AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 31 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Where did Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) organise the 2nd edition of “Pariksha Pe Charcha 2.0”, in which Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed ways to handle the exam pressure, on 29th January 2019?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
On 29th January 2019,Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi discussed ways to handle the exam pressure in the second edition of “Pariksha Pe Charcha 2.0” at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi.The Programme was organized by Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). On 29th January 2019, Prime Minister interacted with students, teachers and parents and shared his personal experiences with students and suggested means to handle exam stress. 2200 students, parents,teachers and college students from 24 states and Union Territories took part in the event. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi answered the queries of Students, teachers and parents and motivated the students with his personal experiences. A 10 minute cultural programme was also performed by the winners of the Kala Utsav Contest Winners, their parents and teachers. Rini Bhattacharjee(differently abled student of class XI) from West Bengal enthralled the audience with her performance on the keyboard with the help of her feet only. For the first time, Indian students residing abroad from countries like Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Russia, , Japan, Libya, Kenya, Malaysia, Oman, Tanzania, Thailand, UAE, Ghana, Liberia Nigeria, Iran, Nepal, Doha, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore were connected to the programme live.
- A new study by National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) states that life expectancy of people in Delhi can increase by nearly 3 years if the air pollution is reduced by ____%?
1) 40 %
2) 25 %
3) 50 %
4) 65 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 25 %
On 30th January 2019,National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) in new study says the life expectancy of people in Delhi can go up by nearly three years if the air pollution is reduced by 25%. NCAP is a programme launched by Union Environment Ministry to improve air quality by 20 to 30% in the next 5 years. The programme takes 2017 as the base year to improve air quality. The study by Energy Policy Institute at University of Chicago (EPIC) uses the same base year as its parameters. They says the programme could pay off extensively in bringing the life expectancy up by an average of 1.4 years. Delhiites could gain around 2.8 years to their life, people in Kanpur would live 2.4 years longer and people in Kolkata could live 1.1 years longer.
- Which state government launched a special scheme to curb infant deaths, by distributing baby care kits to the children born in Primary health centre and Government Hospitals, on 30th January 2019?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Maharashtra
On 30th January 2019, a special scheme is launched by Maharashtra government with an aim to curb infant deaths. Child development Minister Pankaja Munde launched the scheme by distributing baby care kits to the children born in Primary health centre and Government Hospitals. The baby care kit contains a blanket, a small mattress, a towel, a thermometer, baby oil, shampoo, toys, nail cutter, gloves, socks, among other items. The kit costs around Rs.2000. The scheme is applicable only for first child of the parents. It will be beneficial for around 4 lakh women across Maharashtra. The government allocated Rs.20cr for the scheme. Similar scheme launched by different states were successful in bringing down the infant mortality. Infant mortality is the death of young children under one year. India is among the countries having highest number of deaths among newborns.
- Where was the first Swadesh Darshan Project inaugurated by Union Tourism Minister K J Alphons on 28th January 2019?
1) Gangtok, Sikkim
2) Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
3) Calicut, Kerala
4) Darjeeling, West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Gangtok, Sikkim
On 28th January 2019, Union Tourism Minister K J Alphons Inaugurated first Swadesh Darshan Project in Sikkim. It was inaugurated in the presence of Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation for Sikkim Ugen T Gyatso in Zero Point, Gangtok, Sikkim.The project is named as ‘Development of North East Circuit : Rangpo – Rorathang – Aritar – Phadamchen – Nathang – Sherathang – Tsongmo – Gangtok – Phodong – Mangan – Lacliung – Yumthang – Lachey – Thangu-Gurudongmer-Mangan-Gangtok-Tuminlingee-Singtam’. Swadesh Darshan scheme cost are Rs.98.05 crores was sanctioned by the Ministry of Tourism in June 2015. Under the scheme, the government will develop quality infrastructure in the country with an objective of providing better experience and facilities to the visitors. It will also promote a economic growth. The Ministry will develop tourism infrastructure facilities like tourism information centre, meditation centre, walkways, cafeteria, public toilets, etc. under the scheme.
- An 8-member Lokpal search Panel headed by former Supreme court Judge ____ to select the first anti-corruption ombudsman held its first meeting in New Delhi, on 29th January 2019?
1) Ranjana Prakash Desai
2) Pranavi Roy
3) Salim Abbas
4) Anjali Khanna
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ranjana Prakash Desai
On 29th January 2019,An eight member Lokpal search Panel headed by former Supreme court Judge Ranjana Prakash Desai to select the first anti-corruption ombudsman held its first meeting in New Delhi. The committee discussed modalities related to the appointments of the chief and members of Lokpal without along further details. The meeting was held after the Supreme Court set up February end deadline for the search committee to send a panel of names who could be considered. The panel was constituted to appoint chairman and members of Lokpal. The committee will send a panel of members to be considered. The Lokpal and lokatyuktas will look into cases of corruption against certain categories of public servants. The committee of selection is formed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Lokpal and Lokatyuktas Act, 2013 is an anti-corruption act of Indian Parliament in India which seeks to provide for the establishment of the institution of Lokpal to inquire in to allegations of corruption against certain public functionaries.
- Name the 600 km long world’s longest expressway connecting Prayagraj with western Uttar Pradesh, which was approved by Uttar Pradesh government on 29th January 2019?
1) Atal express way
2) Ganga express way
3) Uttara express way
4) Prayag express way
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ganga express way
On 29th January 2019, UP government approved construction of world’s longest express way connecting Prayagraj with western UP. It will have a length of 600 km. Ganga express way will start from Meerut and will touch Amroha, Shajahanpur, Rac Bareli, Pratapgarh, Bulandshahr, Badaun, Farrukhabad, Hardon, Kannauj, before reaching Prayagraj. The estimated cost of the project will be around Rs. 36,000cr. The express way will provide massive connectivity in the state and in near by cities. Another express way project is upcoming for UP namely the Budelkhand expressway. It is a four lane access controlled highway. Budelkhand expressway will start from Jhansi and passes through Chitrakoot, Banda, Hamirpur, Auraiya, Jalaun, Etawah, Naseempur and joins the Agra-Lucknow Expressway. It amounts to Rs.640 crores to make payment to the land owners. The Industrial Development Department issued order for the land acquirement.
- Central government reconstituted a tribunal headed by Delhi High Court Judge ____ to adjudicate the extension of ban imposed on 8 insurgent groups in Manipur, on 24th January 2019?
1) Justice G.S. Sistani
2) Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal
3) Justice Sarang Diwan
4) Justice Manish Mundra
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Justice G.S. Sistani
On 24th January 2019, The Central government reconstituted a tribunal headed by Delhi High Court Judge Justice G.S. Sistani to adjudicate the extension of ban imposed on the eight insurgent groups in Manipur which were involved in 756 violent and unlawful incidents in the last five years for another 5 years. The Tribunal had been set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act 1967 and the tribunal will adjudicate whether there is sufficient cause for declaring these insurgent groups of Manipur as “Unlawful Associations”. Earlier, a tribunal headed by Delhi High Court Judge Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal was set up on 12th December 2018 but Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal left the tribunal.
- Two-wheeled, self-balancing and battery powered electric vehicles named ‘Segway’ were provided by Western Railway to Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel posted in all major railway stations in which city, on 29thJanuary 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai
On 29th January 2019, the two-wheeled,self-balancing and battery powered electric vehicles- Segway provided by Western Railway to Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel posted in all major railway stations in Mumbai. The vehicle will help RPF in keeping an eye on every nook and corner of the railway station. It will be helpful in railway stations having long platforms. At present, Segways are used by Marine Drive Police in South Mumbai. The officials need sufficient training to operate these vehicles. Segways will help the security personnel to carry out their duties more efficiently. They will be able to move faster in the premises of the railway station. It was launched on the 70th Republic Day function where Western Railway General Manager A K Gupta inaugurated 6 segways at Churchgate Railway Station.
- What was the rank of India in the Global Corruption Index 2018 released by Transparency International?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 78
On January 30, 2019,Transparency International released the Global Corruption Index 2018. According to report,India ranked 78 out of 180 countries with a score of 41. While China ranked 87 and Pakistan ranked 117. While Denmark is the least corrupt country and syria ,south sudan ,somalia is the most corrupt country.
- Where was the Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable development launched by Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte along with UN representative, on 29th January 2019?
1) Johannesburg, South Africa
2) Nairobi, Kenya
3) Rome, Italy
4) Abuja, Nigeria
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rome, Italy
On 29th January 2019 Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte along with UN representative launched Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable development . The new centre is located near Food and Agriculture Organization headquarters in Rome. The major objective is boosting the agricultural sectors and promoting rural development in Africa. It will ensure a better future for the youth in the Continent who can be the drivers of development. It will help in implementing the goals of the UN’s 2030 Agenda and the landmark 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to stop depending fossil fuel and cap global warming. A discussion on how G7 countries can fight environmental degradation and promote Africa’s sustainable economic growth was held by ministers. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of UN that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- Which country will host the G20 annual summit in 2022?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India
India is going to host the G20 annual summit in 2022 when it celebrates its 75th year of independence and in order exploit it to the full extent, capacity augmentation of available resources and efficient addressal of organizational challenges must be done on time to fill the infrastructure, management and intellectual gap. Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi requested Italy to host the 2021 G20 summit instead of 2022 summit which was accepted by Italy.
- Name the common digital currency launched by the central banks of United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, on 29th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Aber
On 29th January 2019, Central banks of UAE and Saudi Arabia launched common digital currency called ‘Aber’. UAE central bank will establish an additional means for the central financial transfer systems of the two countries and enable bankers to directly deal with each other. Aber will be used in financial settlement between the two countries through Block chains and distributed Ledger technologies. Both Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (SAMA) and the United Arab Emirates Central Bank (UAEIB) are studying the impact on the improvement and reduction of remittance costs and the assessment of risks through Aber. The use of digital currency will be restricted to a limited number of banks in each state. If the first phase is successful then economic and legal requirements for future uses will be considered.
- Indian Government imposed anti-dumping duty on chemical imports from which country to ensure fair trading practices, on 27th January 2019?
1) United States of America
2) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
On January 27, 2019, the Government imposed an anti-dumping duty on a chemical imports from China. The duty is entrusted to ensure fair trading practices and to create field for domestic producers to interact with foreign producers and exporters. This is second time anti-dumping duty has been imposed on the import of the chemical from China as the first one is to expire in March 2019.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) proposed a new set of framework for REITs and InvITs (Infrastructure Investments Trusts). What does “E” represent in “REIT”?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Estate
REIT – Real Estate Investment Trusts
The Securities and Exchange Board of india (SEBI) proposed a new set of framework for REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) and InvITs (Infrastructure Investments Trusts) in order to provide flexibility to issuers in terms of fund raising and increasing the access of these investment vehicles to investors because despite of various relaxations given by SEBI, these investment vehicles have failed to attract investors. SEBI had allowed the setting up and listing of REITs under REITs Regulations which was notified by SEBI in 2014. SEBI had sought comments from Public till 18th February 2019 on the fresh Consultation paper released to amend regulations pertaining to both REITs and InvITs. The minimum allotment and trading lot for publicly issued REITs and InvITs is planned to be reduced under the new set of Framework. Leverage limit for InvITs is proposed to increase from existing 49% to 70%.
- Which Union Minister received the Carnot prize for his work towards sustainable energy solutions from University of Pennsylvania in New Delhi, on 30th January 2019?
1) Narendra Singh Tomar
2) Piyush Goyal
3) Nitin Gadkari
4) Jual Oram
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Piyush Goyal
On January 30, 2019,Union Finance Minister Piyush Goyal received the Carnot prize for his work towards sustainable energy solutions from University of Pennsylvania in New Delhi. This award rewards the works done by piyush Goyal to reform the electricity sector and extended access to electricity to 18,000 villages. Last year This award was skipped before being entitled to the former power minister ,because of the Amritsar tragedy in which over 60 people died after being moved down by a train.
- Name the dancer who became the first person from the trans community to be honoured with Padma Shri Award 2019?
1) Reshma Ravichandran
2) Poonam Chandan
3) Narthaki Nataraj
4) Aneekha Agarwal
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Narthaki Nataraj
Narthaki Nataraj, a renowned dancer from Tamil Nadu has become the first person from the trans community to be honoured with Padma Shri Award. She id 54-year-old and a Bharatanatyam exponent. She was among those bestowed with Padma Shri, the third highest civilian award this year. She was born in Madurai.
- Who was appointed as a member of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), on 29th January 2019?
1) Surabhi Singh
2) Rajiv Nayan Choubey
3) Akash Aluwalia
4) Rudramoorthy S
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rajiv Nayan Choubey
On January 29, 2019,Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) that conducts prestigious civil service exams to select diplomats ,country’s bureaucrats appointed Rajiv Nayan Choubey as the member of UPSC. Chairman of UPSC, Aravind Saxena administered the Rajiv Nayan Choubey oath of office. UPSC can have a maximum of 10 members excluding the chairman,with Rajiv Nayan Choubey’ s appointment filled up UPSC’s complete strength.
- _____ was appointed as India’s Ambassador to the Maldives, on 28th January 2019?
1) Akshay Mithra
2) Ravi Shankar
3) Uma Sindhya
4) Sunjay Sudhir
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Sunjay Sudhir
On January 28, 2019, Senior diplomat Sunjay Sudhir was appointed as India’s Ambassador to the Maldives. He presently works as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, which he will be resigning shortly.
- Who became the first Hindu woman to be appointed as a civil judge in Pakistan, on 29th January 2019?
1) Mahisha Bhatt
2) Suman Kumari
3) Anu Chhabra
4) Rani Adnani
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Suman Kumari
On January 29, 2019,Suman Kumari became the first Hindu woman to be appointed as a civil judge in Pakistan after passing an examination for induction of judicial officers. The first judge from the Hindu community was Justice Rana Bhagwandas,who served in pakistan from 2005-2007. In the 2018,krishna Kumari Kohli,was also a non-Muslim female to win a place in Pakistan Senate.
- Who assumed charge as India’s Vice Chief of the Naval Staff on 30th January 2019?
1) Vice Admiral Vikrant Thapar
2) Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar
3) Vice Admiral Praveen Hebbal
4) Vice Admiral Saroj Manish
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar
On January 30, 2019,Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar assumed charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff. He served as the Navigating Officer of Indian Naval Ships Beas, Nilgiri, Ranvir and Vikrantand as a Commanding Officer of INS Kulish and Ranvir, and Executive Officer onboard INS Brahmaputra. He holded as a deputy Chief of naval Staff from June 6,2016.
- ____ was appointed as the Ambassador of India to Burkina Faso, on 28th January 2019?
1) Mahendra Nath
2) Joshua Holla
3) Arvind Giri
4) Vinay Singh Chauhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Vinay Singh Chauhan
On 28th January 2019, Government appointed Vinay Singh Chauhan as the Ambassador of India to Burkina Faso who is presently Consulate General of India.
- Which state has the most number of captive elephants, as per the first survey of elephants in captivity, conducted in India?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Assam
On January 30, 2019, a captive survey on elephants was taken ,in respect to the orders of the supreme court and there are 2,454 elephants in captivity. According to the survey, Assam tops the list with 905 elephants and Kerala is in the second position.
- Name the antibiotic-resistant gene that was discovered in Arctic, on 29th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Superbug
On January 29, 2019,‘Superbug’,An antibiotic-resistant gene Was discovered in Arctic,which is one of the pristine place on Earth. Superbug was discovered in soil samples from the Kongsfjorden region, a remote place in the High Arctic. Till to the present date, a total of 131 genes associated with resistance to antibiotics were discovered by the scientists, of which one of the genes first found in New Delhi in 2008.
- Who became the first West Indian cricketer since Garfield Sobers to be named as the world’s leading all-rounder, on 27th January 2019?
1) Carlos Brathwaite
2) Jason Holder
3) Shimron Hetmyer
4) Roston Chase
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Jason Holder
On January 27, 2019, Jason Holder became the first West Indian cricketer since Garfield Sobers to be named as the world’s leading all-rounder. Jason Holder surpassed Garfield Sobers with 202 not out off 229 balls in West Indies’ against England match.
- ____ won the Tata Steel Chess title at the Tata Steel Masters Chess tournament held in Wijk aan Zee, The Netherlands, on 28th January 2019?
1) Vishwanathan Anand
2) Magnus Carlsen
3) Anish Giri
4) Vladislav Kovalev
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Magnus Carlsen
On 28th January 2019, Viswanathan Anand settled for third place in Tata Steel Masters Chess tournament held in Wijk aan Zee, The Netherlands. Magnus Carlsen won the title and it is 7th Tata Steel Chess title after setting for a draw against Anish Giri. Anish Giri secured 2nd position with 8.5 points while Magnus Carlsen ended with 9 points. Anish who is ranking No.5 is a Russian born Dutch Grandmaster. Viswanathan Anand ended with 7.5 points with 3 victories, a lone loss and nine draws. Anand now ranked sixth in the world rankings. Vladislav Kovalev of Latvia won game in Challengers section to assure himself a place in the next year masters. The young Indian Grandmaster R Praggnanandhad ranked 11th when he settled for a draw with Dinara Saduakassova of Kazakhstan.
- Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio inaugurated the first Astro Turf Football Pitch of the State in ____, on 29thJanuary 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kohima
On 29th January 2019, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio inaugurated first Astro Turf Football Pitch of the State at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kohima, Nagaland. The pitch was inaugurated on the occasion of 100th birth anniversary of the legendary footballer Dr. T. Ao. The state government also planned to partner with Bhaichung Bhutia Football schools for a game development plan. It will begin with young-footballers in which under-16 footballers all over the state will receive an opportunity to be part of this program. The Astro Turf has size of 105×66 metres for playground which is FIFA approved size. An exhibition match was also played between Chief Minister XI and Chief Secretary XI. The government will work on strategic sports infrastructure development plan to provide quality sports facilities in every district.
- Amrik Singh Nagra died due to cardiac arrest in Ludhiana, Punjab on 25th January 2019. He was related to which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Cricket
On January 25, 2019,Former Punjab Ranji cricketer and coach Amrik Singh Nagra died due to cardiac arrest in Ludhiana. In 1987,Amrik Singh Nagra was one of six players selected for under 19 championship from Ludhiana.
- What was the theme of World Leprosy Eradication Day observed on 30th January 2019?
1) Ending discrimination, stigma, and prejudice
2) Eradicate Leprosy
3) Education to Leprosy affected kids
4) Science and Technology to eliminate Leprosy
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ending discrimination, stigma, and prejudice
30th January 2019, is celebrated as World Leprosy Eradication Day which stresses the need of eradicating the disease. It also brings to light the discrimination and stigma that people suffer from society every day. Leprosy, also known as Hansen’s disease is a highly contagious infection caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium leprae. This year’s theme for World Leprosy Day is ‘ending discrimination, stigma, and prejudice’.
- When was National Martyr’s Day or Sarvodaya Day observed to mark the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi who was assassinated by Nathuram Dodse?
1) January 31
2) January 30
3) January 29
4) January 28
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) January 30
On 30th January 2019, National Martyr’s Day or Sarvodaya Day was observed to mark the death anniversary of our greatest Hero and father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi who was assassinated by Nathuram Dodse on 30th January 1948. Prime Minister, Naredra Modi paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi in his first “Mann Ki Baat” address of 2019 on 30th January. A cultural programme named “Remembering the Mahatma” was organized by Indian Cultural Centre in Columbo, Sri Lanka. In India, Martyr’s day is celebrated on five days every year to pay homage to the freedom fighters of India.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Prime Minister of Italy is _____?Answer – Giuseppe Conte
- Who is the Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)?Answer – Aravind Saxena
- What is the capital and currency of the Netherlands?Answer – Capital – Amsterdam; Currency – Euro, Dollar
- Name the Chairperson and headquarters of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)?Answer – Chairperson – Ajay Tyagi; Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Who is the Director General of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) headquartered in Rome, Italy?Answer – Jose Graziano da Silva