AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- India and UK have agreed to strengthen their ties in which of the following field?
i. Indo-Pacific cooperation
ii. Renewable energy
iii. Geology and Mineral Resources
iv. Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
1) Option i alone
2) Option ii alone
3) Option i & ii
4) Option ii & iii
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Option i alone
India and United Kingdom (UK) hold Foreign Office consultations in which both countries have agreed to strengthen their ties in the field of Indo-Pacific cooperation, climate change, disaster resilience, development in third world countries and others. Foreign Secretary, Vijay Gokhale led the Indian delegation and Sir Simon McDonald, Permanent Under-Secretary Foreign and Commonwealth Office of British government led the UK delegation. i. Besides the meeting, UK representative Sir Simon McDonald formally handed the instrument of ratification of the UK joining the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to Vijay Gokhale.
- Name the aircraft, that entered the Indian air space from an unauthorised air route recently.
1) Antonov An-13
2) Antonov An-12
3) Antonov An-14
4) Antonov An-15
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Antonov An-12
Antonov An-12 heavy cargo plane coming entered the Indian air space from an unauthorised air route & it was forced to land at Jaipur airport. It was left off after a thorough investigation.
- Aircraft, Antonov An-12 was in news recently, it is from which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Georgia
Antonov An-12 heavy cargo plane coming entered the Indian air space from an unauthorised air route & it was forced to land at Jaipur airport. It was left off after a thorough investigation.The aircraft neither responded on international distress frequency nor to visual signals during interception. However, when challenged, the aircraft responded and informed that it was a non scheduled An-12 aircraft that had got airborne from Tbilisi (Georgia) for Delhi via Karachi. The aircraft was shadowed and forced to land at Jaipur for necessary investigation.
- Which country is set to host the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)’s Ocean Conference in the year 2020 ?
1) Moscow, Russia
2) Beijing, China
3) Lisbon, Portugal
4) New Delhi, India
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Lisbon, Portugal
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has decided to hold Ocean Conference 2020 in Lisbon, Portugal from June 2 to 6, 2020. The objective of this conference is to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14 (SDG 14) which stated as to conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- What will be the theme of the Ocean Conference 2020?
1) Theme – “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions”
2) Theme – “To Create and bring around a Transformational leadership for Individuals and industry”
3) Theme – “Harnessing the power of technology in Healthcare”
4) Theme – “To finalize the strategy and questionnaire for the Census 2021”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions”
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has decided to hold Ocean Conference 2020 in Lisbon, Portugal from June 2 to 6, 2020 with a theme of “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions.” To support this conference, the resolution was adopted by the 80th plenary meeting of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) 73rd session.
- Name the rare disease caused by the virus,that was first time affected in Singapore.
1) Sheep Pox
2) Horse Pox
3) Cow Pox
4) Monkey Pox
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Monkey Pox
Singapore, for the first time, has detected a case with the rare monkey pox virus which was brought in by a Nigerian man. He thought to have got this rare virus by eating bushmeat. Monkey pox is a rare disease caused by the virus that is transmitted from animals, such as rodents and monkeys (through the hunting and consumption of bush meat), to humans. It is usually found in the central and western parts of Africa’s tropical rainforest.Symptoms of the disease are lesions, fever, muscle ache and chills.Atleast 23 persons have been traced and they were in the close contact of the infected Nigerian.
- Which country has released first of its kind “Global Health Security Strategy” in order to prevent, detect and respond to threats from infectious diseases?
3) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) United States
The US government has released first of its kind “Global Health Security Strategy”. The objective is to prevent, detect and respond to threats from infectious diseases occurring naturally or accidently and make efforts to help improve the world’s ability to stop and contain deadly outbreaks before they spread to other countries. The “Global Health Security Strategy” focuses mainly on three interrelated goals: To strengthen partner country global health security capacities. To increase international support for global health security. Prepare and resilient against the global health threats.
- What is the name of the world’s fastest bullet train that is tested by Japan recently?
2) Renfe AVE
3) Korail KTX
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) ALFA-X
Japan has begun testing the ALFA-X version of its fastest-ever Shinkansen bullet train that could reach 400 km per hour (249 mph). The bullet train ALFA-X (Advanced Labs for Frontline Activity in Rail Experimentation) is scheduled to start its service in 2030, when, rail company JR East would operate it at 360 kilometres per hour (224 mph). This speed will make it 10 kph faster than China’s Fuxing Hao, which links Beijing and Shanghai and operates at the same top speed. This would make ALFA-X, the world’s fastest bullet train. The ALFA-X’s futuristic design features 10 cars and a sleek pointed nose.The bullet train will be tested (after midnight, when the line is quiet) twice a week on the line between Sendai and Aomori, 2 Japanese cities, which are 280 kilometres apart.
- Which country’s railway department has signed agreement with Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd (KRCL) of Indian railways seeking two 1600 HP DEMU train sets?
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nepal
A PSU (Public Sector Undertaking) of the Indian government under the Railway Ministry, Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd (KRCL), signed an agreement in Kathmandu, with Nepal’s Department of Railways in the presence of Manjeev Singh Puri, Indian Ambassador to Nepal and Madhusudan Adhikari, Nepalese Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport Secretary. According to the agreement, KRCL will supply two 1600 HP DEMU train sets to Nepal’s Department of Railways.The trains were manufactured by the Integrated Coach Factory in Chennai.The trains each will consist of 3 coaches, including 1 A.C. (air-conditioned) coach.The 1600 HP DEMU trains will run between Jayanagar in India and Kurtha in Nepal, the 34 km long stretch.
- Who was appointed as coach of Indian men’s football team ?
1) Graham Reid
2) Gulam Rabbani
3) Lalnghinglova Hmar
4) Igor Stimac
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Igor Stimac
On 9th May 2019, Croatia’s World Cupper and former manager Igor Stimac has been appointed as Indian men’s team coach after the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) technical committee recommended him for the post.He succeeds Stephen Constantine. All India Football Federation (AIFF) interviewed Stimac, Albert Roca, Hakan Ericson and Lee for the post,but Stimac emerged as the number one choice.In his 14 year career span,Stimac coached the Croatian national team between 2012 and 2013.
- To which country, Subhash Chand is appointed as Ambassador of India?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Eritrea
On May 10, 2019, the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India announced the appointment of Shri Subhash Chand as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Eritrea. He is presently serving as the Deputy High Commissioner in the High Commission of India, Abuja. He is going to take up this responsibility very soon.
- Which British toy company was acquired by the Reliance Brands, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries (RIL) for a cash deal, worth USD 88.6 million?
1) The Lego Group
2) Bandai Namco Holdings
3) Hamleys Global Holdings Limited
4) Mattel, Inc.
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hamleys Global Holdings Limited
Reliance Brands, a subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Industries (RIL) has acquired 100% stake in British toy major Hamleys Global Holdings Limited from Hong Kong based C Banner International in a cash deal of worth USD 88.6 million. A 259 years old British toy major, Hamleys was founded in 1760 and currently it has 167 stores across 18 countries. ii. Reliance Lifestyle Holdings has Indian franchise of the Hamleys Global Holdings Limited and runs around 88 stores in 29 cities throughout the country.
- From which Aircraft manufacturing company,India had received its first Apache Guardian attack helicopter AH-64E (I) to Indian Air Force recently.
1) Thales, France
2) Boeing, U.S
3) Lockheed Martin, U.S
4) Sukhoi, Russia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Boeing, U.S
The Indian Air Force legally received its 1st Apache Guardian attack helicopter AH-64E (I) during a ceremony at the Boeing production facility in Mesa, Arizona, US (United States). This first attack helicopter in India’s defence arsenal was received by Air Marshal AS Butola, IAF.Apache is a stealthy and versatile machine that has been designed for all kinds of missions. It consists of: laser and infrared systems for day and night operations air to surface Hellfire missiles 70 mm rockets an automatic cannon
- Which two countries topped in illegal sand mining, as per the report titled “Sand and Sustainability: finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources” released by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)?
1) Option i & ii
2) Option i & iv
3) Option ii & iii
4) Option iii & iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option i & iv
According to the recent report released by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) titled ‘Sand and Sustainability: finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources‘, India and China top a list of nations where illegal sand mining has become a key environmental issue. According to the report, in 2017, China was listed 1st in the highest usage of cement at an approximated 2.4 billion tonnes while India was ranked 2nd, with 270 million tonnes, and USA (United States of America) was listed 3rd at 86.3 million tonnes. Worldwide, the demand for sand and gravel is around 50 billion tonnes per day.
- What is the name of the world’s first complete parent-wise genome assembly of buffalo developed by National Dairy Development Board (NDDB)?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) NDDB_ABRO_Murrah
Anand-based National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has developed world’s first complete parent-wise genome assembly of buffalo named “NDDB_ABRO_Murrah” of riverine buffaloes.This comes on the back of the successful launch of a customized genotyping chip for indigenous cattle and their crosses, named INDUSCHIP. To ensure better accuracy, for the first time a trio binning was used for separating haplotypes of a buffalo, using a father-mother-offspring trio. World buffalo population is estimated to be 224.4 million, of which 219 million (97.58 per cent) are in Asia.
- Name the journal, that recently published the discovery of deep-sea fish which can detect various wavelengths.
1) Journal of Veterinary Science
2) Journal of Science
4) Journal of Biology
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Journal of Science
A team of researchers led by Professor Walter Salzburger from the University of Basel, Switzerland have discovered that certain deep-sea fish have expanded their rhodopsin genes to detect various wavelengths in near-total darkness in the deep sea, the largest habitat on Earth.It was published in the Journal of Science. The genes can cover exactly the wavelength range of light “produced” by light-emitting organs of deep-sea organisms. This is known as bioluminescence.Some deep-sea fish have adapted to detect the tiny amount of residual light that makes it to the depths of the ocean using their highly sensitive telescope eyes.
- Yaya Toure was in news recently, he belongs to which sport?
1) Table Tennis
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Football
A 35-year old, former Manchester City and Barcelona midfielder Yaya Toure retired from football. He had won three premier league titles, two League Cups and one Football Association Challenge Cup (FA Cup) in 2011 for Manchester City and for Barcelona, he won two LaLiga titles and Champions League 2019.He was a professional player of Ivory Coast and named four times African Footballer of the Year in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Name the India’s longest-serving corporate chief, who was also the founder of ITC pvt limited passed away recently.
1) Bhishma Narain Singh
2) Chandrasekhar Rath
3) Yogesh Chander Deveshwar
4) Kedarnath Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Yogesh Chander Deveshwar
On May 11, Yogesh Chander Deveshwar, who built ITC passed away after a brief illness in a private hospital at Gurugram. He was 72. He was the India’s longest-serving corporate chief with over 20 years of experience. He had stepped down as the Chief Executive of ITC in 2017 and served the organization as the non-executive chairman. It was during his term, ITC saw the tremendous transformation from being a tobacco company to a multi-business union. YC Deveshwar was born on February 4, 1947 in Lahore.He completed B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from IIT-Delhi, followed by a diploma from Harvard Business School. He also took a training course in hotels and services from Cornell University.
- Narayana Hegde passed away recently, he belonged to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Singer
The 83-year old renowned singer, Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ Nebburu Narayana Hegde breathed his last, at his residence in Nebburu in Sirsi Taluk of Uttara Kannada. He was popularly called as Nebburu in Badgu Thittu school of Yakshagana. The singer is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ was a recipient of Karnataka Rajyotsava Award, which was then the Karnataka Yakshagana and Janapada Academy Award. He had also received many other awards like the Keremane Shivarama Award.A souvenir titled ‘Nebburu Ninada‘ was released in his honour.
- National Technology Day is observed annually on ____________?
1) May 8
2) May 11
3) May 10
4) May 9
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) May 11
Every year on May 11, National Technology Day is observed in India to mark India’s technological advancements. It also emphasizes the importance of science in our day-to-day life. This day marks the remembrance of the successful launch of Shakti-I nuclear missile at Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan on May 11, 1998. Along with the launch of Shakti-I nuclear missile, which was headed by the then President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, India also successfully test fired two nuclear weapons as part of Operation Shakti.
- Name the Indian Prime Minister, who declared May 11 as National Technology Day in order to commemorate the technological achievements made by India.
1) Indira Gandhi
2) Narendra Modi
3) Manmohan Singh
4) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
In order to commemorate the technological achievements made by India, the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee announced May 11 as the National Technology Day. This day also marks the launch of Hansa-3, India’s first indigenous aircraft. It was flown in Bengaluru when the nuclear tests were being conducted in Pokhran, Rajasthan.On the same day, the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) conducted the last test-fire of the Trishul Missile. This missile was later inducted into service by the Indian Air Force and Indian Army.
- What was the theme of the World Migratory Bird day, 2019?
1) Theme – “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”
2) Theme – “Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation”
3) Theme – “Their Future is our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People”
4) Theme – “Year of the Bird”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”
The World Migratory Bird Day for 2019 is observed on May 11. It is celebrated twice in the year, which falls on the second Saturday in May and October. In 2019, it will be celebrated on May 11 and October 10. The theme for this year is “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”. It is organized by the Secretariats of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) and the African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbird Agreement (AEWA) along with Environment for the Americas (EFTA). It is celebrated to raise the awareness on the need for protecting the migratory birds and their habitats.The first world Migratory Day was observed on the weekend of April 8-9, 2006.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of International Solar Alliance (ISA) located?Gurugram, Haryana
- Who is the President of Singapore?Halimah Yacob
- What is the Capital and Currency of Eritrea?Capital: Asmara & Currency: Eritrean Nakfa
- Where is the headquarter of National Dairy Development Board(NDDB) located?Anand, Gujarat
- Who is the President of All India Football Federation (AIFF)?Praful Patel