AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 15 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where is the Hunar Haat Exhibition aimed at “Development with Dignity” of artisans and craftsman from the minority community organized from 12th to 20th January 2019?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On 13th January 2019, The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate affairs, Shri Arun Jaitley and Union Minister of Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi inaugurated the Hunar Haat Exhibition at State Emporia Complex in New Delhi. The Hunar Haat exhibition will be organized from 12th January 2019 to 20th January 2019. Hunar Haat aim at “ Development with Dignity” of the artisans and craftsman from the minority community. Hunar Haat is important for the national and international branding of the heritage of master artisans.
- Government e Marketplace [GeM] under which union ministry launched “Womaniya on GeM” initiative to enable women entrepreneurs to sell handicrafts, handloom, accessories, etc. directly to various Government ministries, departments and institutions?
1) Ministry of MSME (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises)
2) Ministry of Home Affairs
3) Ministry of Commerce
4) Ministry of Finance
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ministry of Commerce
On January 14, 2019, the Commerce Ministry announced that the Government e Marketplace [GeM] launched “Womaniya on GeM” initiative to enable women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups [WSHGs] to sell handicrafts and handloom, accessories, etc. directly to various Government ministries, departments and institutions. A 3-minute video highlighting benefits of the Womaniya initiative was launched by
• CEO GeM, S Radha Chauhan, whereby she explained the following:
• nearly 80 percent women-owned establishments are self-financed,
• more than 60 percent of 8 million units are owned and/or led by women entrepreneurs from socially-challenged sections of the society,
• empowering the women entrepreneurs is a step in the direction of poverty alleviation.
- Which state government became the first to implement 10 % quota for Economically Weaker sections of general category in educational institutions and government jobs with effect from January 14, 2019?
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gujarat
Gujarat became the 1st state to implement 10% quota to EWS (Economically Weaker sections). Gujarat Government announced to implement 10 per cent quota for Economically Weaker sections of general category in educational institutions and government jobs for general category poor candidates. This quota will be implemented for every job offers or admission process that is to start from January 14, 2019. The Centre had taken the decision under Article 46 of Guiding Principles of Constitution of India .This move by the Government is considered to be the historic move.
- Madras High Court formed an expert committee to suggest ways and means to remove the invasive species of the plants from ______ and rehabilitate the forests?
1) Eastern Ghats
2) Western Ghats
3) Sahyadri Range
4) Aravalli Range
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Western Ghats
On 12th January 2019, The Madras High Court formed an expert committee to suggest ways and means to remove the invasive species of the plants from the Western Ghats and rehabilitate the forests. The invasive species of plants are the second largest cause of loss of biodiversity in the world. The Expert committee has to find a solution and file the report within two months. The Division bench of Justice M M Sundaresh and N Sathish has already constituted a committee to restrain the state government from cultivating eucalyptus species in Tamil Nadu for commercial purpose.
- Where was India’s largest startup ecosystem measuring 1.8 lakh sq ft. inaugurated on 13th January 2019?
1) Pune, Maharashtra
2) Hyderabad, Telangana
3) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
4) Kochi, Kerala
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Kochi, Kerala
On January 13, 2019, Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched country’s largest startup ecosystem, integrated startup complex under the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM), at the Technology Innovation Zone (TIZ), in Kochi, Kerala. It is a 1.8 lakh sq ft. facility housing incubation infrastructure across a series of sectors in technology. It will have the following under it:
• facilities of Maker Village that promotes hardware startups,
• the Bionest that promotes medical technologies,
• BRINC, the country’s first international accelerator for hardware startups;
• BRIC which aids developing solutions for cancer diagnosis and care, and
• a centre of excellence set up by industry majors such as UNITY.
- Union Government re-promulgated _____ ordinance that aims to amend the companies law to further improve the ease of doing business and ensure better compliance levels, on 12th January 2019?
1) Companies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019
2) Business laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018
3) Company Rules (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019
4) Corporate laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Companies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019
On 12th January 2019, the Union Government has re-promulgated the Companies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019 which aims to amend the companies law to further improve the ease of doing business as well as ensure better compliance levels. The government had first issued the ordinance in November but it would have ceased to be operational from January 21. The Lok Sabha has already passed the bill on 4th January 2019, but it is still pending in the Rajya Sabha so the government has to re-promulgate ordinance to make amendments to the Companies Act, 2013. The ordinance that has amended 16 sections of the Act, are aimed at reducing the burden of case load on special courts by over 60 per cent, bringing down applicable penalties for small companies and enhancing the jurisdiction of Regional Director for compounding offences. Now the jurisdiction of 16 types of corporate offences would be shifted from the special courts to in-house adjudication thus enhancing the scope of in-house adjudication from 18 sections at present to 34 Sections of the Act.
- Which union ministry has drafted a 5-year action plan named National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction 2018 -2023 (NAPDDR) aimed to employ a multi-pronged strategy to address the problem of drug and substance abuse in India?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Women and Child Development
3) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
4) Ministry of Law and Justice
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has drafted a five-year action plan called the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (2018 -2023) NAPDDR which aims to employ a multi-pronged strategy to address the problem of drug and substance abuse in the country. The action plan involves preventive education, awareness generation, counselling, treatment and rehabilitation of drug-dependent people, besides training and capacity-building of service providers through collaborative efforts of the Centre, state and NGOs. For monitoring the effective implementation of the NAPDDR, a steering committee would be constituted under the chairmanship of the secretary, Social Justice Ministry, and with representatives from the Ministries of Health, Human Resource Development, Women and Child Development, Home Affairs, Skill development and Entrepreneurship.
- Where did Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurate the 4th International Kite Festival and 2nd International Sweet Festival on 13th January 2019?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Hyderabad
On January 13, 2019, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 4th International Kite Festival and 2nd International Sweet Festival in Hyderabad, Telangana. It was organised by the Department of Tourism, Government of Telangana and the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, as a part of Sankranthi celebrations, at the Parade Grounds in Secunderabad. This year’s theme for Telangana International Kite Festival was for empowerment of the girl child: ‘Educate girl child and she will save the world’. As many as 42 professional kite flyers from abroad and 60 from India are participating in the Kite Festival and it witnessed participation of nearly 100 enthusiasts of kite flying from 19 different countries including India. Moreover, sweets from 20 countries and from 25 Indian states were displayed at the Sweet Festival.
- The production, sale and use of single-use plastic products will be banned in the Union Territory of Puducherry from ____?
1) March 1, 2019
2) February 1, 2020
3) September 1, 2019
4) January 1, 2020
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) March 1, 2019
On January 13, 2019, Chief Minister V Narayanasamy announced that production, sale and use of single-use plastic products will be banned in the Union Territory of Puducherry from March 1, 2019. He also announced the following decisions of the cabinet: to introduce ‘voluntary retirement scheme’ for the workers and staff of the century-old Anglo-French Textiles (AFT) mill and two other textile mills, named Bharathi and Swadeshi (run by Puducherry Textile corporation) in a phased manner in the next six months. one per cent quota of reservation would also be provided to the members of the ‘Irular, Villi and Vettaikaran’ communities under the Scheduled Tribes Category in education and employment opportunities. government-owned Pondicherry Industrial Promotion Development and Investment Corporation Limited (PIPDIC) and Distillery and Power Corporations would get benefits of Seventh Pay Commission.
- Union Minister Dr Harshvardhan launched “Kumbh Mela Weather Service” mobile application and special weather services on 14th January 2019, for the benefit of people participating in Kumbh Mela held in which city?
1) Udaipur, Rajasthan
2) Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh
3) Rajkot, Gujarat
4) Haridwar, Uttarakhand
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh
On 14th January 2019, Union Minister of Science and Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment and Forests and Climate Change, Dr Harshvardhan launched the special weather services for the benefit of people visiting Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh, during Kumbh Mela at a function in New Delhi. The service will provide information of the prevailing weather and forecasts for next 3 days through four Automatic Weather stations (AWS) and a mobile van AWS that have been installed and operationalized at different locations at Prayagraj. The observational sites are distributed in all four directions within 5-10 km radius. It will be helpful for the local and state authorities by providing the real-time location specific weather information for efficient management of the entire event and also benefit the pilgrims by keeping them abreast of the latest weather information. Besides a mobile application named “Kumbh Mela Weather Service” was also launched to inform about the live weather information (temperature, humidity, rainfall and winds) and warnings if any for Prayagraj for next 3 days as observed in all the AWS sites.
- Macedonia was renamed as _____ on 11th January 2019, on a mutual agreement with Greece to put an end to a 27-year rivalry?
1) Republic of North Macedonia
2) Democratic Republic of Macedonia
3) Republic of South Macedonia
4) Democratic Republic of West Macedonia
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Republic of North Macedonia
On January 11, 2019,Macedonia’s parliament passed an amendment to the constitution to rename the country as Republic of North Macedonia,on a mutual agreement with Greece to put an end to a 27-year rivalry.The agreement was reached between Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras and his Macedonian counterpart Zoran Zaev.The language of the country would be referred to as Macedonian and its people known as Macedonians. The use of the name “Macedonia” is disputed between the southeastern European countries of Greece and the Republic of Macedonia, formerly a state within Yugoslavia. In the parliment of 120 seat only 80 voted in favour of renaming the country that is renaming amendment is passed with 2/3 of majority supporting it. This major step opened their door toward European Union and Nato organisation.
- Where was the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue held on 12th and 13th January 2019?
1) Mantilla, Philippines
2) Dhaka, Bangladesh
3) New Delhi, India
4) Samarkand, Uzbekistan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Samarkand, Uzbekistan
On 12th January 2019, External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue which was held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. The dialogue concluded on 13th January 2019. The Dialogue is expected to strengthen India’s engagement with all the Central Asian nations. The Dialogue between India and the Central Asian Countries including Afghanistan will enhance cooperation in wide-ranging spheres including exploring ways to substantially enhance India’s economic involvement in business and development sector of central Asia.
- India and the five other Central Asian countries backed an inclusive peace process in which country, at the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue held on 12th and 13th January 2019?
4) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Afghanistan
On 12th January 2019, Foreign Minister, Sushma Swaraj left for a two-day visit to Uzbekistan to attend the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue which was held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. On 12th January 2019, External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue which was held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. The dialogue concluded on 13th January 2019. On 13rd January 2019, India and the five other Central Asian countries backed an inclusive peace process in Afghanistan that would be Afghan-owned and Afghan-led in the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue. A Joint statement issued by the India and the Central Asian countries condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations at the end of the dialogue. Indian Foreign Minister reiterated India’s commitment to the economic reconstruction of the war-torn Afghanistan.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has raised a red-flag that bad loans under PMMY (Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana) launched in 2015, have risen to _____ rupees?
1) Rs 11,000 crore
2) Rs 13,000 crore
3) Rs 24,000 crore
4) Rs 20,000 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 11,000 crore
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has raised a red-flag on the spike in non-performing assets (NPAs) under the government’s flagship scheme to support micro enterprises in the country — the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana. According to Finance Ministry sources, RBI has cautioned the ministry that the scheme might turn-out to be the next big source of NPAs, which have plagued the banking system. The central bank has flagged that bad loans under PMMY have risen to Rs 11,000 crore. As per the annual report of PMMY, 2017-18, total disbursements under the scheme stood at Rs 2.46 trillion in FY 18. Out of this, 40 per cent were disbursed to women entrepreneurs and 33 per cent to social categories. More than 4.81 crore micro borrowers have benefited through PMMY during the year FY2017-18. The PMMY was launched on April 8, 2015.
- National Wildlife Board approved extraction of natural gas from Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary by ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited). Which state houses the Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tripura
On January 12, 2019, the National Wildlife Board after receiving recommendations from the state Wildlife Board, approved extraction of natural gas from Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary located in Tripura by state-owned ONGC Tripura Asset. Under the project, 10-12 gas bearing wells had been discovered by ONGC Tripura Asset for extraction of natural gas from Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary in Belonia subdivision of Gomati district, Tripura. The gas extracted from Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary would be transported to the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Ltd (NEEPCO) owned100 MW gas-based thermal power project at Monarchak in Sonamura subdivision of Sipahijala district. Also, Tripura unit of ONGC would provide Rs 25 crore to the state government for carrying out Swacch Bharat Abhiyan.
- Who received the first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential award, in New Delhi, on 14th January 2019?
1) President Ram Nath Kovind
2) Prime Minister Narendra Modi
3) Finance Minister Arun Jaitley
4) Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Prime Minister Narendra Modi
On January 14, 2019,The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, received the first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential award, in New Delhi. The Award focuses on the triple P’s of the Nation: People, Profit and Planet. It will be offered annually to the leader of a Nation. This award is given in remebarance of works and contribution done by Prof. Philip Kotler,who is a well-known in the field of Marketing. During his regime, India is identified as the Centre for Innovation and Value Added Manufacturing (Make in India), and a global hub for professional services such as Information Technology, Accounting and Finance.
- Name the former Chief Statistician of India who took oath as Member of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), on 14th January 2019?
1) Dr. T.C.A Anant
2) Dr. Ram Manohar
3) Jasjeet Kaur
4) Sharmila Chatterjee
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. T.C.A Anant
On January 14, 2019, Dr. T.C.A Anant, former Chief Statistician of India & Secretary, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, took the Oath of Office and Secrecy as Member, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) .Oath was administered by Shri Arvind Saxena, Chairman, UPSC. The commission has a strength of 10 members, besides a chairperson.Despite Anant’s appointment, the commission had one more vacancy .Former Delhi Police Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi, Prof. Pradeep Kumar Joshi, Air Marshal A S Bhonsle (retired), Sujata Mehta, Manoj Soni, Smita Nagaraj, M Sathiyavathy and Bharat Bhushan Vyas are members of the UPSC. A member of the UPSC have a maximum of six-year tenure or till an incumbent attains the age of 65.
- _____ took charge as Chief Credit Officer (CCO) of Axis Bank on 11th January 2019?
1) Deepak Maheshwari
2) Rakesh Mittal
3) Smirthi Kataria
4) Ram Charan Nair
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Deepak Maheshwari
On 11th January 2019, Deepak Maheshwari, the retired HDFC Bank executive and former Federal Bank board member took charge as chief credit officer (CCO) at Axis Bank as part of an ongoing reshuffle undertaken by new CEO Amitabh Chaudhry. The 64 years old Maheshwari will be given responsibility of corporate credit appraisal and disbursement at the Axis Bank. Maheshwari was also granted an exemption to take over as CCO by the board of Axis Bank as he is now 64 which is above the bank’s retirement age of 60. The appointment of Maheshwari is an attempt by the CEO Amitabh Chaudhry to tighten the Axis Bank’s credit appraisal process and follow HDFC Bank’s model in the Axis Bank.
- Name the road safety robot introduced by Chennai Traffic Police on 14th January 2019 to help in traffic management and assist citizens?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) ROADEO
On January 14, 2019, the Chennai Traffic Police introduced a road safety robot named ROADEO, to help in traffic management and assist citizens. With this, Chennai became the second city after Mumbai to induct robots in traffic management. The robots would be integrated with traffic signals and could be managed manually via Bluetooth devices. The robot has been developed by schoolchildren of a private robotics lab.
- Who set a world record in indoor rowing by completing 1,00,000 (one lakh) metres in 10hours, in above-40 years category, at Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, on 13th January 2019?
1) Rameez Shah
2) Shakil Ahmed
3) Pramod Karmakar
4) Ritesh Sharma
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Shakil Ahmed
On January 13, 2019, Asian Cup gold medallist Shakil Ahmed set a world record in indoor rowing by completing 1,00,000 (one lakh) metres in 10hours, in above-40 years category, at Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata. He also has the record of completing 50,000 metres of simulated rowing in four hours and 13 minutes which is already in the Limca Record Book.
- Name the Pakistan cricketer who set a world record to become the wicket-keeper captain with the most number of catches in a match, on 14th January 2019?
1) Sarfaraz Ahmed
2) Mohammed Amir
3) Shoaib Malik
4) Mohammed Hafeez
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sarfaraz Ahmed
On January 14, 2019, Pakistan skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed set a world record to become the wicket-keeper captain with the most number of catches in a match. This was achieved by him while playing a match against South Africa in the Third Test at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg. In the match, he took five catches in the first innings and repeated the feat in the second innings to go past Australia’s Adam Gilchrist and India’s MS Dhoni.
- Which team won the Premier Badminton League (PBL) 2019 that concluded in Bengaluru on 13th January 2019, to win their maiden title?
1) Bengaluru Raptors
2) Mumbai Rockets
3) Hyderabad Hunters
4) Chennai Smashers
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bengaluru Raptors
On 13th January 2019, the Bengaluru Raptors beat Mumbai Rockets by 4-3 in the final of the Premier Badminton League (PBL) 2019 at the Kanteerava Indoor Stadium in Bengaluru to win their maiden title. Kidambi Srikanth, Vu Ji Trang and the Men’s Doubles pair of Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Satiawan won their matches for Bengaluru guiding them to victory. Bengaluru Raptors have become the fifth team after Chennai Smashers, Delhi Dashers, Hyderabad Hotshots and Hyderabad Hunters to win the title. This was the fourth season of the Premier Badminton League (PBL) in which a total of 9 franchises played for the title. The winner team, Bengaluru Raptors got INR 3 crores and the Mumbai team got INR 1.5 crores as the runners-up. Besides the total prize money for this season was INR 6 crores. The teams which finished in the third and fourth places, i.e., Hyderabad Hunters and Awadhe Warriors were awarded INR 75 lakhs each.
- Rajesh Ghodge passed away on 13th January 2019. He was a _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Cricketer
On January 13, 2019, Former Goa Ranji cricketer Rajesh Ghodge passed away at 47 while playing at the Margao Cricket Club tournament. Ghodge was part of the Goa Ranji squad in 1999-2000.
- Mohammed Zulfiqaruddin passed away in Hyderabad on 13th January 2019. He was associated with which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Football
On January 13, 2019, Former India and 1956 Olympian footballer, Mohammed Zulfiqaruddin, passed away at 83 in Hyderabad. He also represented India in the 1958 Tokyo Asian Games and the Merdeka Cup in Malaysia. He was the captain of Andhra Pradesh in the Santosh Trophy from 1955 to 1967. He also captained AP Police team from 1954 to 1967 and won IFA Shield, Durand Cup and Rovers Cup tournaments.
- When was the Armed Forces Veterans Day observed in India to commemorate the memory of first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Field Marshal K M Cariappa becoming a veteran in 1953?
1) January 14
2) January 12
3) January 13
4) January 15
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) January 14
On January 14, 2019,The Armed Force is celebrated the Veterans Day to honour the legends of the Army, Navy and Air Force. The main celebration in Delhi will take place at the New Delhi. Minister of State(Defence) Dr Subhash Bhambre inaugurated the main event. This Day is commemorated in the memory of first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Field Marshal K M Cariappa becoming a veteran in 1953. To mark the occasion, veteran rallies will be held country wide at Armed Forces stations. Defence Minster Nirmala Sitharaman along with former Army chief General Shankar Roy Chowdhury, Air Chief Marshal (retd) Arup Raha,Lieutenant General Abhay Krishna, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Eastern Command paid homage to those who made supreme sacrifice in the line of duty. The main motive behind this celebration is to honour the ex-servicemen and resolve the problems faced by them after their retirement.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the CEO of GeM (Government e Marketplace)?Answer – S Radha Chauhan
- Where is Campbell Bay National Park located?Answer – Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- The Prime Minister of Greece is _____?Answer – Alexis Tsipras
- What is the tag line of Axis Bank?Answer – Badhti Ka naam Zindagi
- Name the acting chairman of UPSC (Union Public Service Commission)?Answer – Arvind Saxena