AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 26 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Where was the National Conference for Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSSs) held on 24th January 2019?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On January 24,2019,Dharmendra Pradhan,Minister of skill development implemented new reforms for Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) to enhance skill ecosystem and entrepreneurship in most of the remotest areas of India under centre’s flagship programme Skill India at the National Conference for Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSSs) in New Delhi. The Ministry also released the new JSS site (www.jss.gov.in) which will furnish information and facts on action ideas, databases of beneficiaries and stakeholders, details of finance and expenditure and other ongoing development projects that are on process.
- Which is the first state to develop air strip after Centre’s decision to renovate and develop around 400 abandoned airstrips across India to strengthen air-connectivity?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Jharkhand
On January 25,2019, The Centre decided to renovate and develop around 400 abandoned airstrips across the country to strengthen air-connectivity,and Jharkhand is the first state to develop airstrip in Dhalbhumgarh. Airports Authority of India prepared a Memorandum of Understanding with a motive to renovate air strips and asked for support from all the 29 states and seven Union Territories. Modern airport at Dhalbhumgarh is to be renovated with the initial amount of 100cr and would be completed in 18 months.
- How many MoUs worth Rs 3.4 lakh crore to increase job opportunities, were signed at the 2nd edition of Tamil Nadu government’s Global Investors Meet (GIM) 2019, held on 23rd and 24th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 304
On 23rd January 2019, the second edition of Tamil Nadu government’s ambitious two-day Global Investors Meet (GIM) 2019 which aimed at showcasing the state’s potential business opportunities and wooing investment was inaugurated at Chennai Trade Centre, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The event was attended by over 250 companies from 10 countries. The Investors Meet Concluded on 24th January 2019. The event was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edapadi Palaniswami in the presence of Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu O. Pannerselvam and Industries Minister of Tamil Nadu M.C. Sampath. This year focus will be given on key 12 sectors including automobile, textiles, aerospace, agro and food processing, pharmaceutical and chemicals, tourism, housing and construction, Electronics and hardware, Skill Development, Heavy Engineering, MSMEs and Information and Technology. The objective of the event is to position Tamil Nadu as the investor’s choice besides showcasing its potential business opportunities. Rs.75 crore had been allocated by the state government to conduct the two-day event. The event had managed to exceed the target investment of Rs 2 lakh crore and has witnessed the signing of 304 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 3.4 lakh crore with promise of job opportunities for about 10.5 lakh people in the state.
- Public funding in India in the field of research and development for neglected diseases has increased significantly by _____ since 2009, as per a report released by G-Finder?
1) Rs 123 crore
2) Rs 135 crore
3) Rs 146 crore
4) Rs 154 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 135 crore
Public funding in India in the field of research and development for neglected diseases has increased significantly by Rs 135 crore since 2009, as per a report conducted by G-Finder a project that tracks and reports on global investments into research and development (R&D) for neglected diseases which was released on 23rd January 2019. It suggested that funding from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) increased by Rs 147 crore. In 2017, India was the fourth-largest funder by absolute funding and proportion of GDP and accounted for almost three-quarters (Rs 492 crore) of the public funding from low income and middle income countries. The report also suggested that ICMR is one of the four largest global TB R&D funders for the first time ever, with an increase of Rs 39 crore in investment.
- Which country will become the world’s biggest retail market in 2019, as per the prediction of research firm eMarket?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
On 24th January 2019, Research firm eMarket predicted that China will become world’s biggest retail market in 2019. According to the report, the sale boom is a result of China’s rising incomes and thriving e-commerce. The report says China will overtake US in 2019 and total retail sales will grow 7.5% to reach 5.636 trillion USD in 2019, while US will grow 3.3% to 5.529 trillion. One- fifth of the country’s total sales in 2018 was from e-commerce which is a major driver of China’s retail economy. As per predictions US share of the global e-commerce market is expected to drop to 15 percent by 2022. By the end of 2019, China will have 55.8 percent of all online retail sales globally which is also expected to exceed 63% by 2022.
- Indian Standard IS 17081:2019 Aviation Turbine Fuel (Kerosene Type, Jet A-1) was released by Indian Air Force (IAF) in collaboration with _____, on 24th January 2019?
1) Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
2) International Standards Organisation (ISO)
3) Indian Technical Standards (ITS)
4) Aircraft Standards Organisation (ASO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
On 24th January 2019, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in collaboration with Indian Air Force (IAF) released a new standard for Aviation Turbine Fuels (ATF) which can be used as bio-jet fuel on all military and civilian aircraft. The new specifications will allow Indian standards of bio-jet fuel to align with current international standards. A committee comprising of domain experts was tasked to originate the required standards. It formulated Indian Standard IS 17081:2019 Aviation Turbine Fuel (Kerosene Type, Jet A-1) containing Synthesised Hydrocarbons, after a series of deliberations over the past nine months. The new standards were released by Air Marshal RKS Shera AVSM VSM, Air Officer-in-Charge Maintenance, Indian Air Force and Mrs Surina Rajan, Director General Bureau of Indian Standards, at Air HQs.
- Which PSU received the best Miniratna PSU in strategic performance financial category award at an award function held in New Delhi, on 25th January 2019?
1) Manali Refinery Limited (MRL)
2) Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL)
3) Jamshedpur Refinery Limited (JRL)
4) Suratkal Refinery Limited (SRL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL)
On 25th January 2019 Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) received best Miniratna PSU in strategic performance financial category award at an award function held In New Delhi. Numaligarh Refinery Limited is a mini ratna company in Assam owned by Bharat Petroleum. It is a joint venture between Bharat Petroleum, Oil India and Government of Assam. The award was declared at the Sixth PSU awards held at New Delhi. The awards are given out in recognition to the effect of Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) who have played a key role in Country’s growth. NRL received award in strategic performance under financial category. It is evaluated by a two phase rigorous process by data science agency MT6 Analytics. The performance are measured using Moody’s methodology. The award presented to Managing Director of NRI by members of parliament (MP) Manoj Tiwari and veteran actress and social activist Poonam Dhillon.
- Who was elected as the new King of Malaysia 24th January 2019, for a period of 5 years?
1) Ajeez Bin Mohamad
2) Sultan Abdullah
3) Zubair Dil Sham
4) Hisham Zakariya
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sultan Abdullah
On 24th January 2019, The Leaders of Malaysia’s royal houses, known as the “Conference of Rulers” elected 59 years old Sultan Abdullah who is the ruler of the Malaysian state of Pahang as new King for the period of 5 years under a system of rotational monarchy which is unique to Malaysia following the abdication of previous monarch Sultan Muhammad V after 2 years on the throne. Malaysia has an Unique Constitutional Monarchy where Rulers are elected from nine hereditary state rulers every 5 years. Sultan Nazrin Shah of Perak state was named as the deputy king as per the statement issued by the keeper of the Rulers’ Seal Syed Danial Syed Ahmad. For the first time in Malaysian history Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan abdicated after just 2 years on the throne in January 2019. The sworn in ceremony is expected to be held on 31st January 2019. Sultan Abdullah sworn as Sultan of Pahang earlier this month.
- ____ was appointed the CEO of Indigo airlines, on 24th January 2019?
1) Ronojoy Dutta
2) Manisha Goyal
3) Aneekh Sikha
4) Nadhim Bhattacharya
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ronojoy Dutta
On January 24, 2019,Aviation veteran and former president of United airlines Ronojoy Dutta was appointed CEO of Indigo airlines. IndiGo also appointed former Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) chairman M Damodaran as chairman of the board and non-executive independent director. Ronojoy Dutta will remain as the company CEO for the next five years.
- Who was re-appointed the Managing Director of Lakshmi Vilas Bank with effect from January 25, 2019?
1) Jeevananthan S
2) Parthasarathi Mukherjee
3) Rishi Mukhopadyay
4) Anil Mishra
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Parthasarathi Mukherjee
On January 24,2019, Lakshmi Vilas Bank got approval from RBI and reappointed Parthasarathi Mukherjee as its managing director for next two years. Mukherjee’s extended term will begin January 25 2019. Previously.he holded up several posting in Axis Bank and SBI.
- India has entered the $ 100 billion club in the merger and acquisition (M&A) space in 2018, with deals worth around ____ concluded in India in 2018, as per Grant Thornton’s (GT) annual report titled ‘Dealtracker’?
1) $ 110 billion
2) $ 200 billion
3) $ 280 billion
4) $150 billlion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $ 110 billion
As per the Grant Thornton’s (GT) annual report titled ‘Dealtracker’, India has entered the $ 100 billion club in the merger and acquisition (M&A) space in 2018. In the year 2018, for the first time 1,200 deals worth around $ 110 billion or Rs 71,000 crore were concluded in India in a year. As per the report, the deals in 2018 showed an 80% jump in value over 2017. In 2017 deals worth $ 60 billion were concluded while in 2016 it touched $ 57 billion. The rise in the value of M&A is expected to be the result of on-going capital market and regulatory reforms, constant amendments to reforms like Goods and Services Tax (GST), Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA), Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), and efforts to improve ease of doing business in the country. The consolidation activity driven by expanding the market share, buying technology and diversifying market presence also helped in the surge in the M&A deal activities. The growth in the deal space is expected to come down for the first two quarters in the current year.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully launched Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR-SAM) jointly developed by India and which country, from INS Chennai off the coast of Odisha?
3) United States of America
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Israel
On 24 January 2019, Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully launched Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR-SAM) jointly developed by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries from INS Chennai off the coast of Odisha. The missile was test launched from a mobile launcher at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur, Odisha. It was the result of a joint venture between India and Israel. LR-SAM will improve air defence capabilities. It also had a system which includes a Multi-Functional Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar (MF-STAR) for detection, tracking and guidance of the missile. MF-STAR will provide the users the capability to neutralise any aerial threats. The missile directly hit a low flying aerial target.
- Name India’s lightest ever satellite which weighs 1 kilogram, that was launched along with imaging satellite Microsat R using PSLV (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) C44, by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), from Sriharikota, on 25th January 2019?
1) Insat 2k18
2) Kalamsat V2
3) FlyDisc 2A
4) IndiSat 2
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kalamsat V2
On 25th January 2019, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched PSLV (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) C44 carrying Kalamsat V2 and imaging satellite Microsat R from Sathish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.Imaging satellite Microsat R will be used for military purposes. It is a small Indian earth observation satellite. Kalamsat is a communication satellite with one kilogram weight and a life span of 2 months. It is the lightest ever satellite launched by India. Space Kidz India- a group of college students and the members of a Chennai based organization built Kalamsat. Kalamsat is the first to use PS4 (the fourth stage of the vehicle) as a platform to orbit around the earth. PSLV C44 which was assembled in 30 days was the first mission of a new variant of PSLV called the PSLV-DL.
- Which country has announced that it will fund South Asian Nitrogen Hub, a research project to study Nitrogen pollution in India and South Asia?
1) United States of America
2) United Kingdom
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United Kingdom
United Kingdom (UK) government has made an announcement that it will support South Asian Nitrogen Hub, a research project to study Nitrogen pollution in India and South Asia. South Asian Nitrogen Hub will be led by United Kingdom’s “Centre for Ecology and Hydrology” under the new partnership programme. The Project will include 50 organizations from across the United Kingdom (UK) and South Asia. The Research Project which is a five year programme with estimated worth of 19.6 million pounds (182 crore) is established by the funding from United Kingdom Research and Innovation ((UKRI). India is the only South Asian country which has completed its Nitrogen Assessment and now India is Co-leading the South Asian Assessment for the United Nations (UN) Environment.
- Name the cricketer who completed the 27th five-wicket innings haul and equaled Ian Botham’s record for the most five-wicket innings hauls in Tests by an England cricketer, on 24th January 2019?
1) James Anderson
2) Jason Holder
3) Jonny Bairstow
4) Keaton Jennings
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) James Anderson
James Anderson completed the 27th five-wicket innings haul of his record-breaking Test career as the West Indies were eventually dismissed for 289 an hour into the second morning of the first Test against England in Barbados on 25th January 2019. He equaled Ian Botham’s record for the most five-wicket innings hauls in Tests by an England cricketer.
- South African Johan Botha announced his immediate retirement from which sport because of his physical illness, on 24th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Cricket
On January 24, 2019, Former South African all-rounder Johan Botha announced his immediate retirement from all forms of cricket because of his physical illness. He played for south African national team from 2005 -2012. After 2012,he moved on to Australia and played in domestic country league,he took part under the team Hober Hurricanes.
- Bhanu Praksh Singh passed away due to physical illness in Indore, on 24th January 2019. He was a ____?
2) Freedom Fighter
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Politician
On January 24, 2019, Former ex Goa Governor and head of the Narsinghgarh royal family Bhanu Praksh Singh passed away due to physical illness in Indore. In 1991, he became the Governor of Goa.
- Krishna Sobti passed away, in New Delhi, on 25th January 2019. She was a _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Writer
On 25th January 2019,Demise of Hindi fiction writer and essayist,Jnanpith awardee as well, Krishna Sobti passed away,in New Delhi at the age of 93.She was born on 18th February, 1925 in Gujarat Punjab, British India. i.Her writings insinuate Punjabi, Urdu, and afterwards Rajasthani languages. Her works mainly underscores the issues of female identity. Notable writings- Mitro Marajani, Daar se Bichuchuri, Surajmukhi Andhere Ke. Notable Awards- Sahitya Akademi Award (1980) , Sahitya Akademi Fellowship (1996) , Jnanpith Award (2017).
- The anthology titled ‘New Brazilian Poems’, translated and edited by Indian poet-diplomat ____ was launched at the National Association of Writers of Brazil, on 24th January 2019?
1) Abhay Kumar
2) Rasheed Al Khaini
3) Munna Khaleel
4) Supriya Raman
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Abhay Kumar
On January 24, 2019, A new anthology titled ‘New Brazilian Poems’, translated and edited by Indian poet-diplomat Abhay Kumar was launched at the National Association of Writers of Brazil. He was also honoured with the SAARC Literary Award 2013 for his contribution to contemporary South Asian Poetry. Some other works of Abhay K. are The Seduction Of Delhi,The Eight-Eyed Lord of Kathmandu , The Prophecy of Brasilia , CAPITALS ,100 Great Indian Poems. He also penned the SAARC anthem which was also accepted by 8 members and was also translated into different languages.
- Which state celebrated its 49th full Statehood Day on 25th January 2019?
3) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Himachal Pradesh
On 25th January, 2019 Himachal Pradesh celebrates its 49th full Statehood Day at Kunihaar in Solan, in lieu of 18th state of India with the sterling presence of Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. At this occassion, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jairam Thakur encores for the speedy development along with an emphasis on backward classes and mass areas.
- What was the theme of 9th National Voters Day (NVD) celebrated across India, on 25th January 2019?
1) No voter to be left behind
2) Voting is our birth right
3) Vote to Win
4) Vote to bring a change
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) No voter to be left behind
On 25th January 2019, India celebrated its 9th National Voters Day (NVD) across the country for enhanced participation of citizens in the electoral process by encouraging the newly eligible voters. The theme of this year’s National Voters Day (NVD) is ‘No voter to be left behind’. It is focused on the upcoming Lok Sabha Elections. To mark the Foundation day of Election Commission of India, which was established on 25th January 1950, the National Voters’ Day is celebrated all over the country on January 25 every year since 2011. The main function is being organised by the Election Commission of India at Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt. and President, Shri Ram Nath Kovind was the chief guest at the main function. The main function was also attended by Union Law Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- Which state launched the Voters Helpline Number – 1950 and mobile app for people with disabilities on the occasion of National Voters Day, on 25th January 2019?
4) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Mizoram
On 25th January 2019, The Governor of Mizoram Shri Kummanam Rajasekharan launched the Voters Helpline Number – 1950 and mobile app for people with disabilities on the occasion of National Voters Day. The Mobile will help the Persons with Disability (PwD) to cast their votes and this move is aimed to enhance participation of People with Disability in the in the upcoming elections. Mizoram governor appealed to all the voters to cast their votes in the Lok Sabha elections expected to be held in May-June 2019 and ensure peaceful conduct of the polls.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Prime Minister of Malaysia?Answer – Mahathir Bin Mohamad
- Name the MD and CEO and headquarters of Lakshmi Vilas Bank?Answer – MD & CEO- Parthasarathi Mukherjee; Headquarters – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) is ____?Answer – G. Satheesh Reddy
- What is the Capital and Currency of Brazil?Answer – Capital – Brasília; Currency – Brazilian real
- Who is the Chief Minister of Mizoram?Answer – Zoramthanga