AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 19 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- The 3rd edition of the Raisina Dialogue began in New Delhi on January 16, 2018. Who inaugurated this function?
1. Prime minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern
2. Prime Minister of Italy, Paolo Gentiloni Silveri
3. Prime Minister of France, Édouard Charles Philippe
4. Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu
5. Prime Minister of Spain, Mariano Rajoy BreyAnswer – 4. Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu
3rd edition of the Raisina Dialogue began in New Delhi on January 16, 2018. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu. Theme of 3rd Raisina Dialogue was “Managing Disruptive Transitions: Ideas, Institutions and Idioms”. First held in 2016, Raisina Dialogueis a multilateral conference held annually in New Delhi. It is Indian Government’s flagship conference on geopolitics and geo-economics. It is hosted by an independent think tank named Observer Research Foundation in collaboration with the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
- How many cities are selected under the Smart Cities Mission by Indian Government recently ?
5. 17Answer – 2. 9
Central Government announced names of nine new cities selected under the Smart Cities Mission. Announcement in this regard was made by Minister of State, Housing & Urban Affairs, Hardeep S Puri. The nine cities that have been selected have proposed an investment of Rs. 12824 crore. Out of Rs.12824 investment that has been proposed, 10639 crore would be in Area Based Development initiatives and Rs. 2185 crore for Pan City initiatives. These investments will impact 35.3 lakh persons living in these nine cities. Minister of State, Housing & Urban Affairs, Hardeep S Puri has stated that with the selection of nine new cities, total investment proposed under Smart Cities Mission has reached Rs.203979 crore.
- In which year, the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) programme, with an objective to ensure comprehensive and quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women across India?
5. 2017Answer – 4. 2016
J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has stated that antenatal check-ups under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) has crossed one crore mark. PMSMA programme was launched in 2016 with an objective to ensure comprehensive and quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women across India. Under this programme, quality antenatal checkups are provided to pregnant women on the 9th of every month at PMSAM sites. On this day, pregnant women visiting the sites are appropriately examined and investigated by an obstetrician/physician. PMSMA has been successful in reaching out to the difficult and remote areas of India, as out of the 1 crore checkups, more than 25 lakh check-ups were conducted in high priority districts identified by the Union Health Ministry for focussed attention.
- In which state the first Blockchain academy was inaugurated?
5. KarnatakaAnswer – 2. Kerala
Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K) and Blockchain Education Network (BEN) have planned to jointly set up Kerala Blockchain Academy at Technopark campus, in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. This Blockchain academy is said to be the first of its kind in India. Michael Gord, founder and CEO of MLG Blockchain Consulting, launched the website for the Blockchain academy. Michael Gord is on the Advisory Board of BEN. The Blockchain academy aims to utilise blockchain technology for the welfare of public, promote innovations and entrepreneurship with blockchain technology.
- Which state government has planned to commission Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) in coastal areas of 6 districts by March 2018?
5. GujaratAnswer – 1. Odisha
Odisha government has planned to commission Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) in coastal areas of 6 districts by March 2018. This project aims to provide foolproof communication system for providing information to the local people about disasters like cyclone and tsunami. This is a part of World Bank-supported National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP). This will provide last mile connectivity in 22 blocks of six coastal districts namely Balasore, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Puri and Ganjam. Total cost of the project is Rs 75 crore. Out of this Rs 67 crore will be provided by NCRMP. Remaining amount will be provided by Odisha government under State Disaster Response Fund. This system will send disaster warning messages to all mobile phone subscribers in the area that is to be affected by a disaster. This alert system will cover 122 locations in total.
- Which country joins Australia Group recently and thereby became the 43rd member of the Australia Group (AG)?
5. IndiaAnswer – 5. India
On January 19, 2018 India formally became the 43rd member of the Australia Group (AG). Australia Group is a cooperative and voluntary group comprising countries that are working to prevent the spread of materials, equipment and technologies that could be used to develop or acquire chemical and biological weapons (CBW). It was established in year 1985. Secretariat of Australia Group is managed by Australia. By joining Australia Group, India is now a member of three out of four non proliferation groups. India joined the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) in 2016 and the Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) in 2017. Despite intense diplomatic efforts India has not been able to join Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) owing to China’s objection.
- In which country, the world’s largest underwater cave was discovered by the Divers of Great Maya Aquifer Project?
5. ChinaAnswer – 2. Mexico
Divers of Great Maya Aquifer Project have discovered world’s largest known underwater, flooded cave in Mexico. This cave system is located near the beach resort of Tulum on the Yucatan Peninsula. It is made of two massive underwater caverns (Sac Actun and Dos Ojos, measuring 163 miles and 52 miles, respectively) that are connected. With discovery of this connection, the combined length of Sac Actun-Dos Ojos system stands at nearly 215 miles. This is much larger than Ox Bel Ha cave system (also in Mexico), which stretches 168 miles long and was considered as world’s largest underwater cave system.The Sac Actun-Dos Ojos cave system is also full of pre-Hispanic archaeological sites from the ancient Mayan civilisation.
- Name the Small Finance Bank which has signed an MoU with LIC to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY)?
1. Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
2. AU Small Finance Bank
3. Equitas Small Finance Bank
4. Capital Local Area Bank
5. Disha Microfin Private LtdAnswer – 2. AU Small Finance Bank
AU Small Finance Bank has signed a MoU with LIC to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY). As per the MoU, LIC will provide a life cover of Rs 2 lakh in case of death to the customer at a premium of Rs 330 per annum. AU Small Finance Bank’s MD and CEO Sanjay Agarwal, said that, the bank aims to provide services to its customers under a single roof.
- Name the Mobile Application that has launched Business app to help small enterprises to connect efficiently with their customers.
5. WhatsAppAnswer – 5. WhatsApp
WhatsApp has launched Business app to help small enterprises to connect efficiently with their customers. The WhatsApp Business app has been launched for Android systems. It has been released in Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, the UK and the US. It is expected to release soon in India. Currently the WhatsApp Business app is free of cost. A small enterprise owner can create a Business Profile containing details like business description, email or store addresses, and website with the app. This will be highlighted to regular users on WhatsApp. The app provides features like quick replies, etc. to help provide fast answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs). Also, there will be greeting messages and away messages for customers.
- Name the Ecotourism Trust which was awarded the “Innovation in Tourism Enterprise” award, at the 14th UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organisation) Awards ceremony in Madrid, Spain.
1. Dzüleke Eco Tourism Board, Nagaland
2. Nilgiri Pipit Ecotourism, Kerala
3. Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust, Odisha
4. Munnar Ecotourism, Kerala
5. Coorg Ecotourism, KarnatakaAnswer – 3. Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust, Odisha
Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust of Odisha was awarded the “Innovation in Tourism Enterprise” award, at the 14th UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organisation) Awards ceremony in Madrid, Spain. Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust is promoted by RBS Foundation India and Indian Grameen Services. It is a community owned and run entity. It is located on the banks of Chilika Lake in Odisha. Earlier, the villagers of Mangalajodi were involved in poaching of birds. Now they have transformed into defenders of wildlife, owing to the efforts of the trust. The ‘Innovation in Tourism Enterprise’ was awarded based on the principles of community ownership and Eco Tourism. UNWTO stated that Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust’s business model is economically feasible and contributes to environment sustainability.
- Who is the first African American, to join Facebook’s board?
1. Kenneth Chenault
2. Ursula Burns
3. Samuel Jins
4. Edward Gilligan
5. Kenneth FrazierAnswer – 1. Kenneth Chenault
Kenneth Chenault, Former CEO of American Express, joined Facebook’s board, becoming the first African American Board Member of Facebook. Kenneth Chenault has vast experience in fields like customer service, direct commerce, etc. He retired from his CEO position in American Express in October 2017. He was also American Express’ first black CEO. Facebook had been looking for an African American board member to fix its lack of diversity.
- Which is the Indian Navy’s largest ship and the only aircraft carrier, that has been formally affiliated to Indian Army’s Bihar Regiment and No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force?
1. INS Mumbai
2. INS Viraat
3. INS Vikramaditya
4. INS Shivalik
5. INS ArihantAnswer – 3. INS Vikramaditya
Indian Naval Ship Vikramaditya, which is Indian Navy’s largest ship and the only aircraft carrier, has been formally affiliated to Indian Army’s Bihar Regiment and No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force. Bihar Regiment is a highly decorated Infantry Unit of the Indian Army. No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force specializes in maritime strike operations and operates the Jaguar fighter aircraft. Rear Admiral RB Pandit, the Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet stated that the idea behind the affiliation was to foster a feeling of mutual pride and friendship between the three units that would enhance synergy and jointmanship between the three services. The affiliation ceremony was held onboard INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar Naval Base, Karnataka. The affiliation motto is ‘Victory through Jointness’.
- What is India’s position in FIFA Rankings 2018 ?
5. 104thAnswer – 3. 102nd
India climbed up 3 places to secure 102nd spot in the first FIFA rankings of 2018. India has secured a total of 333 points. Indian team remained unbeaten in 2017 and had won seven of nine matches conducted by FIFA. The top 14 positions remained unchanged. Germany secured 1st spot. It is followed by Brazil, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium. India is followed by Qatar at 103rd position. Iran is the top ranked Asian team at the 34th position.
- To which Profession Chandi Lahiri belonged to?
5. ActorAnswer – 3. Cartoonist
Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri passed away following respiratory ailments, at R G Kar Hospital, in Kolkata. Chandi Lahiri was 86 years old. He is survived by his wife and a daughter. He started his a career as a journalist. His cartoons were published in several English and Bengali newspapers and magazines. He was also called the creator of ‘pocket cartoons’ in Bengal. He also authored books like “Catoon er itibritto (the history of cartoons)” and “Scene’s Freedom: a history in cartoons 1947-1993”.
- Jo Jo White passed away recently. To which sport he belonged to?
1. Basket Ball
5. HandballAnswer – 1. Basket Ball
Basket Ball legend Jo Jo White passed away. No details regarding Jo Jo Whites’ death has been revealed. He had underwent a surgery for brain tumor in 2010. He was 71 years old. He was a basketball Hall of Famer. He played for the team Boston Celtics. He had won NBA champion twice. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2015.
- Name the British television and stage actor who passed away recently at Westminster hospital, in London.
1. Michael Caine
2. Peter Wyngarde
3. David Calder
4. Peter Capaldi
5. Simon CallowAnswer – 2. Peter Wyngarde
British television and stage actor Peter Wyngarde passed away following a long time illness at Chelsea and Westminster hospital, in London. Peter Wyngarde was 90 years old. He was popularly known for his role in ‘Department S’ television series. He had acted in various shows and movies like ‘The Avengers’, ‘The Saint,’ ‘Flash Gordon’ etc.
- Which state Government launched Girl Child Week programme to celebrate the girl child and spread awareness on gender equality?
5. BiharAnswer – 2. Delhi
Delhi launched Girl Child Week programme to celebrate the girl child and spread awareness on gender equality. The Girl Child Week is held from 18 January to 24 January 2018. 24 January is celebrated as National Girl Child Day. The Girl Child Week is organised by NGO Alliance Defending Freedom India and PC&PNDT Cell of Directorate of Family Welfare of Delhi government. The Girl Child Week campaign is conducted to spread awareness on the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC&PNDT) Act, 1994. This act prohibits sex determination during pregnancy. Arvind Kejriwal signed the pledge to honour and respect women. He said that, the sex ratio at birth in Delhi has raised from 886 females for 1,000 males in 2012 to 902 for 1,000 males in 2016.
- On what date, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrated its 13th Raising Day in New Delhi?
1. 19th January
2. 18th January
3. 17th January
4. 16th January
5. 15th JanuaryAnswer – 1. 19th January
On 19th January 2018, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrated its 13th Raising Day in New Delhi. Rajiv Jain, Director Intelligence Bureau, was the chief guest of the occasion. Distinguished Service Medals to NDRF personnel were awarded at the occasion. An MoU was also signed in between NDRF and NSDC (National Skill Development Corporation). A co-operation with Facebook was also carried out at the programme. This cooprtaion with Facebook focuses on targeted geographical messaging, disaster information volunteers and community capacity building.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the capital of Israel?Jerusalem
- What is the Motto of World Bank?Working for a World Free of Poverty
- What is the currency of Mexico?Peso
- Where is the headquarters of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) located?Mumbai
- Who is the CEO of WhatsApp?Jan Koum