AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 18 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 18 2018
- Himachal Pradesh State government will spend Rs 25 crore on renovating and developing the historic British era ‘Bantony Castle Estate’ in ____ as a major tourist attraction?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Shimla
‘Bantony Castle Estate’ is one of the historic and monumental buildings of Shimla town with a very rich history and is a fine example of the Anglo-Gothic architecture. Himachal Pradesh State Government believes that owing to its strategic location on Mall Road, it would be an added attraction for the tourists. Bantony Castle was acquired by Government, two years ago from a business family for Rs 27.84 crore. It currently houses state police headquarters. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur stated that organising ‘Gram Shilp Mela’ was a new beginning for the Bantony Castle as local artisans of the state got an opportunity to showcase their artefacts.
- With an objective to conserve water, the Bhusawal Division of Indian Railways has fitted specially designed aerators in basin-taps of which train?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Tejas Express
The aerators have minute pores that break the stream of incoming water into fine water sub-streams. This phenomenon discharges an optimal amount of water to be utilised for cleanliness and thus reduces excess water flow. Tejas Express is a high speed (200 kmph) air-conditioned train equipped with several ultra modern facilities onboard.
- Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu has given his approval for creation of DGTR in Department of Commerce. What is the full form of DGTR?
1.Directorate General of Trade Relations
2.Directorate General of Trade Remedies
3.Directorate General of Trade Reassurance
4.Directorate General of Trade Records
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Directorate General of Trade Remedies
DGTR will be the top National Authority for dealing in all trade remedial measures including anti-dumping, countervailing duties and safeguard measures. Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied duties (DGAD), Directorate General of Safeguards (DGS) and Safeguards functions of Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) will be merged into a single national entity and will be placed under DGTR. This merger will save 49 posts to the Government. DGTR will also provide trade defence support to Indian exporters in dealing with increasing instances of trade remedy investigations instituted against them by other countries.
- On May 18, 2018, Union Minister of Railways and Coal, Piyush Goyal chaired a detailed review meeting with ____, Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy and with top officials of Ministries of Coal, Railways and Power in New Delhi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.R.K. Singh
A review of Power supply requirement during the ongoing summer and forthcoming winter season was carried out during the course of this meeting. Short term, medium term and long term measures to improve the coal stock position in Power Plants were also discussed. Mr. Goyal emphasised that the necessity to increase Plant Load Factor (PLF) of various Power Plants across India and stated that all pithead plants with sufficient coal supply should run at 100% PLF. For Railways, Mr. Goyal expressed the need to improve the turnaround time of rakes by better scheduling of trains and optimum utilization of traffic blocks. He emphasised the need to rationalize operational and maintenance practices on the high density routes of Indian Railways.
- On May 18, 2018, Supreme Court approved Central Government’s draft Cauvery Management Scheme aimed at ensuring smooth distribution of water among Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry and which other state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Tamil Nadu
Supreme Court in its verdict delivered on February 16, 2018 had asked the Centre to frame the Cauvery management scheme, which would deal with the issue of water share of the four states in different circumstances like normal and deficient water years in the Cauvery river basin. In the draft Cauvery management scheme submitted by the Central Government, there was a provision under which Central Government was to pass directions from time to time with regard to the distribution of water. However, Supreme Court asked Centre to make suitable changes pertaining to this provision as it was not in consonance with its judgement on the matter.
- Which state government will be bearing medical expenses up to Rs 50,000 for each victim of road accident in the state for the first 48 hours, from 18th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Gujarat
A Government Resolution (GR) was issued on 17th May 2018 regarding this by Gujarat state Health and Family Welfare department. It stated that, even people from other states or countries will receive free treatment in Gujarat, irrespective of their income, if they are victim of a road accident and admitted to a government or a private hospital. Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel, had announced the launch of the free treatment scheme recently. This scheme aims to provide timely and better treatment and to minimise loss of life due to road accidents.
- On 18th May, the Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs Shri. Hardeep Singh Puri has announced the expansion of policies under DAY-NULM in New Delhi. What does “L” represent in DAY-NULM?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Livelihood
DAY-NULM – Deen Antodaya Yojna – National Urban Livelihood Mission
The announcement was done during a workshop “Making Cities Work for All: Integrating the informal economy”organised by National Institute of Urban Affairs in collaboration with Women in the Informal Employment. These initiatives focus on better working conditionsand reducing vulnerability among the urban poor (especially waste pickers, street vendors, brick kiln workers etc) working in the informal sector. The informal sector includes workers not having social security or job security and organizations having less than 10 workers. More opportunities will be given to women labour forcein the informal sector and ‘formalisation’ of the sector will be considered.
- On 18th May, The Delhi cabinet gave their approval for procuring how many CNG run standard floor buses under cluster scheme?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.1000
Each bus will have three internet protocol (IP) cameras, panic buttons, in-built GPS and anti skid features. The Delhi government acquired 1000 buses for Rs. 276 crore . A total of 11000 buses will be acquired 5500 buses each for DTC and cluster scheme of the Delhi government.
- Name the Indian Minister of State for External Affairs ____ who was on an official visit to Austria and Slovak Republic from 15th to 17th May, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.M.J. Akbar
On May 15, 2018, Mr. Akbar had a meeting with Minister for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs of Austria, Ms. Karin Kneissl, wherein entire gamut of India-Austria bilateral relations were discussed. In Austria, Mr. Akbar also had a meeting with President of STRATEG (Society for Political & Strategic Studies), Lt. General Christian Segur-Cabanac. STRATEG is a leading think tank of Austria. On 16th and 17th May, 2018, Mr. Akbar visited the Slovak Republic to participate at the GLOBSEC 2018 Bratislava Forum.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has modified the norms for setting up IBUs by banks. What does “I” represent in IBU?
1.International Financial Services Centres (IFSC)
2.International Financial Structuring Centres (IFSC)
3.International Foreign Services Centres (IFSC)
4.Indian Financial Services Centres (IFSC)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.International Financial Services Centres (IFSC)
As per the new norm, parent bank will be required to provide and maintain at a minimum capital of USD 20 million in its IBU on an ongoing basis. The modification has been brought in to accommodate suggestions from stakeholders to consider minimum prescribed regulatory capital at the parent level rather than at the IBU level. However, parent bank will be required to provide a Letter of Comfort for extending financial assistance, as and when required, in the form of capital/liquidity support to IBU. It is to be noted that, government has set up an IFSC in Gujarat (Gujarat International Finance Tec-City, GIFT in Gandhinagar).
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released final guidelines prescribing 100 percent NSFR for banks aimed at maintaining adequate liquidity for more resilience. Expand NSFR?
1.Net Sustained Funding Ratio
2.Net Stable Finance Ratio
3.National Statutory Funding Ratio
4.Net Stable Funding Ratio
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Net Stable Funding Ratio)
NSFR is a long-term liquidity measurement included in the Basel III liquidity standards. It is defined as the amount of available stable funding (ASF) relative to the amount of required stable funding (RSF). A portion of capital and liabilities which has been assessed to be reliable over a year is referred to as ASF, while RSF is bank’s liquidity position required to honour maturities of the various assets and other off-balance sheet exposures. RBI’s 100 per cent NSFR guideline requires banks to fund their activities with more stable sources of funding on an ongoing basis.
- As per UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) as of mid-2018, India’s economy is projected to grow ____ per cent in fiscal year 2018-19?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.7.6
Clocking 7.6 per cent growth, India will retain the tag of fastest growing economy in the world. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth in 2018-19 will come on back of robust private consumption, supportive fiscal stance and benefits from past reforms. However, sustained recovery in private investment has been identified as a crucial challenge. As per the report, economic growth in China is likely to moderate to 6.5 per cent in 2018 as compared to 6.9 per cent in 2017.
- On 18th May 2018, which Indian Institute of Management (IIM) said that it has received awards in the 2017 edition of the European Foundation of Management Development case competition?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.IIM Calcutta
In the inclusive business models category, sponsored by the Institute for Management Development: the IIM Calcutta team of Professor Indranil Bose and student Gaurav Gupta won the award for their case ‘SIMsePAY at YES BANK: Creating Value Through an UnSmart Innovation.’ In the sustainable business models category, Prof Ramendra Singh and student Menaka Rao won the award for their case study “Switchon O’nergy: Social innovation challenges at the bottom of the pyramid”.
- On 18th May, which state owned firm won the S&P Platts award in Corporate Social Responsibility in London, United Kingdom?
1.Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
2.National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)
3.Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
4.Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)
NMDC’s CSR has grown from Rs 86 crore (USD13.25 million) in 2011-12 to an average of Rs.190 crore (USD30 million ) during the last three (03) years. It has worked in areas like education, health , skill development, infrastructure and drinking water. This is the first time any Indian company has bagged this award from S&P.
- On 17th May, who was nominated as the first female CIA director by the President of United States Mr.Donald Trump?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Gina Haspel
On 17th May, The President of United States Mr.Donald Trump nominated 61 year old Gina Haspel as the first female CIA director. She won by a 54-45 vote. She has been working for the CIA for the past 33 years under the Directorate of Operations. She will be replacing former director Mike Pompeo. She also won the Intelligence Medal of Merit, the Presidential Rank Award among others.
- On 18th May, which former Indian Cricketer was appointed the interim head coach of Zimbabwe by the Zimbabwe Cricket council?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Lalchand Rajput
On 18th May, The Zimbabwe Cricket council appointed 56 year old former Indian Cricketer Mr Lalchand Rajput as the interim head coach of Zimbabwe. He replaced Heath Streak, a former Zimbabwe pacer, who was sacked after Zimbabwe lost to qualify in March for ICC world Cup to be held next year. Rajput was the head of Indian team in ICC World Twenty20 in 2007 when India won. He has been the manager for MS Dhoni , Ravi Shastri and the Indian team during 2008 Australia CB series .
- Who has been appointed as the regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Uttam Pacharne
Shri Pacharne is a renowned artist and sculptor. At present he is Member of Advisory Committee, Kala Academy, Goa and Member of Advisory Committee, P.L. Deshpande State Lalit Kala Academy and Director, Janseva Sahakari Bank Borivali. He has received National Lalit Kala Award 1985, Maharashtra Gaurav Puraska 1985 from Government of Maharashtra, Junior National Award 1986 and Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar 2017. He will serve as regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi for a term of three years. In March 2018, Shri M.L. Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Akademies), Ministry of Culture was appointed Protem Chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the new chairman of National Highway Authority of India (NHAI)?
3.Yudhvir Singh Malik
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Yudhvir Singh Malik
Yudhvir Singh Malik succeeds Deepak Kumar as the chairman of National Highway Authority of India (NHAI). On 17th May 2018, Deepak Kumar was sent back to his cadre state Bihar before finishing his tenure. He is a 1984 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre. He became NHAI Chairman on 28th June 2017.
- Who was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of the High Court of Manipur on 18th May 2018?
1.Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar
3.Justice Abubaker Sayeed
4.Justice Farhan Ahmed
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar
The oath of office to Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar was administered by Acting Governor of Manipur Jagdish Mukhi. The event was attended by Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh, Deputy chief minister, ministers, MLAs, leaders of opposition parties, high court officials, high ranking civil, police and military officials etc.
- Name the person who has been elected as Vice-President of Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC)?
2.Himanta Biswa Sarma
4.Vivek Kumar Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Himanta Biswa Sarma
Himanta Biswa Sarma is also the chairman of Para Badminton committee. He will take charge as Vice-President of BAC with immediate effect. Devender Singh, Senior vice-president of BAI and Omar Rashid, honorable secretary (events) of BAI also attended the Annual General Meeting of BAC.
- Indian academic and foreign policy analyst ____ has been appointed as director of the Institute of South Asian Studies, a think tank of National University of Singapore?
2.C Raja Mohan
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.C Raja Mohan
C Raja Mohan will take charge as director of the Institute of South Asian Studies on 21st May 2018. At the same time, he will be a visiting research professor at the ISAS. He was the Henry Alfred Kissinger Chair in Foreign and International Relations at the Library of Congress from 2009 to 2010. Earlier, he was a professor of South Asian Studies at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi. He was also a member of India’s National Security Advisory Board and was the diplomatic editor and Washington correspondent for ‘The Hindu’ newspaper.
- On 18th May, The Chief Minister of Odisha Mr. Naveen Patnaik appointed ____ as chairman of the Odisha Tourism Development Corporation?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Dilip Tirkey
On 18th May, The Chief Minister of Odisha Mr. Naveen Patnaik appointed Dilip Tirkey as chairman of the Odisha Tourism Development Corporation. Odisha Tourism Development Corporation is a state government undertaking that promotes tourism and operates some of the tourist bungalows and fleets.
- Scientists of which space centre have founded that, India is one of the places where overuse of water resources has led to a serious decline in freshwater availability?
1.National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
2.China National Space Administration (CNSA)
3.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
4.Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
The scientists used data on human activities to map locations where freshwater is changing throughout the world. This is a first-of-its-kind study that used an array of NASA satellite observations of Earth. The study was published in the journal Nature. It revealed that Earth’s dry areas are getting drier due to various factors like human water management, climate change and natural cycles. Areas in northern and eastern India, the Middle East, California and Australia are some of the hotspots where freshwater levels are reducing.
- On 18th May, which Indian Institute announced a device that would help detect and remove arsenic from water?
1.Indian Institute Of Tropical Meteorology
2.Institute Indian Institute of Science and Research (IISER)
3.Indian Institute Of Science (IISC)
4.Indian Institute of Water Sciences
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Institute Indian Institute of Science and Research (IISER)
The device called ‘Arsenic Sensor and Removal Media’ is a cost effective product. On detection of arsenic the sensor will show immediate change in color This has been created by IISER in collaboration with a private company called ‘ADO Additive’. As per reports, 83 blocks in eight districts of West Bengal- Burdwan, Malda, Hooghly, Howrah, Murshidabad, Nadia, North and South 24 Parganas – were hit by arsenic contamination.
- Writer Balakumaran who passed away on 18th May 2018, wrote in which language?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Tamil
He was well known for creating strong women characters in his works. Some of his works include Vazhimayakkam, Mercury Pookkal, Irumbu Kuthiraigal. He wrote the dialogues for Mani Rathnam’s award-winning film Nayakan, Shankar’s Gentleman, Kaadhalan and Jeans.
- On 17th May 2018, Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu released two books namely ‘A Treatise on Cleanliness’ and ‘Waste Management, an Introduction’, written by ____, in New Delhi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Rajat Bhargava
M. Venkaiah Naidu said that it is apt that the author has selected these subjects at a time when India is going through a phase of growth and development. He said that ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’ is contributing a lot to make India a clean country.
- What was the theme of International Museum Day that was celebrated on 18th May 2018?
1.Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics
2.Museums: Symbols of Heritage
3.Museums: Time stamps of History
4.Preserve museums for future generations
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics
The International Museum Day is celebrated every year on 18th May since 1977. It is coordinated by the International Council of Museums (ICOM). International Museum Day is celebrated every year to create awareness on the importance of museums for the development of society. The theme for International Museum Day 2018 is: “Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics”.
- When was World AIDS Vaccination day also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.May 18
World AIDS Vaccine Day is also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day. It is observed every year on 18th May 2018. This day commemorates the speech of former US President Bill Clinton on 18th May 1997, on the importance of HIV vaccine, at Morgan State University. The first World AIDS Vaccine Day was observed on 18 May 1998. This day stresses on the urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection and AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome).
- Who has become the youngest woman to scale Mt. Everest?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Shivangi Pathak
A 16-year-old girl from Haryana has registered her name as the youngest woman to scale the world highest peak on 17th May 2018. Born in Hisar of Haryana in north-western India, Shivangi Pathak climbed Mount Everest exploring a message that women could overcome every obstacle to achieve their goals.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of International Council of Museums (ICOM) headquartered in Paris, France?Suay Aksoy
- Where is Badrinath Temple located?Uttarakhand
- Which is the Largest artificial lake in Asia?Upper Lake, Madhya Pradesh
- Who is the President of Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC) headquartered in Selangor, Malaysia?Anton Aditya Subowo
- Which state houses the Keibul Lamjao National Park?Manipur
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification