AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs March 24 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which is India’s first lunar mission launched by ISRO in 2008?
5. Lunar-1Answer – 4. Chandrayaan-1
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced that launch of India’s second lunar mission ‘Chandrayaan-2’, which was to be launched in April 2018, has been postponed to October 2018. The mission has been postponed as experts have suggested some additional tests before the launch. Chandrayaan-2 is a totally indigenous mission, under which, ISRO will for the first time attempt to land a rover on the moon’s south pole. Estimated cost of ‘Chandrayaan-2’ mission is Rs. 800 crore. Objective of this mission is to collect scientific information on lunar topography, elemental abundance, mineralogy, lunar exosphere and signatures of hydroxyl and water-ice. India’s first lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 was launched by ISRO in 2008.
- Which state has become North India’s 1st city to install Digital Automatic Speed Gun Cameras to check vehicles driving above the permissible speed limit?
4. Madhya Pradesh
5. GujaratAnswer – 3. Chandigarh
Chandigarh has become North India’s 1st city to install Digital Automatic Speed Gun Cameras to check vehicles driving above the permissible speed limit. The cameras will record the speed of the oncoming vehicles in its vision area and issue chalan to anyone driving above the stipulated city speed limit. The chalan along with image of over speeding will be sent to vehicle owner’s residential address. The cameras are equipped with night vision technology and can even function during night. Currently, Digital Automatic Speed Gun Cameras have been installed only on Chandigarh’s Jan Marg on trial basis. Once the trial is successful, it would be installed across the city.
- Which state Government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the British Council for cooperation and collaboration in several areas including education, skills and culture?
5. Tamil NaduAnswer – 2. Odisha
Odisha State Government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the British Council for cooperation and collaboration in several areas including education, skills and culture. The MoU was signed in presence of Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik and British High Commissioner in India, Dominic Asquith. As per the terms of the MoU, British Council will support Odisha State governments “Mo School” (My School) initiative by contributing to the development of English language skills for learners and teachers. Besides, Odisha State Government and British Council will collaborate in a number of fields including investment promotion, cultural exchange and sports. In context of this news, it is important to note that British Council has completed 70 years of presence in India.
- Which Indian city hosted the 5th India Maize Summit was held in Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)?
1. New Delhi
5. PuneAnswer – 1. New Delhi
On 23rd March 2018, the 5th India Maize Summit was held in Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), New Delhi. The India Maize Summit 2018 was organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). The India Maize Summit has been conducted since 2013. The India Maize Summit aims to provide a common platform to all stakeholders to highlight the opportunities in maize and discuss on actions that are required to improve the market. Union Agriculture Minister, Radha Mohan Singh presented the inaugural address at the event.
- From which city’s dockyard, three Minesweeper ships of Indian Navy, INS Konkan, INS Cannanore and INS Cuddalore, were decommissioned on March 23, 2018?
5. BombayAnswer – 4. Visakhapatnam
Three Minesweeper ships of Indian Navy, INS Konkan, INS Cannanore and INS Cuddalore, were decommissioned in a ceremony at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam on March 23, 2018. INS Cannanore was commissioned on December 17, 1987, INS Cuddalore was commissioned on October 29, 1987 and INS Konkan was commissioned on October 8, 1988. Each of these minesweepers sailed nearly 30000 nautical miles during their operational life spanning over three decades. The decommissioning ceremony was attended by 38 Officers and nearly 500 crew members who served on board these ships. Chief of Staff, Eastern Naval Command, Vice Admiral M S Pawar was the Chief Guest on the occasion and three retired commissioning Commanding Officers of these minesweepers were the guests of honour.
- In which state, Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved Indian Air Force (IAF) plan to set up a forward fighter base?
1. Uttar Pradesh
3. Madhya Pradesh
5. UttarkhandAnswer – 4. Gujarat
On March 21, 2018, Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved Indian Air Force (IAF) plan to set up a forward fighter base close to Deesa in Banaskantha district of Gujarat. IAF’s proposal is to form a forward fighter base by converting the small Deesa airport with a 1000-metre runway, which was used for helicopter landings and VVIP movements. CCS has sanctioned Rs. 1000 crore for setting up this base, which would include extending the runway and building necessary administrative facilities. Once operational, this strategic base will plug the critical air defence gap between the Barmer (in Rajasthan) and Bhuj air bases and will thereby enhance IAF’s ability to respond swiftly in case of any hostilities in India’s western skies. This base at Deesa will be the ninth base under Gandhinagar-headquartered South Western Air Command (SWAC) which covers Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- Which country has the least Imprisonment Rate across the world as per data compiled by Institute for Criminal policy Research?
5. SwedenAnswer – 3. India
As per data compiled by Institute for Criminal Policy Research, India has a significantly lower imprisonment rate and Indians are thereby the least criminal among world’s major economies. With imprisonment rate of 33, India seems to be better off than all major economies of the world. Imprisonment rate refers to number of individuals behind the bars out of every one lakh individuals in the population. United States has the highest imprisonment rate (666) among major countries.
Total Prison Population: Even in terms of total number of prisoners, United States has topped the list with 2145100 prisoners. On this parameter, India came in at number five with 419623 prisoners. Interestingly, 67.2% prisoners in India are not convicted criminals; rather they are people awaiting completion of trial.
Prison Occupancy: As per data, prisons in Haiti are the most over crowded with occupancy rate of 454%. Overcrowding in this context refers to more inmates as compared to the sanctioned strength for a particular prison.
- What is the contribution of India to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)?
1. USD 25 million
2. USD 15 million
3. USD 10 million
4. USD 5 million
5. USD 1 millionAnswer – 4. USD 5 million
India is among 20 nations that have pledged additional contribution to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA). At the Extraordinary Ministerial Conference held in Rome, Italy on March 15, 2018, 20 nations together pledged nearly USD 100 million for the cause. Qatar Pledged the highest additional contribution of USD 50 million while India pledged USD 5 million. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed gratitude to the 20 nations who pledged USD 100 million for Palestinian refugees and thereby helped to cover the shortfall in donations from the United States. The shortfall was created as, Donald Trump Administration in US, announced to indefinitely withhold USD 65 million dollars contribution to UNRWA.
- United States (US) challenged which country, at World Trade Organsiation (WTO) over intellectual property breaches?
5. UAEAnswer – 1. China
United States (US) challenged China at World Trade Organsiation (WTO) over intellectual property breaches. US has alleged that China is denying foreign patent holders (including US companies), basic patent rights that prevent Chinese entity from using the technology after a licensing contract ends. US has also accused China of violating WTO norms by imposing discriminatory contract terms against imported foreign technology. Based on these issues, US believes that China is giving unfair treatment to US companies and innovators trying to do business in China In context of this news, it is important to note that on March 22, 2018, Trump Administration in US slapped USD 60 billion imports tariff on China as a retaliatory action against the alleged theft of American intellectual property.
- Which country has decided to remove three zeros from its currency with the aim to control the prevailing hyperinflationary situation across the country which witnessed 6147 percent price rise in last 12 months?
5. PeruAnswer – 4. Venezuela
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro decided to remove three zeros of the Venezuelan currency Bolivar fuerte with effect from June 4, 2018. This decision is aimed at controlling the prevailing hyperinflationary situation across Venezuela which witnessed 6147 percent price rise in last 12 months. Situation has worsened to such an extent that common people in Venezuela are struggling to pay for food and find medicines. Currently, a dozen eggs can cost 250,000 bolívars in Venezuela. As per Mr. Maduro’s plan of eliminating three zeros, this price will come down to 250 bolivars. Some economist believe that this decision of eliminating zeros from the currency will not result in to desired outcomes as it does not change the underlying value of bolivar.
- Telangana Industries Minister KT Rama Rao announced a reduction in Value Added Tax (VAT) on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) to _______% from 16%?
5. 5%Answer – 1. 1%
Telangana Industries Minister KT Rama Rao announced a reduction in Value Added Tax (VAT) on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) to 1 per cent from 16 per cent. This decision is likely to boost air traffic at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport located near Hyderabad which has completed 10 years of operations. This airport, which is operated by GMR group already handles 50% more traffic than its designed capacity. Mr. KT Rama Rao also announced Telangana State Government plans to set up a logistics hub and a dry port near the airport and transform it into a multi modal transport hud.
- Reliance Industries (RIL) announced the merger of its digital music service JioMusic with which streaming service provider?
5. FlipkartAnswer – 2. Saavn
Reliance Industries (RIL) announced the merger of its digital music service JioMusic with Saavn, a streaming service provider. The combined entity is valued at more than $1 billion. JioMusic’s valuation amounts to $670 million. RIL said that, it will invest up to the rupee equivalent of $100 million in the combined entity. Out of this, rupee equivalent of $20 million will be invested for growth and expansion of the platform. The company will continue as an over-the-top (OTT) media platform. It will be available for download in all app stores. RIL will also acquire a partial stake from the existing shareholders of Saavn for $104 million. The co-founders of Saavn: Rishi Malhotra, Paramdeep Singh and Vinodh Bhat will continue in their leadership roles.
- On 23rd March 2018, Martin Vizcarra was sworn in as the new President of which country?
5. HollandAnswer – 3. Peru
On 23rd March 2018, Martin Vizcarra was sworn in as the new President of Peru. Martin Vizcarra replaces Pedro Pablo Kuczynski. Pedro Pablo Kuczynski resigned on 21st March 2018 due to a corruption scandal. Martin Vizcarra took oath as President of Peru on 23rd March 2018. He promised to eliminate economic corruption from Peru. Martin Vizcarra had served as vice president and Peru’s ambassador to Canada. Pedro Pablo Kuczynski submitted his resignation, after secret video recordings where showed to prove that he was involved in a corruption scandal.
- BJP has won how many Rajya Sabha seats out of the 10 seats in Uttar Pradesh in the Rajya Sabha elections held on 23rd March 2018?
5. 9Answer – 5. 9
BJP has won nine out of the 10 Rajya Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh in the Rajya Sabha elections held on 23rd March 2018. The BJP won nine seats out of 10 in the Rajya Sabha elections and SP (Samajwadi Party) candidate Jaya Bachchan won the tenth seat. BJP candidates who won the election are: Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Ashok Bajpai, Vijay Pal Singh Tomar, Sakal Deep Rajbhar, Kanta Kardam, Anil Jain, Harnath Singh Yadav and G V L Narasimha Rao and Anil Kumar Agarwal.
- Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented the G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for 2017 to Karan Thapar for which field, at an event held in Teen Murti Bhawan, New Delhi?
5. LiteratureAnswer – 2. Journalism
On 22nd March 2018, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented the G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for 2017 to Karan Thapar for journalism, at an event held in Teen Murti Bhawan, New Delhi. Karan Thapar is a senior journalist and television presenter. He has been awarded the G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for 2017 for his contribution to journalism. The function was organised by T Subbarami Reddy, the founder of G K Reddy Memorial Award and TSR Foundation. He is also a Rajya Sabha member from Congress.
- Which International Airport was presented the Skytrax award for being voted as the best regional airport in India and Central Asia by air travelers, at the World Airport Awards at Stockholm in Sweden?
1. Anna International Airport
2. Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
3. Indira Gandhi International Airport
4. Jaipur International Airport
5. Kempegowda International AirportAnswer – 5. Kempegowda International Airport
On 21st March 2018, the Kempegowda International Airport was presented the Skytrax award for being voted as the best regional airport in India and Central Asia by air travelers, at the World Airport Awards at Stockholm in Sweden. Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL) announced this information. Kempegowda International Airport is located at Devanahalli, Bengaluru. It is the third busiest airport in India. It has bagged this award for the second consecutive year and also in 2015 and 2011. The Skytrax awards is a passenger satisfaction assessment. It measures airport service excellence and quality. Airports were assessed based on survey conducted between August 2017 and February 2018.
- The National Boxing Academy of which Indian state will host the World Series of Boxing (WSB) clash between Indian Tigers and the Astana Arlans from Kazakhastan on 31st March 2018?
5. UttarkhandAnswer – 4. Haryana
The National Boxing Academy in Rohtak, Haryana, is to host the World Series of Boxing (WSB) clash between Indian Tigers and the Astana Arlans from Kazakhastan on 31st March 2018. The World Series of Boxing clash is held in India for the first time. The Indian team’s campaign is led by Sanjeet (+91 kg). He will fight with Abikhair Turlanbekov in a clash of titans. The Astana Arlans are the World Series of Boxing (WSB) reigning champions. In the opening two clashes, the Indian Tigers lost 1-4. They faced their first defeat against Astana Arlans and then against the Patriot Boxing Team in Russia.
- On 23rd March 2018, which state government observed the martyrdom day of Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh, Shaheed Sukhdev and Shaheed Rajguru as ‘Youth Empowerment Day’?
3. Jammu and Kashmir
5. RajasthanAnswer – 2. Punjab
The Punjab Government observed 23 March, the martyrdom day of Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh, Shaheed Sukhdev and Shaheed Rajguru as ‘Youth Empowerment Day’. On 23rd March 2018, to mark this occasion, a state level programme to administer oath to Drug Abuse Prevention Officers (DAPOs) was launched by Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh. The DAPO (Drug Abuse Prevention Officer) initiative has been launched to involve government employees and people of Punjab in the battle against drugs. Amarinder Singh paid tributes to Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev. The state level function was held at Khatkar Kalan village.
- When is World TB Day observed all over the world?
1. 22nd March
2. 23rd March
3. 24th March
4. 25th March
5. 26th MarchAnswer – 3. 24th March
On 24th March 2018, the World TB Day was observed all over the world.
When and Why: Every year the World TB Day is observed on 24th March. This day aims to create public awareness on the health, social and economic consequences of tuberculosis (TB). It works on increasing the efforts to end TB. On 24th March 1882, Dr. Robert Koch declared that he had discovered the bacterium that causes TB. Hence 24 March is observed as World TB Day.
Theme: The theme for World TB Day 2018 is: “Wanted: Leaders for a TB-free world”. At an event conducted in New Delhi on the World TB Day, Health Secretary Preeti Sudan released the TB INDIA 2018 Report and National Drug Resistance Survey Report. She also launched the NikshayAushadi Portal and shorter regimen for Drug Resistant TB.
- When is World Meteorological Day celebrated all over the world?
1. 19th March
2. 20th March
3. 21st March
4. 22nd March
5. 23rd MarchAnswer – 5. 23rd March
On 23rd March 2018, World Meteorological Day was celebrated all over the world. The World Meteorological Day is observed every year on 23 March. This day is celebrated to commemorate the formation of World Meteorological Organisation, which was founded on 23 March 1950. The WMO originated from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO). WMO acts as specialized agency of the United Nations for (weather and climate), operational hydrology and related geophysical sciences. The theme for World Meteorological Day 2018 is: “Weather-Ready, Climate-Smart.” This year focuses on the importance of countries being weather-ready.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- How many Member States and Territories are there in World Meteorological Organisation (WMO)?191
- Sohagi Barwa Sanctuary is in which state?Uttar Pradesh
- UNESCO Cutural Heritage Site Ellora Cave is in which state? Maharashtra
- Who is the Current Governor of Telangana?E.S.L. Narasimhan
- What is the capital city of Venezuela?Caracas