AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs June 8 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- President Ram Nath Kovind declared which fruit as the state fruit of Tripura, during his visit to Tripura recently?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Queen Pineapple
He distributed LPG connections to 20 beneficiaries under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana at Raj Bhavan in Agartala. He laid the foundation stone for the re-development and augmentation of Matabari temple in Udaipur for increasing religious tourism. The president declared “Queen Pineapple” as the state fruit of Tripura. It was the fruit that was first exported to West Asia recently. On Tripura’s economic and geographical potential it could help in improving business opportunities with the ASEAN countries.
- On June 8, 2018, Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Subhash Bhamre inaugurated 578 m long Theng tunnel. It is the longest tunnel of which state?
3.Jammu and Kashmir
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sikkim
It is constructed on Gangtok-Chungthang Highway by the Border Roads Organization (BRO). It is aall weather connectivity double lane tunnel. This has been done to provide improved mobility for the tourists and citizens travelling to north Sikkim.
- On June 8, 2018, The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, met and gave approval for the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over ____?
1.Rs 4500 crore
2.Rs 5500 crore
3.Rs 2300 crore
4.Rs 7000 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 5500 crore
These equipments include : 12 High Power Radars for the Indian Air Force under ‘Buy (Indian) IDDM’ category and Air Cushion Vehicles (ACVs) for the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Army from Indian Shipyard . The Radars can scan 360o without mechanical rotation of Antenna and will operate on 24 x 7 basis . The ACVs can travel at very high speeds over shallow water, sand banks, mud flats and swamps which are non-navigable by boats/small crafts due to draught restrictions/uncharted depths.
- The Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) has approved revised cost estimate of Dam Rehabilitation & Improvement Project (DRIP) for ____ and has extended time duration for ending this project till June 2020?
1.Rs. 3466 Crore
2.Rs. 4900 Crore
3.Rs. 4500 Crore
4.Rs. 5100 Crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs. 3466 Crore
A meeting of the Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) under the Chairpersonship of Secretary, Department of Expenditure, was conducted recently. The meeting heard the proposal of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation for revised cost estimate of DRIP. DRIP is funded by World Bank. DRIP is a state sector scheme with central component. It aims to enhance safety and operational performance of selected dams and institutional strengthening with system wide management approach.
- Union Minister of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Mines, ____ will present the National Awards on Best Performing Self Help Groups under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) on 11th June 2018 in New Delhi?
2.Narendra Singh Tomar
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Narendra Singh Tomar
The National Awards to the Self-Help Groups (SHGs) are given to honour their outstanding performance and encourage their work. These awards were initiated by DAY-NRLM in 2016-17. For 2017-18, 34 SHGs have been shortlisted for the National Awards. The DAY-NRLM awards will be presented to the Best Performing Community Based Organizations (Self Help Groups and Village Organizations). The SHGs are assessed based on Institution Building-Capacity Building, Financial Inclusion, Livelihoods, Convergence etc. and then nominated for the awards.
- On June 8, 2018, Ministry of Shipping in association with Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gramin Kaushal Yojana (DDU-GKY), Ministry of Rural Development conducted a one-day workshop on “Skill Development in the Port and Maritime Sector” in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi
Skill gap studies of 21 coastal districts in eight states and three Union Territories : Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Odisha, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep were done . Training of 500 students per-year-per-district for the next 3 years through Sagarmala DDU GKY (MoRD) will be provided. The first phase, training has commenced for 2028 students, 1917 have been trained and 1128 have been placed. 92 students are under training in Odisha.
- A Concession and Development agreement (CADA) has been signed in Vijayawada between the Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority(APCRDA) and Singapore-Amaravati Investments Holdings (SAIH) for joint development of 684 hectare start up area in which city?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Amaravati
A Concession and Development agreement (CADA) has been signed in Vijayawada between the Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority(APCRDA) and Singapore-Amaravati Investments Holdings (SAIH) for joint development of 684 hectare start up area in Amaravati. This would also include the development of river Krishna Waterfront by Amaravati Development Corporation (ADC).
- The West Bengal Government has decided to invest _____ to curb erosion in the banks of rivers Ganga and Padma?
1.Rs 107 crore
2.Rs 110 crore
3.Rs 150 crore
4.Rs 140 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs 107 crore
To prevent erosion, a stretch of 15 kilometres will be concretised. The work will be finished by March 2019. This will safeguard hundreds of homes and the river bank that is near the outposts of the Border Security Force on the Indo-Bangladesh border from washing away by the strong currents.
- On 7th June 2018, where was the 17th round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Myanmar held?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
The Indian side was led by Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale. The Myanmar side was led by Permanent Secretary in Ministry of Foreign Affairs, U Myint Thu. Both the countries reviewed the bilateral relations. They discussed on high-level visits, security and defence related issues, boundary matters and border management, trade and commerce, development cooperation, connectivity, cultural and consular matters. They exchanged views on sub-regional, regional and global issues of mutual interest between both the countries.
- On 7th June 2018, which state Government launched a “Business First Portal” that was released by Industry Minister Sunder Sham Arora?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Punjab
Sunder Sham Arora said that this online portal will help industrialists in Regulatory Clearances and Fiscal Approvals. It offers real time tracking of applications. He said that this portal is a one-step solution for industrialists. He said that Regulatory clearances of all other departments will be integrated in the portal. He added that Self access facility for the applicants has been provided in the portal. He said that Punjab Government would provide 100% VAT refund to industrialists by the end of 2018.
- On June 8, 2018, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare signed an MoU with the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Norway to extend the cooperation within health sector through the Norway India Partnership Initiative (NIPI) for a period of how many years?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.3
The area of focus include maternal, new-born, child health, and shall build on experiences from NIPI phase I and II. This would focus on innovative, catalytic and strategic support, and stride in taking the Indian Government’s Intensification Plan for Accelerated Maternal and Child Survival in India. The Phase III would be built on Phase I and II to built innovation hubs and thereby intensifying districts. The best practices in maternal and newborn child health carried out under the National Health Mission and NIPI.
- On June 8, 2018, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj started her 5 day tour to which country to attend BRICS and IBSA Ministerial meetings and commemorate 125th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s journey against racial discrimination?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.South Africa
She would attend BRICS meeting of foreign ministers held on June 4 and meeting of IBSA (India, Brazil, South Africa) This would commemorate the 125th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s journey against racial discrimination . Swaraj will visit the Phoenix settlement where Mahatma Gandhi had developed his philosophy of non-violence.
- Where is the 22nd edition of Exercise Malabar held from 7th to 16th June 2018?
1.Guam, United States
3.California, United States
4.Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Guam, United States
Exercise Malabar was started in 1992 as a bilateral exercise between the US Navy and the Indian Navy. From 2007, Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) also takes part in this exercise. This exercise aims to enhance mutual understanding, inter-operability and exchange of best practices between the three countries. This is the first time it is held off Guam, a US Naval Base in the Western Pacific region.
- On June 8, 2018, the RBI amended Gold Monetisation Scheme to enable people to open a hassle free gold deposit account. In the latest amendment, RBI allowed the customers to deposit the gold in a broken time period where the short term period of one to ____ years can be broken to 1 year 3 months , 2 years 3 months 15 days etc.?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.three
The scheme was first launched by the government in 2015 to mobilise the idle gold of the household or institutions to the banks as deposits for a fixed period of time . The interest rate varied from 2.25% to 2.5%. In the latest amendment , RBI allowed the customers to deposit the gold in a broken time period where the short term period of 1-3 years can be broken to 1 year 3 months , 2 years 3 months 15 days etc. Similarly for Medium Term Period is for 5-7 years and Long Term Period for 12-15 years and can be broken as well.
- On June 8, 2018, Bank Of India has raised its marginal cost lending rate (MCLR) by how many basis points?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.10
Tenure Increase by (basis points) Latest rate of Interest Overnight 10 7.90 One – Month 10 8.20 Three months 10 8.30 Six months 10 8.45 One year 10 8.50
- On June 8, 2018, Mr. Ramesh Abhishek, Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy Promotion announced that Foreign Direct Investment in India has risen up to ____ billion in 2017-18?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.$61.90
The FDI inflows were $60 billion in 2016. FDI has increased by $222.75 billion from $152 billion in 4 years. According to United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) the FDI to India has decreased to $40 billion in 2017 from $44 billion in 2016. And outflows have doubled.
- On June 8, 2018, Credit rating Agency Moody’s predicted India’s fiscal deficit to be ____% of GDP for FY 2018-19?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.3.3
The planned expenditure of the govt has been suggested to be cut back . Government is likely to reduce excise duty on petroleum and diesel products if the price of global crude continues to remain high. Budgetary cost of the new minimum support price formula for agricultural products and extra subsidies on LPG and kerosene could put additional pressure on expenditure. Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act to enhance its existing fiscal policy framework and strengthen policy credibility.
- On June 8, 2018, who was appointed by World Economic Forum (WEF) as a member to its Managing board?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sarita Nayyar
She is presently working with WEF as Chief Operating Officer (COO) . She joined WEF in 2007 and have been holding various directorships including responsibility for engagement with the consumer industries, MD and COO of WEF LLC and Deputy Head of Industries. She would overlook the international expansion with upcoming centres in India and Japan.
- Name the person who took charge as the caretaker chief minister of Pakistan’s Punjab Province, on 8th June 2018?
1.Mahmud Al Saini
2.Professor Hasan Askari Rizvi
4.Mohammed Aarif Khan
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Professor Hasan Askari Rizvi
Hasan Askari Rizvi was administered oath of office and secrecy at the Governor’s House in Lahore. On 7th June 2018, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) nominated Hasan Askari Rizvi after the parliamentary committee failed to choose the interim chief minister of this province. Hasan Askari Rizvi is a political scientist and military analyst. He worked as a visiting professor of Pakistan Studies at Columbia University from 1996 to 1999. He was awarded Sitara-e-Imtiaz in 2010. He has published books like Military, State and Society in Pakistan and The military and politics in Pakistan: 1947 – 1997.
- Around one third of all water wells tested in which Indian state, contained uranium levels that exceed the World Health Organization (WHO) and US Environmental Protection Agency’s safe drinking water standards?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rajasthan
As per the study, the main source of uranium contamination is natural. But human factors like groundwater-table decline, over-exploitation of groundwater for agricultural irrigation and nitrate pollution worsens it. Exposure of uranium in drinking water might cause chronic kidney disease. Around one third of all water wells tested in Rajasthan, contained uranium levels that exceed the World Health Organization (WHO) and US Environmental Protection Agency’s safe drinking water standards. Aquifers contaminated with similar high level contamination of uranium in 26 other districts in northwestern India and nine districts in southern or southeastern India were identified. The study has been published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology Letters.
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore has approved the upward revision of pension to meritorious Sportspersons. As per which, medallist at the Olympic/Para-Olympic Games will be awarded _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs.20,000
The rate of pension for medal winners in the Para-Olympics Games and Para Asian Games will be equal to the medal winners in the Olympic Games and Asian Games respectively. World Championships held once in four years will be considered only for pension. As per the revised scheme the sportsperson should retire from active sports career and reach the age of 30 years at the time of applying pension. For existing pensioners, the revision in rate of pension will come to effect from 1st April 2018.
- Who has been named the most valuable player for the upcoming FIFA World Cup that starts on 14th June 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Harry Kane
Harry Kane is the lead striker of the English National Team. He is estimated to be worth 201.2 million euros. The values have been calculated by the CIES Football Observatory algorithm. He is followed by Brazilian player Neymar, who is worth 197.5 million euros in the 2nd spot and Kylian Mbappé in the 3rdplace who is worth 186.5 million euros. Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona is at the fourth spot with estimated transfer value at 184.2 million euros. Egyptian player Mohammad Salah of Liverpool team is at fifth position and is worth 171.3 million euros.
- On 7th June 2018, which Indian player created a new national record and won a gold medal in the men’s hammer throw event at the 2018 Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Gifu, Japan?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ashish Jakhar
India won four gold medals, 1 silver medal and 2 bronze medal at the first day of the 2018 Asian Junior Athletics Championships. Ashish Jakhar threw the 6kg iron ball and chain to a distance of 76.86m and broke his previous record of 75.04m that he had set at the Junior Federation Cup in April 2018. India’s Damneet Singh came second and won silver medal with a throw of 74.08m. Japan’s Masanobu Hattori came third with a throw of 69.34m. India’s Priyadarshini Suresh won bronze medal in the women’s triple jump.
- When was World Brain Tumor Day observed all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.June 8
World brain tumour day is observed on 8th June every year since 2000. World brain tumour day was first observed by German Brain Tumour Association (Deutsche Hirntumorhilfe e.V.). This day helps to create awareness among the public about brain. This day also focuses on helping people suffering from brain tumor. Brain tumor is developed in brain cells. The brain cells multiply abnormally in an uncontrolled manner.
- When was World Oceans Day 2018 with action focus: preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean, was celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.June 8
On 5th December 2008, UN General Assembly declared 8th June as World Oceans Day. World Oceans Day is celebrated to highlight the major role played by oceans in our lives. This day creates awareness about the impact of human actions on the ocean. The Action focus for World Oceans Day 2018 is: preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of FIFA (International Federation of Association Football):Gianni Infantino
- Where is Visvesvaraya Stadium located?Mandya, Karnataka
- What is the tag line of Bank of Baroda?India’s International Bank
- Where is the headquarters of World Economic Forum?Cologny, Switzerland
- Where is International Dolls Museum located?Chandigarh