AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 23 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 23,2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was apprised of the MoU between India and Angola for promoting bilateral cooperation in the field of ____?
4.Electronics and Information Technology
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Electronics and Information Technology
MeitY has entered into MoUs/Agreements with counterpart organizations/ agencies of various countries to promote close cooperation and exchange of information in the area of ICT. To further enhance cooperation with various countries, particularly in view of the new initiatives taken by Government of India like “Digital India”, “Make in India” etc., there is an increased need for exploring business opportunities inthe technology sector. MeitY negotiated a comprehensive MoU for a focussed cooperation in ICT areas such as in e-Governance, HRD for IT education, Information Security, Electronics Hardware manufacturing, IT embedded Software industry, Telemedicine etc.
- On May 23,2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its ex-post facto approval to the MoU signed between India and France in the field of _____?
1.Science and Technology
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Renewable Energy
To identify research/ demonstration/ pilot project between National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE),India and Commissariat aI’EnergieAtomique et aux Energies Alternatives (CEA), France . They would work for implementation & deployment of pilot project in ISA member countries. Collaboration may occur through several means, including joint research projects, joint R&D, joint workshops, Research and Technology exchange including exchange of domain experts. It also aims for exchange of expertise and networking of information and help in strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries.
- On May 23,2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its ex-post facto approval to the MoU between India and Denmark regarding cooperation in which area?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Food safety
Help deepen bilateral ties, mutual understanding and trust. Eventually strengthening capacity buildingefforts towards food safety. Understanding of the best practices in the areas of food safety in both countries and in faster resolution of issues related to food safety. Facilitation of food trade of important commodities.
- On May 23,2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the signing of a MoU between India and Turkey on trade in which item?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Poppy seeds
Turkish Grain Board (TMO)shall maintain an online system to enable regulation of export of poppy seeds from Turkey to India. Exporting companies shall submit application through the Agean Exporters Association (EIB) (responsibility given by law) to TMO . The quantity of poppy seeds which shall be imported by India from Turkey shall be decided by Government of India in consultation with Government of Turkey . Sales contract entered into by the exporting company with Indian importer shall be registered with TMO.
- On May 23,2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved Implementation of a Comprehensive Telecom Development Plan (CTDP) for the North Eastern Region (NER) in which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Meghalaya
On May 23,2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved Implementation of a Comprehensive Telecom Development Plan (CTDP) for the North Eastern Region(NER) in Meghalaya. A total estimated project cost of Rs. 3911 crore to be funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) and approval of the enhanced cost of CTDP Project for NER for an amount of Rs. 8120.81 crore (Rs. 5336.18 crore already approved by the Cabinet on 10.09.2014).
- On May23,2018, the government of Rajasthan launched _____ software for disease monitoring?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nidaan
On May23,2018,Thegovernment of Rajasthan launched ‘Nidaan’ software for disease monitoring .This will monitor seasonal and non-communicable diseases and the trends of ailments found in specific areas. This was launched by Additional Chief Secretary (Medical and Health) Veenu Gupta. NHM State Director Naveen Jain, Rajasthan Medical Services Corporation’s Managing Director M.P. Sharma, Commissioner (Public Health) V.K. Mathur and Director (AIDS) S.S. Chauhan were among those present in the launch ceremony.
- Which state Government has launched a new scheme to help the landless labourers from the Scheduled Castes to acquire agricultural land?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Maharashtra
Now the landless labourers from the Scheduled Castes can purchase acres of rainfed agricultural land or two acres of irrigated land by paying only 5 % of the cost. The rest up to 8 lakh rupees will be borne by the Maharashtra government. This is a modified scheme. The previous Dadasaheb Gaikwad empowerment of scheduled caste landless labourers scheme was offering 50 % subsidy. It was not adequate and benefited only 5000 landless labourers from SCs in Maharashtra.
- On 23rd May 2018, where did the 4th Smart Cities India 2018 expo begin?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.New Delhi
Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu, was the Chief Guest at the opening ceremony. CR Chaudhary, Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry and Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, and Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare were the guests of honour. The Smart Cities India 2018 Expo is held for 3 days till 25th May 2018. It is co-organised by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO), the NASSCOM Center of Excellence – IoT and Exhibitions India Group. This event acts as a platform to make profitable business relationships, exchange ideas and improve know-how.
- On May 23,2018, according to a Lancet study called “The Global Burden of Disease” what was the rank of India among 195 countries in terms of health care access?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.145
On May 23,2018, According to a Lancet study called “The Global Burden of Disease “ India ranked 145 among 195 countries in terms of health care access.India performed poorly in tackling cases of tuberculosis, rheumatic heart diseases, Ischaemic heart diseases, stroke, testicular cancer, colon cancer and chronic kidney disease among others. Subnational inequalities were particularly pronounced in China and India, although high-income countries, including England and the US, also saw considerable local gaps in performance.
- On May 23,2018, which bank launched Digital Loans against Mutual Funds in partnership with transfer agent CAMS?
4.Kotak Mahindra Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.HDFC Bank
Customers will be able to leverage their mutual fund portfolio to avail funds for any contingencies or emergencies without liquidating their investments or stopping their regular investment plans. The bank has a tie-up with 10 mutual companies against whose policies loans will be given. The ticket size of the loans will range from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1 crore at an interest rate of 10.5 -11%.The bank has a mutual fund loan portfolio of Rs 10,000 crore.
- On May 23,2018, the DAC approved measures to simplify defence procurement procedure. What does “C” represent in DAC?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Council
DAC – Defence Acquisition Council
This measures will be incorporated in the DPP-16. The significant changes inter-alia include devolution of powers within the Ministry of Defence and the Service Headquarters. Concurrent running of the acquisition process instead of sequential stage clearance. Deletion of repetitive processes.
- On May 23,2018, the Department of Empowerment of Person with Disabilities (DEPwD-Divyangjan Shashaktikaran Vibhag) and which ministry signed a MoU with Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) for the Financial Year 2018-19?
1.Ministry of Women and Child Development
2.Ministry of Social Justice & empowerment
3.Ministry of Home Affairs
4.Ministry of Science and Technology
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ministry of Social Justice & empowerment
On May 23,2018, The Department of Empowerment of Person with Disabilities (DEPwD-Divyangjan Shashaktikaran Vibhag) and Ministry of Social Justice & empowerment signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) for the Financial Year 2018-19. The MoU was signed by Smt Shakuntala D. Gamlin, Secretary DEPwD & Shri D.R.Sarin, CMD ALIMCO. On this occasion, Dr. Prabodh Seth, Joint Secretary, DEPwD & Smt Dolly Chakraborty, Joint Secretary, DEPwD were also present.
- On May 23, 2018, Western Railway (WR) launched E-catering facility in how many major stations?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.23
The Passengers can order food of their choice from a wide range of restaurants and food chains while on the go. Vendors at stations such as Mumbai Central, Bandra Terminus, Andheri, Ahmedabad, Gandhidham, Surat, Nandurbar, Vasai Road, Maninagar, Mahesana, Palanpur, Anand, Bharuch, Vadodara, Rajkot, Dwarka, Vapi , Chittorgarh, Indore, Nimach, Ratlam, Ujjain and Nagda can easily deliver food to the passengers. Popular restaurants and food chains like Domino’s Pizza, Faasos, Havmor, Haldiram, Delhi Darbar, Comesum, McDonald’s, MFC etc. are e-catering associates of the WR.
- On 22nd May 2018, Ministry of Railways and RCIL signed a Memorandum of Uunderstanding (MoU) for 2018-19. Expand RCIL?
1.Railway Corporation of India Limited
2.Railway Council of India Limited
3.RailTel Corporation of India Limited
4.RailTel Council of India Limited
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.RailTel Corporation of India Limited
The MoU was signed by Railway Board Secretary, Ranjanesh Sahai and RCIL, Chairman and Managing Director, N. Kashinath. They fixed both financial and physical targets for 18-19 for several major Projects. According to the MoU, RCIL has projected revenue from operations of Rs. 1200 crore and other target related to CCTV and Wifi at Stations, development of Content on Demand (CoD) services on trains etc. RailTel Corporation of India Limited (RCIL) is a CPSE (Central Public Sector Enterprises). It functions under the Ministry of Railways.
- On 22nd May 2018, Ministry of Railways signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with MRVC. MRVC is expanded as _____Railway Vikas Corporation Ltd?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mumbai
The MoU was signed by Railway Board Secretary, Ranjanesh Sahai and Chairman and Managing Director of MRVC, R S Khurana. They fixed the targets for 18-19 for several major activities of suburban projects. According to targets under the MoU, MRVC will spend Rs. 1464 crore on completion of several suburban projects of capacity enhancement, safety up-gradation and passenger amenities. These projects will help in making the suburban commute of Mumbai people fast, safe and comfortable. Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation Ltd (MRVC) is a Joint venture of Ministry of Railways and the Government of Maharashtra.
- On 22nd May 2018, Ministry of Railways and IRCON signed an MoU. What is the full form of IRCON?
1.Indian Railway Communication Company International Ltd
2.Indian Railway Construction Company International Ltd
3.Indian Railway Construction Committee International Ltd
4.Indian Railway Construction Council International Ltd
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Indian Railway Construction Company International Ltd
IRCON is a CPSE (Central Public Sector Enterprises) under the Ministry of Railways. It executes various Rail, Road & other construction sector projects in India and abroad. The MoU was signed by Railway Board Secretary, Ranjanesh Sahai and IRCON, Chairman and Managing Director, S.K. Chaudhary. They set both financial and physical targets for 18-19 for several major Projects. According to the MoU, IRCON has projected revenue from operations of Rs. 4200 crore and other targets for important National projects like USBRL project, Jogbani – Biratnagar Rail Link, Jainagar – Bijalpura, Shivpuri Guna and Bikaner – Phalodi Highway Project etc.
- The ____ will launch a multi-lingual mobile application to enable people all over India to share evidence of malpractice by political parties, their candidates and activists, directly with the electoral body, prior to the 2019 Lok Sabha elections?
1.Ministry of Human Resource Development
4.Ministry of Science and Technology
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Election Commission
Chief Election Commissioner O.P. Rawat said that a similar application, named Model Code of Conduct Violation Reporting App, was launched for the first time in Bengaluru ahead of the recent Karnataka Assembly elections. The application is a part of initiatives taken by the Election Commission to prevent abuse of money and muscle power. It enables sharing of photos and short audio and video clips from the spot itself. The app will also be made available before the upcoming Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh.
- On 22nd May 2018, name the Polish author who won the Man Booker International Prize for her novel “Flights”, at an event in in Victoria and Albert Museum in London?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Olga Tokarczuk
Olga Tokarczuk is 56 years old. She is a bestselling author from Poland. The novel Flight talks about travels in the 21st century and human anatomy. The prize amount is 50,000 British Pounds. This award is given to the best work of translated fiction from all over the world. The prize money is equally divided between the writer and the translator. Flights was translated by Jennifer Croft. It was published by Fitzcarraldo Editions.
- On May 23,2018, BRICS forum awarded “BRICS Business Forum Leadership Award” for Lifetime Achievement to which late actress?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sridevi
Reena Marwah, sister of actor-producer Boney Kapoor, husband of late Sridevi, received the award and memento from Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Jitendra Singh and Larisa Zelentsova, President of the International Alliance of BRICS (Strategic Projects) and Representative in ECOSOC UN. She was earlier posthumously honoured with the ‘Best Actress’ award for her performance in her last movie ‘Mom’, at 65th National Film Awards held in New Delhi.
- On 22nd May 2018, who was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of South Sudan?
1.P. V. Suresh
2.S. D. Moorthy
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.S. D. Moorthy
S. D. Moorthy (YOA: 2006) is at present Deputy Secretary at Headquarters. He has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of South Sudan. He will take up the new assignment very soon.
- On 23rd May 2018, name the person who was sworn in as Karnataka’s 24th chief minister?
1.B. S. Yediyurappah
3.H D Kumaraswamy
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.H D Kumaraswamy
Congress state president G Parameshwara was sworn in as deputy chief minister of Karnataka. HD Kumaraswamy was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Karnataka governor Vajubhai Vala in front of the Vidhana Soudha in Bengaluru. This is Kumarawamy’s second term as Karnataka chief minister since 2007.
- On 22nd May 2018, ____ launched two new Earth science satellites for NASA and five Iridium Next communications satellites into orbit?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.SpaceX
This ride-share mission took off on a pre-flown Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. Nearly 12 minutes after take off, the rocket’s second stage deployed twin satellites for NASA’s Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment Follow-On (GRACE-FO) mission into a near-polar orbit. The second stage then ignited its engines one more time and went for a higher orbit to drop off the five Iridium Next satellites. NASA confirmed contact with both GRACE-FO satellites after launch through the McMurdo tracking station in Antarctica.
- On 23rd May 2018, which former South Africa captain announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket?
1.A B de Villiers
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.A B de Villiers
A B de Villiers is 34 years old. He has played 114 Tests, 228 ODIs and 78 T20 Internationals for South Africa. His average is over 50 in both the Tests and ODIs. He made his Test debut against England in 2004. He has been one of the star performers of South Africa.
- Name the person who has been made the women’s cricket representative of International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket Committee?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Belinda Clark
Belinda Clark has been made the women’s cricket representative. She replaces Clare Connor who has finished her third and final three-year term. Belinda Clark is former Australian women’s team captain. Kyle Coezter has been appointed as the Associate Members representative. He succeeds Ireland’s Kevin O’Brien. Kyle Coezter is the Scotland skipper. Mike Hesson has been made the Full Member team coach representative. He succeeds Darren Lehmann. Mike Hesson is the New Zealand national team coach. All the three have been appointed to the committee for an initial term of 3 years.
- On 23rd May 2018, Gujarati writer and humourist ____ passed away at his home after a long term illness, in Ahmedabad, Gujarat?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Vinod Bhatt
Vinod Bhatt was 80 years old. He was well known for his newspaper column ‘Mag Nu Naam Mari’. He worked as a tax consultant and also continued writing. He was the president of Gujarati Sahitya Parishad from 1996 to 1997. He had also written over 45 books in various genres like satire, comedy and biography.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Dhyan Chand National Stadium located?Delhi
- Name the CEO and headquarters of HDFC Bank?CEO – Aditya Puri, Headquarters – Mumbai
- Who is the Chief Election Commissioner of India?Om Prakash Rawat
- Who is the CEO of SpaceX?Elon Musk
- Name the Chairman of Defence Acquisition Council (DAC)?Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman