AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 22 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 22,2018, Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a workshop on the theme “Ganga and its Biodiversity: Developing a Road Map for Habitat and Species Conservation” on river Ganga in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.New Delhi
On May 22,2018, Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a day-long workshop on the theme “Ganga and its Biodiversity: Developing a Road Map for Habitat and Species Conservation” on river Ganga in New Delhi. This was organized by by World Wildlife Fund (WWF). He also released a report on “Status of Conservation of Select Aquatic Species”. A database of ‘Ganga Praharis’, a self-motivated cadre, being created by Wildlife Institute of India (WII) was also launched by the Minister.
- On May 22, 2018, the South-Western command Chetak Corps are engaged in intense training exercise called ‘Gandiv Vijay’ in which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rajasthan
The exercise began on March and will end in May 23 2018. It is a multi-mode exercise from dispersed locations to the time and place of decision in a terrain of operational responsibility of the formation. This was carried out in the Mahajan field firing ranges close to Suratgarh.
- On 21st May 2018, an Alliance Air flight that started off from Kolkata reached Pasighat advanced landing ground, becoming the first fixed-wing commercial flight to ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Arunachal Pradesh
This flight is a part of the UDAN (Ude Desh ke Aam Nagarik) scheme. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu became its first passenger. The flight will operate three times a week. It will connect Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh and the Gopinath Bordoi Airport in Guwahati, Assam. From Guwahati, passengers can fly to other parts of India. The civilian terminal at Pasighat airport was inaugurated on 21st May 2018 by Pema Khandu.
- On 22nd May 2018, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that, which state will get a specialised anti-Naxal combat force named the “Black Panther” in line with the Greyhounds unit?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Chhattisgarh
Rajnath Singh Singh made this announcement at a meeting in Naya Raipur. Greyhounds is a special force in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh that is specialised in anti-insurgency operations against Naxals and Maoists. He said that, the government is making all possible efforts to stop the resource flow to the Maoists, including seizure of illegally procured properties.
- On May 22, 2018, Telangana Irrigation Minister T Harish Rao said that, the Telangana government has completed rejuvenation of ____ tanks in Telangana under its Mission Kakatiya programme?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.18,000
T Harish Rao made this announcement at a convention on ‘Rejuvenation of Krishna river’ organised by the Telangana Water Resources Development Corporation (TWRDC). He said that, ground water level in Telangana has increased with the rejuvenation of tanks.
- On 22nd May 2018, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone of the Southern Campus of NIDM at Kondapavuluru Village, Gannavaram Mandal, Krishna District of Andhra Pradesh. Expand NIDM?
1.National Institute of Defence Management
2.National Institute of Disaster Management
3.National Institute of Design and Management
4.National Institute of Doctoral Medicine
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.National Institute of Disaster Management
NIDM is a Government institute under Ministry of Home Affairs. In line with the Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act 2014, it has set up a Southern Campus in Andhra Pradesh. At present, an interim setup of NIDM Southern Campus is functioning in Andhra Pradesh Human Resource Development Institute (APHRDI) Campus at Bapatla, Guntur. Andhra Pradesh government has allotted 10 acres of land to NIDM for setting up of its permanent Southern Campus at Kondapavuluru Village. The Central Government has approved setting up of the South Campus at a cost of Rs. 36.76.
- On May 22, 2018, India received the 1st cargo of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) crude oil for its ____ Strategic Petroleum Reserve?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mangalore
In February 2018, during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to UAE,ISPRL and ADNOC signed an Agreement for storing 5.68 million barrels of crude oil. This is to be stored in the Mangaluru facility of India SPR for emergency and distribution purposes. Apart from this the minister of oil Dharmendra Pradhan flagged off 2 million barrels of oil for India. The centre has built crude oil storage facilities with total capacity of 5.33 Million Tonnes (MT) at three locations under phase I of the ‘SPR programme’ including 1.33MT at Vishakhapatnam, 1.5 MW at Mangalore and 2.5 MT at Padur.
- On May 22,2018, The Prime Minister of India Shri. Narendra Modi met the President of Russia Mr. Vladmir Putin for the first informal summit in which city of Russia?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sochi
Highlights of the discussions:
Talks ofcounter terrorism, strategic partnership for global peace and stability, to continue working though the multilateral organizations like UN, SCO, BRICS and G-20. Agreement for strategic economic dialogue between NITI Aaoygand Russia’s Ministry of Economic Development for better trade and investment. Agreement on the first consignment of LNG under a long-term agreement between Gazprom and GAIL. For better partnership in military , security and nuclear energy fields.
- The BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) plans to launch Americas Regional Office in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Brazil
It is done to increase the operational capabilities of NDB in Brazil . This will help in identification and preparation of bankable projects in Brazil. Apart from this there is another centre: The African Regional Centre in Johannesburg , South Africa.
- The United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency (NCA) has placed which country among the top three sources for money laundering in the United Kingdom?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Pakistan
Nigeria and Russia are the other two countries in the top 3 sources of money laundering in UK. The NCA report states that the UK is a major destination for foreign corrupt and politically exposed people to launder money. It has identified trade misinvoicing as one of the major mechanisms used for such operations. NCA had produced a report named “National Strategic Assessment of Serious and Organized Crime 2018”.
- On May 22,2018 , which bank started major operations at GIFT city?
1.Bank of Baroda
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bank of Baroda
The bank will now offer its services including retail loan processing, deposit account openingin this Shared Service Centre (SSC). It will have a staff strength of 200. The bank will become one of the largestemployers in the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar region. The bank had taken 20,000 sq, ftof office space in GIFT City, making it the first Indian bank to move several key operations to the smart city.
- On May 22,2018, which bank signed agreement with CDSL Commodity Repository (CCRL) for pledge finance under the repository ecosystem for registered / accredited warehouses?
1.Bank Of Baroda
2.Bank of Maharashtra
4.State Bank of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bank Of Baroda
This agreement is for pledge financeunder the repository ecosystem for registered / accredited warehouses. The new ecosystem will boost confidence among bankers and other stakeholders like depositors and warehouse service providers. This will also provide various features to its stakeholders such as seamless transfer of ownership of commodity by the depositors, splitting of warehouse receipt by the depositors, real time and ease of access of information by the banks that will help them reduce their TAT in processing the loans and marking the pledge on the commodity.
- On May 22, 2018, MCX launched India’s first copper options. What does “M” represent in MCX?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Multi
MCX – Multi Commodity Exchange of India
The contracts are available for trading with one MCX copper futures contract (1MT) as the bottom-line. In order to encourage active participation in the market the exchange is not levying any transaction fees on all the commodity options contracts till September 30, 2018. Copper ranks as the third-most-consumed industrial metal in the world, after iron and aluminium.
- On May 22, 2018 , The Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Rajiv Kumar said that the Indian economy and business will grow to a ____ % growth rate by 2022?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.9
This was possible because of the reforms like GSTand demonetization and the Insolvency and Bankrupty Code (IBC). Also encouraging electric vehicleswill aid in the improvement as petrol prices are growing to a USD 80 per barrel. The NITI Aayog is working on projects to demonstrate that farmers income can be doubled by 2022. Indian economy grew by 6.6% in 2017-18 and is expected to grow by 7.5% in 2018-19 fiscal.
- On May 22,2018 ,Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) will begin its operations in Nagayalanka block in Krishna District of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Andhra Pradesh
This will be inaugurated by ONGC CMD Mr. Shashi Shankerin the site near the Bhavadevarapalli Village. This Early production System (EPS)will cost Rs. 6804 crore . For environmental protection an amount of Rs. 340 crore has been spent. The ONGC initially targeted developing of three wells and one EPS, whose handling capacity is drilling of 379 cum/per dayof crude oil and 0.145 Million Standard cubic feet of gas per day.
- On 21st May 2018, ____ agreed to buy ownership stake in GlobalLogic from Funds advised by Apax Partners?
3.Aditya Birla Group
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Partners Group
The deal size was not revealed by the companies. After acquisition, Partners Group will become an equal shareholder with existing investor, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB). GlobalLogic is a digital product engineering services company. It enables clients to develop digital products that improve customer engagement, and create new revenue streams.
- On 22nd May 2018, where was the Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association (MSLTA) annual awards presented?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mumbai
Some of the MSLTA annual award winners for their performances in 2017 -2018 are:
• Asian junior Champion Mihika Yadav
• India’s No 5 Men’s player Arjun Kadhe
• India’s No 4 women’s player Rutuja Bhosale
• National Sub junior Champion Rutuja Chaphalkar
• India’s No 1 junior Siddhant Banthia
ii. The top 3 players in each age group in Maharashtra were awarded scholarships worth Rs. 11 lakhs and funds for international training.
- On May 22, 2018, BHEL said that it has appointed ____ as part-time official director on its board?
2.Pravin L Agrawal
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Pravin L Agrawal
Pravin Agrawal is an Indian Forest Service officer. Currently he is joint secretary in the Department of Heavy Industry (DHI), Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises. He is 49 years old. BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.) is a State-run power equipment making company.
- Who was elected as the President of Venezuela for a second term on 20th May 2018?
2.Nicolas Mada Bio
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Nicolas Maduro
Nicolas Maduro won the presidential election with nearly 67% votes. He has won a new six-year term as President of Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro is 55 years old. He is a former bus driver. In 2013, he replaced Hugo Chavez as President of Venezuela.
- Name the Indian-origin lawyer and politician in Malaysia who has become the first Sikh in Malaysia to be appointed as a Cabinet minister?
2.Gobind Singh Deo
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Gobind Singh Deo
Gobind Singh Deo is 44 years old. He has been allotted the communications and multimedia portfolio. Another Indian-origin lawmaker M Kulasegaran from the Democratic Action Party (DAP) has been made the human resource minister in the Cabinet by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.
- On May 22,2018, which software company announced its acquisition of Magento for USD 1.68 billion?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Adobe
Magentowas founded in 2008 and had been earlier acquired by eBay in 2011 first and then went private in 2015. it works in B2B and B2C context and will help Adobe to compete with salesforce and provide functionality in e-commerce space. The acquisition will help Adobe to work on consumers in the company’s Experience Cloud. The deal is also seen as a way of Microsoft and Adobe coming closer as they will be able to collaborate better against Salesforce.
- On May 22, 2018, scientists have discovered the first intersteller immigrant, which is an asteroid named ____?
1.(514107) 2015 BZ509
2.DX 1112 45767
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.(514107) 2015 BZ509
An Asteroid named (514107) 2015 BZ509 has a different origin other than our solar system because the object moves in a direction opposite to that of all the objects in our solar system. This is the second asteroid that is causing stir after the ‘Oumuamua’ asteroid. The discovery could shed light on a range of mysteries about how our solar system, planets and perhaps even life itself were formed. Dr. Fathi Namouni is the lead in this study group.
- Scientists have found out a drug named ____ that could prevent the brain damage caused by exposure to cosmic radiation?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.PLX5622
Study regarding this was published in the journal Scientific Reports. Researchers have found that the drug prevents memory impairment in mice exposed to simulated space radiation. Human beings travelling beyond the Earth’s protective magnetic fields will be exposed to cosmic radiation nearly 1000 times higher than that on Earth. The “PLX5622” has shown positive result on mice. Through this drug it would be possible to make advancements in deep space exploration.
- On May 22, 2018, Commonwealth medal winner and Table Tennis Star Manika Batra and weightlifter Mirabai Chanu signed multi-year agreement with ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.IOS Sports
IOS will now manage their endorsements, appearances, brand profiling, patents, licensing and digital rights, images, and visibility on social networking sites, the company stated in a media release. It will be managing their brand portfolio and commercial activities in a professional way. With this deal, Manika and Mirabai join the likes of boxing stars MC Mary Kom, Vijender Singh and Saina Nehwal on the IOS roster.
- On 20th May 2018, who won the Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship in Coimbatore?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bala Prasath
Bengaluru’s Sohil finished in the second place in the final round. Chennai’s Nirmal Umashankar finished in the third position. Bala Prasath hails from Coimbatore. The Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship is organised by MECO Motorsports. It was introduced in 2016 as a platform to drivers coming out of the winter season to prepare for the National Championships.
- On 22nd May 2018, which footballer was announced as England’s captain at the World Cup in Russia?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Harry Kane
Harry Kane is 24 years old. He has scored 12 goals in 23 international appearances. He first captained England in the last summer’s 2-2 World Cup qualifier in Scotland.
- On 22nd May 2018, Bansidhar Panda who died at his home in Bhubaneswar, Odisha was a ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Industrialist
Bansidhar Panda was 87 years old. He founded Indian Metal and Ferro Alloys (IMFA) in 1961. He was a major contributor in instituting Sarala Award for literature and Ekalabya Puruskar for sports.
- What was the theme of International Bio-diversity Day that was celebrated on 22nd May 2018?
1.Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity
3.Conserve and Celebrate Biodiversity
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity
The UN General Assembly declared 22 May as the International Day for Biological Diversity in 2000. This marks the day in which Convention on Biological Diversity was adopted. The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) is celebrated to create awareness on biodiversity issues like habitat destruction, marine pollution, climate change etc. The theme for International Bio-diversity Day 2018 is: Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity.
- On 23rd of March 2018, ____ was recognised by Economic Times as the “Most Promising brand 2018”?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Greenlight Planet
Greenlight Planet has been recognised by Economic Times as the “Most Promising brand 2018” at a ceremony held on Friday, the 23rd of March 2018. The Promising Brands platform was an endeavour by the Economic Times to recognize brands, which have stood firm in the winds of globalization and have truly become a part of popular culture and day to day lives.
- On 22nd May 2018, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare J P Nadda reviewed cases due to which Virus in Kerala?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nipah
he Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Shri J P Nadda is closely monitoringthe situation arising out of reported cases and deaths due to Nipah Virus in Kerala. He has reviewed it with Secretary (HFW) Ms. Preeti Sudan and DG (ICMR) Dr.BalramBhargavaand has directed for all support to be extended to Kerala in its prevention and management.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Bornadi Wildlife Sanctuary located?Assam
- What is the tag line of Oriental Bank of Commerce?Where every individual is committed
- Who is the CEO of NITI Aayog?Amitabh Kant
- Ranjit Sagar Dam has been constructed on which river?Ravi River
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Airports Authority of India (AAI)?Chairman – Dr. Guruprasad Mohapatra; Headquarters – New Delhi