AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs March 8 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- With the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission, The Union Cabinet has approved to release an additional instalment of Dearness Allowance (DA) to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners with effect from 01.01.2018. What is the increased percentage?
5. 1%Answer – 4. 2%
The Union Cabinet has approved to release an additional instalment of Dearness Allowance (DA) to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners with effect from 01.01.2018 corresponding an increase of 2% over the existing rate of 5% of the Basic Pay/Pension, to compensate for price rise. This will benefit nearly 48.41 lakh Central Government employees and 61.17 lakh pensioners. The combined impact on the exchequer on account of both Dearness Allowance and Dearness Relief would be Rs.6077.72 crore per annum and Rs.7090.68 crore in the financial year 2018-19. This increase is in accordance with the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission.
- In which city of Haryana the first cyber police station was inaugurated?
5. GurugramAnswer – 5. Gurugram
Haryana’s first cyber police station was inaugurated in Gurugram, to facilitate registration of cyber offence related cases. CEO of Gurugram Metropolitan Development Authority, V Umashankar along with Sandeep Khirwar, Commissioner of Police, Gurugram, inaugurated the cyber police station at DLF office in Gurugram. The building for the cyber police station has been provided by DLF in Phase 5. The cyberpolice station has sufficient number of trained manpower already. Also, cybercrime experts from outside will be involved if the need arises. This cyber police station will function under the direct supervision of ACP Crime/DCP Crime Gurugram.
- On 8th March 2018, Ananthkumar, Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, announced the launch of ‘Suvidha’, the 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Pad. This pad will be offered for Rs.___ per pad?
5. 5.50Answer – 2. 2.50Explanation :
On 8th March 2018, Ananthkumar, Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, announced the launch of ‘Suvidha’, the 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Pad. The ‘Suvidha’ napkin is launched under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP). They will be available at allJanaushadhi Kendras in India by 28th May 2018 (World Menstrual Hygiene Day). The ‘Suvidha’ pads will be offered for Rs. 2.50 per pad. They can be availed at more than 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras. This has been introduced to ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’ for the underprivileged women of India. This initiative has been taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals.
- R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme in India. EESL will procure electric vehicles in huge numbers. For an electric car, the per kilometer cost is _______?
1. 95 paisa
2. 90 paisa
3. 85 paisa
4. 80 paisa
5. 75 paisaAnswer – 3. 85 paisa
R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme in India. The National E-Mobility Programme has been introduced to improve the e-mobility ecosystem that comprises vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) will implement the National E-Mobility Programme. EESL will procure electric vehicles in huge numbers. The electric vehicles will replace the existing petrol and diesel vehicles. EESL had procured 10,000 e-vehicles in 2017. Soon it will release a new tender for 10,000 more e-vehicles. For an electric car, the per kilometer cost is only 85 paisa. Whereas, it is Rs 6.5 for normal cars. This will help to reduce petroleum imports.
- Which Indian city has ranked 16th in the top 20 costliest cities in the world list, as per the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018?
5. MumbaiAnswer – 5. Mumbai
Mumbai has ranked 16th in the top 20 costliest cities in the world list, as per the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018. This index was developed based on four major indicators namely wealth, investments, lifestyle and future. Monaco has secured the first position among the top 20 costliest cities in the world. It is followed by Hong Kong in the second position. Third place is occupied by New York City and fourth place is bagged by London. The rise of Mumbai in this ranking is supported by the fast pace wealth creation in India.
- RBI (Reserve Bank of India) has imposed a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on which Bank, as the bank failed to comply with RBI’s directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes?
1. PNB bank
2. IDBI bank
3. HDFC bank
4. SBI bank
5. Canara bankAnswer – 4. SBI
RBI (Reserve Bank of India) has imposed a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on SBI (State Bank of India) as SBI failed to comply with RBI’s directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes. RBI has stated that, it detected deficiencies on SBI’s part in regulatory compliance with counterfeit note norms. RBI had inspected currency chests of two SBI branches and found that its instructions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes had been violated. After going through SBI’s reply and oral submissions during the personal hearing, RBI confirmed charges of non-compliance with its directions/guidelines and imposed a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on SBI.
- India-China bilateral trade has reached $_______ in 2017, in spite of bilateral tensions like the Doklam issue?
1. $70.44 billion
2. $78.44 billion
3. $80.44 billion
4. $82.44 billion
5. $84.44 billionAnswer – 5. $84.44 billion
India-China bilateral trade has reached $84.44 billion in 2017, in spite of bilateral tensions like the Doklam issue. Generally, the India-China bilateral trade is dominated by Chinese exports. In 2017, it witnessed around 40% increase of Indian exports to China amounting to $16.34 billion, according to the data of Chinese General Administration of Customs. In 2017, India-China bilateral trade increased by 18.63% compared to the previous year and reached $84.44 billion. The volume of bilateral trade reached $80 billion for the first time. The bilateral trade has reached this landmark, in spite of issues like China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, China blocking India’s efforts to establish a UN ban on J-e-M leader Masood Azhar, Beijing preventing India to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group, Doklam issue, etc.
- Neewee and EFLIGHT, two start-ups accelerated at Airbus Bizlab India, inked their first contracts with Airbus and subsidiary NAVBLUE to implement their unique innovative ideas in __________?
1. Share Markets
3. Greenhouse Warming
4. Ozone Depletion
5. ForestsAnswer – 2. Aerospace
Neewee and EFLIGHT, two start-ups accelerated at Airbus Bizlab India, inked their first contracts with Airbus and subsidiary NAVBLUE to implement their unique innovative ideas in aerospace. Neewee and EFLIGHT are start-ups based in Bengaluru. They were selected through second season of the Airbus Bizlab technology acceleration programme. These start-ups developed solutions under the mentorship of senior Airbus professionals,that can be improvised to meet the needs of Airbus and the aerospace industry. Neewee has come up with a solution called procuSense. This will improve certainty to manufacturing, supply chain and procurement operations at Airbus. EFLIGHT has developed a trip support solution that provides a set of services that enables business jet pilots to optimise plans for fuel, time, route and weather. These initiatives are in line with the government’s ‘Make in India’ and ‘Startup India’ initiatives.
- What is the penalty amount imposed by Competition Commission of India (CCI) on Jet Airways, SpiceJet and IndiGo for unfair business practices related to fixing fuel surcharge on cargo transport?
1. Rs 390 million
2. Rs 400 million
3. Rs 430 million
4. Rs 500 million
5. Rs 540 millionAnswer – 5. Rs 540 million
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed a total fine of nearly Rs 540 million on Jet Airways, SpiceJet and IndiGo for unfair business practices related to fixing fuel surcharge on cargo transport. Jet Airways was levied a fine of Rs 398.1 million, IndiGo was given a penalty of Rs 94.5 million and SpiceJet was fined for Rs 51 million. This action was taken by CCI based on a cartelisation complaint filed by Express Industry Council of India against Jet, IndiGo, SpiceJet, Air India and GoAir. CCI has imposed penalty at 3 % of the average relevant turnover of the airlines in the last three financial years.
- Who was appointed the official ambassador for Britain’s Industrial Cadets programme designed to nurture manufacturing skills?
1. Sanjeev Gupta
2. Nari Gandhi
3. Hafeez Pandala
4. B V Doshi
5. Raj RewalAnswer – 1. Sanjeev Gupta
Indian-origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta has been appointed by Britain’s Prince Charles as an official ambassador for the Industrial Cadets programme designed to nurture manufacturing skills. Gupta was appointment to the flagship programme to give children and young people direct structured experience of industry while still at school or college. The Industrial Cadets programme, which currently involves more than 15,000 youngsters across the UK, was set up at the behest of the Prince of Wales seven years ago after he visited steel plants at Teesside in north-east England.
- Who was appointed the next Ambassador of India to Lebanon?
1. Chitra Vishwanath
2. Shimul Javeri
3. Ravi Thapar
4. Eugene Pandala
5. Nengcha L. MukhopadhayaAnswer – 3. Ravi Thapar
Shri Ravi Thapar ,presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Lebanon in succession to Smt. Nengcha L. Mukhopadhaya.
- Name the Indian Architect who won the architecture’s highest honour – the Pritzker Prize 2018 for the first time?
1. Charles Correa
2. Laurie Baker
3. Raj Rewal
4. Rahul Mehrota
5. Balkrishna Vithaldas DoshiAnswer – 5. Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi
Architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi has been named the 2018 winner of architecture’s highest honour – the Pritzker Prize. He is the first Indian and the 45th laureate to receive the award. The award ceremony will take place at the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto this May. Tom Pritzker, chairman of the Hyatt Foundation that sponsors the award made the ammouncement in Chicago, selecting Doshi as the 2018 Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate. It is the most prestigious award in the field of architecture. His designs include the IIM-Bangalore; Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology, Ahmedabad; cultural spaces in Ahmedabad such as Tagore Memorial Hall, the Institute of Indology, and Premabhai Hall; among many others.
- Who has become the first woman to be directly inducted as combat officer into the ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police)?
5. PriyankaAnswer – 2. Prakriti
Prakriti has become the first woman to be directly inducted as combat officer into the ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police). Prakriti is 25 years old. She has a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. She had cleared the UPSC exam for officers’ recruitment in CAPFs (Central Armed Police Forces) in her first attempt. She is now based in an ITBP unit in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand. Soon she will join the Officers’ Training Academy of ITBP in Dehradun. ITBP has women in combat roles already. But they are present in constable ranks only. Prakriti is the first woman officer in combat role in ITBP. In 2016, the government permitted the CAPFs to induct women officers in combat roles. ITBP is one of the five CAPFs.
- An international team of scientists have provided the first proof of an exotic new state of matter, known as “Rydberg polarons”. Name the University which worked on this “Rydberg polarons?”
1. Vienna University of Technology in Austria
2. Harvard University in Massachusetts
3. Rice University in Texas
4. All the above
5. None of theseAnswer – 4. All the above
An international team of scientists have provided the first proof of an exotic new state of matter, known as Rydberg polarons. Scientists have described how a new state of matter can be created, by essentially putting atoms inside other atoms. Published in the journal Physical Review Letters, the work comes from the Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien) in Austria, Harvard University in Massachusetts, and Rice University in Texas. “Rydberg polarons” basically involves making use of the space between the electron and the nucleus inside an atom, enough to fit other atoms inside. The goal was to hit it in precisely the right way to boost one or more of its electrons into an orbital far from the nucleus, creating an excited state called a Rydberg atom.
- Shivaji Dasgupta recently passed away. Who was he?
5. SkydiverAnswer – 4. Broadcaster
Shivaji Dasgupta, a doyen of Indian broadcasting, breathed his last recently in the city after prolonged illness. He was 71. He passed away on February 26, but his death came to light only on Tuesday. A chartered accountant by profession, Dasgupta retired from Numaligarh Refinery Ltd as General Manager (Finance). He became the first Indian commentator to cover a football match from abroad when he commentated on India’s matches in AFC Asian Cup Finals from Singapore in 1984. In 2012, East Bengal Club honoured him with the Lifetime Achievement Award in broadcasting on the occasion of their Foundation Day on August 1.
- When is International Women’s Day (IWD) celebrated?
1. March 5
2. March 6
3. March 7
4. March 8
5. March 9Answer -4. March 8
International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year.It commemorates the movement for women’s rights.March 8 was suggested by the 1910 International Socialist Woman’s Conference to become an “International Woman’s Day.”The theme for International Women’s Day 2018 was chosen as – ‘Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives’.
- World Kidney Day is celebrated annually throughout the world on the _____________?
1. First Thursday of March
2. Second Thursday of March
3. First Tuesday of March
4. Second Tuesday of March
5. First Wednesday of MarchAnswer – 2. Second Thursday of March
World Kidney Day is celebrated annually throughout the world on the second Thursday of March. This year it met with the International Women’s Day and falls on March 8. World Kidney Day is a global awareness campaign aimed at raising awareness of the importance of our kidneys and how it’s related to our overall health. The objective of the day is to not just spread awareness about kidney diseases and its cure, but also spread how kidney diseases can be prevented. The theme of World Kidney Day 2018 is “Kidneys And Women’s Health: Include, Value, Empower”. The celebration was initiated by the joint committee of “International Society of Nephrology and International Federation of Kidney Foundations” and was first observed by 66 countries in 2006.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the headquarters of Competition Commission of India (CCI) located?New Delhi
- EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited) functions under which Ministry?Ministry of Power
- Which is the capital city of Libya?Tripoli
- YONO (You Only Need One) is an integrated banking platform offered by which bank?SBI
- Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary is in which state?Tamil Nadu