AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs July 29 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On July 29, 2018, The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development &Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan, laid the foundation stone of National Skill Training Institute (NSTI) for Women at ______?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mohali, Punjab
The cost of the project is Rs.17 crores. This is the first NSTI Institute for Punjab and is exclusively for women. It would be developed into “Trainers Training Institute” which will give training in traditional areas for women like beauty care, cosmetology & fashion design and also in technology.
- On July 29, 2018, The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) launched a mobile application named _____ that will provide information on extreme weather events in Mumbai?
2.Mumbai Weather Live
3.Know Your Mumbai
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mumbai Weather Live
It also launched forecasts for Char Dham and Amarnath pilgrims that can be accessed by registered users of through website of IMD or Map my India. It has also launched an air-pollution emergency prediction system which could be ready for launch by October 2018. It would provide: monsoon forecasting, weather or climate parameters, ocean state, earthquakes, tsunamis and data related to earth systems for public safety. The Ministry with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) would also launch ‘push SMS alerts’ for mobile users across the country.
- On 27th July 2018, the high-level panel on data protection framework headed by _____ submitted its report to the government, that included recommendations on changes to the Aadhaar Act, amending the Right to Information Act etc.?
1.Justice B N Srikrishna
2.B M Deosthalee
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice B N Srikrishna
The panel submitted its report to IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. It has suggested steps for safeguarding personal information, defining obligations of data processors, rights of individuals, and penalties for violation. Ravi Shankar Prasad said that the report will go through inter-ministerial consultations and Cabinet and parliamentary approval. The report focuses on 3 aspects: citizens, the state and the industry. The report covers issues like consent, rights of children, data protection authority and right to recall data.
- On 14th to 19th July 2018, the 11th state-level pineapple festival cum Sellers & Buyers Meet and Youth Festival, 2018, was held in Thambalnu Market Complex under Andro constituency in Thoubal district of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Manipur
The festival was organized by Development Organisation, Andro Kendra (DOAK) through Eastern Border Area Development Authority. It was inaugurated by Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla. In this festival, sellers and buyers met to promote pineapple as a viable cash crop and help the farmers to attain a sustainable livelihood. The festival aimed to help the farmers to become economically stable and enhance their livelihood. 163 pineapple stalls and 32 food stalls were put up by indigenous tribes from Andro AC in the festival. The festival is celebrated since 2008.
- On 28th July 2018, which state government approved a proposal for setting up a riverine port on river Mahanadi in Kendrapara district?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Odisha
The port will developed on a public-private-partnership mode on build, own, operate, share and transfer (BOOST) basis. The proposal was approved at a meeting of the High Level Clearance Authority (HLCA) that was held under the chairmanship of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. The project will developed in Akhadasali village under Mahakalpada block in Kendrapara district. According to the proposal, the port will be established in 2 phases. In the first phase, 2 berths will be developed for transportation of 18.43 million tons cargo per annum for which expenditure is estimated to be Rs 2,110 crore.
- On July 29, 2018, the Chief Minister of which state announced that the state government would implement its own food security act from October 2?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Odisha
On July 29, 2018, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced that the state government would implement its own food security act from October 2. It would cover nearly 34.44 lakhs people left out of National Food Security Act (NFSA). Earlier it had launched the Act with rice at Re 1 per kg for people living below poverty line in 2013. This was announced in ‘Ama Mukhyamantri, Ama Katha’ (Our Chief Minister, Our Issues) program.
- On July 29, 2018, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman handed over two types of indigenously built high-power multi-fuel engines named V92S2 and V-46-6, to the Vice Chief of Army Staff Devaraj Anbu. The engines were manufactured by the Engine Factory in _____?
1.Avadi, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Avadi, Tamil Nadu
The engines were manufactured by the Engine Factory, Avadi, a unit of Ordnance Factory Board, Department of Defence Production. It was made with 100% local parts. The efforts under Make in India by the Engine Factory would save Rs 80 crore of the exchequer every year. The first engine is of 1000 HP named V92S2 engine and it powers T-90 Bhisma Tank. The second engine is V-46-6 engine and it powers the T-72 Ajeya Tank and its variants.
- On 29th July 2018, Mohun Bagan ‘Ratna’, the highest honour of Mohun Bagan club was awarded to former India international _____ at its foundation day programme?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Pradip Chowdhury
Other awardees are:
• Goalkeeper Shilton Paul- Best Footballer for the year 2017-18
• Sudip Chatterjee- Best Cricketer
• Sourav Das- Best Youth Footballer Player
• Special award to – Rahim Alifor his performance in the U-17 World Cup
- On 27th July 2018, which firm was awarded the INFRA Icon Award in the ‘Global Energy’ category at the mid-day INFRA Icons Awards 2018, in Mumbai?
1.Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
2.Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
3.Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
4.Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
The award was given away by Additional Metropolitan Commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), Pravin Darare. The award was received by Executive Director-Head Regional Office, ONGC Mumbai, S. Gopinath. ONGC has received this award as a recognition of its valuable contribution in upgrading India as a whole. The ‘INFRA Icons’, is an initiative by mid-day. It aims to bring a change with trendsetters related to the infrastructure of India.
- On July 27 -28, 2018, a rare celestial event of the longest lunar eclipse to date called the _____ was seen?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Blood Moon
It would last for 1 hour and 42 minutes and 57 seconds. It is considered as the 21st century’s longest lunar eclipse. The longest total lunar eclipse of the last century happened on 16 July 2000, lasting nearly four minutes longer, at 1 hour and 46.4 minutes. The next such phenomenon can be witnessed on June 9, 2123 according to a National Geographic report.
- On 25th to 29th July 2018, 2018 Jordan Junior and Cadet Open was held in Amman, Jordan. India won a total of how many medals in the tournament?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.15
Some of the medal winners are listed below:
Name Medal Category Suhana Saini Gold mini-cadet girl’s singles Deepit Patil and Dev Shroff Gold cadet boy’s doubles Manush Shah Silver junior boy’s singles Rajveer Shah Silver mini cadet boy’s singles Prapti Sen and Selena Selvakumar Bronze junior girl’s category Swastika Ghosh and Nithya Mani Bronze cadet girl’s singles Anukram Jain Bronze junior boys singles Surbhi Patwari and Prapti Sen Bronze junior girl’s doubles Payas Jain and H Jeho Bronze cadet boy’s doubles Diya Chitale and Trisha Gogoi Bronze cadet girl’s doubles Nithya Mani and Munmun Kundu Bronze cadet girl’s doubles
- On July 29, 2018, who set a world record of 58.00sec to win the 100m backstroke at the US swimming championships?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Kathleen Baker
On July 29, 2018, Kathleen Baker set a world record of 58.00sec to win the 100m backstroke at the US swimming championships. Earlier world record of 58.10 set by Canadian Kylie Masse at the World Championships in Budapest on July 25 of last year. The top three finishers all broke 59 seconds, with Olivia Smoliga second in 58.75 and Smith third in 58.83.
- When was 8th International tiger day or Global Tiger day celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.July 29
To commemorate this day, walls of Amravati railway station are being covered with wildlife paintings, to create awareness about the importance of protection of tigers. A new initiative to make people earn livelihood has been started by Melghat Tiger Reserve in 8 villages near Dhyanaganga Sanctuary in Buldana district. According to the tiger census, carried out in 2017, Melghat has 41 adult tigers and 18 cubs. It is under The Project Tiger which now says that India has more than 50 reserves.
- The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) hunting probe of which space agency has started operations to look for new worlds?
1.ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)
2.NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
3.CNSA (Chinese National Space Agency)
4.European Space Agency
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
NASA’s latest planet hunting probe – the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) – has started its search for new worlds around nearby stars. TESS is expected to transmit its first series of science data back to Earth in August, and thereafter periodically every 13.5 days, once per orbit, as the spacecraft makes it closest approach to Earth.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Sirohi National Park located?Manipur
- Who is the Chairman and MD of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)?Shashi Shanker
- Name the President and headquarters of International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)?President – Thomas Weikert; Headquarters – Lausanne, Switzerland
- Where is Balimela Wildlife Sanctuary located?Odisha
- Who is the President of Mohun Bagan Athletic Club based in Kolkata?Mr. Swapan Sadhan Bose