AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
Questions Based on Current Affairs May 17 2019
- Name the online writing of Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) project launched for Group ‘B’ and ‘C’ Officers of Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC).
1) OPT(Officers Performance Tools)
2) SPARROW (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window)
3) PAOW (Performance Appraisal Online Window)
4) PAOWO (Performance Appraisal Online Window for Officers)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) SPARROW (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window)
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) notified that for better human resource management, it will conduct annual performance appraisal report (APARs) of over 46,000 Group B and C officers (IRS– Indian Revenue Service officers in Customs and Central Excise in 2016-17) online in SPARROW (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window).This project is being implemented in over 400 formations of CBIC across India.The DGHRM (Directorate General of Human Resource Management), the HR (Human Resource) arm of CBIC, is the implementing agency for this project.
- Where was the 11th India Iran Joint Consular Committee Meeting (JCCM) held recently?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
The 11th India Iran Joint Consular Committee Meeting (JCCM) held in New Delhi on May 14, 2019. Indian delegation was led by Amit Narang, Joint Secretary in Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) division and the Iran delegation was led by Ali Asghar Mohammadi, Director General of Consular Affairs.The purpose of this meeting is to review the status of ongoing cooperation in consular and visa related issues and also to discuss the strategy to further expand people to people contacts and to promote friendly exchanges between India and Iran.Both countries have discussed some important issues between India and Iran: Early conclusion of Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance on civil and commercial matters. To extend longer duration of e-Visa for each other nationals on reciprocity. Visa facilitation for greater people to people contacts etc.
- __________ edition of India-Botswana Foreign Office Consultations held recently in New Delhi, India?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 3rd
The 3rd round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Botswana was held in New Delhi on 15th May, 2019. Indian delegation was led by Neena Malhotra, Joint Secretary (East and Southern Africa) and the Botswana delegation led by Tapiwa Mongwa, Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation.The purpose of the Foreign Office Consultation is to review bilateral relation which includes political, economic, commercial, defence, consular and international cooperation related to United Nations.Botswana government had also decided to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA).The next round of Foreign Office Consultations will be held in Botswana on mutually agreed dates.
- Which act was approved by Maharashtra Cabinet to provide reservation to Maratha students in post- graduate medical courses recently.
1) Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Reservation Act, 2018
2) Educational Institutions (Regulation of Fee) Act, Maharashtra 2011
3) Educational Institutions (Prohibition of Capitation Fee) Act, Maharashtra 1988
4) Education and Employment Guarantee (Cess) Act, Maharashtra 1962
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Reservation Act, 2018
In order to provide reservation to Maratha students in postgraduate medical courses, the Maharashtra Cabinet approved to circulate an ordinance to amend the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Reservation Act, 2018, and also approved to recompense the fees to the general category-students, who will be affected after the promulgation of the ordinance.Previously the Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court did not grant 16% reservation to the Maratha community students for admissions to post-graduate (PG) medical courses and dental courses because the admission process had begun much earlier.
- Name the state, which has around 35% of India’s total Graphite reserves, as per the report released by Geological Survey of India (GSI).
1) Andhra Pradesh
2) Arunachal Pradesh
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Arunachal Pradesh
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) in its report notified that the highest graphite reserves of India, that is, around 35% of India’s total Graphite reserves are found in Arunachal Pradesh.The data was presented during GSI’s annual interactive meeting with the Department of Geology and Mining & Industries, Government of Arunachal Pradesh in Itanagar. Arunachal Pradesh could now be developed as the leading producer of graphite in India to meet the nations’ future needs, since currently, India imports the majority of Graphite from other nations.
- Name the country, which has attained ‘Observer‘ status in CTBTO (The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation) and also got access to it’s International Monitoring System (IMS) data.
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) India
CTBTO (The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation) has offered India an ‘Observer‘ status and access to the International Monitoring System (IMS) data.CTBT is a global treaty that runs IMS which constantly monitors the Earth for nuclear explosions and shares evaluative findings with its member states. CTBTO’s headquarters is in Vienna, Austria.Currently, IMS has 337 facilities, located in 89 nations.In 1996, CTBT was opened for signature after being adopted by the UN General Assembly.India wants CTBT to have a clause on complete nuclear disarmament and didn’t yet sign the treaty as CTBT favours 5 nuclear weapon states, namely, China, US, Russia, France and UK.
- Which country has become the first in Asia, to legalise same-sex marriage?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Taiwan
For the first time in Asia, Taiwan’s parliament legalised same-sex marriage, as lawmakers passed a bill permitting same-sex couples to form ‘exclusive permanent unions‘ which would let them apply for a ‘marriage registration’ (under Clause Four) with government agencies. In 2017, Taiwan’s constitutional court ruled that same-sex couples had the right to legally marry, but also notified that Taiwan had 2 years to make necessary changes to the law.The vote took place on the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, that is on 17th May, 2019.Taiwan has been 1 of the most progressive societies in Asia for gay rights, in the last 10 years. Taiwan had staged Asia’s biggest annual gay pride parade.The only places in the broader Asia-Pacific region to have passed gay marriage laws are Australia and New Zealand.
- Name the Maritime Exercise between Singapore and India that held in Singapore recently.
3) INDRA NAV
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) SIMBEX
INS Kolkata (being designed and built in India, it is an advanced stealth destroyer capable of engaging multiple threats from the air, sea and underwater) and INS Shakti (is a fleet support ship that provides fuel, provisions and munitions to warships at sea), the 2 warships of the Indian Navy participated in a 3-day Asia Pacific naval and maritime event titled the International Maritime Defence Exhibition Asia (IMDEX Asia-2019) (it commenced on May 14, 2019) held in Changi Exhibition Centre, Singapore. After IMDEX, Indian Naval ships together with an Indian Navy surveillance aircraft P8I have participated in the 26th edition of Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX).
- Which country’s people is seeking help to reduce their alcohol intake, as per the 8th edition of Global Drug Survey 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) India
According to the 8th edition of Global Drug Survey (GDS) 2019, Indians are seeking help more than any other countries to reduce their alcohol intake. The survey was conducted online in between October and December 2018. Around 1,00,000 respondents from 30 countries have participated in the online survey. People participated from India are mostly male (age 25 to 34 years). GDS is an independent research organization based in London, UK. Indians are reported drunk on an average of 41 times in the last 1 year which is well behind countries like UK, US, Canada, Australia and Denmark which have an average of 33 times in the last 1 year.
- Name the scheme launched by Government of Saudi Arabia for the first time to give permanent residency to certain expatriates by allowing them to own real estates.
1) “Privileged Maja”
2) “Privileged Talo”
3) “Privileged Huis”
4) “Privileged Iqama”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) “Privileged Iqama”
On May 15, 2019, for the first time, the Cabinet of Saudi Arabia approved to give permanent residency to certain expatriates by allowing them to own real estates. They are eligible to reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor(Kafeel). This new system is named as the “Privileged Iqama”. This is aimed to attract the long term investments in order to boost domestic spending.The owned residence under the “Privileged Iqama” system can be renewed annually.The newly adopted scheme will boost the growth in private sector and increase the employment opportunities in Saudi Arabia.This scheme is benefitted to the highly skilled expatriates and owners of capital funds.The scheme is commonly called as the Saudi Green Card. Three years ago, this was announced for the first time by the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as a part of Vision 2030 plan.
- Which country has blocked all language editions of Wikipedia?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
According to a report by the Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI), China started blocking all language editions of Wikipedia last month. Previously, most editions of Wikipedia—besides the Chinese language version, which was reportedly blocked in 2015—were available, OONI said in their report. Beijing has broadened its block of online encyclopedia Wikipedia to include all language editions, an internet censorship research group reported just weeks ahead of China’s most politically explosive anniversary.
- Which financial institution, has launched a pilot scheme for fintech Non Banking Financing Companies (NBFCs) in order to boost digital lending ?
1) Reserve Bank of India(RBI)
2) Export–Import Bank of India(Exim Bank)
3) Small Industries Development Bank of India(SIDBI)
4) Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has launched a pilot scheme for fintech Non Banking Financing Companies (NBFCs) to give financial assistance up to Rs. 10 crore in order to boost digital lending.SIDBI has set the credit exposure limit to a new fintech NBFC to 30% of the Net-Owned Fund(NOF) of the new fintech NBFC, with the maximum capital of Rs. 10 crores.The new fintech NBFCs must hold in trust the underlying securities or receivables on behalf of SIDBI.The minimum fee of 0.075% to 0.25% of the sanctioned amount along with applicable taxes is charged by the development bank.
- Name the General Insurance Company which has partnered with IBM to jointly setup data lab in India to improve business efficiency and profitability.
1) HDFC ERGO
2) ICICI Lombard
3) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
4) IFFCO Tokio General Insurance
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) HDFC ERGO
HDFC ERGO, General Insurance Company and IBM, technology giant, announced to jointly setup data lab in India to improve business efficiency and profitability. It will analyze the customer data and develop customized solutions.Neither HDFC ERGO nor IBM has disclosed the amount of investment in setting up the lab.The experts from HDFC ERGO and a team of 25 experts from IBM Garage which includes data scientists, technology architects, and design engineers are working together to improve customer experience by working on different test cases.HDFC ERGO is the third largest private general insurance company of India with 11 million customers associated with the business.
- Who was appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank?
1) Samit Ghosh
2) Nitin Chugh
3) Sunil Patel
4) Nandlal Sarda
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nitin Chugh
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has appointed Nitin Chugh as its Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for a period of 3 years from December 1, 2019. The current MD and CEO Samit Ghosh’s tenure will end on November 30, 2019. Currently, Nitin Chugh is Group Head of Digital Banking of HDFC Bank. He will join the bank by August 2019 as President and will work closely with Samit Ghosh.
- Name the Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS), that has decommissioned in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
1) ICGS Rajdhwaj
2) ICGS Samarth
3) ICGS Samrat
4) ICGS Vigraha
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) ICGS Vigraha
Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) ‘Vigraha’ decommissioned at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. It is a frontline offshore patrol served for 29 years from 1990 to 2019. It was the seventh offshore patrol vessel built by the Mazagaon Dock Limited, Mumbai. The offshore patrol vessel Vigraha has participated in major coast guard operations which involves search and rescue, anti-poaching, humanitarian assistance, and disaster relief, repatriation and joint exercises, etc.
- Union Ministry of Environment is creating a new DNA Database of which animal in order to curb poaching?
3) Indian Rhinos
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Indian Rhinos
Union Ministry of Environment has announced a project to create DNA Database for Indian Rhinos. This is done in order to curb poaching and collect evidence for wildlife crimes including Rhinos.The deadline to meet this project is 2021.The database will be kept in the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) headquartered in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.The proponents of this project include the World Wide Fund for Nature-India (WWF-India) and the Centre-funded Wildlife Institute of India.There are three species of rhinos, of which only one, the Indian rhino or One-horned Rhinos is found in the country mainly in Kaziranga National Park, Assam.
- Which sports association has announced its first-ever female referee team to officiate Men’s Continental Club Cup match?
1) Asian Football Confederation(AFC)
2) Asian Hockey Federation
3) Asian Handball Federation
4) Asian Volleyball Confederation(AVC)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Asian Football Confederation(AFC)
For the first time in history, Asian Football Confederation(AFC) announced its first-ever female referee team to officiate Men’s Continental Club Cup match. The team consists of 3 Japanese referees namely, Yoshimi Yamashita and assistants Makoto Bozono and Naomi Teshirogi. They will officiate the match between Myanmar’s Yangon United and Cambodia’s Naga World at the Thuwunna Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar.They are among the 12 officials from the AFC to lead the FIFA Women’s World Cup which is scheduled to be held in June 2019.Earlier, women officials were only served as assistant referees in AFC Cup matches. Sarah Ho and Allyson Flynn were the first female assistant referees in AFC Cup matches in 2014.
- What was the theme of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) 2019?
1) Theme – “Big Data for Big Impact”
2) Theme – “Bridging the Standardization Gap”
3) Theme – “ICT entrepreneurship for social impact”
4) Theme – “Enabling the positive use of Artificial Intelligence for All”
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Theme – “Bridging the Standardization Gap”
World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) was celebrated on May 17, 2019, with a theme of “Bridging the Standardization Gap”. It is celebrated on May 17 every year since 1969 because on this day the first International Telegraph Convention was signed and International Telecommunication Union (ITU) was created. This year, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day. The purpose to celebrate this day is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Secretary General of International Telecommunication Union (ITU)?Houlin Zhao
- Pambadum Shola National Park is located in which state?Kerala
- Who is the Chairman of International Cricket Council(ICC)?Shashank Manohar
- Where is the headquarter of Wildlife Institute of India(WII) located?Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- What is the tagline of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank?We belive in your belief (Bharosa, Aap ke Bharose Par)
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification