AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which city has become the most vulnerable cities to cyberattacks in 2019 as per the report titled “The Annual Threat Report 2019” by Quick Heal Security Labs ?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai
Recently, Quick Heal Security Labs in its report titled “The Annual Threat Report 2019” has disclosed that Mumbai topped the list of 15-city which are more vulnerable to cyberattcks in 2019. The other two cities which followed Mumbai are: Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, and Pune.The report has also revealed that Maharashtra, Delhi and West Bengal are the top three states which are prone to cyber attacks.
- Which country topped in the Kids Right Index 2019, released by Kids Right Foundation recently?
3) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Iceland
Recently, the annual global index named Kids Right Index has ranked countries on the basis of how much they adhere to and are equipped to improve child rights. Iceland topped the ranking followed by Portugal.
- What is the rank of India, in the Kids Right Index 2019 released by Kids Right Foundation?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 117
Recently, the annual global index named Kids Right Index has ranked countries on the basis of how much they adhere to and are equipped to improve child rights. India ranked 117th out of 181 countries and Iceland topped the ranking followed by Portugal.
- Which country has launched a permanent residency scheme to grant permanent residency to investors and exceptional doctors, engineers, scientists and artists?
1) United Arab Emirates(UAE)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) United Arab Emirates(UAE)
The United Arab Emirates has launched ‘golden card’ permanent residency scheme to woo wealthy investors and exceptional talents such as doctors, engineers, scientists, students, and artist. This move can attract Indian professionals and businessmen to UAE and total 6,800 people will get the benefit of the scheme under the first round of applications. The program was launched by UAE Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum.
- ETCD was in news recently, what does C stands for ________ ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Commodity
C stands for Commodity in Exchange-traded commodity derivatives (ETCD).
- Which Indian regulatory body allows mutual funds to invest in Exchange-traded commodity derivatives (ETCD) ?
1) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority(IRDAI)
2) Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
3) Reserve Bank of India(RBI)
4) National Securities Depository Limited(NSDL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has given its consent for the participation of mutual funds (MF) in exchange-traded commodity derivatives (ETCD) except sensitive commodities. The participation of MFs is allowed through hybrid schemes, which include the multi-asset scheme and gold ETFs (Exchange-traded fund). The decision has been taken to boost participation of mutual funds in the commodities market. For participation in ETCDs, the unitholders of the existing scheme would be given minimum of 30 days to exercise the option to exit at prevailing net asset value (NAV) without any exit load charges.
- Name the customized product launched by Karnataka Bank for salaried class.
1) KAB SB Salary
2) KB SB Salary
3) KA SB Salary
4) KBL SB Salary
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) KBL SB Salary
Karnataka Bank has launched a customized product for the salaried class. The new savings bank product, KBL SB Salary has been designed with three variants namely SB Salary Executive, SB Salary Prime, and SB Salary Classic to cater the financial needs of the ‘employer-employee ecosystem’. Its major features include- No annual charge on Debit Cards, Unlimited free access to Karnataka Bank ATMs, Free Cash Deposit facility across all branches, Free Fund Transfer within the Bank, Free NEFT & RTGS through Internet and Mobile Banking, Free Outstation Cheque Collection, No Annual Fee on Demat & Trading Accounts Also, bank will provide an insurance coverage of up to Rs 50,000 without any charges against chain snatching, theft and burglary for women employees falling in the top category of the salary scheme.
- In which sector bank credit grew by 18.5 per cent to Rs 10.55 lakh crore as of 2018-19 as per Reserve Bank of India(RBI)’s data?
1) Infrastructure Sector
2) Manufacturing Sector
3) Food and Beverages Sector
4) Educational Sector
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Infrastructure Sector
In accordance with the data compiled by Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the bank credit has been mounted by 18.5% to Rs 10.55 lakh crore for infrastructure in financial year 2018-19. It is highest since 2012-13 fiscal. Other hikes within Infra Sector Loans to the power sector had increased by 5% to Rs 5.69 lakh crore compared to Rs 5.19 lakh crore in FY18. Credit growth to roads sector mounted 2% to Rs 1.86 lakh crore as of end-March 2019. Credit to telecommunications and other infrastructure (excluding above) rose by 7% and 53.5%, respectively over FY18, the RBI data showed.
- Name the public sector bank, which has collaborated with FMCG arm of The Art of Living, to provide a discount of 15% to its customers.
1) Indian Bank
2) Union Bank of India
3) State Bank of India (SBI)
4) Canara Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) State Bank of India (SBI)
State Bank of India (SBI) has tied up with the FMCG arm of The Art of Living, Sri Sri Tattva under which SBI’s YONO users can avail a discount of 15% on the entire range of products offered by Sri Sri Tattva such as food, personal care, healthcare, homecare, BYOGI apparels and Shankara skincare products. YONO is an integrated digital banking platform of SBI.
- What is the deadline set by Food Safety and Standards Authority in India (FSSAI) for the small organic producers, having an annual turnover, over Rs 12 lakh to sell their products directly to customers without certification?
1) May 2020
2) April 2020
3) June 2020
4) Jan 2020
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) April 2020
Recently, Food Safety and Standards Authority in India (FSSAI) has allowed ‘small organic producers’ which are having an annual turnover, over Rs 12 lakh can sell their products directly to customers without certification till April 2020. However, they can’t use Jaivik Bharat Logo on their product.The Jaivik Bharat Logo is a kind of identity mark which is used to distinguish organic products from non-organic ones.
- Which organization has reduced the global growth forecast to 3.2% from earlier 3.3% recently?
1) International Monetary Fund(IMF)
2) Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries(OPEC)
3) United Nation
4) Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Recently, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has reduced the global growth forecast to 3.2% as compared to earlier forecast of 3.3% due to US-China trade war.OECD has also cut the forecast for US growth by 0.2% to 2.8% this year. However, for next year OECD has predicted a slowdown to 2.3%.
- Name the entity, that has signed a defence contract worth of Rs 300 crore with Indian Navy for implement Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) based Access Control System.
1) Tech Mahindra
2) Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd ( HAL)
3) Bharat Electronics Ltd ( BEL)
4) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Tech Mahindra
Tech Mahindra signed a defence contract worth of Rs 300 crore with Indian Navy. Under ‘Armed Forces Secure Access Card’ (AFSAC) Project, Tech Mahindra will implement Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) based Access Control System across all naval bases and ships. The new Access Control System named ‘Armed Forces Secure Access Card’ (AFSAC) Card will replace the existing paper-based identity cards for all Navy personnel which also includes dependents and ex-servicemen. Tech Mahindra will develop a secure application which will manage the access control devices, network devices, and the AFSAC Card by using the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) level 5.
- Indian economy is projected to ______ percent for the fiscal year 2020 as per the United Nations(UN) ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 7.1%
According to the report of the United Nations, India’s economy is projected to grow at 7.1% in the fiscal year 2020 as a result of strong domestic consumption and investment. It is a downward revision from 7.4% which was estimated in January 2019.As per the World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update, the Indian economy expanded by 7.2% in 2018. Domestic consumption and investment are estimated at 7% in 2019 and 7.1% in 2020.
- Who was conferred with the John F Kennedy(JFK) Profile in Courage Award 2019?
1) Hillary Clinton
2) Nancy Pelosi
3) Chuck Schumer
4) Donald Trump
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nancy Pelosi
The USA’s House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi received John F Kennedy (JFK) Profile in Courage Award 2019. She is honoured for her efforts to pass 2010 health care law of former President Barack Obama’s governance and for helping Democrats reclaim control of the U.S. House during 2018 elections. She has presented the award at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston on May 19, 2019.She has served USA’s House of Representatives since 1987.
- Sherpa Kami Rita was in news recently,he was a ___________?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mountaineer
On May 21, 2019, Nepali Sherpa Kami Rita climbed the Mt Everest for 24th time beating his own record within a week. On May 15, 2019, he had made a record by climbing the 8,848-metre mountain for the 23rd time. He successfully climbed the mountain from the Nepal side. Rita is the resident of Thame village of Solukhumbu district.For the first time, he had scaled the mountain in the year 1994.In 2017, he became the third person to climb the highest peak for 21 times along with the record held by Apa Sherpa and Phurba Tashi Sherpa.
- Name the Indian Sculptor, who was ranked first in Hurun India Art List 2019.
1) Anish Kapoor
2) Akbar Padamsee
3) Krishen Khanna
4) Jogen Chowdhury
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Anish Kapoor
Sculptor Anish Kapoor was ranked first on Hurun India Art List 2019 with estimated sales of Rs. 168.25 crore. Hurun India Art List 2019 was released by Hurun Research Institute with the ranking of the top 50 Indian artists alive based on the sales of their works at public auctions from April 2018 to March 2019. The next positions were held by Akbar Padamsee whose 38 works were sold for Rs. 45.84 crore. He was followed by Krishen Khanna with sales of 44 works of Rs. 9.48 crore. One of his works “Tash ke Patte”(Deck of Cards) which was a collaborative work of 100 artists was sold for $365 million in 2017.
- Which entity has become the India’s biggest firm in terms of revenue by overtaking Indian Oil Corporation(IOC) ?
1) Hindustan Unilever
2) Larsen & Toubro
3) Reliance Industries Limited(RIL)
4) Tata Group
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Reliance Industries Limited(RIL)
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), headed by Mukesh Ambani, became India’s biggest firm in terms of revenue by overtaking Indian Oil Corporation (IOC). Reliance Industries reported a turnover of Rs. 6.23 lakh crore for the financial year ended March 31 whereas Indian Oil Corporation’s turnover was Rs. 6.17 lakh crore.Reliance Industries was the most profitable company in the country with a net profit of more than double that of IOC in FY 2019. Its net profit was Rs.39,588 crore compared to IOC’s net profit of Rs.17,274 crore.It has achieved this position in terms of 3 parameters. They are revenue, profit, and market capitalization.
- Name the former Indian Foreign Secretary, who was honoured with the Japan’s second highest national award “Order Of The Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star Award”.
1) Jyotindra Nath Dixit
2) Nirupama Rao
3) Syed Akbaruddin
4) Shyam Saran
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Shyam Saran
On May 21, 2019, The Government of Japan in its 2019 Spring Imperial Decorations announced that former Indian Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran, aged 72, will be honoured with Japan’s ‘Order Of The Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star Award’. It is Japan’s second highest national award established by the Japanese Emperor Meiji in 1875. Shyam Saran is conferred with this award for his contributions in strengthening the strategic ties and enhancing mutual understanding between India and Japan and since 2017, “India-Japan Colloquium” is hosted in this regard.He served as the Foreign Secretary for the period from 2004 to 2006. During his tenure, Junichiro Koizumi, the then Prime Minister of Japan, visited India for first time in 5 years.
- Mueenul Haq appointed as High Commissioner to India, he belongs to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pakistan
Prime Minister of Pakistan, Imran Khan approved the appointment of Mueenul Haq as High Commissioner to India. He Succeeded Sohail Mehmood, who was appointed as Pakistan’s new foreign secretary.Haq currently serves as the ambassador to France, earlier he served as chief of protocol at the Foreign Office.
- Name the earth observation satellite, which was launched by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) recently .
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) RISAT-2B
Recently, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched earth observation satellite RISAT-2B (Radar Imaging Satellite-2B), from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh which will enhance country’s surveillance capabilities.
- By using which satellite launch vehicle, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched earth observation satellite RISAT-2B recently ?
1) Augmented Satellite Launch Vehicle(ASLV)
2) Reusable Launch Vehicle TD
3) Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)C-46
4) Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) MK III
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)C-46
Recently, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C-46 carrying earth observation satellite RISAT-2B (Radar Imaging Satellite-2B), from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh which will enhance country’s surveillance capabilities. This was PSLV’s 48th mission which carried a 615kg satellite.
- Researchers from which space agency, has discovered the mixture of methanol, water ice and organic molecules on the surface of the Ultima Thule ?
1) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
2) Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO)
3) European Space Agency(ESA)
4) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Researchers at National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) have discovered a mixture of methanol, water ice and organic molecules found on the surface of the Ultima Thule. The research has been published in Journal Science.Ultima Thule, also known as 2014 MU69, is a trans-Neptunian object located in the Kuiper belt. It is 4 billion miles away from Earth.Data is collected from the New Horizons spacecraft and it is analyzed by NASA scientists. They have also found the largest depression of 5-mile-wide (8-kilometer-wide) which has been nicknamed as Maryland crater.
- What is the redefined constant for kilogram, which is decided during General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) ?
1) Boltzmann constant
2) Planck constant
3) Avogadro constant
4) Character constant
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Planck constant
On the occasion of World Metrology Day i.e. on 20th May 2019, the world’s scientific and technical community has adopted the resolution to redefine four of the seven base units.
Name Symbol Measure Defining constants of the SI are Post 2019 Kilogram Kg Mass Planck constant h Ampere A Electric current Elementary charge e Kelvin K Thermodynamic temperature Boltzmann constant k Mole Mol Amount of substance Avogadro constant, NA
- Name the book published by Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Physical Laboratory of India recently\.
1) Meteorology for Scientists and Engineers: A Technical Companion Book to C. Donald Ahrens’ Meteorology Today
2) Glossary of Meteorology
3) Redefined SI Units and Glimpses of NPL Metrological Activities
4) Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Redefined SI Units and Glimpses of NPL Metrological Activities
CSIR-NPL also published a book entitled, “Redefined SI Units and Glimpses of NPL Metrological Activities”. India’s CSIR (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research)-NPL (National Physical Laboratory of India) has accepted the redefined SI units and also made recommendations on the following: Proposed changes to be incorporated in the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi textbooks. Proposed changes to be incorporated in syllabi of metrology courses in graduate engineering and academic courses being taught in All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), and other academic institutes.
- Researchers from which university has developed microscope for surgery without cutting skin ?
1) University of British Columbia(UBC)
2) Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3) University of Technology Sydney
4) Harvard University
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) University of British Columbia(UBC)
Group of researchers from the University of British Columbia (UBC) has developed the microscope for performing surgery without cutting skin. It was published in the journal “Science Advances” titled “Precise closure of single blood vessels via multiphoton absorption–based photothermolysis”.The device is a specialized type of multiphoton excitation microscope that allows imaging of living tissue up to about one millimeter in depth using an ultrafast infrared laser beam, that can both scan skin and perform surgery by intensifying the heat its beam produces.
- Brooks Koepka was in news recently, he belongs to which sport?
2) Table Tennis
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Golf
Brooks Koepka was American professional golfer.He returned to world No.1 after winning US PGA Championship victory at Bethpage Black, New York. i. He won four major titles and became the first man to ever hold back-to-back titles. ii. He won 2018 PGA TOUR Player of the Year and Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year 2014.
- Name the deceased historian, researcher, writer and educationist, who was popularly known for the animation film ‘Ek Anek Aur Ekta’.
1) Bimal Roy
2) Satyajit Ray
3) Vijaya Mulay
4) Ritwik Ghatak
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Vijaya Mulay
Vijaya Mulay, a documentary filmmaker, film historian, writer, educationist, and researcher passed away at the age of 98 in South Delhi. She was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra. She was popularly known for her animation film Ek Anek Aur Ekta which won her National Film Award for Best Educational Film.Several accolades received by her: Shantaram Award for Lifetime Achievement for documentaries at the Mumbai International Film Festival. Vikram Sarabhai Life Time Achievement award for educational communication in 1999. National award for best writing on cinema for her work, From Rajahs and Yogis to Gandhi and Beyond: Images of India in International Films of the Twentieth Century.
- Who is the author of the book titled “Coming Round the Mountain”?
1) R.K. Narayan
2) Ruskin Bond
3) Khushwant Singh
4) Mulk Raj Anand
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ruskin Bond
On May 19, Ruskin Bond, on his 85th birthday launched new memoir titled “Coming Round the Mountain”. India’s beloved children’s author officially released the book at Cambridge bookstores in Mussourie, Uttarakhand. The book has been published by Penguin India. “Coming Round the Mountain” is the third installment of Ruskin Bond’s award-winning memoir series for children, prior being “Looking for the Rainbow” and “Till the Clouds Roll By”. This book will deal with Bond’s story as a boy of thirteen during the crucial year of India’s partition. ii. Other books written by Ruskin Bond include ” The Room on the Roof”, ” The Blue Umbrella”, “A Flight of Pigeons”, ” Rusty, the Boy from the Hills”, ” A Handful of Nuts” and many more.
- What was the theme of the International Day of Biological Diversity 2019?
1) Theme – “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”
2) Theme – “Celebrating 25 years of Action for Biodiversity”
3) Theme – “Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health”
4) Theme – “Mainstreaming Biodiversity: Sustaining People and their Livelihoods”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health”
International Day of Biological Diversity (IDB) was celebrated on May 22. It was declared by the United Nations to raise awareness and increase understanding of biodiversity issues. The theme of this year is ” Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health”. As a part of celebrations, the Convention on Biological Diversity has partnered with the Slow Food International, an organization that promotes local food and traditional cooking. The theme ” Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health” is aimed at spreading knowledge and awareness of the dependency of our food systems, nutrition and health on biodiversity and healthy ecosystems.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- What is the Capital and Currency of Iceland?Capital: Reykjavik & Currency: Iceland Krona
- Who is the President of United Arab Emirates(UAE) ?Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- What is the tagline of Karnataka Bank?Your Family Bank, Across India
- Who is the Managing Director of State Bank of India ?PK Gupta
- Where is the headquarter of Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) located?Paris, France