AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 22 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Aadhaar Card has been added in the valid travel documents now and Indians under 15 and over ____ years of age can travel to Nepal and Bhutan if they have a valid Aadhaar Card?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 65
Aadhaar Card has been added in the valid travel documents and now Indians under 15 and over 65 age can travel to Nepal and Bhutan if they have a valid Aadhaar Card. Earlier Indians under the age brackets of under 15 and over 65 could travel to Nepal and Bhutan by showing their PAN Card, Driving Licence, CGHS card or Ratio card but not Aadhaar Card. Other India citizens except these two age bracket are not allowed to travel with Aadhaar Card to these two neighbouring countries. Indians do not require VISA to travel to Nepal or Bhutan if they have a valid Passport, Photo identity proof issued by Indian Government or Election ID issued by Election Commission of India.
- Which state government announced a hike of Rs 200 per month in the social security pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY), on 19th January 2019?
4) Jammu & Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Odisha
On January 19, 2019, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced in a video conference on “Ama Gaon, Ama Bikash”a hike of Rs 200 per month in the social security pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY). The state government launched Madhu Babu Pension Yojana on January 1, 2008, by merging two pension schemes – Old Age Pension and Odisha Disability Pension schemes. The Madhu Babu Pension Yojana is a pension scheme introduced in the Indian State of Odisha with the objective of providing financial assistance to the destitute elderly and destitute differently abled persons in the state. According to the new change,the elderly persons aged over 60 years would get a revised old age pension of Rs 500 per month as against Rs 300 and those who are more than 80 years old, the pension would be Rs 700 per month instead of Rs 500 per month and the enhanced pension will come into effect from February 15, 2019.
- Where did Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launch a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor which is worth over 3038 crore, on 20th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Tiruchirppalli
On Jan 20, 2019,Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor in Tiruchirppalli.This is considered to be the second corridor succeeding the one launched in Aligarh,Uttar Pradesh. This is considered to be the mega corridor that would link the remaining miltary manufacturing units present in South India,it Is tuned at the cost of 3038cr. Total investments of Rs 3,038 crore in this defence corridor would come from Ordnance Factory Board, Bharat Electronics Limited and Bharat Dynamics Limited, TVS, Data Patterns and Alpha Designs committed to invest Rs 2,305 crore, Rs 140.5 crore and Rs 150 crore, Rs 50 crore, Rs 75 crore and Rs 100 crore, respectively. The Tamil Nadu corridor has six nodes at Trichy, Salem, Hosur, Kovai, Madurai and Chennai. It is expected to be a specialised facility hub in aero component manufacturing. Sitharaman also launched the “CODISSIA Defence Innovation and Incubation Centre” to support the MSMEs, start-ups and existing industries in their endeavour to expand and contribute significantly for defence indigenization.
- Uttar Pradesh government announced a monthly pension of _____ rupees to the destitute women in Varanasi, on 21st January 2019?
1) Rs 1000
2) Rs 200
3) Rs 500
4) Rs 700
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rs 500
On January 21, 2019, UP government announced to give a monthly pension of Rs500 to the destitute women in Varanasi. This measure came immediately after the implementation of 10 per cent reservation for economically weak in the general category in the upcoming educational year. The Parliament passed the Constitution (124th Amendment) Bill, 2019 in Parliament to grant 10 reservation in education and government jobs to economically weaker individuals belonging to the general category, across religions.The reservation is meant for individuals whose annual earning is below Rs 8 lakh and who possess less than 5 acres of agriculture land. Yogi Adityanath also announced pension scheme to Hindu seers who are above the age of 60.The scheme is also likely to benefit the seers in Uttar Pradesh. The pension will be provided to Hindu sadhus who are above the age of 60.This annoucement was madewhen Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh is hosted Kumbh Mela 2019.
- Where did Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) organize the NSTL – Academia Meet (NAM 2019) on 19th January 2019?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Visakhapatnam
Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) organized the NSTL – Academia Meet (NAM 2019) at Mohapatra Manasi Auditorium, Visakhapatnam, on 19th January 2019. With the theme “Artificial Intelligence for Naval Systems”, NAM 2019 provided the ideal platform for deliberation and discussion on the topic of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its application to defence systems, with specific emphasis on naval systems. A galaxy of researchers and faculty from 18 Universities, technologists and system developers of six labs of the DRDO – NSTL, NMRL, CAIR, NPOL, DMRL & DEAL actively participated in the meet and exchanged views and ideas in the exciting area of research – AI.
- _____ are the biggest supporters of international aid, as 95 % of them supported the international aid and expect their country to help other nations, as per World Economic Forum (WEF) global survey?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Indians
The World Economic Forum (WEF) released a survey ahead of its annual meeting which states that Indians are biggest supporters of international aid. 95 per cent of Indians supported the international aid and expect India to help other nations. World Economic Forum worked with Qualtrics to poll over 10000 from different parts of the world. South Asian Countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh exhibit widespread support for international aid leaving behind European countries. Pakistan and Indonesia are on the second position with 94 per cent of the people’s affirmative replies. The Global Average was 70 per cent and developed countries like France, Argentina, Germany and England scored near 60 per cent.
- Where was the Arab Economic and Social Development Summit held on 20th January 2019?
1) Beirut, Lebanon
2) Cairo, Egypt
3) Istanbul, Turkey
4) Amman, Jordan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Beirut, Lebanon
On 20th January 2019, the Arab Economic and Social Development Summit took place in Lebanon’s capital Beirut in which the Arab leaders have agreed a 29-item economic agenda in addition to encouraging the safe return of Syrian refugees to their homeland. About 20 countries took part in the summit and issued a joint statement called the Beirut Declaration which called for the establishment of an Arab free trade zone and the international community to support countries hosting refugees and displaced people. The summit also focussed on redevelopment plans in Somalia and Yemen. The summit also saw the launch of a $200m technology investment fund across the region by Kuwait’s foreign minister. The next Arab economic summit would be held in Mauritania’s capital Nouakchott in 2023.
- Nepal’s central bank banned the use of Indian currency notes above which denomination, on 20th January 2019?
1) Rs 500
2) Rs 50
3) Rs 100
4) Rs 1000
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rs 100
is widely used. The decision to ban notes has come up with Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s decision that Indian denominations of Rs.200, 500 and 2,000 cannot be carried and used for trading. Till to date, only the notes with a denomination of Rs.100 and below are freely exchangeable in Nepal. With the implementation of this new rule, Nepali citizens cannot carry these denominations to other countries except India and Nepali people are also not allowed to bring in such notes from other countries. nation where Indian currency notes of Rs 2,000, Rs 500 and Rs 200 denominations. i.e. above the denomination Rs 100. This move could affect Indian tourists visiting the Himalayan has banned the use of Indian currency On January 20, 2019,Nepal’s central bank
- India surpassed the United Kingdom in the 2019 rankings of world’s largest economies by increased rate ____% GDP growth?
1) 1.65 %
2) 2.25 %
3) 3.25 %
4) 4.15 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 1.65 %
On January 20, 2019, India surpassed the UK in the 2019 rankings of world’s largest economies by increased rate 1.65% GDP growth.India Is Poised To Become The World’s Fifth Largest Economy. France also surpassed the UK in the world’s largest economy rankings in 2019, knocking it from fifth to seventh place with increased rate of 1.7% GDP. Due to lower growth rate we may have a trade war in 2019,main focus of tension would be between US-China trade. The US was the world’s largest economy with a size of 19.39 trillion dollars, followed by China at 12.23 trillion dollars at the second place in 2017.
- Where did Dell, as a part of its three-city PolicyHack series, host an interactive hackathon, on 18th January 2019?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On January 18, 2019,Dell, as a part of its three-city PolicyHack series, hosted an interactive hackathon, where teachers focused on their learning journey in New Delhi. Dell has partnered with the UNESCO, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) and Ignus, to create a platform where teachers, school representatives and a cross-sectional group experts related to education can interawith each other. PolicyHackTM in India was conducted at two levels: over 80 schools pan-India took part in it.on the evaluation parameters, top 20 shortlisted schools represented themselves infront of the jury which includes Mr. Sanjay Awasthi (Member Secretary – NCTE), Mr. Rajive Gulati (Head – Start-Up Incubator, HARTRON), Prof. Dr. Anantha Duraiappah (Director, UNESCO MGIEP), Mr. Subir Shukla (Founder – Group Ignus), Mr. Ajay Kaul (Director – Dell EMC) and Ms. Ritu Gupta (Director – Dell). The initiative allows the teaching fraternity to come up with solutions for problems faced by teachers inside and outside the classroom.
- Name the United States based Indian poet who was awarded with the “Woman’s Voice Award” on the last day of Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF), on 20th January 2019?
1) Sadhana Vijay
2) Ranjani Murali
3) Apoorva Banerjee
4) Pramod Karmakar
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ranjani Murali
On 20th January 2019, US Based Indian poet Ranjani Murali was awarded with the “Woman’s Voice Award” on the last day of Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF). The Objective of the award is to recognize and encourage creative writing by women in India. The Award carried a cash prize of Rs 1 Lakh along with a citation. Ranjani Murali’s second book “Clearly you are ESL” won the Great Indian Poetry Collectives (GIPCs) Editor’s Choice award. Her first book “Blind Screens” was published in July 2017.
- Who was awarded the Sansad Ratna Award for his performance as a parliamentarian, by Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit in Chennai, on 19th January 2019?
1) Rajiv Satav
2) Anurag Thakur
3) Supriya Sule
4) K J Alphons
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Anurag Thakur
On 19th January 2019, the Bhartiya Janta Party’s Lok Sabha Member from Hamirpur in Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Thakur was presented the Sansad Ratna Awardfor his performance as a parliamentarian. The award was presented to Thakur by the Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit in Chennai. With the win he became the first MP from the BJP, besides being the only Member of Parliament from north India, to have been awarded the Jury Committee Special Award. The Sansad Ratna Awards was set up with the purpose of celebrating the performers of Indian Parliamentarians in 2010 upon the suggestion of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Bhartruhari Mahtab of Biju Janata Dal, Nationalist Congress Party’s Supriya Sule and Congress’ Rajiv Satav were honoured with Sansad Ratna Awards last year.
- Which Indian scientist will be awarded the first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research at the International Workshop on Advanced Materials at Ras Al Khairmain, United Arab Emirates (UAE), on 25th February 2019?
1) Suresh Mathur
2) CNR Rao
3) Ajith Wandekar
4) Sakshi Sinha
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) CNR Rao
On 19th January 2019, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research announced that the Centre for Advanced Materials of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) chose Eminent Scientist and Bharat Ratna recipient CNR Rao for the first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research. Professor CNR Rao will be awarded with the first Sheikh Saud International Prize on 25th February 2019 during the international Workshop on Advanced Materials at Ras Al Khairmain, UAE. The Award containing a plaque, a medal and a Cash Prize of USD 100000 will be presented by Sheikh Saud to Professor CNR Rao. CNR Rao was awarded with the highest Civilian award, Bharat Ratna in 2014 and presently he is working as the Honorary President of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research.
- Who was sworn in as the President of Madagascar on 19th January 2019?
1) Christian Ntsay
2) Andry Rajoelina
3) Rojer Alexandro
4) Vivian Richards
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Andry Rajoelina
On January 19, 2019,Madagascar president, Andry Rajoelina, has sworn into office after taking the oath in Antananarivo before nine judges of the High Constitutional Court. Few moments after taking oath as the president,he had a bilateral meeting with President Akufo-Addo of Ghana and that meeting indicated his intentions to deepen the relations between the two countries. He mentioned that his main motive is to double the electricity production and sell it at low price to his people and to create industries in all the six provinces to equalize the development in all corners of Madagascar.
- _____ was appointed as a member of Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), on 21st January 2019?
1) Mandeep Singh
2) Indu Shekhar Jha
3) Lagnajith Mohanty
4) Nitesh Lade
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Indu Shekhar Jha
On 21st January 2019, Shri Indu Shekhar Jha was appointed the member of Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC). Union Minister of State (I\C) for Power and the New & Renewable Energy, Shri R K Singh administered the oath of Office and Secrecy to Indu Shekhar Jha. Indu Shekhar Jha was working as the Chief Managing Director of Powergird Corporation of India Limited since 2015 before joining CERC.
- Name the person who was appointed as a member of Joint Electricity Regulation Commission for Manipur and Mizoram by Power Ministry, on 21st January 2019?
1) Amit Phangal
2) Ramona Philip
3) Sunil Prathap
4) Lalchharlian Pachuau
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Lalchharlian Pachuau
On 21st January 2019, Shri Lalchharlian Pachuau was appointed as a member of Joint Electricity Regulation Commission for Manipur and Mizoram by Power Ministry. Shri Lachharliana Pachuau has been appointed for the period of five years or age of 65 years whichever is earlier.
- Flipkart has promoted its Fashion department head _____ to head Myntra – Jabong’s Fashion and lifestyle categories as an additional responsibility?
1) Rishab Mehta
2) Rishi Vasudev
3) Abhishek Pandey
4) Rujutha Sajin
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rishi Vasudev
Walmart backed E-Commerce giant Flipkart promoted its Fashion department head Rishi Vasudev to head Myntra – Jabong’s Fashion and lifestyle categories as an additional responsibility. Rishi Vasudev will report to Flipkart CEO Kalyan Krishnamurthy after the formal announcement which is expected in next 10 days. Earlier Flipkart has appointed Amar Nagaram as the head of Myntra-Jabong after resignation of its CEO Ananth Narayanan.
- Who was declared the President of Democratic Republic of Congo on 20th January 2019, making path for the first peaceful, democratic transfer of Power since Congo’s Independence in 1960?
1) Roger Imtiaz
2) Felix Tshisekedi
3) Amal Mac Xavier
4) Alwin Roberto
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Answer – 2) Felix Tshisekedi
On 20th January 2019, the Constitutional court of Democratic Republic of Congo confirmed the President’s election victory of Felix Tshisekedi of UDPS party making path for the first peaceful, democratic transfer of Power since Congo’s Independence in 1960. The New National Assembly will be installed in Congo on 26th January 2019. Felix Tshisekedi won more than 7 million votes or 38 per cent and his opponent Fayulu received 34 per cent votes in the election conducted on 30th December 2018.
- Which country’s spy satellite carried by a powerful Delta 4 Heavy rocket, lifted off on 19th January 2019?
2) United States of America
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United States of America
On January 19, 2019, a powerful Delta 4 Heavy rocket carrying a U.S. spy satellite lifted off from California. The central core booster’s Aerojet Rocketdyne RS-68A engine continued fired until the upper stage’s single RL10B-2 engine ignited to continue the climb to space. This was the second attempt after the launch was postponed because of a communication problem between the control center and the launch site. National Reconnaissance Office satellites gathers intelligence information for U.S. national security and an array of other purposes including assessing impacts of natural disasters.The alliance already have carried 27 launches for the National Reconnaissance Office over the past 12 years.
- Overall Tele-density in India climbed to ____% at the end of November 2018, as per the Tele-density data of India released by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)?
1) 65.66 %
3) 45.90 %
4) 38.75 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 91.21%
On 18th January 2019, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has released the Tele-density data of India which stated that the total number of mobile phone subscribers in India as on 30th November,2018 was 117.18 crore with a net addition of 17.39 lakh customers during the month. The number of telephone subscribers in India stood at 1,193.72 million at the end of Nov-18. The overall Tele-density in India climbed to 91.21% at the end of Nov-18. Total wireless subscribers (GSM, CDMA & LTE) went upto 1,171.76 million at the end of Nov-18. This has made the Wireless Tele-density in India to reach 89.54% at the end of Nov-18. The private access service providers held 89.99% market share of the wireless subscribers whereas BSNL and MTNL, the two PSU access service providers, had a market share of only 10.01%.The cumulative Mobile Number Portability (MNP) requests reached to 407.22 million at the end of Nov-18, since the implementation of MNP.
- Name the company that launched a new e-commerce platform re-weave.in for handloom weavers under its Project ReWeave, on 20th January 2019?
1) Google India
2) Microsoft India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Microsoft India
On January 20, 2019,Microsoft India has launched a new e-commerce platform re-weave.in for handloom weavers under its Project ReWeave. This e-commerce platform will help connect artisans to buyers directly, enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets. Microsoft in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) also curated a special curriculum in ‘CAD and Color for Handloom Weaving’ to provide digital training in handloom design.
- Which state won the Overall Trophy with 228 medals at the Khelo India Youth Games that concluded in Pune, Maharashtra, on 20th January 2019?
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Maharashtra
On 20th January 2019, the Khelo India Youth Games concluded at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi in Pune with the host Maharashtra leading the medals table by winning a mammoth 85 gold, 62 silver and 81 bronze for a total of 228 medals in the Games. With a total of 228 medals, hosts Maharashtra also walked away with the Overall Trophy at the Khelo India Youth Games. Union Minister for Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar and Maharashtra Sports Minister Vinod Tawde presented the winning trophy at the closing ceremony in Pune. Haryana, stood at second place with 62 gold, 56 silver and 60 bronze for a total of 178 medals. Delhi stood third with 48 gold, 37 silver and 51 bronze, a tally of 136 medals. Individually, Karnataka swimmer Srihari Nataraj became the most medals winner by competing in seven events in the U-21 category and winning all of them. The 16-year-old’s timing of 26.16 secs in 50m backstroke was a senior national record.
- Which state was adjudged as the best team at the Women’s National Boxing Championships, held at Vijayanagara, Karnataka, on 6th January 2019?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Haryana
On 6th January 2019, World Championship bronze medallist Assam’s Lovlina Borgohain claimed the gold medal while Haryana boxer Manisha Moun had to settle with silver at the Women’s National Boxing Championships held at the JSW Sports’ Inspire Institute of Sports, Vijayanagara, Karnataka. Lovlina Borgohain of Assam won the gold in 69 kg category bout. Manisha Moun lost to Meenakumari of All India Police (AIP) in the finals of 54 kg class. Haryana won three gold medals through the reliable Pinki Rani Jangra (51kg), Neeraj (60kg) and Pooja Rani (81kg). Railways also won 3 gold medals with the win of Sonia Lather (57kg), Neetu (75kg) and Seema Poonia (+81kg). Punjab earned two gold through Manju Rani (48kg) and Simranjit Kaur. In the Flyweight category, Pinki Rani won the gold by defeating Telangana opponent Nikhat Zareen. Haryana was adjudged the best team while Simranjit of Punjab was the best boxer and Tamil Nadu’s S.Kalaivani and Telengana’s Nikhat were the most promising and challenging boxer respectively.
- Name the Indian tennis player who won the International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) 25,000-dollar Women’s tournament in Singapore, on 20th January 2019?
1) Karman Kaur Thandi
2) Ankita Raina
3) Rujutha Bhosale
4) Nirupama Rao
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ankita Raina
On 20th January 2019, India’s Ankita Raina won the International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) 25,000-dollar Women’s tournament in Singapore by defeating top seed and world number 122 Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands, by 6-3, 6-2. Besides being the first title of the season, it is Ankita’s fourth title at the USD 25k level, and eighth overall. Ankita has earned 50 points from this win and has achieved a jump of 35 places to a career-high 168 in the latest WTA singles rankings issued on 21st January 2019. She will next play the Fed Cup, starting in the first week of next month at Astana, Kazakhstan.
- When did Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura celebrate their 42nd statehood day?
1) January 20
2) January 22
3) January 21
4) January 19
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) January 21
On January 21, 2019,Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura are celebrating their statehood day.It is their 42nd statehood day. In the year 1972, all the three states became full-fledged states under the North Eastern Region (Reorganisation) Act, 1971. The erstwhile princely states of Tripura and Manipur were merged with India in 1949 and became full-fledged states in 1972. Meghalaya was a part of Assam before it was carved out as a full-fledged state under the North Eastern Region (Re-Organisation) Act, 1971.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Name the Director General and headquarters of Sports Authority of India (SAI)?Answer – Director General – Neelam Kapoor; Headquarters – Delhi
- Who is the Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)?Answer – Ram Sewak Sharma
- What is the capital and currency of Democratic Republic of Congo?Answer – Capital – Kinshasa; Currency – Congolese franc
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya is _____?Answer – Conrad Sangma
- Who is the President of Boxing Federation of India (BFI)?Answer – Ajay Singh