AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 3 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Which state government launched ‘The Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA)’ scheme worth Rs 10,180-crore, for overall development of small, marginal and landless farmers, on 31st December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Odisha
On December 31, 2018, Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik, launched a Rs 10,180-crore scheme, for overall development of small, marginal and landless farmers, dubbed as ‘The Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA)’ scheme. This scheme consists of a life insurance of Rs.2 lakh for 57 lakh farmers and would grant them crop loans at zero per cent interest. Also, financial assistance of Rs 10,000 per farmer family per annum to around 30 lakh small and marginal farmers’ families. Furthermore, Rs. 5000 would be given to farmers for Rabi cultivation and equal amount will be given for Kharif Cultivation. For landless farmers, a unit cost of Rs 12,500 would be provided for goat rearing, poultry farming, duck rearing, bee keeping and mushroom cultivation. The scheme will be implemented in three phases. In the first phase of the initiative, Rs. 5000 would be disbursed to farmers between January 22 and January 25, 2019. The second phase will be completed by February 15, 2019.
- Union Home Ministry (MHA) approved Uttar Pradesh government’s proposal to rename Allahabad as _____, on 1st January 2019, ahead of ‘Kumbh Mela 2019’?
4) Ram Vihar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Prayagraj
On January 1, 2019, ahead of the ‘Kumbh Mela 2019’, the Union Home Ministry (MHA) approved the Uttar Pradesh government’s proposal to rename Allahabad as Prayagraj. MHA had earlier approved the renaming of the British-era railway station Robertsgang as Sonbhadra, Farah Town railway station near Mathura and iconic Mughalsarai junction after Deen Dayal Upadhyay — both in Uttar Pradesh. The Centre had also approved the renaming of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai as Chhatrapati Shivaji ‘Maharaj’ International Airport, earlier. The Tripura government also got Centre’s approval to change the name of Agartala Airport as Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore, the erstwhile ruler of the state. The Home ministry approves any such proposals of name change after consulting various concerned agencies like Indian Railways, Survey of India, Department of Posts etc.
- The Chief Minister of which state banned the purchase of new vehicles and air conditioners (ACs) by the government departments due to huge debt of the state, on 31st December 2018?
2) West Bengal
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Madhya Pradesh
On December 31, 2018, Chief Minister of the Congress led government of Madhya Pradesh, Kamal Nath, banned the purchase of new vehicles and air conditioners (ACs) by the government departments due to huge debt of the state. Also, the expenditure incurred on office items has been limited on the basis of the difference between the allocated budget for these expenses in the financial year 2018-19 and the expenditure incurred in the financial year 2017-18. Although, hospitals, hostels, Anganwadis, shelter homes have been kept out of the purview of the limitations.
- Delhi High Court has ruled that section _____ of the Indian Penal Code can be used by transgender persons to register complaints of sexual harassment?
1) Section 354A
2) Section 255B
3) Section 123C
4) Section 198D
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Section 354A
Delhi High Court has ruled that section 354A of the Indian Penal Code can now be used by transgender persons to register complaints of sexual harassment. Section 354A of the IPC deals with sexual harassment and punishment for sexual harassment. This came as the High Court heard a petition by a transgender student from Delhi University who wanted to lodge a complaint against male students who allegedly sexually harassed her, but was not entertained by the police. According to the police, there was a lack of an appropriate penal section under which they could register such a complaint.
- Name the state government that announced that if a farmer aged between 18 to 60 years dies, his family will be paid Rs 2 lakh, as part of ‘Krishi Krishak Bondhu’ scheme, on 31st December 2018?
2) West Bengal
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) West Bengal
On 31st December 2018, the Mamata Banerjee led West Bengal government announced two welfare initiatives for farmers as a part of the ‘Krishi Krishak Bondhu’ scheme which will come into effect from New Year’s Day i.e. January 1, 2019. Under the first of the two schemes, If a farmer aged between 18 to 60 years dies a natural or unnatural death, the state government will pay his family Rs 2 lakh. The farmers will be able to start applying for the scheme from February 1, 2019. Under the second initiative, farmers would get Rs 2,500 twice a year for growing a single crop on one acre of land. The farmers will be able to apply for this scheme from February 1, while the amount will be calculated from January 1, 2019. The West Bengal government has already waived tax and cess on agricultural land to help farmers in distress.
- Which organization launched a new platform named “Samwad with Students” (SwS) as part of the enhanced outreach programme and to engage youngsters in space science, in Bengaluru, on 1st January 2019?
1) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
2) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
3) NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog
4) Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
On 1st January 2019, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched a new platform named “Samwad with Students” (SwS) as part of the enhanced outreach programme and to engage youngsters across India to capture their scientific temperament in Bengaluru. The first SwS event saw interaction of 40 students and 10 teachers from select schools with ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan during which the students were briefed about Indian space programme and their benefits to the common man at the Anthariksh Bhavan, Bengaluru. The Q&A session that followed saw Dr Sivan engaging students on a series of topics ranging from rockets, satellites, Chandrayaan, Gaganyaan and various space applications. The Chairman asked students to study science and mathematics with absolute seriousness which would enable them to take up challenging careers. Under the SwS platform, ISRO will also be organising guided tours thrice in a year, for students of class 11 and class 12 in which they would be taken to ISRO facilities in Thiruvananthapuram and Bengaluru and the launch centre atSriharikota. Students would also be taken to space laboratories and would be allowed to make small satellites.
- How many free cooking gas (LPG) connections has the government provided under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY), as on 2nd January 2019?
1) 10 crore
2) 5 crore
3) 6 crore
4) 8 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 6 crore
On 2nd January 2019, the government gave out the 6-croreth free cooking gas (LPG) connection under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) to make available cleaner fuel in every household kitchens. Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu handed over papers for an LPG connection to Jasmina Khatoon from Shivpark, Khanpur in New Delhi to mark the 6 crore LPG connections under PMUY. Under the scheme, the government provides a subsidy of Rs 1,600 to state-owned fuel retailers for every free LPG gas connection that they give to poor households. The 5-croreth free LPG connection under the scheme was given to Takrdiran, a resident of Sangam Vihar of the national capital, in August 2018 by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
- Lakhs of women from which state formed a 620-km long Women’s Wall on 1st January 2019 to uphold gender equality against protests in Sabarimala due to Supreme Court’s decision to allow women to pray at the Sabarimala Ayyappa temple?
2) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kerala
On January 1, 2019, lakhs of women from across Kerala formed a 620-km long Women’s Wall, that stretched from Kasargod in northern Kerala to the southernmost district of Thiruvananthapuram, to uphold gender equality and renaissance values. This was a state sponsored move done in the backdrop of protests in Sabarimala due to Supreme Court’s decision to allow women to pray at the Ayyappa shrine. Health minister K K Shylaja was the lead of the human chain at Kasargod whereas leader Brinda Karat was the last person at the end of the chain in Thiruvananthapuram. The event was organised by the ruling CPI(M), along with over 176 other socio-political organisations, including the CPI, Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (SNDP) and Kerala Pulayar Maha Sabha (KPMS).
- The number of complaints registered at banking ombudsman offices has increased to what percent, as per Reserve Bank of India (RBI) report on Trend and Progress of Banking in India?
1) 25 %
2) 35 %
3) 45 %
4) 50 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 25 %
On December 31, 2018, according to the RBI Report on Trend and Progress of Banking in India, number of complaints registered at banking ombudsman offices has increased to 25% owing to increased awareness and poor internal redressal mechanisms of banks. More than 57% of the total complaints came from the banking ombudsman offices in tier-1 cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Hyderabad. Of all the complaints received at the ombudsman’s offices, 97% of them were resolved in 2017-18, up from 92% in 2017. The topic of complaints were related to non-observance of the fair practices code followed by those related to ATM, credit and debit cards, and for failure to meet commitments and mobile banking. Bank-wise distribution shows that most complaints received against public sector banks were pension-related while most complaints received against private banks were for credit cards discrepancies.
- Reserve Bank of India has allowed a one-time restructuring of existing debt of up to _____ rupees to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) by 31st March 2020?
1) Rs 75 crore
2) Rs 25 crore
3) Rs 50 crore
4) Rs 90 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 25 crore
On January 2, 2019, Reserve Bank allowed a one-time restructuring of existing debt of up to 25 crore rupees to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) which are facing cash crunch in the wake of demonetisation and GST implementation. The restructuring will be implemented by 31st of March 2020. The eligibility for the scheme entails that the aggregate exposure including non-fund based facilities of banks and NBFCs, to a borrower should not exceed 25 crore rupees as on January 1, 2019. The restructuring of existing loans was permitted to MSMEs that are in default but ‘standard‘ as on 1st of January, 2019, without any downgrade in asset classification. This means the MSMEs which have defaulted on payment but the loans given to them have continued to be classified as standard assets are eligible for the scheme.
- Which IIT professor was honoured with the National Geospatial Award for Excellence -2017 (Life Time Achievement Award) by the Indian Society for Remote Sensing, on 1st January 2019?
1) Jayanta Kumar Ghosh
2) Arun Shankar J
3) Rukshanth Sharma
4) Madhumita Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Jayanta Kumar Ghosh
On 1st January 2018, IIT Roorkee professor Jayanta Kumar Ghosh was felicitated with the National Geospatial Award for Excellence -2017 (Life Time Achievement Award) by the Indian Society for Remote Sensing for his contribution towards the development of geospatial science and applications. The award which carries a citation, a medal and Rs.1,00,000 was conferred to J. K. Ghosh, a professor at the civil engineering department of the IIT Roorkee on 5th December 2018 at SAC (Space Application Centre) Ahmedabad. The Indian Society for Remote Sensing is an organisation known in the area of space science, remote sensing and geo-spatial technology.
- Players in France’s _____ team which won the World Cup in 2018 were awarded the Legion of Honour, France’s highest award for “exceptional service” to the nation, on 1st January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Football
On 1st January 2019, the players in France‘s football team which last year defeated Croatia to win the World Cup were awarded the Legion of Honour, France’s highest award for “exceptional service” to the nation, in the New Year’s honours list. The football World Cup 2018 at Russia was France’s second World Cup title, after the 1998 World Cup. Each of the 23 players of French football team, including star strikers Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann, received France’s top medal for their part in beating Croatia in the World Cup final in Moscow. A total of 402 people, half men and half women were on this year’s winners list.
- Name the Indian-origin student from Singapore who won 2 gold medals at the World Memory Championships held in Hong Kong from 20th December to 22nd December 2018?
1) Dhruv Manoj
2) Meera Sehgal
3) Rakesh Singh
4) Arjun Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dhruv Manoj
On 2nd January 2019, a 12-year-old Indian-origin student Dhruv Manoj from Singapore has bagged two gold medals at the World Memory Championships held in Hong Kong from 20th December to 22nd December 2018. Dhruv Manoj won in the “names and faces” and “random words” disciplines, beating 56 other contestants in the “kids category”. Dhruv has mastered the Roman memory technique of creating “memory palaces“, which works by associating the ideas or objects to be memorized with scenes imagined at familiar locations, such as one’s house.
- Who was sworn in as Brazil’s 42nd president on 2nd January 2019?
1) Fernando Haddard
2) Jair Bolsonaro
3) Richard Hadley
4) Rufus Maynard
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Jair Bolsonaro
On January 2, 2019, Jair Bolsonaro was sworn in as Brazil’s 42nd president. Mr Bolsonaro, 63, won the presidential election by a wide margin against Fernando Haddad of the left-wing Workers’ Party.
- _____ was appointed the Acting Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India on 1st January 2019?
1) V K Singh
2) Mahindra Rathore
3) Hemant Bhargava
4) A K Bakshi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hemant Bhargava
On January 1, 2019, the Department of Financial Services announced appointment of Hemant Bhargava, Managing Director, Life Insurance Corporation of India, as the Acting Chairman. This was done after VK Sharma retired from the position at LIC on December 31. While, he is a contender for the post of Full-Time Chairman at the state-owned life insurer, his retirement is due in July 2019. Therefore, the Banks Board Bureau has called eight candidates for interviews for the posts of Chairman and MD on January 4.
- Name the person who was appointed the secretary of Competition Commission of India (CCI), on 1st January 2019?
1) P K Singh
2) Rahul Mishra
3) Prasanth Singh
4) Srishti Savarna
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) P K Singh
On January 1, 2019, P K Singh was appointed secretary of the Competition Commission of India (CCI). Prior to this, he was adviser (law) to the competition watchdog. After completing 5 years of experience as the adviser to the CCI, according to the norms of the institution, he was chosen as the candidate. His scope of responsibilities include:
• acting as the nodal officer for the Commission,
• making or receiving all statutory information and
• entering into the any formal relationships including signing of memorandums with any foreign agency or other agency with prior approval from Commission and government.
- Who was appointed the Chief Operations Officer (COO) of private sector lender RBL Bank, on 2nd January 2019?
1) Prakash Chandra
2) Akanksha Sharma
3) Pankaj Sharma
4) Manjula Shekar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Pankaj Sharma
On January 2, 2019, Private sector lender RBL Bank appointed Pankaj Sharma as its chief operations officer (COO). Prior to this, Sharma was heading retail operations of Axis Bank. Under his leadership, the ATM channel, phone banking and branch automation and digital initiatives at Axis Bank took shape. He had previously worked with GE Countrywide, ICICI Bank and ICICI Prudential Life Insurance.
- _____ was nominated as Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) by President Ram Nath Kovind, on 31st December 2018?
1) Justice Madan B. Lokur
2) Justice Srikanth Nair
3) Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri
4) Justice Lokesh Jain
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri
On January 1, 2019, President Ram Nath Kovind nominated Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri as Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA). His appointment is effective from December 31, 2018. The post got vacant after the retirement of Justice Madan B. Lokur.
- Who took charge as the Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) and chairman of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), on 31st December 2018?
1) P.K. Shrivastava
2) Saurabh Kumar
3) Sailesh Babu
4) Ram Kumar Saini
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Saurabh Kumar
On 31st December 2018, Saurabh Kumar, a 1982-batch Indian Ordnance Factory Service officer, took over as the Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) and chairman of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) following the superannuation of P.K. Shrivastava in Kolkata. An expert in the manufacturing of ordnance, Kumar is an M-Tech in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur. He has worked with Ministry of Defence at Delhi as the Director of Planning and Coordination from 2002 to 2009 during which, he was involved in drafting the Indian offset policy for defence purchases and ‘Make’ procedure in the Defence Procurement Procedure of 2003-04, which incorporated recommendations of Arun Singh Committee. Furthermore he has proved his excellence during his tenure as General Manager of the Engine Factory at Avadi (2012-13) and as General Manager of Ordnance Factory Ambajhari, Nagpur where he spearheaded the modernisation programme and led the production of ‘Pinaka’ rockets. Saurabh Kumar is currently a member of the Ordnance Factory Board and is looking after Ammunition and Explosive group of factories.
- Where was the 10th R R Lakshya Cup 2018 shooting tournament held on 31st December 2018?
2) Navi Mumbai
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Navi Mumbai
On 31st December 2018, shooter Divyansh Singh Panwar from Rajasthan and shooter Nupur Patil from Maharashtra have won 10th R R Lakshya Cup 2018 in senior and junior category respectively. Dronacharya Awardee and former National Coach Prof. Sunny Thomas was the chief guest of the event. The tournament was organised in Lakshya Shooting Club, Karnala Sports Academy, Panvel, Navi Mumbai. The Club was founded by ace shooter Suma Shirur. R R Lakshya Cup being only a premier invitational tournament, it’s record wouldn’t be count for International records. The event has prize money of Rs. 1,00,000 in senior category and Rs. 50,000 in junior category.
- C H Loknath died on 1st January 2019. He was a _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Actor
On January 1, 2019, Veteran Kannada actor C H Loknath died at 91. His acting career spanned almost six decades and he had acted in about 650 movies and performed in over 1,000 plays. He made his debut in the National award winning movie ‘Samskara’ in 1970.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is Kanha Tiger Reserve located?Answer – Madhya Pradesh
- What is the capital and currency of Brazil?Answer – Capital – Brasilia; Currency – Brazilian real
- The Chairperson of Competition Commission of India (CCI) is _____?Answer – Ashok Kumar Gupta
- Name the MD & CEO and headquarters of RBL Bank?Answer – MD & CEO – Mr. Vishwavir Ahuja; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Who is the 46th Chief Justice of India?Answer – Justice Ranjan Gogoi