AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 8 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which Indian city hosted the 18th All India Whips’ Conference 2018?
1. Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2. Thrissur, Kerala
4. Mumbai, Maharashtra
5. Kolkata, West BengalAnswer – 3. Udaipur, Rajasthan
18th All India Whips’ Conference began in Udaipur, Rajasthan on January 8, 2018. The two-day conference was inaugurated by Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and Chemicals & Fertilizers, Ananth kumar.Among other things, rolling out of e-Sansad and e-Vidhan in Parliament and State Legislatures will also be considered during the course of the conference. e-Sansad and e-Vidhan are Government of India’s projects under Digital India, aimed at making the functioning of Parliament and State Legislatures paperless.Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs is the Nodal Ministry for implementation of e-Sansad and e-Vidhan projects. These projects would not only make the functioning of Parliament and State Legislatures participative, transparent, responsive, productive and more accountable but will also promote Government of India’s ‘Go Green’ initiative.
- What is the initiative launched by BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd (one of Delhi’s two electricity distribution companies), aimed to maximise rooftop solar power use in south and west Delhi?
1. Smart City Initiative
2. Solar Panel Initiative
3. Solar Power Initiative
4. Solar City Initiative
5. Green City InitiativeAnswer – 4. Solar City Initiative
BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd (one of Delhi’s two electricity distribution companies) launched “Solar City Initiative”, aimed to maximise rooftop solar power use in south and west Delhi. Under this initiative, rooftop solar installations will be provided at a single point for the entire apartment complex unlike conventional method of having individual installations. This initiative has been launched in partnership with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) PACE-D and Indo-German Collaboration (GIZ). Around 150 residential societies will be targeted in the first phase. Depending on the response, the programme will be expanded to other residential segments across Delhi. From consumers’ perspective, these installation may lead to monthly saving on bills of about Rs 750 for a period of 25 years.
- Which city in India launched a common card for rides on public buses and the metro and thereby became the first city to have such common mobility card?
5.DelhiAnswer – 5. Delhi
Delhi Chief Minister, Arvind Kejriwal launched a common card for rides on public buses and the metro. Delhi is thus the first city in India to have such common mobility card. This card can be used at on 200 Delhi transport Corporation (DTC) and 50 cluster buses running on different routes as well as on metro trains. The common card can also function like a debit card. It will be operational in all DTC and cluster buses from April 1, 2018.
- Which state hosted the Annual Conference of DGPs and IGPs at the BSF (Border Security Force) Academy?
2. Madhya Pradesh
5. OdishaAnswer – 2. Madhya Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took part in the Annual Conference of DGPs and IGPs at the BSF (Border Security Force) Academy in Tekanpur, Madhya Pradesh. The DGPs Conference is conducted annually. It has participation from top police officials from all over India. They discuss issues related to security matters. This Annual DGP Conference is held outside the national capital in line with Prime Minister’s vision to conduct such conferences all over India, not restricted only to Delhi.
- Which State Government has directed all District Collectors and Superintendents of Police to take action against unauthorised loudspeakers and public address systems installed at religious and public places?
5. TelanganaAnswer – 1. Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh State Government has directed all District Collectors and Superintendents of Police to take action against unauthorised loudspeakers and public address systems installed at religious and public places. The officials have been directed to conduct a survey for the same and submit a detailed report to State Government on January 10, 2018. Those using loudspeakers without approval should obtain permission by January 15, 2018, failing which, action will be taken against them under the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000. All unauthorised equipments would be removed by January 20, 2018 in accordance with direction of the Allahabad High Court.
- In which country, the 34th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival, world’s largest ice festival was celebrated?
5.ChinaAnswer – 5. China
34th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival, world’s largest ice festival opened on January 5, 2018 in Harbin (north-east China). The festival will continue through late February. This year’s highlights are the ice sculptures of castles, historic landmarks and famous figures, including Moscow’s Red Square, Bangkok’s Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Beijing’s Temple of Heaven. The ice park is spread across 197-acre land. More than 10000 workers were engaged in building the ice sculptures. In 2017, the ice festival had eighteen million visitors despite -30 degrees temperature. It fetched 28.7 billion yuan tourism revenue for Harbin.
- Which country has banned English from being taught in primary schools across the country after its Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei said that teaching English will lead to Western cultural invasion?
3. Saudi Arabia
4. Abu Dhabi
5. DubaiAnswer – 2. Iran
Iran has banned English from being taught in primary schools across the country after its Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei said that teaching English will lead to Western cultural invasion. Rationale cited for ban on English is that, primary education lays the groundwork for the Iranian culture among students. Thus emphasis should be laid on teaching Persian language rather than English.The ban applies to Government as well as non-government schools across Iran. Khamenei has stated that ban does not imply opposition to learning a foreign language, but opposition to promotion of a foreign culture in the country and among children, young adults and youths.
- What is the announcement made after the annual Haj agreement between India and Saudi Arabia which was signed in Mecca?
1. Sending pilgrims through ships
2. Indian muslim women will go to Haj without ‘Mehram’ (male companion)
3. Women without male companion will be exempted from lottery system usually followed to shortlist applicants
4. All the above
5. None of theseAnswer – 4. All the above
Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi announced that, Saudi Arabia has approved India’s plan to ferry Haj pilgrims through sea route to Jeddah. This announcement was made after the annual Haj agreement between India and Saudi Arabia was signed in Mecca. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi stated that, sending pilgrims through ships would reduce travel expenses greatly. Earlier, this practice of ferrying Haj pilgrims was carried out between Mumbai and Jeddah. It ceased in 1995.He also said that, Indian muslim women will go to Haj without ‘Mehram’ (male companion) for the first time. These women will also be exempted from lottery system usually followed to shortlist applicants.
- Which International Bank is planning to issue its first US dollar-denominated bond by June 2018?
1. World Bank
2. International Monetary Fund
3. Asian Development Bank
4. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
5. Multilateral development bankAnswer –4. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is planning to issue its first US dollar-denominated bond by June 2018. Soren Elbech, Treasurer of AIIB has stated that the minimum size of the issuance will be one billion dollars. Maturity of these bond will be between three and five years depending on investor demand. On account of its strong capital base and stable outlook, AIIB has received three top-notch ratings from the global credit rating agencies, S&P Global Ratings, Fitch and Moody’s. China is the largest shareholder in AIIB holding 26.06 per cent voting shares followed by India with 7.5 per share. Energy, power generation, transport and rural infrastructure are AIIB’s priority areas of investment.
- In which Indian City, the Defence Ministry has decided to set up a Defence Innovation Centre to assist small industries in manufacturing components for the defence sector?
5.MangloreAnswer – 1. Coimbatore
Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman announced that a Defence Innovation Centre would be set up by CODISSIA in Coimbatore, to assist small industries in manufacturing components for the defence sector. Coimbatore District Small Industries Association (CODISSIA) is a trade organization based in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. CODISSIA will receive initial funding of Rs 20 crore from Union Defence Ministry for setting up the Defence Innovation Centre. CODISSIA will identify small and micro units as well as start-ups, that can manufacture components required for defence production. Decision to set up this Defence Innovation Centre has been taken in line with Central Government’s “Make in India” programme.
- Which country hosted the 75th Golden Globe Awards ceremony for the calendar year 2017?
1. Chicago, US
2. California, US
3. Los Angeles, US
4. San Francisco, US
5. Phoenix, USAnswer – 2. California, US
75th Golden Globe Awards ceremony was held in California, US on January 7, 2018. The ceremony was hosted by talk show host Seth Meyers. These awards honoured excellence in film and American Television for the calendar year 2017.
About Golden Globe Awards:
• Awarded for – Excellence in film and American television
• Bestowed by – Hollywood Foreign Press Association
• First Awarded in – 1944
- Who was awarded the first Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life at General Zorawar Singh Auditorium in Jammu?
1 .Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed
2. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis
3. New Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal
4. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
5. Assam Chief Minister SarbanandaSonowalAnswer – 4. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was awarded the first Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life at General Zorawar Singh Auditorium in Jammu. The function was organized by Jammu & Kashmir government. N N Vohra, Jammu and Kashmir Governor, presided over the function. He presented the 1st Mufti M Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life to Nitish Kumar. The Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life award has been instituted by the Jammu and Kashmir government to mark the death anniversary of Mufti M Sayeed. Mufti M Sayeed was the founder of PDP (Peoples Democratic Party). He was the chief minister of Jammu & Kashmir twice. He died on 7 January 2016.
- Which Bollywood actor has agreed to partner with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018?
1. Salman Khan
2 .Akshay Kumar
3. Varun Dhawan
4. Amir Khan
5. Amitab BhachanAnswer – 2. Akshay Kumar
Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has agreed to partner with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018. Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs commenced Swachh Survekshan 2018 survey o January 4, 2018. This survey It is being dubbed as the world’s largest cleanliness survey. It will conclude in March 2018. Under Swachh Survekshan 2018, all 4041 cities and towns in India will be rated and ranked on various parameters of sanitation and cleanliness. This will be the first such pan-India exercise. Cities will be assessed on various parameters including open defecation free status, mechanism for collection of garbage, facilities for transportation of garbage, processing of garbage using scientific methods and efforts made to encourage public participation in Swachh Bharat Abhiyan campaign.
- Indian Railways has announced that it will start using drone Cameras (UAV/NETRA) for various railway activities, especially project monitoring and maintenance of tracks and other railway infrastructure. This light-weight, autonomous UAV/NETRA was jointly developed by?
1.ISRO and a private firm IdeaForge
2.DRDO and a private firm IdeaForge
3.NASA and a private firm IdeaForge
4.Defence Ministry and a private firm IdeaForge
5.Indian Railways and a private firm IdeaForgeAnswer – 2. DRDO and a private firm Idea Forge
Indian Railways has announced that it will start using drone Cameras (UAV/NETRA) for various railway activities, especially project monitoring and maintenance of tracks and other railway infrastructure. All railway zones have been directed to procure these drone cameras.Drone/ Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) is a kind of a flying robot which can be remotely handled through software-controlled flight plans embedded in its system. It works in conjunction with Global Positioning System (GPS).’NETRA’ is an Indian, light-weight, autonomous UAV jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and IdeaForge, a Mumbai-based private firm.
- Which company launched the world’s thinnest laptop?
5. DellAnswer – 1. Acer
Acer has launched new Acer Swift 7 laptop, which it claims to be the world’s thinnest laptop. The new Acer Swift 7 will be available in the US from March 2018. The starting price will be $1,699 (Rs. 107,500). Acer Swift 7 has a thickness of 8.98mm. It has a 14-inch full-HD touchscreen panel and Corning Gorilla Glass NBT protection. It features Windows 10 operating system. It is powered by Intel Core i7 processor. It has 8GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 256GB PCIe SSD storage. It also supports LTE through built-in Nano-SIM slot and eSIM functionality. It has a backlit keyboard. It provides fingerprint reader and face detection through Windows Hello. It has 10 hours of battery life on a single charge.
- Name the Private American aerospace manufacturer Company which launched a secretive US government payload named Zuma.
5. SpartanAnswer – 4. SpaceX
SpaceX launched a secretive US government payload named Zuma.Maker of the payload is Northrup Grumman. He said that the payload was for US government. He added that it would be delivered to low-Earth orbit. But nature of the mission and agency behind it were not revealed. The payload is on its way to low-Earth orbit. SpaceX returned the tall portion of the Falcon 9 rocket to landing at Cape Canaveral, after launch.
- The British Junior Open squash 2018 was held at ?
1. Beijing, China
2. Tokyo, Japan
3. Birmingham, England
4. Bern, Switzerland
5. California, USAnswer – 3. Birmingham, England
Neel Joshi lost in the finals of the British Junior Open squash in U-15 category at Birmingham, England. England’s Sam Todd defeated India’s Neel Joshi 8-11, 16-14, 11-0, 14-12 in the finals of the U-15 category of British Junior Open squash. Sam Todd won the U-15 British Junior Open squash title. Another Indian player Tushar Shahani lost to Egypt’s Omar El Torkey in the semi-finals of U-17 category.
- Shrivallabh Vyas, who recently passed away belonged to which of the following Profession?
5. DancerAnswer – 2. Actor
Actor Shrivallabh Vyas passed away in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Shrivallabh Vyas had acted in more than 60 Hindi films. He has also performed in television and theatre. He stopped acting after he collapsed in his hotel room in Gujarat in 2008. His popular films are Lagaan, Sarfarosh, Abhay, Aan: Men at Work, Shool, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero and Sankat City. He is survived by his wife Shobha Vyas and two daughters.
- Name the powerlifting world champion who died due to injuries, at the AIIMS Trauma Centre in New Delhi?
1. Alexandar Kalbon
2. Carlos Garcia
3. Franklin Leon
4. Ivan Cancel
5.Saksham YadaAnswer – 5. Saksham Yadav
Saksham Yadav, powerlifting world champion, died due to injuries, at the AIIMS Trauma Centre in New Delhi. Saksham Yadav met with a car accident and was admitted in an extremely critical condition at the AIIMS Trauma Centre. Saksham Yadav bagged a gold medal in the 2017 world weightlifting championship. Along with Saksham five other men including Rohit, a weightlifter, were also injured in the accident.
- Shashikant Bhagwat was recently passed away. Who is he?
5.Foreign CorrespondentAnswer – 1. Sports journalist
Shashikant Bhagwat, senior sports journalist, passed away due to heart attack in Pune, Maharashtra. Shashikant Bhagwat was 61 years old. He is survived by his wife, a son and daughter. He worked with ‘Sakal’, a Marathi newspaper, and retired after several years of service.He was also the president of the Pune Shramik Patrakar Sangh and the Pune Patrakar Prathishthan.
- Name the former World Trade Organization (WTO) director general who has recently passed away?
1. Andrew Maths
2. Sergilli Billy
3. David Koimbra
4. Peter Sutherland
5. OrhanBilichanAnswer – 4. Peter Sutherland
Peter Sutherland, former World Trade Organization (WTO) director general died after brief illness. Peter Sutherland was 71 years old. He was also a long-serving chairman of BP (BP.L), an oil and gas company. He also served as chairman of the overseas arm of Goldman Sachs. He was also Ireland’s European Union commissioner and attorney general in the 1980s.
STATIC GK from Current Affairs
- Dudhwa National Park is in which state?Uttar Pradesh
- What is the currency of Iran?Rial; Capital – Tehran
- Where is the headquarters of AIIB located?Beijing, China
- Who is the leader of Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party?Mehbooba Mufti
- Squash Rackets Federation of India is located at?Chennai
- Name the Indian cities in which All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is located at.New Delhi, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur, Rishikesh