AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where was the 8th edition of Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) inaugurated?
1) Western Naval Command, Mumbai
2) Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam
3) Southern Naval Command, Kochi
4) Andaman & Nicobar Command, Port Blair
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andaman & Nicobar Command, Port Blair
The 8th Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) has started at Andaman and Nicobar Command in Port Blair which will be held from May 20 to 28, 2019.The CORPAT initiative was first started in 2013.The Myanmar delegation was led by Commodore Htein Win, Ayeyarwady Naval Command and Indian delegation was led by Cmde Ashutosh Ridhorkar, VSM, Naval Component Commander.The ships of both countries will patrol along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) of two countries covering a distance around 725 km in 4 days.The objective of the CORPAT is to address issues of terrorism, illegal fishing, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc. and to enhance the mutual understanding and fostered improved professional interaction between the two navies for maritime interoperability.
- Naval ships UMS King TabinShweHtee and UMS Inlay was in news recently, these ships belong to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Myanmar
The 8th Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) has started at Andaman and Nicobar Command in Port Blair which will be held from May 20 to 28, 2019.Myanmar Navy Ship UMS King TabinShweHtee (773) and UMS Inlay (OPV-54) participated in the patrol.
- Name the Indian Naval ship, which participated in 8th Indo-Myanmar coordinated patrol (IMCOR) .
1) INS Sumedha
2) INS Sunayna
3) INS Saryu
4) INS Sumitra
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) INS Saryu
Indian Naval Ship Saryu participated in 8th Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR). The CORPAT initiative was first started in 2013.The Myanmar delegation was led by Commodore Htein Win, Ayeyarwady Naval Command and Indian delegation was led by Cmde Ashutosh Ridhorkar, VSM, Naval Component Commander.The ships of both countries will patrol along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) of two countries covering a distance around 725 km in 4 days.
- Which ministry organized the 7th Edition of Economic Census (7th EC) in New Delhi?
1) Ministry of Urban Development
2) Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation
3) Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
4) Ministry of Human Resource Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation
As a run-up to the 7th Edition of Economic Census (7th EC), its Master trainers (enumerators and supervisors) were imparted training during the “National Training Workshop of Master Trainers” which was organized by Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI) in New Delhi. The objective of the training was to provide a thorough knowledge of key concepts, processes, digital platform and application to be used for the enumeration in the field.In the month of May and June, similar kind of exercise will be undertaken through 6000 State and District level training workshops as the fieldwork for the 7th EC will commence in June 2019.The 7th Economic Census -2019 is being conducted by MoSPI in partnership with Common Service Centres, CSC e-Governance Services India Limited, a Special Purpose Vehicle under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology as the implementing agency.
- Name the campaign launched by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau of India and UN Environment India in order to raise awareness on illegal wildlife trade ahead of international day of biological diversity.
1) “Animal-behaviour, wildlife-conservation”
2) “Power of wildlife”
3) “Future of wildlife and the habitat”
4) “Not all animals migrate by choice”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) “Not all animals migrate by choice”
On May 20, 2019, a campaign “Not all animals migrate by choice” was launched by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau of India and UN Environment India in order to raise awareness on illegal wildlife trade ahead of the International Day of Biological Diversity which is observed on May 22. The campaign is aimed at creating awareness among the general public for the protection and conservation of wildlife, prevention of smuggling and reduction in demand for wildlife products. It complements worldwide action on illegal trade in wildlife through UN Environment’s global campaign, Wild for Life.It is to be displayed at major airports across the country.
- Which ministry is set to introduce artificial intelligence system in MCA 21 portal?
1) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
2) Ministry of Communications
3) Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
Ministry of Corporate Affairs(MCA) has rolled out its plan to introduce Artificial Intelligence(AI) system in MCA 21 portal. The Union ministry will introduce Version 3 in MCA portal. This is introduced in order to make the compliance process easier and ensure that enforcement activities are done regularly on autopilot basis.The Ministry aims to rationalize all the forms and follow the principle of a single source of truth. It means that one is not required to fill in the known details as it is automatically updated.It will also interlink the databases so that routine enforcement is done 24×7 on autopilot basis.
- TAPI pipeline was in news recently, what does A stands for ________?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Afghanistan
A refers to Afghanistan in TAPI pipeline,Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI).TAPI was in news recently because the gas pipeline meeting was held recently.
- Where was the TAPI (Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India) gas pipeline meeting held recently?
1) Islamabad, Pakistan
2) Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
3) Kabul, Afghanistan
4) New Delhi, India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
The Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline meeting was held in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. The Pakistani delegation led by Special Assistant to Prime Minister Imran Khan on Petroleum, Nadeem Babar attended the meet to finalize the groundbreaking of the project, which will be held in Pakistan in October, 2019.
- Name the credit card launched by the Transport Company, Ola Cabs in collaboration with SBI Cards .
1) SBI Ola Money Credit Card
2) SBI Ola Credit Card
3) Ola SBI Credit Card
4) Ola Money SBI Credit Card
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ola Money SBI Credit Card
Transport Company, Ola Cabs has launched Ola Money SBI Credit Card in partnership with SBI Card to provide a flexible and convenient payment system to its customers. The credit card is powered by Visa. This partnership will enhance the co-brand card portfolio and also enable SBI Card to access Ola’s vast customer base to make new acquisitions.
- Name the subsidiary of World Bank, which has collaborated with Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA), enabling world’s first Blockchain Bond Transaction using Bond i.
1) International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
2) International Development Association (IDA)
3) International Finance Corporation (IFC)
4) International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD, World Bank) in partnership with Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) enabled recording of secondary market bond trading using blockchain technology. With this, Bond-i become the first bond whose issuance and trading is recorded on a blockchain platform.This also marked the next phase of the bond-i (blockchain operated new debt instrument) project.Bond-i, first issued in August 2018 by World Bank, is the world’s first bond entirely based on blockchain, a type of Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT). CBA was the sole arranger of the bond. That experiment phase of 2018 helped the World Bank to raise $81 million at the time.
- PoS is in news recently,the term PoS refers to _________?
1) Progress of Statements
2) Process of Sales
3) Point of Sales
4) Progess of Sales
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Point of Sales
PoS refers to Point of Sales, it was in news recently when RBI released the data indicating that Point of Sales (PoS) terminals have been increased over 27% in March 2019.
- By what percent, the usage of debit card swipes on Point of Sales (PoS) terminals rise in March 2019 from its previous year, as per the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) data?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 27%
In accordance with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data, debit card swipes on Point of Sales (PoS) terminals have been increased over 27% in March 2019 in comparison to the same period of 2018. While, withdrawals from ATM hiked at a low rate of 15%. Debit card payments for merchant transactions have gone up more than 250% between March 2019 and 2016.The usage of Credit cards for PoS transactions mounted 22% versus 2018, as there were 162 million PoS transactions in March 2019 against 127 million in March 2018.
- Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) having assets over __________ crore, was directed to appoint chief risk officer (CRO) by Reserve Bank of India(RBI)?
1) Rs.7000 crore
2) Rs.2000 crore
3) Rs.10000 crore
4) Rs 5000 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rs 5000 crore
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has directed Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) which have assets over Rs 5000 crore to appoint a chief risk officer (CRO). The rationale behind this direction is to improve standards of risk management practices of NBFCs.RBI’s direction to appoint a CRO is a result of ongoing rating downgrades of NBFC which has raised fears of another liquidity crisis.According to RBI direction, the primary role of the CRO is to identify, measure and mitigate risk and all credit products shall be assessed by CRO with an objective to control risks.
- Name the cloud computing platform worth Rs.7500 crore, which is set to be established by NITI Aayog for creating an institutional framework for artificial intelligence (AI) in the country.
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) AIRAWAT
Recently, a policy think tank NITI Aayog has proposed a plan for Artificial Intelligence (AI) by creating a cloud computing platform named AIRAWAT and research institutes. NITI Aayog has circulated a cabinet note to provide Rs 7,500 crore funding for a 3-year period and set up a high-level task force to oversee roll-out and implementation of Artificial Intelligence (AI). The task force will be headed by NITI Aayog member with representation from all ministries and states along with experts from different fields.
- Find the government agency which has reduced the prices of 9 Non-Scheduled Cancer Drugs by 87%.
1) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI)
2) Drug Controller General of India(DCGI)s
3) National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
4) Central Drugs Standard Control Organization(CDSCO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) reduced the prices of 9 Non-Scheduled Cancer Drugs by 87%. This decision was brought out by NPPA’s May 15 memorandum in its price control framework. It has approved the proposal to cap trade margins of all medicines at 30%.This is a major step to make the anti-cure drugs including chemotherapy injections for lung cancer treatments, available at affordable prices.As per the revised order, the maximum retail price of chemotherapy injection pemetrexed (500mg), sold under the brand name Pemxcel has come down from Rs 22,000 to Rs 2,800. A 100mg dose of the same injection will cost Rs 800 against Rs 7,700.
- Name the Indian personality, who run the charity in UAE named, Pehal Charitable Trust (PCT) that entered Guinness World Records for “Longest Line of Hunger Relief Package” in Abu Dhabi.
1) Rahul Bose
2) Joginder Singh Salaria
3) Gul Panag
4) Dietmar Hopp
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Joginder Singh Salaria
On May 18, 2019, Pehal Charitable Trust (PCT), a Charity run by Indian Joginder Singh Salaria in the United Arab Emirates(UAE) entered Guinness World Records for holding longest Iftar. It set the new Guinness World Records for “Longest Line of Hunger Relief Package” in Abu Dhabi. Iftar is an evening meal with which Muslims end their daily Ramadan fast at sunset. The vegetarian Iftar was organized daily at the premises of Pehal International, Dubai Industrial Park.This event was adjudicated by Douglas Palau, an American television writer and producer.
- Which Indian mountain was included by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in the tentative list of World Heritage Sites recently?
1) Mount Lakshmi
2) Mount Rishi Pahar
3) Mount Shahi Kangri
4) Mount Kailash (Kailash Mansarovar)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mount Kailash(Kailash Mansarovar)
On May 19, 2019, Ministry of Culture, Government of India, reported that the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) incorporated Indian part of Kailash Mansarovar popularly known as Mount Kailash in the tentative list of World Heritage Sites. It is categorized under natural as well as a cultural heritage. In April 2019, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and the Ministry of Environment and Forests had sent a proposal to UNESCO to list Kailash Mansoravar into its world Heritage sites.Kailash Mansarovar is the highest peak in Kailash range located in Lake Mansarovar in the remote south-western portion of the Tibet Autonomous Region of China and adjacent districts in the far-western region of Nepal.
- Name the first black African woman, who conquered Mt. Everest in her fourth attempt recently.
1) Saray Khumalo
2) Tracee Ellis Ross
3) Ava DuVernay
4) Lena Waithe
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Saray Khumalo
On May 16, 2019, Saray Khumalo aged 47 became the first black African woman to conquer Mt. Everest in her fourth attempt. She climbed the 8,848-metre mountain after three previous attempts as she was affected by bad weather, injury, and tragedy. She was born in Zambia and now is a Johannesburg resident, South Africa. She has also conquered Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa, Aconcagua in Argentina and Mount Elbrus in Russia. She is on a hunt to conquer the highest peaks on each continent.In 2003, South African park ranger Sibusiso Vilane became the first black person to reach the top of Mount Everest.
- Who was re-elected as the president of Indonesia ?
1) Sutan Sjahrir
2) Malcolm Turnbull
3) Joko Widodo
4) Prabowo Subianto
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Joko Widodo
Indonesia’s president Joko Widodo has been re-elected for the second term by winning 55.5% of the vote casted. He defeated his rival Prabowo Subianto, a retired general in 2019 Indonesian general election. Joko Widodo belongs to PDI-P, a political party whereas his rival Prabowo Subianto belongs to Gerindra.Joko Widodo’s PDI-P finished first in the People’s Representative Council (DPR) election with 19.33%, followed by Prabowo’s Gerindra with 12.57%.
- Name the social media platform of India, which sponsored Indian Wheelchair Cricket Association(WCA) for Asia cup 2019.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Helo
Helo, India’s social media platform became the team sponsor of Indian Wheelchair Cricket Association (WCA) for Team India for Wheelchair T20 Asia Cup 2019. It was scheduled from May 15 to 18 in Nepal.Through this partnership with team India, Helo became the first social media app to host and promote Indian Wheelchair Cricket.Helo broadcasts the cricket updates, information, behind-the-activity and upcoming matches on its platform iii. The Wheelchair Cricket Association(WCA) is affiliated to the Disabled Sporting Society.
- Name the deceased Austrian racer, who won formula one three times and inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1993.
1) Scott Kalitta
2) Eddie Sachs
3) Pierre Levegh
4) Andreas Nikolaus Lauda
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andreas Nikolaus Lauda
Austrian Formula One driver, Andreas Nikolaus Lauda passed away at the age of 70 in Zurich, Switzerland.He was born in Vienna, Austria.He was sometimes nicknamed as “the rat”, “SuperRat” or “King Rat” because of his prominent buck teeth. Nikolaus Lauda won Formula one three time in 1975(Ferrari), 1977(Ferrari) and 1984(McLaren).He races in formula one for five companies viz- March, BRM, Ferrari, Brabham, McLaren.He was the only Formula one driver, who won for two most successful constructors, Ferrari and McLaren.
- When was World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development observed?
1) May 24
2) May 23
3) May 21
4) May 22
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) May 21
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is celebrated on May 21 worldwide. The objective is to bridge the gap between cultures which is urgent and necessary for peace, stability and development. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) had adopted the Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity in 2001 and in 2002, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in its resolution 57/24 declared May 21 as World day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development.
- Which country has declared National Vesak week from May 15 to 21, 2019?
1) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sri Lanka
On 15th May, Sri Lanka declared National Vesak week from May 15 to 21, 2019 to mark the celebrations of one of the most important events of Buddhists all over the world. The Festival held at the Thotagama Ranpath Viiharaya in Galle, Sri Lanka under the patronage of the President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe. The Day of Vesak commemorates the birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha (or Lord Buddha) and it is celebrated on the day of May (Vaishakha) that has the full Moon (known as Purnima). Means this year it day coincided with May 18.The objective of this year’s festival is to create a society of wise Buddhists making the village temple as the centre of spiritual development in order to realize the sustainable goals of development.During the festival, different programs will be held centering the Vihara and the Buddha Sasana Ministry will allocate 50 million rupees for the developmental activities of 200 Dhamma schools and 85 temples.
- National Anti-Terrorism Day 2019 is observed annually on ____________?
1) May 24
2) May 23
3) May 21
4) May 22
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) May 21
University Grants Commission (UGC) has asked all university in the country to observe May 21 as Anti-terrorism Day. The objective is to wean away the youth from terrorism and showing as to how it is prejudicial to the national interest of the country. This day is celebrated as a Anti-terrorism Day because on the same day in 1991, former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was killed by a woman operative of the separatist Lankan Tamil outfit Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).UGC asked universities to organize different programmes which include pledge-taking ceremony and other activities suggested by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- When was World AIDS Vaccine Day (WAVD) observed?
1) May 21
2) May 20
3) May 19
4) May 18
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) May 18
Since 1998, World AIDS Vaccine Day (WAVD) is observed every year on 18th May to spread awareness about the urgent need for a vaccine to prevent Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection and Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). The day is also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day. World AIDS Vaccine Day observance is headed by National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID), Washington DC, USA.In 1981, AIDS was first reported in the United States and since then becomes a worldwide epidemic.HIV originated in west-central Africa during the late 19th or early 20th century.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) located?Nairobi, Kenya
- Who is the MD and CEO of SBI Card?Hardayal Prasad
- Gangotri National Park is located in which state?Uttarakhand
- Who is the Director General of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)?Audrey Azoulay
- What is the Capital and Currency of United Arab Emirates(UAE)?Capital: Abu Dhabi & Currency: UAE Dirham