AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz May 16 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC,CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams.We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- As per a joint report titled “Financial Security for India’s Elderly—The Imperatives” from CRISIL and pension regulator Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), by year ______, every 5th Indian will be in their 60s
Answer – 4.2050
Currently 8.9% of Indian population is above the age of 60, which will rise to 19.4% by year 2050. Considering the current situation as an ideal one, PFRDA has highlighted the need to develop the under-penetrated pension market in India.
- The expanded preferential trade agreement between India and _______ came into effect from May 16, 2017
Answer – 5.Chile
Under this expanded preferential trade agreement (PTA), both the countries have offered to lower or eliminate duties on a number of items traded with each other. Chile has offered duty concessions on as many as 1,798 goods such as agri items, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, plastics, textiles, apparel, iron and steel items, copper machinery, to Indian exporters as compared to 178 items earlier.
- Union Minister for Chemical and Fertilizers, Ananth Kumarhas announced that two centres of the Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET) will be set up in:
Answer – 1.Haryana
These centres will help to meet industry requirements for plastic engineers and technicians. As the technology is required in all sectors from agriculture to space exploration, these centres will help make the country self-sufficient in this field. Mr. Kumar mentioned that a plastic park will be set up over a 75 acre land in Panipat at a cost of Rs 1,500 crore, while a pharma park will be set in over a 100 acre land in Karnal.
- Oorja Talent Hunt is associated with which sport?
Answer – 1.Football
On May 14, 2017, Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das awarded cash prizes to the winners of Oorja CAPF Under-19 football talent hunt tournament in Ranchi. The winners, girls team of JFA and boys team of SAIL, were awarded Rs 50,000 each.
- Andhra Pradesh Government has inked a pact with which country for developing an area of 6.84 km at capital Amaravati as startup area in phases?
Answer – 2.Singapore
The areas of cooperation between the governments of Andhra Pradesh and Singapore include economic development, master development of the startup area in Amaravati besides promotion of bilateral trade and investments and enhancing capacities of government departments.
- Which two entities will jointly inspect the excavation being carried out at an archaeological site in Haryana’s Fatehabad district to verify claims of it being the oldest civilisation in the world?
1.ISRO and DRDO
2.DRDO and NASA
3.NASA and ISRO
4.ISRO and European Space Agency
5.NASA and Archaeological Survey of India
Answer – 3.NASA and ISRO
Archaeologists have recovered artefacts pre-dating the Harappan Civilisation from the site, located in village Kunal in Fatehabad district. NASA and ISRO inspection is likely to be done by October 2017.
- Indian has ranked _____ among 40 countries on ‘Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index’ 2017 released by Ernst and Young (EY)
Answer – 1.2nd
India maintained its upward trajectory on the index on account of Central Government’s programme to build 175 GW in renewable energy generation by year 2022. This initiative is in direction to realise a larger vision wherein renewable energy will account for 40% of installed capacity by year 2040.
- On May 16, 2017, the headquarters of Independent Permanent Human Rights Commission of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) was inaugurated in:
Answer – 2.Saudi Arabia
Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Adel Al-Jubeir and Secretary General of OIC, Dr Yousef Al-Othaimeen jointly inaugurated the headquarters. The headquarters will help promote human rights and fundamental freedom in the Muslim world.
- India has launched the process to export ‘Ujala’ to ___________with affordable ‘Made in India’ LED bulbs.
Answer – 2.United Kingdom
Ujala is globally one of the largest efficiency programmes and is being run by Energy Efficiency Services Ltd, an energy services company promoted by Indian state-run power majors. Through this initiative, the government plans to replace all 770 million inefficient incandescent and CFL (compact fluorescent lamps in the country with LED (light emitting diode) bulbs.
- HDFC Life has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with which private sector bank to distribute its individual life insurance products?
3.Catholic Syrian Bank
Answer – 3.Catholic Syrian Bank
With this partnership, HDFC Life will offer its leading range of individual life insurance, health and pension products to the Catholic Syrian Bank’s 1.5 million customer base across all its branches.
- India has imposed anti-dumping duty on a certain type of _____ from Iran to protect domestic industry from cheap imports.
Answer – 1.glasses
India has imposed anti-dumping duty on a certain type of glass from Iran and also Chinese aluminium radiators to protect domestic industry from cheap imports. While an anti-dumping duty of up to $55.59 per tonne was imposed on clear float glass, $22.89 was slapped on imports of aluminium radiators.
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K)has recently launched ‘LIVE’, a business incubator and entrepreneurship development centre. Abbreviation ‘LIVE’ stands for:
1.Laboratory for Incubation, Venturing and Entrepreneurship
2.Laboratory for Innovation, Verification and Entrepreneurship
3.Laboratory for Innovation, Venturing and Enlisting
4.Laboratory for Innovation, Venturing and Entrepreneurship
5.Laboratory for Incubation, Venturing and Enlisting
Answer – 4.Laboratory for Innovation, Venturing and Entrepreneurship
‘LIVE’ will support start-ups, not just founded by IIM-K’s own students or alumni but also any idea owner with innovation that is believed to have commercial potential. Department of Science and Technology (DST) under Union Ministry of Science and Technology has sanctioned a grant of Rs 3 crore for ‘LIVE’.
- Who among the following has been awarded the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal in the Young Scientist category for 2017?
1.Rajendra Nath Bose
2.Aravind Kumar Rengan
4.Ashok Singh Kapany
Answer – 2.Aravind Kumar Rengan
Prof. Aravind has been awarded the medal for devising a novel way of nano delivery using liposomes and gold nanoparticles which is useful for both, imaging and therapeutics. His research work was published in two prestigious journals of nanotechnology field.
- Which private sector bank has announced the appointment of computer hardware company Intel’s executive Debjani Ghosh as an additional director on its board?
1.Kotak Mahindra Bank
2.South Indian Bank
4.Karur Vysya Bank
Answer – 5.Yes Bank
Ghosh is a senior and experienced leader and highly respected in the Indian technology industry for her strategic leadership and marketing acumen. Ghosh’s appointment as a non-executive director will be considered by the shareholders at the bank’s forthcoming annual general meeting on June 6, 2017
- Edouard Philippe has been named as Prime Minister of which European country?
Answer – 4.France
France’s centrist president, Emmanuel Macron, has appointed a prime minister from the right to lead his bid for a parliamentary majority in June’s elections and push through his plans to loosen strict labour laws. Édouard Philippe, the mayor of the Normandy port town Le Havre, comes from Les Républicains, the party that was headed by Nicolas Sarkozy until last year.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the deputy executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)?
Answer – 3.Ovais Sarmad
Sarmad will succeed Richard Kinley of Canada. His appointment comes at a crucial time when most of the countries have ratified the Paris Climate Agreement and the US President, Donald Trump, has threatened to scrap the pact.
- Indian Navy and ________________ have signed a Memorandum of Understanding on Data Sharing and Scientific cooperation in the field of Meteorology and Oceanology.
2.Indian Institute of Remote Sensing
3.Space Application Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad
4.National Atmospheric Research Laboratory
5.Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
Answer – 3.Space Application Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad
Under this MoU, scientific advancements and expertise achieved by SAC would be synergised into the Indian Naval efforts to keep the Nation’s Defence Forces in step with rapid development in the field of Environment Sciences and Satellite Data acquisition technology.
- On May 15, 2017, SpaceX launched a communications satellite for which mobile broadband company?
Answer – 2.Inmarsat
Inmarsat-5 F4 satellite, built by Boeing, blasted off atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, US on May 15, 2017. SpaceX confirmed that the satellite was successfully deployed to a distant, geostationary orbit. This satellite is the fourth in Inmarsat’s Global Xpress (GX) constellation, aimed at providing high-speed mobile broadband service.
- Who among the following Indian women cricketers have scored a record 320-run partnership in One-Day International?
1.Deepti Sharma and Mithali Raj
2.Deepti Sharma and Veda Krishnamurthy
3.Deepti Sharma and Poonam Raut
4.Poonam Raut and Mithali Raj
5.Poonam Raut and Veda Krishnamurthy
Answer – 3.Deepti Sharma and Poonam Raut
This feat was accomplished in a match against Ireland at Potchefstroom during the quadrangular series in South Africa. Deepti and Poonam batted for over 45 overs. Deepti made 188 off 160 balls, while Poonam made 109 off 116 balls.
- US-based Indian squash player______________ has won Professional Squash Association’s SYS Open
Answer – 4.Ramit TandonExplanation :
Ramit Tandon has won 6 junior national titles and was ranked No.1 in India when he ended his junior career. He was born in Kolkata and graduated from Sishya School in Chennai in 2011. He led the Indian Junior team to win its first ever Asian Junior title after defeating Pakistan in the final.
- Which date is observed as ‘National Dengue Day’ in India?
Answer – 1.16th May
National Dengue Day is observed on 16th of May by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India. The aim of this day is to control Dengue by creating awareness and initiating preventive actions.
Thanks for choosing AffairsCloud. If you like our services, kindly suggest our site AffairsCloud.com to all your aspirant friends.