology and Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MOU) for supporting joint collaborative research programmes in the area of Cancer. The MOU was signed by Dr Renu Swarup, Secretary DBT and Shri K N Vyas, Secretary DAE. MOU will help to build different initiatives in the field of cancer like strategizing and prioritizing cancer research, development of new and affordable technologies, jointly design and fund clinical trials, coordinate and collaborate for translational research, interventions, training of manpower and infrastructure development.
- Where was the Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM) of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting 2019 held recently ?
1) Tashkent, Uzbekistan
2) New Delhi, India
3) Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan(Kyrgyz Republic)
4) Beijing, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (Kyrgyz Republic)
The meeting of Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM) of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) held in Bishkek, the Kyrgyzstan Republic on May 21-22, 2019. This was India’s second meeting of Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM) after becoming a full member of SCO. The last meeting of CFM was held in Beijing, China on April 23-24, 2018. The next SCO summit will be held in Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic on June 13-14, 2019. The purpose of the meeting of CFM was to review the preparations for the forthcoming SCO Summit in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic. India delegation was led by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.India and Kyrgyzstan also hold bilateral meetings on the sideline of CFM meeting of SCO.
- US State Department has agreed to sell, air-defense missiles worth over USD 600 million to which of the following countries?
2) South Korea
3) North Korea
4) Both 1 & 2
5) Both 1 & 3Answer – 4) Both 1 & 2
US State Department has approved to sell air-defense missiles for the worth of more than USD 600 million to Japan and South Korea. This approval was the result of rising tension with North Korea when a pair of the missile was tested by North Korea last week.US government has approved the sale of 94 SM-2 Block IIIB surface-to-air missile (SAM) interceptors used by ships against air threats along with 12 guidance systems for a total cost of USD 313.9 million to South Korea.US government has also approved the sale of 160 AIM-120C-7 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM), and one AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM guidance section to Japan for USD 317 million.
- Name the first of its kind naval exercise, which has participants from four countries viz the United States, Japan, South Korea and Australia that held near Guam,United States .
1) Pacific Vanguard
2) Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC)
4) Naseem-Al-Bahr (Sea Breeze)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pacific Vanguard
The four countries US, Japan, South Korea, and Australia have kicked off first-of-its-kind Pacific Vanguard Naval Exercise near Guam, U.S. island territory in Micronesia. In naval drills, more than 3,000 sailors from four countries have participated and the naval exercise has focused on live-fire exercises, defensive counter-air operations, anti-submarine warfare, and replenishment at sea. Australian Navy has participated in the exercise with its two frigates, HMAS Melbourne and HMAS Parramatta. Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force participated with JS Ariake and JS Asahi and South Korea participated with ROKS Wang Geon.
- Which of the following countries were declared as the malaria-free countries by World Health Organization(WHO) recently ?
1) Option i & iii
2) Option ii & iii
3) Option iii & iv
4) Option i & iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option ii & iii
World Health Organization has officially declared Algeria and Argentina as malaria-free countries after recording no new cases for more than three years. Now, the numbers of malaria-free countries increased to 38 from 36. Argentina reported the last indigenous case in 2010 while in Algeria it was reported in 2013. In the 1960s, there were 80,000 cases a year in Algeria which dropped to 28,000 in 2000. Algeria is the second African nation to have eliminated the disease after Mauritius which achieved the goal in 1973.It is only in Algeria, where the malaria parasite was discovered by French physician Dr. Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran in 1880. Malaria is a parasitic disease transmitted through the bite of female Anopheles mosquitoes.
- Which bank has signed an agreement with Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC), to provide USD 750 million long-term financing for the Railways Track Electrification Project?
1) New Development Bank
2) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
3) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4) World Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has inked an agreement with Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC), an entity owned by Government of India (GOI) to provide USD 750 million long-term financing for the Railways Track Electrification Project, as part of a broad modernization program to reduce the dependence India’s railway sector on fossil fuels. It is the largest single non-sovereign loan ever. IRFC will use the proceeds from the loan to install electric traction equipment along about 3,378 kilometres of existing railway lines. Then, the electrification assets will be leased to Indian Railways, under a long-term lease agreement.The GOI has already developed a 5-year, $132 billion capital expenditure program for the modernization of Indian Railways.
- Where was the 576th two day meeting of the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) held?
1) Pune, Maharshtra
2) Kolkata, West Bengal
3) Mumbai, Maharshtra
4) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
The 576th two day meet of the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, under the Chairmanship of Governor Shaktikanta Das to review the current economic situation, global and domestic challenges and various areas of operations of the Reserve Bank. The key matter of the discussion was the Medium-Term Strategy document, covering the Mission Statement and the Vision Statement.During the meet, it was decided to create a “Specialised Supervisory and Regulatory Cadre” with RBI to strengthen the supervision and regulation of commercial banks, urban cooperative banks and Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFC).
- Which Indian regulatory body along with Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced Regulatory Sandbox Framework for Fintech Startups ?
1) Small Industries Development Bank of India(SIDBI)
2) Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
3) Pension Fund Regulatory & Development Authority(PFRDA)
4) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
On the lines of the initiative taken by Reserve Bank of India (RBI), regarding the setting up of the regulatory sandbox (RS) in its draft “Enabling Framework for Regulatory Sandbox” in April for fintech innovations; the market watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and insurance watchdog Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) have also introduced the similar RS.SEBI has released a testing environment, “Innovation Sandbox”, for firms not regulated by SEBI and also for individuals. They could test their proposed products subject to the fulfillment of the eligibility criteria, based on market-related data made available by stock exchanges, depositories, and qualified registrar and share transfer agents (QRTAs).On the other hand, for the IRDAI sandbox, an applicant should have a net worth of Rs 10 lakh with proven financial record of at least one year for testing new digital and tech-based innovations, before launching them in the market.
- Economic growth of the globe is projected to _________ percent for the year, 2019 by United Nations (UN) in its report “World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update” recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 2.7%
United Nations (UN) in its mid-year report on economic prospects named “World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update” has diminished the global economic growth forecasts for 2019 to 2.7% and for 2020 to 2.9%. In the January predictions, the economic growth was projected at 3% for both years.The reason behind the lowering of the forecast is high trade tensions, uncertainty over political policies and a complicated confluence of internal and external factors affecting most of the developed and developing economies.
- What is the GDP growth of India for the financial year 2020 as per the United Nation’s report World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 7.1%
United Nation’s report World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update projected India’s growth as 7.1%.Among developed economies, United States’ will grow at 2.3%, while the European Union’s overall economy will expand at 1.5%, Japan at 0.8% and Russia at 1.4%.For India, UN has cut the growth rate by 0.6% to be at 7% for 2019 from the earlier prediction of 7.6% in the January edition. But despite of downward revision, India remains the fastest growing major economy in the world, ahead of China’s growth rate of 6.3%.For 2020,
- Name the organization,which has projected India’s GDP growth as 7.5% for the year 2020 recently.
1) World Bank
2) World Trade Organization(WTO)
3) Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
4) International Monetary Fund(IMF)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in its Economic Outlook projected India’s GDP growth to 7.25 percent in FY19 and 7.5 percent in FY20.This growth is result of increase rural consumption, fiscal and quasi-fiscal stimulus, recent structural reforms and lower inflation. ii. Economic Outlook report also suggested that increased Goods and Services Tax (GST) collection and wider base of personal income tax will reduce high public debt-to-GDP ratio.
- Which bank is set to buy a stake in India International Exchange (INX) a subsidiary of Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) ?
1) Axis Bank
2) HDFC Bank
3) State Bank of India(SBI)
4) ICICI Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) ICICI Bank
ICICI Bank has entered into an agreement with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) to buy stake in its subsidiary India International Exchange (INX) which is located at Gujarat International Financial Tec-City (GIFT City) Gujarat for around Rs 31 crore. ICICI is buying stake up to 9.9 % in INX.
- Name the scientist and financial expert, who recommendeds a strategy to reduce oil imports while submitting their report to Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan .
1) Anil Kakodkar and Sidharth Pradhan
2) Avinash Agarwal and N K Singh
3) Anil Kakodkar and Bimal Jalan
4) Avinash Agarwal and Sidharth Pradhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Anil Kakodkar and Sidharth Pradhan
A High-level Committee of Companies in its report to Oil Ministry has suggested short-term, medium-term and long-term strategies to reduce crude oil imports.The purpose of the formation of this committee is to discuss research-related synergies and tax issues for state-run oil companies. The committee led by Anil Kakodkar, a scientist and Sidharth Pradhan, an expert on financial and tax issues. The committee has suggested creating a new entity for oil services and supply of qualified manpower to the oil and gas sector around the world.
- Name the Omani author, who became the first Arabic author to win Man Booker International Prize 2019.
1) Saida Bint Khatir al-Farisi
2) Jokha Alharthi
3) Nasra Al Adawi
4) Khawla al-Zahiri
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Jokha Alharthi
Jokha Alharthi, an Omani female author became the first Arabic author to win 2019 Man Booker International Prize 2019 for her novel “Celestial Bodies”. The novel contains the story of three sisters in an Omani village. The novel was originally published in Arabic and then translated by Marilyn Booth in English.The jury which selected Alhathi’s novel a winner of Man Booker International Prize was headed by Bettany Hughes.
- Which university honoured Indra Nooyi with Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters recognizing her achievements in business ?
1) Princeton University
2) Columbia University
3) Yale University
4) Harvard University
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Yale University
Indra Nooyi, former PepsiCo Chairman, and CEO was honoured with Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Yale University, USA for her achievements in business. She is considered as a global role model who encourages women and girls to see themselves as top business tycoons.
- Name the Indian Scientist, who won second place in ‘German Chemistry Prize’ in the 4th Green and Sustainable Chemistry Conference held in Dresden ,Germany.
1) Jyoti Mittal
2) Rajnish Kumar
3) Dinesh Mohan
4) Ankur Patwardhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ankur Patwardhan
Dr. Ankur Patwardhan, a scientist from Pune won ‘German Chemistry Prize’ by securing a second place in an international competition named ‘Elsevier Foundation-ISC3 Green and Sustainable Chemistry Challenge’ during in the 4th Green and Sustainable Chemistry Conference held in Dresden, Germany. The first prize was won by Dr. Ramia Albakain with €50,000 for his project “New green technique to remove toxic metal from wastewater”.
- Which Indian life insurance company was conferred with ‘Claims Excellence Award’ by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)?
1) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
2) Reliance Life Insurance
3) SBI Life Insurance
4) Life Insurance Corporation
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) confers Private Life Insurer, Bharti AXA Life Insurance with the ‘Claims Excellence Award’ during 20th Annual Insurance Conference – FINCON 2019 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra. KeyPoints: i. The award was presented for its customer-friendly claims services, including dedicated claims handler and one of the best claim settlement ratios, in the life insurance sector.
- Hema Divakar won ‘Global Asian of the Year’ Award for Contribution to Women’s Healthcare Ecosystem,she hails from which Indian city ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bengaluru
Bengaluru based doctor Hema Divakar received the ‘Global Asian of the Year 2018-19’ Award for her yeomen services and contribution towards Women’s Healthcare Ecosystem. Dr. Hema was conferred the award at the Asian Business & Social Forum 2019 in Dubai under the ‘In Service of the Society and the Nation’ category from UAE’s Trade Promotion Director Mohammed Naser Hamdan Al Zaabi.She is leading a healthcare initiative for the overall development of women with qualitative and affordable treatment.
- Name the Indian flight lieutenant, who become the first female fighter pilot of Indian Air Force to undertake combat missions.
1) Ayesha Farooq
2) Mohana Singh
3) Bhawana Kanth
4) Avani Chaturvedi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bhawana Kanth
Flight Lieutenant, Bhawana Kanth has become the first female fighter pilot of Indian Air Force, who qualified to undertake combat missions. Bhawana Kanth, was one among the first batch of women fighter pilots of the IAF, who joined in July 2016. She flew the first solo on MiG-21 Bison in March 2018.She became the first female fighter pilot after successfully completing day operational syllabus on MiG-21 Bison aircraft.
- Which group of companies has surpassed the Tata Group in terms of market capitalization and became the most valuable business house ?
1) Hindustan Group
2) Adani Group
3) Reliance Group
4) HDFC Group
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) HDFC Group
HDFC Group surpassed Tata Group in terms of market capitalisation and became the most valuable business house. HDFC Group with 5 listed companies recorded the m-cap as Rs. 11.66 lakh crore whereas Tata Group with 29 listed firms stood at Rs. 11.64 lakh crore. The 5 listed firms of HDFC Group are HDFC Ltd, HDFC Bank, HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company, HDFC Asset Management Company and Gruh Finance. Tata Group includes TCS, Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Titan, Tata Chemicals, Tata Global, Tata Chemicals, Tata Power and others.
- Which country has elected Volodymyr Zelenskiy as its president?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ukraine
Ukrainian TV star Volodymyr Zelenskiy, won the presidential election in April 2019 and sworn in as 6th President of Ukraine recently. He succeeded Petro Poroshenko.He hails from the south-eastern city of Kryvyi Rih. His election campaign slogan was ‘unify Ukraine’.He won 73% of the vote cast and became Ukraine’s youngest post-Soviet President.
- Who was elected as the President of South Africa?
1) Kgalema Motlanthe
2) Cyril Ramaphosa
3) Thabo Mbeki
4) Marais Viljoen
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Cyril Ramaphosa
Cyril Ramaphosa’s party, African National Congress (ANC) won South African elections with a majority and secured 57.51 percent votes and Cyril Ramaphosa elected as South African President. Last year in February 2018, Cyril Ramaphosa elected as South African President after President Jacob Zuma resigned from the post due to charges of corruption. This was the first time that African National Congress has got less than 60 percent votes in national polls.
- Which country has banned the use of Chinese digital wallets Alipay and WeChat?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Nepal
On May 21, 2019, Nepal Rastra Bank, the central bank of Nepal, banned the use of Chinese digital wallets Alipay and WeChat Pay. This is done to prevent the loss of foreign currency earnings through its usage. The apps WeChat Pay and Alipay are operated by Tencent Holdings and Alibaba Group Holding’s Ant Financial Services Group affiliate respectively. They had failed to secure licenses to operate in the country.Nepal has witnessed more Chinese tourists and they use these apps for payments.
- Name the air to surface missile, which is test fired from Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft recently .
1) Nirbhay missile
2) Pralay missile
3) Pinaka missile
4) BrahMos missile
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) BrahMos missile
Recently, Indian Air Force (IAF) has successfully test-fired an aerial version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. The aerial variant of BrahMos missile was developed with the help of IAF, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- What is the strike range of air-to-surface BrahMos missile, that is test fired recently ?
1) 300 km
2) 200 km
3) 400 km
4) 500 km
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 300 km
The aerial version of air-to-surface BrahMos missile weighed 2.5 tonnes and a target range of around 300 km. It has a capability to travels at a speed of Mach 2.8 which is nearly three times that of sound.In 2017, IAF became the first air force in the world to have successfully fired an air-launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target.
- Vice President of India, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu called to protect and promote which cattle breed ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ongole
On May 20, 2019, Vice President of India, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu called to protect and promote Ongole cattle breed and released a Compendium on Ongole breed of cattle at the Swarna Bharat Trust in Vijayawada, Andra Pradesh.Compendium on Ongole breed of cattle consists of 1200 pages. It provides the history of the animal from 1885 to 2016 with the information from 13 books and 80 research findings.The compendium is a collaborated work of Mullapudi Narendranath, an agricultural scientist and former Joint Director of Animal Husbandry Department, Adusumilli Madhusudan Rao.Instructions have been given to officials to strengthen up the work on the breed at National Kamadhenu Breeding Centre, Chintaladevi in Nellore District of Andra Pradesh.
- Sultan Ahmad Shah Sultan Abu Bakar passed away recently, he belonged to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Malaysia
Seventh King of Malaysia Sultan Ahmad Shah Sultan Abu Bakar passed away at the age of 88 in National Heart Institute, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He was born in 1930 in Istana Manggal Tunggal, Pekan, Pahang, Federated Malay States, British Malaya. He also served as the fifth Sultan of Pahang state, central of Malaysia. From 1979 to 1984, he served as the seventh Yang di-Pertuan Agong or the supreme head of state.He was a football player and held Presidency of the Malaysian Football Association (FAM) from 1984 until 2014, Presidency of Asian Football Confederation (AFC) from 1994 until 2002 and Asean Football Federation (AFF) 2011.
- International Day to End Obstetric Fistula observed annually on _____________?
1) May 20
2) May 21
3) May 22
4) May 23
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) May 23
United Nations celebrated May 23 as International Day to End Obstetric Fistula. In 2003, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), formerly known as United Nations Fund for Population Activities and its partners had launched a global campaign to End Obstetric Fistula.In 2012, United Nations announced to celebrate May 23 as International Day to End Obstetric Fistula every year starting from 2013. An obstetric fistula is a hole between the vagina and rectum or bladder that is caused by prolonged obstructed labor, leaving a woman incontinent of urine or feces or both. Obstructed labor means, labor that goes unattended, the labor can last up to six or seven days.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Mahaveer Harina Vanasthali National Park is located in which state?Telangana
- Who is the chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)?G. Satheesh Reddy
- Where was the headquarter of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) located?New York, US
- What is the Capital and Currency of Ukraine?Capital – Kyiv & Currency – Ukrainian hryvnia
- Who is the MD & CEO of Bharti AXA Life Insurance?Vikas Seth