AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 16 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Where was the 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ held from 12th to 14th January 2019, to encourage women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Chandigarh
From 12th to 14th January 2019,The Ministry of Women and Child Development organised the three-day 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ in Chandigarh, to encourage the women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India. This programme is conducted twice in a year with a motive to connect the Indian women entreprenurs with with other buyers and create awarness about the importance of adopting organic products for a healthy and a environmental friendly life-style. The Festival visualised over 1,000 varied organic products, including fabric, wellness, grains, seeds, jewellery, bakery items and a lot more.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis reaffirmed the state government’s commitment towards doubling farmers income by _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 2022
On January 14, 2019, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis reaffirmed the state government’s commitment towards doubling farmers income by 2022. According to his announcement,The government has approved Rs 24,000 crore worth loan waiver for the state’s 51 lakh farmers holding bank accounts. It had also made available more than Rs 10,000 crore fund through budget in the current fiscal for implementation of various schemes. Rs 15,240 crore worth compensation were distributed to farmers whose crops were damaged by natural calamity.He also mentioned about the government’s Jalyukta Shivar water conservation scheme. Rs 34,000 crore was given for upgrading the dams in the state.
- A harvest festival named “Pongal” is celebrated in which state from January 15 to 18, 2019?
2) Uttar Pradesh
3) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Tamil Nadu
On 15th January 2019, Pongal a harvest festival started in Tamil Nadu. It is a four-day festival according to the Tamil calendar and it is usually celebrated from January 15 to January 18.Pongal means to boil. Rice is boiled in milk and offered firstly to the sun and then cows and then to the family and friends. Pongal marks the beginning of the sun’s northward journey towards the equinox, known as Uttarayan. The first day of Pongal is celebrated in honour of Lord Indra and is called Bogi or Bhogi Pongal. The second day is dedicated to the Sun God and known as Surya Pongal. On third day Jallikattu festival starts and is dedicated to cattle and called Mattu Pongal. Fourth day marks the end of the festival for the year and is called Kaanum Pongal or Thiruvalluvar day.
- Where was the First Annual Disarmament and International Security Affairs Fellowship Programme organised by Ministry of External Affairs on 14th January 2019?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On 14th January 2019, the First Annual Disarmament and International Security Affairs Fellowship Programme was organised by Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi. The event will be concluded on 1st February 2019. The event was inaugurated by the United Nations Under Secretary General and High Representative for Disarmament, Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu, and Foreign Secretary, Shri Vijay Keshav Gokhale. The Fellowship Programme, which is being held at the Foreign Services Institute, New Delhi will be attended by Young Diplomats from 27 countries. Multiple issues related to disarmament and international security such as global security environment, weapons of mass destruction, certain conventional weapons, space security, maritime cooperation, security of cyberspace, export controls, emerging technologies etc. will be covered in the programme. The aim of the programme is to equip participants with knowledge and perspectives on various issues related to disarmament, non-proliferation, arms control and international security.
- Multi-Modal Logistics Park (MMLP), spread over 28.3 acres and built at a cost of Rs 100 crore at Jharsuguda in ____ was dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 15th January 2019?
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Odisha
On 15th January 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched a slew of Central government projects worth over Rs.1,550 crore in Balangir district of Odisha for accelerating the state’s development. The prime minister dedicated to the nation the electrification of Jharsuguda-Vizianagaram and Sambalpur-Angul railway lines spanning 813 km and completed at a cost of Rs 1,085 crore. He also inaugurated the doubling of 14.2 km Barpali-Dungaripali and 17.3 km Balangir-Deogaon rail lines, completed at a cost of Rs 189.3 crore. Besides a Multi-Modal Logistics Park (MMLP), spread over 28.3 acres and built at a cost of Rs 100 crore at Jharsuguda was also dedicated to the nation. He also inaugurated the 15 km-long Balangir-Bichhupali ailway line laid at a cost of Rs 115 crore. It is part of the new 289-km Balangir-Khurda road line which connects to Howrah-Chennai main line on Khurda Road and Titlagarh-Sambalpur line at Balangir.
- Where did Minister for Women & Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi inaugurate the Regional Centre of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) on 14th January 2019?
1) Mangalore, Karnataka
2) Anantpur, Andhra Pradesh
3) Mohali, Punjab
4) Aizwl, Mizoram
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mohali, Punjab
On January 14, 2019, Minister for Women & Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi inaugurated Regional Centre of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) at Mohali, Punjab. Addressing at the function,she stressed on the need for training and development of elected women representatives of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) to ensure that fruitful development would reach the top level through their active participation and actual empowerment. It is a premier organisation devoted to promotion of voluntary action research, training and documentation in the overall domain of women and child development.This organisation have already four such Regional Centres one each at Bangalore, Guwahati, Indore and Lucknow besides the Headquarters at New Delhi.
- Union Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated DD Science and India Science initiatives aimed to integrate science in everyday life and to make India reach in top 3 of countries propagating science and technology by _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 2030
On January 15, 2019, Union Science & Technology Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated 2 national level initiatives in the field of Science and Communications.These initiatives are the first step in creating a national science channel for the country. The initiatives were: DD Science andIndia Science. These were launched by: The Department of Science and Technology (DST) and Doordarshan(DD), Prasar Bharati. These were made official by singing of MOUs between: Vigyan Prasar and Doordarshan. These are aimed to integrate and elevate science in everyday life and to make India reach in top 3 of countries propagating science and technology by 2030. The channels have been conceived and supported by the DST and are being implemented and managed by Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous organisation of DST. India Science (www.indiascience.in) is already a 24×7 presence and DD Science may also be scaled up to a full-fledged channel in the future. As per content, people will have free access to science-based documentaries, studio-based discussions, and virtual walkthroughs of scientific institutions, interviews and short films.
- Which was the first city to introduce ROADEO, the robot which will assist the pedestrians, especially children while crossing the roads, on 14th January 2019?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Pune
On 14th January 2019, Pune became the first city to introduce ROADEO, the robot which will assist the pedestrians, especially children while crossing the roads. It will also ease the work of traffic police, as these robots can be integrated with the traffic signals, as well as can be operated manually, through a Bluetooth app. The robot has two hands to interact with the people and show traffic signs. It has highly expressive eyes to create a feel of a neighborhood helper and also a display to show important messages. Chennai became the second city after Pune to introduce ROADEO.
- Ministry of Finance announced that a new series of sovereign gold bonds will be available at _____ rupees per gram from 14th to 18th January 2019?
1) Rs 3,214 per gram
2) Rs 2,456 per gram
3) Rs 1,260 per gram
4) Rs 4,382 per gram
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 3,214 per gram
On 12th January 2019, ministry of finance announced that a new series of sovereign gold bonds will be available at Rs 3,214 per gram from 14th January to 18thJanuary 2019. A discount of Rs 50 per gram will be given to the Investors who apply online for the Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2018-19 – Series V. Interest rate of 2.50 percent per annum will be offered to the investors which is payable semi-annually. The interest earned is taxable. The issue price of gold bond will be Rs 3,164 per gram of gold with the settlement date of January 22, 2019.
- India’s headline inflation rate based on the consumer price index (combined) reduced to an 18-month low of what percent in December 2018, as per an official release by Central Statistics Office (CSO)?
1) 3.22 %
2) 2.19 %
3) 4.12 %
4) 3.14 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 2.19 %
On January 14, 2019, according to an official release by Central Statistics Office (CSO), citing cooling food and fuel prices as the reasons, it stated that wholesale and retail inflation reduced to a multi month low with CPI falling to an 18-month low in December,2018. India’s headline inflation rate based on the consumer price index (combined) reduced to an 18-month low of 2.19% in December, down from 2.33% in November, 2018. It was 5.21% in December 2017.
- Wholesale inflation (measured by Wholesale Price Index) softened to an eight-month low of ____% in December 2018, as per an official release by Central Statistics Office (CSO)?
1) 3.8 %
2) 2.7 %
3) 1.9 %
4) 4.1 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 3.8 %
On January 14, 2019, according to an official release by Central Statistics Office (CSO), citing cooling food and fuel prices as the reasons, it stated that wholesale and retail inflation reduced to a multi month low with CPI falling to an 18-month low in December,2018. Wholesale inflation (measured by WPI) softened to an eight-month low of 3.8% in December from 4.64% in November, 2018.
- Who was awarded the Franco-German Prize for Human Rights and the Rule of Law for 2018 in Beijing, China, on 14th January 2019?
1) Xu Wen Lang
2) Yu Wensheng
3) Sia Cheng
4) Jin Lee
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Yu Wensheng
On 14th January 2019, detained Chinese lawyer, Mr Yu Wensheng who is best known for suing the Beijing government over the city’s once chronic pollution, granted a human rights award by the French and German ambassadors to China at an event organised by the German embassy in Beijing. Yu Wensheng’s wife, Madam Xu Yan, received the Franco-German Prize for Human Rights and the Rule of Law for 2018, on his behalf. The awards which consisted of 15 winners were announced in November last year. Mr Yu was detained in January last year and charged with “inciting subversion of state power” after he had circulated an open letter calling for five reforms to China’s Constitution, including the institution of multi-candidate presidential elections. Since President Xi Jinping took power in 2012, Beijing has stepped up its crackdown on civil society by tightening restrictions on freedom of speech and detaining hundreds of activists and lawyers.
- Name the chief executive officer (CEO) of Myntra and Jabong who quit the company on 14th January 2019?
1) Binny Bansal
2) Ananth Narayanan
3) Ajay Mehra
4) Sanket Bansali
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ananth Narayanan
On 14th January 2019, Ananth Narayanan, the chief executive officer of Myntra and Jabong, a unit of Walmart-owned Flipkart, quit the company to pursue external opportunities. Ananth Narayanan is expected to join as the chief executive officer of video streaming service Hotstar.
- Who was appointed the new chief executive officer (CEO) of Myntra and Jabong, on 14th January 2019?
1) Vishnu Srinivasan
2) Amar Nagaram
3) Sumit Agarwal
4) Vasuki Rawat
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Amar Nagaram
On 14th January 2019, Ananth Narayanan, the chief executive officer of Myntra and Jabong, a unit of Walmart-owned Flipkart, quit the company to pursue external opportunities. Ananth Narayanan is expected to join as the chief executive officer of video streaming service Hotstar. Flipkart executive Amar Nagaram who previously headed consumer shopping experience has been appointed as the new head of Myntra and Jabong and will report to Flipkart Group CEO Kalyan Krishnamurthy. Earlier in November Flipkart’s co-founder & group CEO, Binny Bansal, had also stepped down from the company following a probe into serious personal misconduct.
- Name the former SBI Managing Director who was appointed by ICICI Bank on its board as independent director for 5 years, on 14th January 2019?
1) R Gandhi
2) Arundathi Bhattacharya
3) B Sriram
4) Akash Parekh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) B Sriram
On January 14, 2019, private sector ICICI Bank appointed former SBI Managing Director B Sriram on its board as independent director for 5 years. Prior to this, Sriram was the managing director of IDBI Bank and before which he was the same in SBI. Besides him, ICICI also appointed management consultant Rama Bijapurkar as independent director.
- Who stepped down as Accenture’s chief executive officer (CEO) on 11th January 2019?
1) Pierre Nanterme
2) David Huffman
3) Rufus Roosevelt
4) Sean Winfield
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pierre Nanterme
On January 11, 2019,Accenture,a Dublin based consultant firm’s CEO Pierre Nanterme steps down from his post due to his health issues. Though resigned as CEO of the company,Pierre Nanterme will continue at Accenture as advisor to the CEO. The lead independent director Marge Magner was named non-executive chair.
- Name the person who was named interim chief executive officer (CEO) of Accenture, on 11th January 2019?
1) Joseph Maynard
2) David Rowland
3) Michelle Robbins
4) Jimmy Steve
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) David Rowland
On January 11, 2019, Accenture,a Dublin based consultant firm’s CEO Pierre Nanterme steps down from his post due to his health issues. Financial Officer of the company David Rowland was named interim CEO. Though resigned as CEO of the company,Pierre Nanterme will continue at Accenture as advisor to the CEO. The lead independent director Marge Magner was named non-executive chair.
- American and Dutch scientists found that yearly ice mass loss in Antarctica increased _____ times more in the past 40 years?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 6
On January 14, 2019,American and Dutch scientists found that yearly ice mass loss in Antarctica increased six times more in the past 40 years. The increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is adding enough ice to the continent through the increased losses from its thinning glaciers. It is the longest-ever assessment of Antarctic ice mass, covering 176 basins and surrounding islands. The Antarctic ice sheet revealed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001.And net slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.Their report also revealed the accelerated melting elevated global sea levels more than 1.2 centimeters during 1979 to 2017.As Antarctica is shedding ice at a rapid rate,we can except a multi-meter rise in the sea level in the upcoming decades.
- British’s Andy Murray announced his retirement from which sport on 11th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Tennis
On 11th January 2019, British tennis player and former World No. 1, Andy Murray, because of his right hip injury, announced to retire from the game after this year’s Wimbledon if he can keep playing beyond this month’s Australian Open. The 31-year-old Murray who had hip surgery a year ago said the pain has become unbearable and that he had made the decision last month during his training camp to make this summer’s Wimbledon his final tournament. Murray had won three Grand Slam titles: Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016 and the US Open in 2012 besides two Olympic gold medals in singles in 2012 and 2016, 45 ATP crowns, and led Britain to their first Davis Cup triumph. Murray became the first singles player from the United Kingdom officially to be world No. 1 when he topped the rankings Nov. 7, 2016.
- Who resigned as Indian Football team’s Head Coach, on 14th January 2019?
1) Stephen Constantine
2) Carlos Solis
3) Orson Hodge
4) Michael Rex
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Stephen Constantine
On 14th January 2019, Indian Football team’s Head Coach, Stephen Constantine resigned from his post following the exit of Indian team from the AFC Asian Cup 2019. AFC Asian Football Cup, organized by Asian Football Confederation is being held in the United Arab Emirates from 5th January 2019 to 1st January 2019. Indian suffered an exit from the group stage of AFC Asian Cup after their 1-0 loss against Bahrain at Sharjah Stadium on 14th January 2019. Bahrain’s Jamal Rashed scored goal in the 91st minute of game which was proved to be the winning goal. Stephen Constantine was on four contract with Indian Football team since 2015. It was his second stint as India Manager after having been at the helm from 2002 to 2005.
- Lenin Rajendran passed away on 14th January 2019. He was a Malayalam director and ____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Screenwriter
On January 14, 2019, Malayalam director and screenwriter Lenin Rajendran passed away at 67. He was a five-time recipient of the Kerala State Film Awards and also received the International Federation of Film Critics Award for the best Malayalam film for his ‘Makaramanju’ screened at the 2010 IFFK. In the 23rd International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) six of his films were screened under the category ‘Chronicler of Our Times’. He was also chairman of the Kerala State Film Development Corporation. Overall, he had directed 16 films in his 35-year career.
- Sir Michael Atiyah passed away on 14th January 2019. What was his profession?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mathematician
On January 14, 2019, 1966 Fields Medal-Winning Mathematician Sir Michael Atiyah passed away. He was best known for his contribution to a branch of mathematics called topological K-theory and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem. He received many awards, notably the Fields Medal, Abel Prize and the Royal Society’s highest accolade, the Copley Medal. He was also the chancellor of the University of Leicester and was the President of Royal Society in 1990-1995.
- Shivajirao Deshmukh died following a long term illness in Mumbai. He was a _____?
3) Film maker
4) Business man
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Politician
On 14th January 2019, 83 year old Shivajirao Deshmukh, former chairman of the state legislative council and senior Congress leader died follwing long illnesses while under treatment at Mumbai, Maharashtra.His last rites to be performed at Shirala on 15th January. He belongs to Shirala tehsil in Sangli district of western Maharashtra. Shivajirao Deshmukh served as revenue minister in the Vasantsada Patil government in 1976-85. He was also the former speaker of Maharashtra legislative assembly. He won the assembly polls four times from Shirala seat in 1978, 1980, 1985 and in 1990. In 2008 he was elected as Chairman of the upper house and continued till 2015.
- When was the 71st Indian Army Day observed in India to remember our soldiers for their bravery and sacrifice?
1) January 12
2) January 13
3) January 14
4) January 15
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) January 15
On January 15, 2019, an annual parade was held at the Carriappa Parade Ground in New Delhi to celebrate the 71st anniversary of the Indian Army Day. January 15 is celebrated as the Indian Army Day to commemorate our soldiers for their bravery and sacrifice. This day was constituted by Field Marshall KM Cariappa who took over as the first Indian Army chief in 1949.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Name the MD and CEO and headquarters of ICICI Bank?Answer – MD& CEO – Mr. Sandeep Bakshi; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Which state houses the Mukurthi National Park?Answer – Tamil Nadu
- Chief Minister of Odisha is ____?Answer – Naveen Patnaik
- What is the capital and currency of United Kingdom?Answer – Capital – London; Currency – Pound Sterling
- Who is the Secretary General of United Nations?Answer – António Guterres