AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 16 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- To foster a culture of innovation and creativity among young students and provide an opportunity to gain national recognition for their creations, what is the competition launched by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM)?
5. None of theseAnswer – 2. IPrism
Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) a professional body under Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has launched a one of its kind Intellectual Property (IP) Competition, ‘IPrism’ for college and university students. CIPAM-DIPP has launched this competition in collaboration with Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) and ERICSSON India. The objective of this competition is to foster a culture of innovation and creativity among young students and provide an opportunity to gain national recognition for their creations. Winning teams will be awarded cash prizes worth INR 4 lacs. Winners will also get mementos, certificates and recognition on the official CIPAM website.
- Which state hosted the 65th meeting of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) 2018?
5.New DelhiAnswer – 5. New Delhi
65th meeting of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) was held in New Delhi on January 15, 2018. CABE is the highest advisory body to advise the Central and State Governments in the field of education. While speaking at the meeting, Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javadekar stated that Centre and state governments have resolved to identify the number of children out of school in the country. Scheme to identify ‘out of school children’ will start from September, 2018. However, sub-committee on out of school children, which will submit its final report on January 31, 2018, has recommended the need to have a standardised definition of out of school children. Centre and State Governments have also resolved to launch ‘Operation Digital Board’. The meeting was attended by 22 Education Ministers of various states of India.
- Name the states which were opted out of the Central Government’s Transformation of Aspirational Districts scheme?
1. Punjab, Kerala and Gujarat
2. Goa, Karnataka and Odisha
3. West Bengal, Kerala and Odisha
4. Telangana, Kerala and Tamil Nadu
5. Haryana, Kerala and MeghalayaAnswer – 3. West Bengal, Kerala and Odisha
West Bengal, Kerala and Odisha have opted out of the Central Government’s Transformation of Aspirational Districts scheme. In context of this scheme, aspirational districts refer to selected 115 backward districts that are lagging on specific development parameters. Central Government has undertaken a major policy initiative for rapid transformation of these districts and senior government officials have been assigned responsibility to coordinate the efforts of the Centre and states in facilitating development in such districts. With the exit of West Bengal, Kerala and Odisha, total number of districts under this scheme has now reduced to 102 from 115.It is to be noted that at the ‘Transformation of Aspirational Districts’ conference, held in New Delhi in first week of January 2018, NITI Aayog said it will come out with a ranking of 115 aspirational districts by April 2018.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the commencement of the work of an oil refinery in Rajasthan’s Barmer district. What are the developments this Project is expected to bring to the state?
1. Infrastructure development
2. Improvement of healthcare services
3. Establishment of reputed education institutions in Western Rajasthan
4. All the above
5. 1 & 2 onlyAnswer – 4. All the above
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the commencement of the work of an oil refinery in Rajasthan’s Barmer district. Foundation stone for this refinery was laid by the then Congress President Sonia Gandhi on September 22, 2013. It is the first such refinery in entire Rajasthan. It is being set up by HPCL-Rajasthan Refinery Ltd (HRRL). HRRL is a Joint Venture between Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd and Rajasthan State Government. The entire project entails an investment worth over Rs 43000 crore. Barmer Refinery and Petrochemicals Project of HRRL is expected to bring about infrastructure development, improvement of healthcare services and establishment of reputed education institutions in Western Rajasthan.
- Bar Council of India (BCI) had formed a delegation with how many members, to meet the honourable judges of the Supreme Court and bridge their differences with the incumbent Chief Justice of India (CJI), Dipak Misra?
1. 7 members
2. 8 members
3. 6 members
4. 9 members
5. 5 membersAnswer – 1. 7 members
Bar Council of India (BCI) has announced that it has formed a seven-member delegation that will meet honourable judges of the Supreme Court and will try to bridge their differences with the incumbent Chief Justice of India (CJI), Dipak Misra. On January 12, 2018, the four senior most judges of Supreme Court – Justices Chelameswar, Madan B Lokur, Ranjan Gogoi and Kurian Joseph had called a press conference and alleged that CJI Dipak Misra has been arbitrarily assigning important cases to benches headed by junior SC judges, ignoring senior ones. It was stated that they were forced to hold the press conference as a letter they had sent to the CJI two months ago pointing out mistakes had gone unanswered.Justice Kurian Joseph, has stated that their difference with CJI will not lead to constitutional crisis in Supreme Court, rather these are only problems in procedure which they had objected to.
- Which State Government announced ‘Mukshyamantri Kalakar Sahayata Jojana’ (MMKSJ), under which artists from across the state will get a monthly assistance of Rs 1200?
5. OdishaAnswer – 5. Odisha
Odisha State Government announced ‘Mukshyamantri Kalakar Sahayata Jojana’ (MMKSJ), under which artists from across the state will get a monthly assistance of Rs 1200. This scheme of giving Rs 1200 per month as artist assistance was announced by Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik. Around 50000 artists across Odisha will be benefited from this scheme. Odisha state government has also changed the eligibility criteria as compared to the previous artist assistance scheme, under which only 4000 artists were being given Rs 1000 per month. As per the new eligibility criteria, a male artist can avail assistance under the scheme after attaining the age of 50 years (earlier it was 60 years), while the age criteria for female artist has been reduced to 40 years from 50 years earlier.
- Jammu and Kashmir government signed a MoU to create normalcy in Jammu & Kashmir by means of education reforms. The MoU is named as _______________________?
1. Elementary Education Transformation Roadmap
2. Secondary Education Transformation Roadmap
3. School Education Transformation Roadmap
4. School Education and Strenthening Roadmap
5. Secondary Education and Liberation RoadmapAnswer – 3. School Education Transformation Roadmap
Jammu and Kashmir government signed a MoU to create normalcy in Jammu & Kashmir by means of education reforms. The MoU is named, ‘School Education Transformation Roadmap’. It was signed by Jammu & Kashmir’s Department of School Education and Union Minister of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Prakash Javadekar.This MoU will facilitate nearly 9,000 Jammu & Kashmir students to take part in an exchange programme. Also, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and digital platforms will be established in Jamm & Kashmir schools. Jammu and Kashmir’s potential school system to provide quality education to children was assessed and a roadmap was prepared by the Centre and Jammu & Kashmir government. This roadmap will be implemented in 3 years.
- Among Bangladesh, India, Bhutan and Nepal, which country/countries didn’t agree upon the operating procedures for trans-border movement of passenger vehicles under Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) motor vehicles agreement?
5. Nepal & BhutanAnswer -3. Bhutan
Bangladesh, India and Nepal agreed upon operating procedures for trans-border movement of passenger vehicles under Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) motor vehicles agreement. BBIN motor vehicles agreement (MVA), aimed to facilitate seamless flow of passenger and cargo traffic in the sub-region was signed by the transport ministers of the BBIN countries in Thimphu, Bhutan on 15 June 2015. However Bhutan did not ratify the same. Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has stated that Bangladesh, India and Nepal have agreed on the text of the operating procedures for passenger vehicle movement under the BBIN MVA and will soon complete the internal approval processes for signing of the passenger protocol. Earlier, trial runs for cargo vehicles were conducted along the Kolkata-Dhaka-Agartala and Delhi-Kolkata- Dhaka routes. The Ministry also mentioned that participating countries have agreed to conduct more trial runs for cargo vehicles.
- Which country lifted the restrictions on the use of Internet, including the messaging app Telegram across the country?
4. North Korea
5. IranAnswer – 5. Iran
Iranian government lifted restrictions on the use of the Internet, including the messaging app Telegram across the country. In December 2017, protests against unemployment and rising consumer prices erupted in several parts of Iran. At least 22 people were killed and 1000 people were arrested during these protests. Iran imposed restrictions on internet and had shut down social networking platforms such as Instagram and Telegraph, citing the reason that protesters were using it to spread unrest. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has admitted that the restrictions on internet are having a serious impact on the country’s economy.
- India attended a meeting of international military cooperation departments of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) for the first time. This meeting was hosted in which city of China?
5. AnshanAnswer – 2. Beijing
India attended a meeting of the international military cooperation departments of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) for the first time, in Beijing, China. India joined Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in 2017. The Indian delegation was led by Major General Ajay Seth. Main issues discussed were related to practical cooperation among SCO countries. India and China consider SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) as an important platform to enhance bilateral ties.
- Who was appointed the new Chief of Staff of the Western Naval Command?
1. Vice Admiral Anil Chopra
2. Vice Admiral Sanjeev Bhasin
3. Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh
4. Vice Admiral Girish Luhtra
5. Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur SinghAnswer – 5. Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh
Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, AVSM, VSM took charge as Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command. Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh replaces Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh as Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command. Earlier, Vice Admiral AB Singh was the Deputy Commander-in-Chief, Strategic Forces Command. He is a specialist in Navigation and Aircraft Direction. He has commanded IN Ships Veer (Missile Vessel), Vindhyagiri (Frigate), Trishul (Guided Missile Frigate) and Viraat (Aircraft Carrier). He was honoured with VishishtSeva Medal in 2011 and AtiVishishtSeva Medal in 2016.
- Name the Romanian Prime Minister who resigned after his party (Social Democratic Party) withdrew its support?
1. Steve Austin
2. Mihai Tudose
3. Gheorghe Mihaela
4. Ion Constantin
5. Alexandru ChristinAnswer – 2. Mihai Tudose
Romanian Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned after his party (Social Democratic Party) withdrew its support. A vote was conducted in the executive committee meeting of Social Democratic Party (PSD) and Mihai Tudose failed to secure majority of the votes. Following this, the Social Democratic Party withdrew its support for Mihai Tudose. Mihai Tudose has resigned six months after he took charge as Romanian Prime Minister. The Social Democratic Party (PSD) announced that Romania’s development minister Paul Stanescu will act as interim prime minister.
- Name the Professional Wrestler, who is the first to be listed in the WWE’s 2018 Hall of Fame class?
2. Mikey Whipwreck
3. Stan Stasiak
4. George Steele
5. Nikolai VolkoffAnswer – 1. Goldberg
WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) announced that Goldberg will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame class at a ceremony in 6th April 2018, in New Orleans. Goldberg retired from in-ring competition in 2017. He is the first to be listed in the WWE’s 2018 Hall of Fame class. He is 51 years old. He made his debut in WWE in 2003. Earlier, he was associated with the World Championship Wrestling (WCW).
- What are the Mascots of Khelo India School Games, which was launched in Delhi?
1. Manfred the elephant
2.Vijay the tiger
3.Jaya the black buck
4. 1 & 2
5. 2 & 3Answer – 5. 2 & 3
Union Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore launched the official anthem and mascot of Khelo India School Games in Delhi. Mascots of Khelo India School Games are ‘Vijay the tiger’ and ‘Jaya the black buck’. “Aurkhelnachahtehain hum……” the official anthem of Khelo India School Games features several eminent sports personalities of India such as Sardar Singh, Devendra Jhajharia, BaichungBhutia, Leander Paes, Pullela Gopichand, Mary Kom, Sakshi Malik and SainaNehwal. The inaugural Khelo India School Games under the revamped Khelo India Programme will begin on January 31, 2018. Khelo India School Games is being held in collaboration with the School Games Federation of India and National Sports Federation.
- NK Trikha passed away recently. Who is she?
5. PoliticianAnswer – 3. Journalist
Journalist NK Trikha passed away at All India Institute of Medical Sciences following a long-time illness. NK Trikha was 82 years old. He had been suffering from blood cancer and had undergone an open heart surgery in 2017. He is survived by his wife, two sons and a grandson. He had worked with the newspaper Navbharat Times. He was also the editor of Navbharat Times’ Lucknow edition. He was also a member of the Press Council of India. He also served as the president of the National Union of Journalists (India) two times.
- To which Profession Narayan Sadashiv Pharande belonged to?
5. SportsmanAnswer – 2. Politician
Narayan Sadashiv Pharande, senior BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) leader and former MLC, died following a cardiac arrest at MJM Hospital, in Pune, Maharashtra. Narayan Sadashiv Pharande was 78 years old. He was admitted to MJM Hospital several days back after he suffered from intra-cranial bleeding and paralysis. He is survived by his wife and two daughters. He was the chairman of the Maharashtra Legislative Council from 1998 to 2004. He was also the BJP state president from 1991 to 1995.
- Which state government celebrated the Opinion Poll Day as Asmitai Dis (Identity Day)?
4. Arunachal Pradesh
5. SikkimAnswer – 2. Goa
Goa celebrated the Opinion Poll Day as Asmitai Dis (Identity Day).16th January is celebrated as Opion Poll Day to mark the historic poll in 1967 in which people of Goa voted not to merge with Maharashtra. Recently Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar announced that 16th January will be celebrated as ‘Asmitai Dis’. Goa Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) celebrated the 51st Opinion Poll Day at North Goa District Office in Mapusa, Goa. The Goa Forward Party held a public meeting at Lohiamaidan, Margao, Goa.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the current Governor of Odisha?S.C. Jamir
- Baglihar Dam and Uri Dam are in which state?Jammu & Kashmir
- What is the capital of Iran?Tehran; Currency – Rial
- What is the tagline of Bank of Baroda?India’s International Bank
- Banganga River originates from?Bairath hills in Jaipur