AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 10 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- What is the Major Amendment made in FDI Policy?
1. 100% FDI under automatic route
2. Foreign airlines have been permitted to invest up to 49% under approval route in Air India
3. Real-estate broking service is made eligible for 100% FDI under automatic route
4. Foreign institutional Investors (FIIs) and Foreign portfolio investment(FPIs) have been allowed to invest in Power Exchanges through primary market
5. All the above
Answer – 5. All the above
In a bid to liberalise and simplify the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) policy and to provide ease of doing business in India, Union Cabinet has approved a number of amendments in the existing policy.100% FDI under automatic route has been approved for Single Brand Retail Trading. Till now, only 49% FDI was permitted under automatic route while FDI beyond 49% and up to 100% was to be brought through Government approval route. Foreign airlines have been permitted to invest up to 49% under approval route in Air India.It has been clarified that real-estate broking service does not amount to real estate business and is thus, eligible for 100% FDI under automatic route. Foreign institutional Investors (FIIs) and Foreign portfolio investment(FPIs) have been allowed to invest in Power Exchanges through primary market
- India, with which country held the first bilateral security dialogue in the field of security and counter-terrorism?
2. South Sudan
3. North Korea
Answer – 4. Indonesia
India and Indonesia held their first bilateral security dialogue in NewDelhi. During the dialogue, India and Indonesia agreed on operational cooperation in security and counter-terrorism. Indian side was led by National Security Adviser AjitDoval while Indonesian side was led by H Wiranto, Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs. At the 5th Indonesia-India joint commission meeting in Jakarta, held in first week of January 2018 during Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj’s Indonesia visit, both countries had agreed to strengthen strategic partnerships across various key areas, including defence, security, maritime and economy.
- Supreme Court of India stayed which state’s High Court order to put an end to 85% pictorial warnings on packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products because they would infringe tobacco manufacturers’ fundamental right to do business?
Answer – 1. Karnataka
Supreme Court of India stayed a Karnataka High Court order quashing 85% pictorial warnings on packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products.On December 15, 2017, Karnataka High Court had struck down the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Amendment Rules, 2014 which mandated 85% pictorial warning on tobacco products packaging space.A Supreme Court bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud stated that it was “unimpressed” with the submissions of the Tobacco Institute of India (TII) asserting that the stay would infringe tobacco manufacturers’ fundamental right to do business.The bench is of the opinion that health of citizens should be accorded highest priority. In context of this news, it is to be noted that as per a report by World Health Organisation (WHO), pictorial warnings prove to be very effective especially in creating awareness among illiterate consumers.
- Union Home Ministry has appointed a 12-member inter-ministerial committee to recommend changes in the existing law of playing of the national anthem in cinemahalls and public places. This committee is headed by whom?
1. Aziz Mushabber Ahmadi
2. HarilalJekisundas Kania
3. Dipak Misra
5. B.R. Sharma
Answer – 5. B.R. SharmaExplanation :
Union Home Ministry has appointed a 12-member inter-ministerial committee to recommend changes in the existing law of playing of the national anthem in cinema halls and public places.The committee is headed by B.R. Sharma, Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Home Affairs. Other members of this committee include officers of the Joint Secretary rank representing Ministries of Home Affairs, Defence, Culture, External Affairs, Women and Child Development, Parliamentary Affairs, Human Resource Development, Law and Information and Broadcasting, Minority Affairs and the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. First meeting of this committee will be held on January 19, 2018 and it will submit its final report within six months.This committee has been formed in wake of Supreme Courts observation – ‘it could not be assumed that if a person did not stand up for the national anthem, he or she was “less patriotic.” The committee will make recommendations in context of existing Acts and orders relating to the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.
- From financial year 2018-19, Union Health Ministry will roll out a National Programme for Control of Viral Hepatitis, with a focus on __________ which primarily affects the liver?
1. Hepatitis A
2. Hepatitis B
3. Hepatitis C
4. Hepatitis D
5. Hepatitis E
Answer – 3. Hepatitis C
From financial year 2018-19, Union Health Ministry will roll out a National Programme for Control of Viral Hepatitis, with a focus on Hepatitis C. Under the programme, an anti-viral treatment for Hepatitis C will be provided free at all government health set-ups. Rs 600 crore for the next three years has been sanctioned for executing this programme. In India, about 1.2 crore people are reported to be suffering from Hepatitis C. Union Health Ministry is considering to screen vulnerable groups, including drug users and people who underwent surgeries/ blood transfusion before 2002, as screening protocol at that time was not robust. Hepatitis C is an infectious disease caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). It primarily affects the liver.
- Which Indian State hosted the 3rd meeting of Council of Trade Development and Promotion 2018?
2. New Delhi
Answer – 2. New Delhi
The 3rd meeting of Council of Trade Development and Promotion was held at Vigyan Bhavan, in New Delhi. The 3rd Meeting of Council of Trade Development and Promotion was chaired by Suresh Prabhu, Union Minister for Commerce & Industry. Suresh Prabhu unveiled a study named “LEADS-Logistics Ease Across Different States”. This is the first ever sub-national logistics performance index. He also unveiled a compendium named the “State Exports Booklet”. This compendium is on the status of exports from the states in the past 10 years. He expressed the need for a new agricultural exports policy focussed on increasing exports of value-added agricultural products.
- Which state government has started to digitise 10,000 pages every day, in order to preserve administrative and historical records of its princely states?
3. Himachal Pradesh
5. Jammu & Kashmir
Answer – 4. Rajasthan
The Rajasthan government has started to digitise 10,000 pages every day, in order to preserve administrative and historical records of Rajputana’s princely states. This has been done in a move to protect old and fragile documents. This includes a dedicated startup policy and various e-governance measures.The online records will benefit research scholars, administrative departments of state government, judiciary and general public. Rajasthan State Archive consists of 30-40 crore administrative and historical records of 22 princely states. It has decided to digitise 3-4 crore documents that are considered to be important. Already around one crore documents have been digitised.
- The central government insisted people not to use national flag made of plastic, ahead of Republic Day celebrations, but to use flags made of _______ as per the Flag Code of India, 2002.
1. Hand Spun Cloth
2. Silk Khadi
5. Degradable Materials
Answer – 4. Paper
The central government insisted people not to use national flag made of plastic, ahead of Republic Day celebrations. An advisory from the Union Home Ministry has said that, since plastic flags are not biodegradable like paper flags, they do not decompose for a long time. Keeping in mind the proper disposal of national flag made of plastic, without affecting its dignity, the advisory has restricted the usage of plastic flags. The advisory has stated that on important national, cultural and sports events, only flags made of paper are to be used by public as per the Flag Code of India, 2002. These paper flags should not be discarded or thrown on the ground after the event. They should be disposed of, in private, without affecting the dignity of the flag.The government has insisted everyone to comply with the Flag Code of India and The Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.
- The UIDAI launched ‘Virtual ID’ to reduce privacy issues, which an Aadhaar-card holder can generate from UIDAI website. This Virtual ID will have how many digits?
Answer – 4. 16-digits
The UIDAI launched ‘Virtual ID’, which an Aadhaar-card holder can generate from UIDAI website.Virtual ID has been introduced to reduce privacy issues. This virtual ID that can be generated from UIDAI website can be used for purposes like SIM verification, instead of sharing the actual 12-digit biometric ID. The Virtual ID will be a random 16-digit number. Along with biometrics of the user, it will furnish limited details like name, address and photograph, required for verification to authorised agencies like mobile companies. Users can generate any number of Virtual IDs they want. The older ID gets automatically cancelled once a new ID is developed. UIDAI will accept Virtual ID from 1 March, 2018. From 1 June 2018 it will be made mandatory for all agencies that perform authentication to accept Virtual ID for verification. The virtual ID will be valid for a particular period of time, or till the user generates a new one.
- Which country will host the upcoming Winter Olympics 2018?
1. North Korea
4. South Korea
Answer – 4. South Korea
North Korea has agreed to conduct talks with South Korea to reduce military tensions, to send a delegation to the upcoming Winter Olympics 2018 in Pyeongchang, South Korea. This outcome has come after officials from North and South Korea met for the first time in more than 2 years in Panmunjom, North Korea.North Korea has decided to send a high-level delegation consisting of athletes, cheering squad, art troupe, visitors’ group, a Taekwondo demonstration team and press personnel for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
- According to the 2018 Global Economics Prospect released by the World Bank on January 9, 2018, Indian economy is projected to grow at _____ % in next 2 years?
Answer – 5. 7.5%
According to the 2018 Global Economics Prospect released by the World Bank on January 9, 2018, Indian economy is projected to grow at 7.3% in 2018 and 7.5% in next two years. In 2017, India economy is estimated to have grown at 6.7 per cent despite lingering effects of demonetisation and teething problems related to implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST). Chinese economy grew at 6.8 per cent in 2017. For 2018, its growth rate is projected at 6.4 per cent. The report outlined that in the next decade, India will register higher growth rate as compared to other major emerging market economies.
- Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with which country for co-operation in automobile, defence and textiles sectors?
Answer – 1. South Korea
An official delegation from South Korea and the Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for co-operation between South Korea and industries in Gujarat.The MoU focuses on cooperation in automobile, defence and textiles sectors.Through this MoU, Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Gujarat will get an opportunity to form joint ventures with South Korean firms in the above stated sectors.Technological help from Korean companies will enhance the export competitiveness of Gujarat’s textile industry.
- As per Bloomberg’s Billionaire Tracker, who made a new record in terms of amount of wealth owned by a single person, with net worth of $105.1 Billion?
1. Bill Gates
2. Warren Buffett
3. Jeff Bezos
4. Amancio Ortega
5. Mark Zuckerberg
Answer – 3. Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO, made a new record in terms of amount of wealth owned by a single person, with net worth of $105.1 Billion, as per Bloomberg’s Billionaire Tracker. Jeff Bezos has become the richest person of all time. Earlier, this position was held by Bill Gates, Microsoft founder. Jeff Bezos had been declared as the world’s richest person twice earlier also. Jeff Bezos also owns the Washington Post and Blue Origin, apart from Amazon.Bill Gates’ current net worth is $91.9 billion according to Forbes and $93.3 billion as per Bloomberg. And he has secured second position in both of these lists.
- JK Tyre & Industries appointed whom, as the president of India Operations?
1. Larry Ellison
2. Rajiv Prasad
4. Shiv Nadar
5. Kumar Birla
Answer – 2. Rajiv Prasad
JK Tyre & Industries appointed Rajiv Prasad as president of India Operations. Rajiv Prasad has a vast experience in managing large businesses. His career spans over 30 years. JK Tyre Chairman and Managing Director Raghupati Singhania said that the appointment of Rajiv Prasad as President of JK Tyre India operations will enhance growth of the organisation.
- Nawab Sanaullah Zehri, recently resigned before a no-confidence motion was taken against him in the provincial assembly. He belonged to which province of Pakistan?
1. Azad Jammu & Kashmir
Answer – 5. Balochistan
Nawab Sanaullah Zehri, Chief Minister of Balochistan, resigned before a no-confidence motion was taken against him in the provincial assembly. Nawab Sanaullah Zehri’s resignation was accepted by Balochistan Governor Mohammad Khan Achakzai. Nawab Sanaullah Zehri has resigned after he was advised to do so by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, keeping in mind the no-confidence motion.It is said that, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi advised Nawab Sanaullah Zehri to resign in order to control the political situation in Balochistan. A political crisis started in Balochistan after no-confidence motion was initiated.
- Who took charge as the 13th Corps Commander of the Indian Army’s Rising Star Corps?
1. Lt Gen Ashok Ambre
2. Lt Gen AS Jamwal
3. Lt Gen Anil Bhalla
4. Lt Gen Gurpal Singh Sangha
5. Lt Gen Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan
Answer – 5. Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan
Lieutenant General Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan took charge as the 13th Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps. Lieutenant General Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan replaced Lt Gen S K Saini as Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps (9 corps). Lt. Gen. Y V K Mohan is a soldier of the 7th Battalion of the 11th Gorkha Rifles. He had commanded an Infantry Brigade in High-Altitude Area and a Mountain Division along the India-China border. He is a graduate of the Defence Service Staff College, Wellington and the Royal College of Defence Studies, London.
- Who has been appointed the New Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)?
4.Vallathol Narayana Menon
Answer – 2. Sunny Verghese
Sunny Verghese, Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman, has been appointed as the Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). Sunny Verghese is 57 years old. He is the Co-Founder and the CEO of Olam International Limited. Tenure of Sunny Verghese as chairman of WBCSD is 2 years. He has become the first World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Chairman from the agri-sector. He has replaced Paul Polman.
- Which Research Unit of India had launched the New Online Vendor Registration System to make systems and procedures digital and transparent?
1. CSIR-Central Building Research Institute
2. National Informatics Centre
3. Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
4. National Technical Research Organisation
5. Research Designs & Standards Organisation
Answer – 5. Research Designs & Standards Organisation
Research Designs & Standards Organisation (RDSO), Ministry of Railways’ research unit, has launched “New Online Vendor Registration System”. The New Online Vendor Registration System has been launched to make systems and procedures digital and transparent. This system is easy and user-friendly. Vendors need not visit RDSO office for any activity related to his case for registration, they can do it online. This system has been developed after Piyush Goyal, Minister for Railways and Coal performed comprehensive review of the functioning of the RDSO.
- Who was appointed by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA)as the Chef De Mission for the 23rd Winter Olympic Games to be held in Pyeongchang, in February 2018?
5.Narinder Dhruv Batra
Answer – 3. Harjinder Singh
The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) appointed Harjinder Singh as the Chef De Mission for the 23rd Winter Olympic Games to be held in Pyeongchang, in February 2018. Harjinder Singh is at present the General Secretary in the Ice Hockey Association of India. IOA President Narinder Dhruv Batra announced the appointment of Harjinder Singh as Chef De Mission for Winter Olympics Games 2018.
- Who is the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing, by winning a bronze medal in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup?
Answer – 5. Aanchal Thakur
India’s Aanchal Thakur became the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing, by winning a bronze medal in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup.Aanchal Thakur hails from Manali. She won a Bronze medal in the slalom race category at Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup.The Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup was organised by Federation International de Ski (FIS) at the Palandoken Ski Centre, in Erzurum in Turkey.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the currency of Indonesia?
Indonesia rupiah; Capital – Jakarta
- Who is the Chairman & MD of India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO)?
- Bisalpur Dam and Jakham Dam are in which state?
- Which is the National bird of United States?
- What is the Motto of 2018 Winter Olympics?
- The World Bank was formed in the year?
- What is the capital city of South Korea?
Seoul; Currency – South Korean won