AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- As per the MoU signed by National Mission for Clean Ganga, HCL Foundation and INTACH , which tree is set to planted in the catchment area of river Ganga?
1) Peepal Tree
2) Rudraksh Trees
3) Neem Tree
4) Kadamb Tree
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rudraksh Trees
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), HCL Foundation and Indian National Trust for Art and Culture Heritage (INTACH) signed tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Plantation of Rudraksh Trees in Uttarakhand under the ‘Namami Gange’ Programme. The objective is to create a greener ecosystem in the Ganga Basin along the stretch of 97 towns and 4,465 villages.Under the project, the aim is to plant 10,000 Rudraksh trees in the catchment area of Ganga River in Uttarakhand.This project will also help to generate income for people residing in those areas.
- Where was the Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Service Selection Board (SSB) inaugurated recently?
1) Panambur Harbour, Karnataka
2) Kandla Harbour, Gujarat
3) Diamond Harbour, West Bengal
4) Mormugao Harbour, Goa
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Diamond Harbour, West Bengal
The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba inaugurated Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Service Selection Board (SSB) at Diamond Harbour, near Kolkata. Vice Admiral Karambir Singh, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command, has attended the inauguration.This is the fifth SSB- Service Selection Board of the Indian Navy.It selects both Permanent and Short Service Commission officers.The other Boards are located in Bhopal, Bengaluru, Visakhapatnam, and Coimbatore.SSB (Kolkata), sprawling over 27 acres on the Hooghly river-bank can screen an estimated 5000 officer-candidates annually.
- Where was the 6th Session of the biennial Global Platform for (DDR) Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) co-chaired by Switzerland and UNISDR ?
1) Paris, France
2) Vienna, Austria
3) Jakarta, Indonesia
4) Geneva, Switzerland
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Geneva, Switzerland
The 6th Session of the biennial Global Platform for (DDR) Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) has started in Geneva, Switzerland from 13th May to 17 May 2019 and is co-chaired by Switzerland and UNISDR. The Science and Policy Forum for the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) will be summoned in parallel with the Global Platform for DRR 2019.
- What is the theme of 6th Session of the biennial Global Platform for (DDR) Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019)?
1) Theme – “Resilience Dividend: Towards Sustainable and Inclusive Societies”
2) Theme – “Globalization towards Occupational Health and Safety”
3) Theme – “Optimize Applications. Transform the Business. Drive Growth”
4) Theme – “Reimagining the Knowledge Enterprise”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “Resilience Dividend: Towards Sustainable and Inclusive Societies”
The 6th Session of the biennial Global Platform for (DDR) Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) has started in Geneva, Switzerland from 13th May to 17 May 2019 and is co-chaired by Switzerland and UNISDR. The session is summoned under the theme, ‘Resilience Dividend: Towards Sustainable and Inclusive Societies’.The agenda of the session is to represent the next key opportunity for the international community to enhance the implementation of the Sendai Framework, related Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda, and commitments of the Paris Climate Agreement.The session has been hosted by Switzerland’s Government and has been summoned and organized by the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- Which country is set to co-chair the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) 2020?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) India
For the fiscal year 2020 (FY20), India was chosen as the Co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) during the session of the GFDRR in Geneva, Switzerland.India expressed its interest to co-chair the meet, at the 5th session of GFDRR held in October 2018.India became a Member of the Consultative Group (CG) of GFDRR in 2015 and this will be India’s 1st time in co-chairing the CG meeting of GFDRR which will, in turn, help India in working with the member countries and organisations in advancing the disaster risk reduction agenda during its tenure.
- Where was the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations held recently?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Tokyo, Japan
3) Beijing, China
4) Moscow, Russia
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Beijing, China
The opening ceremony of the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations was held in the China National Convention Center, Beijing, where Xi Jinping, Chinese President delivered a keynote speech. The Forum on Global Influence of Asian Civilizations is 1 of the 6 parallel forums of the “Conference of Dialogue on Asian Civilizations”.The Forum on Global Influence of Asian Civilizations is organized by the National Radio and Television Administration of the People’s Republic of China.
- What was the theme of the Global Influence of Asian Civilizations forum?
1) Theme – “Good Governance – Focus on Aspirational Districts”
2) Theme – “Building consensus for fair and sustainable development”
3) Theme – “Addressing the Critical Challenges of Our Time: Interdependence, Mutual Prosperity, and Universal Values”
4) Theme – “Asian Values for the World”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Theme – “Asian Values for the World”
The opening ceremony of the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations was held in the China National Convention Center, Beijing, where Xi Jinping, Chinese President delivered a keynote speech. The representatives from 47 Asian and other invited countries attended the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations event. The theme of the forum was “Asian Values for the World” where the speakers discussed the rich and contemporary values of Asian civilizations. A supporting activity termed as the “Dialogue on Asian Internet Audio-Visual Broadcasting Policy and Release of Cooperation Results,” will be held in line with the forum.
- Where was the multilateral maritime security field exercise, Asean Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) held?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Singapore
A multilateral maritime security field exercise has concluded in Singapore on May 13 after the completion of its sea phase. Singapore’s Ministry of Defence announced the conclusion of the sea phase of the exercise conducted under the Asean Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) grouping. The ADMM-Plus comprises the 10 Asean countries as well as Australia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.
- Which country has become the second country in the world after UK to declare ‘climate emergency’ ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ireland
Ireland becomes second country in the world after UK to declare ‘climate emergency’.The country’s climate action minister, Richard Bruton, warned climate change was the greatest threat facing humanity and the level of urgency was justified. An amendment to a parliamentary report declaring a “climate emergency” and calling on parliament “to examine how (the Irish government) can improve its response to the issue of biodiversity loss” was accepted without a vote late Thursday. Irish Green Party leader Eamon Ryan, who moved the amendment, called the decision “historic”.
- Which private sector bank has collaborated with IMGC (India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation) for a mortgage guarantee-backed home loan?
1) HDFC Bank
2) ICICI Bank
3) Yes Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) HDFC Bank
HDFC has collaborated with IMGC (India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation) for a mortgage guarantee-backed home loan. Mortgage guarantee is a financial product which compensates lending institutions for the losses that may occur when a home owner defaults on a mortgage loan.In ‘mortgage guarantee’, the risk of the home loan gets transmuted from the bank/FIs (financial institution) to the mortgage guarantee company.This collaboration will help HDFC provide more loan to a home loan customer on an improved eligibility.This initiative will also support the government’s mission under Prime Minister ‘Awas Yojana Scheme‘ to provide Housing for all by 2022.
- Name the bank, that was penalized by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with Rs.1 Crore for failing to fully automate the non-performing asset (NPA) identification process.
1) IndusInd Bank
2) Nainital Bank
3) RBL Bank
4) Lakshmi Vilas Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nainital Bank
Mumbai-based Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed Rs 1 crore fine to Nanital Bank. The reason behind this monetary penalty was because of Nanital Bank’s failure to fully automate the non-performing asset (NPA) identification process, despite specific directions issued in this regard. Under the provision of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 RBI has imposed the penalty because Nanital Bank has failed to adhere to the aforesaid direction issued by the RBI.
- Name the NGO foundation, whose registration was cancelled by the Home Ministry for violating the norms of receiving foreign grants.
1) Parinaam Foundation
2) Bharti Foundation
3) Infosys Foundation
4) Equitas Development Initiatives Trust
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Infosys Foundation
The Home Ministry has cancelled the registration of NGO Infosys Foundation under the Foreign Contribution (Regulations) Act (FCRA) for violating the norms of receiving foreign grants. Under the FCRA Act, all non-government organisations (NGOs) have to mandatorily register under the act. Infosys Foundation had not submitted annual income and expenditure statement on foreign funding for the last 6 years. Due to this reason, the registration of Infosys Foundation was cancelled by Home Ministry.Under the FCRA Act, there are guidelines according to which registered associations are required to submit annual report of income and expenditure statement, receipts and payment account, balance sheet etc. electronically. This submission should be done within the 9 months of the closure of the financial year.
- Kami Rita Sherpa was in news recently, he belongs to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mountaineering
On May 15, 2019, 49 year old Sherpa climber from Nepal, Kami Rita climbed Mt. Everest for the 23rd time and broke his own record for most summits on Mt. Everest. He successfully climbed the mountain from the Nepal side. Rita resides in Thame village of Solukhumbu district, Nepal.For the first time, he had scaled the mountain in the year 1994.In 2017, he became the third person to climb the highest peak for 21 times along with the record held by Apa Sherpa and Phurba Tashi Sherpa.
- Name the Indian women, who become the world’s first women to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo in a Light Sports Aircraft (LSA) recently.
1) Anny Divya
2) Aarohi Pandit
3) Bhawana Kanth
4) Avani Chaturvedi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Aarohi Pandit
A 23-year-old pilot from Mumbai, Captain Aarohi Pandit, became first woman in the world to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo in a Light Sports Aircraft (LSA). She had started her journey from Wick, Scotland (United Kingdom) and landed her aircraft at Iqaluit Airport, Canada, post a 3,000 km long flight, under extremely bad weather conditions, with short stopovers in Greenland and Iceland.This mission is a part of her ongoing 1-year-long global circumnavigation flight launched with her friend Keithair Misquitta. Aarohi Pandit will return to India by July 30, 2019.Social Access is the not-for-profit-communications firm which organised and sponsored the expedition.
- Who has been appointed as the Managing Director of ITC Limited after the demise of ITC Yogesh Chander Deveshwar?
1) Anil Baijal
2) Rajiv Tandon
3) Sanjiv Puri
4) Nakul Anand
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sanjiv Puri
A 56-year old Sanjiv Puri, Managing Director of ITC Limited has been appointed as the chairman of ITC. Now Sanjiv Puri became the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of ITC. Previous Manager of ITC Yogesh Chander Deveshwar has passed away recently on May 11, 2019. Sanjiv Puri was appointed as a Managing Director of ITC in 2018 and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in February 2017.
- A K Sikri has been appointed as the chairperson of which association?
1) Entertainment Network India Limited
2) Indian Broadcasting Foundation
3) Press Council of India
4) News Broadcasting Standards Authority
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) News Broadcasting Standards Authority
The News Broadcasters Association (NBA) notified that Arjan Kumar Sikri, former Supreme Court judge has been appointed as the chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority. The News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) is an independent self-regulatory body of 24×7 news channels (who are members of the NBA). It implements the Code of Broadcasting Ethics in the news industry. ii. Justice (retd) Sikri’s predecessor is Justice (retd) R V Raveendran.Justice Sikri’s immense experience in the judiciary is estimated to help the news broadcasters.
- Who has been appointed as the first chief of Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD)?
1) AK Dhingra
2) Subhash Bhamre
3) Sanjay Mitra
4) Ajay Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) AK Dhingra
Major General AK Dhingra has appointed as the first chief of Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD) which comprised of commandos from all the three service. The government has set up AFSOD which comprised of Special Forces commandos from Army’s Parachute Regiments, Navy’s Marine Commandos (MARCOS) and Air Force’s Garud commandos. The aim of this division is to undertake joint operations by three services. Major Dhingra is from elite 1 Para Special Forces Regiment. He was also the part of Indian Peacekeeping Force Operations in Sri Lanka from 1987 to 1990.This new division will work under the tri-services Integrated Defence Staff and headquarter of the division will be either in Agra or Bengaluru as per the ongoing discussion in the Defence Ministry.
- Kumar Tuhin was appointed as the Ambassador of India to which country?
2) Bosnia and Herzegovina
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bosnia and Herzegovina
On May 14, 2019, the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, announced the appointment of Shri Kumar Tuhin (Indian Foreign Service:1991) as the next Ambassador of India to Bosnia & Herzegovina with residence in Budapest. He is currently serving as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Hungary. He succeeds Rahul Chhabra.
- Who was appointed as the additional director on the board of Yes Bank for two years?
1) Rama Subramaniam Gandhi
2) Ravneet Gill
3) Mukesh Sabharwal
4) Brahm Dutt
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rama Subramaniam Gandhi
Under Sub-section (1) of Section 36 AB of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, The Reserve Bank of India announced the appointment of Rama Subramaniam Gandhi, former Deputy Governor of RBI, as an additional director on the board of Yes Bank for two years. He will serve Yes Bank as the additional director with effect from 14 May 2019 to 13 May 2021 or till further orders.Yes Bank had reported a loss of Rs.1,507 cr for March quarter. Rating agencies like ICRA and India Ratings have downgraded the bank’s rating. As a result, RBI has appointed R Gandhi to the board of Yes Bank as a precautionary measure and this will strengthen the governance of the bank.
- Chief Executive Officer, Vinay Dube has resigned from which international airways?
3) Jet Airways
4) Air India
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jet Airways
On May 14, 2019, Jet Airways’ four top Executives- Chief Executive Officer Vinay Dube, Chief Financial Officer and deputy CEO Amit Agarwal, Chief People’s Officer Rahul Taneja and Company Secretary and Compliance Officer Kuldeep Sharma resigned from their positions with immediate effect. They have resigned after finding the possibility that Etihad’s offer to invest in the airlines may not be sufficient to run the operations of the airlines. At present, Jet Airways is a debt-laden company. The total debt is above Rs.14,000 crores and it is bearing huge losses. As a result, it had stopped its operations from April 17.State Bank of India is the lead lender for Jet Airways.It is estimated that Rs. 8,000 crore will be needed to re-start its operations.
- Which country is developing the world’s largest optical telescope?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) India
India is playing a key role in the design and development of the world’s largest optical telescope—the Thirty Meter Telescope, or TMT, to be built at Mauna Kea in Hawaii.Construction of the telescope is expected to begin this year.Once commissioned in 2029-30, it will provide a bigger picture of the universe.
- Where was the India’s Smallest Orchids named “Lecanorchis Taiwaniana”, a parasitic bloom discovered recently?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
3) West Bengal
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Assam
India’s Smallest Orchids named “Lecanorchis Taiwaniana”, a parasitic bloom, was discovered in Assam by a forest officer Jatindra Sarma who is a Member Secretary of State Medicinal plants Board. It is small in terms of size as well as its tenure of bloom.It is a mycoheterotroph, a parasitic plant that has deserted the process of photosynthesis.The discovery was published in a Japanese Journal named Journal of Botany.For the first time, this small variant of Japanese Orchid is found in India. It was earlier discovered in Japan, Taiwan and Laos.
- Name the exotic flightless bird, which evolves back for the first time after 136,000 Years.
1) Madagascan rail
3) White-throated rail
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) White-throated rail
The white-throated rail (Dryolimnas cuvieri) which was extinct for more than 136,000 years reappeared on Indian Ocean Island. This new finding was published in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. It is now the last species of flightless bird left in the Indian Ocean.This rare evolution of this extinct bird is called iterative evolution.White-throated rails are originally from Madagascar, an island country lying off the southeastern coast of Africa, after that they migrated to Aldabra Atoll, Seychelles, where they lost their ability to fly due to the absence of predators. Then a new subspecies formed known as the Aldabran rail (Dryolimnas cuvieri aldabranus).The fossil evidence was of 100,000 years ago and the evidence for the claim comes from a fossil study at the University of Portsmouth and Natural History Museum of UK.
- Which football club has won the Premier League title 2019 and became the first team to retain its title in last 10 years?
1) Blackburn Rovers
2) Leicester City
3) Manchester United
4) Manchester City
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Manchester City
Recently, Manchester City defeated Brighton by 4-1 at the Amex Stadium, UK in Premier League title match. Manchester City became the first team to retain the title in last 10 years since Manchester United had done the same in 2009. Manchester City was one point ahead of Liverpool to win the title. Pep Guardiola has become one of the successful manager who gave eight league championship over 10 years in three countries.
- Samuel Sanchez was in news recently, he belongs to which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Cycling
Spain’s Samuel Sanchez, the 2008 Olympic road race champion, has been given a two-years back-dated ban after testing positive for human growth hormones in 2017. The International Cycling Union accepted Sanchez’s explanation that a contaminated supplement was at the root of the problem but said Monday it was banning him until August 2019. The 41-year-old was sacked by his then team BMC at the time of the test, just ahead of the Vuelta a Espana 2017.
- ICC suspends Nuwan Zoysa, Avishka Gunawardene alleging corruption in T10 league, they belong to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Srilanka
Former Sri Lanka players Nuwan Zoysa and Avishka Gunawardene were provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on charges of indulging in corruption in a T10 league in the UAE. Of the two, Zoysa is already under suspension for a previous allegation of corruption. The two have been given 14 days to respond to the charges. The ICC, on behalf of the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB), charged former Lankan bowling coach Zoysa on four counts and Gunawardene on two counts. But the world body did no specify the exact instances that led to the action against the two players. The charges relate to the T10 Cricket League played in the UAE in December last year.
- What was the theme of the International Day of Families(IDF) 2019?
1) Theme – “Fathers and Families: Responsibilities and Challenges”
2) Theme – “Families, education and well-being”
3) Theme – “Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG 13”
4) Theme – “Families and inclusive societies”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG 13”
As proclaimed by the UN (United Nations) General Assembly in 1993 with resolution A/RES/47/237, the International Day of Families or IDF is observed on May 15 every year since 1996, and it lays stress on the importance attached to families. Its theme for 2019 is: “Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG 13”. The main event of the International Day of Families took place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, which was organized by Division for Inclusive Social Development (DISD) of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA).The key SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) 13 targets are: SDG 13 target 13.3: To enhance education, awareness, human and institutional capacity on curbing climate change and adaptation. SDG 13 target 13.2: To incorporate climate change measures into national schemes, strategies and planning.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Gir forest is located in which state?Answer – Gujarat
The forest is located in Gujarat,it is in news recently because the Forest Department of Gujarat conducts a Herbivore Census in Gir forest. This year’s exercise is of particular significance because it is the last Herbivore Census ahead of next year’s Lion Census, which is a once-in-five-years exercise.
- What is the Capital and Currency of Bosnia & Herzegovina?Capital: Sarajevo & Currency: Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark
- Who is the President of Nepal?Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- What is the tagline of Nanital Bank?Banking with Personal Touch
- Which state celebrated the Pooram festival?Kerala