AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 21 February 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Union Cabinet approved upgrading Gandhinagar based Bhaskaracharya Institute of Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG) as Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG(N)). The Institute will function under which ministry?
1) Ministry of Science and Technology
2) Ministry of Earth Sciences
3) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4) Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
5) Ministry of CommunicationsAnswer-4) Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
The union cabinet has approved the upgrading of Gandhinagar (Gujarat) based Bhaskaracharya Institute of Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG) as Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG(N)). It will function under Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MEITY), Government of India(GoI).
- The Union Cabinet allows signing the updated Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) between UK’s Financial Conduct Authority(FCA) and which Indian Institute (Feb 19, 2020)?
1) Reserve Bank of India
2) Securities & Exchange Board of India
3) National Institute of Finance Management
4) State Bank of India
5) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural DevelopmentAnswer-2) Securities & Exchange Board of India
The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of updated Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) agreement between Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and the UK’s (United Kingdom) Financial Conduct Authority(FCA).
- The cabinet has approved to raise the interest subvention given to farmers in the dairy sector from 2% to _______?
5) 2.75%Answer-2) 2.5%
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to increase the interest subvention on loans given to farmers in the dairy sector from 2% to 2.5 % under the scheme Dairy processing and Infrastructure Development Fund (DIDF)with the revised outlay of Rs 11184 Cr.
- To which sector cabinet has approved Rs. 4,458 crore fund on Feb 19, 2020?
1) Infrastructure sector
2) Telecom sector
3) Dairy sector
4) Healthcare sector
5) Education sectorAnswer-3) Dairy sector
The Union Cabinet has approved a Rs 4,458 crore scheme to encourage the dairy sector, which will benefit about 95 lakh farmers. This will add new dimensions to the milk revolution in the country.
- The Central government has renamed 4 railway stations of Prayagraj. The Prayagraj is a city in which Indian state?
1) Uttar Pradesh
5) PunjabAnswer-1) Uttar Pradesh
On February 21, 2020 Four railway stations in Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj will get new names, in order to recognise the identity of the ancient city. The names of the stations were changed by the State and Central Government. Allahabad Junction will now be Prayagraj Junction, Allahabad City will now be known as Prayagraj Rambag, Allahabad Chhioki has been changed to Prayagraj Chheoki & the name of Prayagghat to Prayagraj Sangam.
- The total outlay for Phase II of Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) between 2020-2021 to 2024-2025 approved by cabinet is Rs. __________?
1) 1,21,700 crore
2) 78, 256 crore
3) 52,497 crore
4) 1,40,881 crore
5) 98,517 croreAnswer-4) 1,40,881 crores
The Union Cabinet has approved the Phase II of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen), that will be implemented from 2020-21 to 2024-25 in a mission mode with a total outlay of Rs. 1,40,881 crores. Under this program, open defecation free (ODF) campaign will be continued with focus on ODF Plus and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM)will also be promoted.
- The Chairman of Railway Board announced the launch of a ‘Joint’ Masters Programme in Railway Systems Engineering and Integration in academic year 2020-2021 by the National Rail Transportation Institute (NRTI) with which University?
1) University of Birmingham
2) Stanford University
3) Harvard University
4) University of oxford
5) University of CambridgeAnswer-1) University of Birmingham
Shri Vinod Kumar Yadav, Chairman, Railway Board and Lord Karan Billimoria, Chancellor, University of Birmingham announced the launch of a Joint Masters programme in Railway Systems Engineering and Integration in academic year 2020-2021 by the National Rail Transportation Institute (NRTI). The MoU of the teaching program initiative was signed between the National Rail Transport Institute and University of Birmingham on December 18, 2019.
- The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Sunil Gurbaxani as MD & CEO of which Indian private sector bank?
1) Dhanlaxmi Bank
2) Lakshmi Vilas Bank
3) Nainital Bank
4) South Indian Bank
5) City Union BankAnswer-1) Dhanlaxmi Bank
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed Sunil Gurbaxani as MD (Managing Director) and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Dhanlaxmi Bank for a period of 3 years. Sunil was the successor of T.Latha.
- Leo Eric Varadkar recently (Feb 2020) resigned from the post of Prime Minister of Ireland. What is the capital & currency of Ireland?
1) Berlin & Euro
2) Dublin & Euro
3) Helsinki & Pound
4) Berlin & Pound
5) Dublin & PoundAnswer-2) Dublin & Euro
Irish Prime Minister Leo Eric Varadkar resigned due to the insufficiency of the majority after the parliamentary vote. He submitted his resignation to Irish President Micheal Daniel Higgins. Leo Varadkar served as ‘Taoiseach’ (means Prime Minister of Ireland) since June 2017. The Ireland’s capital – Dublin & currency – Euro.
- Name the person, who has been appointed as the president of Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra Trust (Feb 2020)?
1) Champant Rai
2) Govind Dev Giri
3) Mahant Nritya Gopal Das
5) Nripendra MisraAnswer-3) Mahant Nritya Gopal Das
Mahant Nritya Gopal Das is elected as the President and Champant Rai as General Secretary of the The Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra Trust in its meeting. The aim of the meeting is to speed up the construction of The Ram temple in Ayodhya. The trust was constituted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi government with 15-member based on supreme court’s judgement.
- Who has won the 21st edition of Ernst & Young (EY) Entrepreneur of the year award for 2019 held at New Delhi?
1) Siddhartha Lal
2) Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
3) Vijay Shekhar Sharma
4) Sachin Bansal
5) Shradha SharmaAnswer-2) Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Chairperson and Managing Director (MD) of Bengaluru based biopharmaceutical company Biocon, won Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the year 2019 (for her innovation & affordable lifesaving medicines), at the 21st edition of the awards held in New Delhi, India.
- In the 21st edition of Ernst & Young (EY) Entrepreneur awards 2019, who has been conferred with the lifetime achievement award?
1) Mukesh Ambani
2) Azim Premji
3) Ritesh Agarwal
4) Adi Godrej
5) Lakshmi MittalAnswer-4) Adi Godrej
Adi Godrej, Godrej Group Chairman was conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award in 21st edition of Ernst & Young (EY) Entrepreneur awards 2019.
Award Category Awardee EY Entrepreneur of the year Kiran-Mazumdar Shaw, Chairperson & MD, Biocon. Lifetime Achievement Adi Godrej, Chairman, Godrej Group. Start-up Falguni Nayar, founder & CEO, Nykaa E-retail. Transformational Impact Person of the Year Tuhin Parikh, senior managing director (Real Estate),, Blackstone India. Manufacturing Arun Bharat Ram, chairman, SRF Services Sridhar Vembu, founder and CEO, ZOHO Corporation Financial Services Yashish Dahiya, CEO & co-founder, Policy Bazaar. Consumer Products & Retail Berger Paints Chairman, Kuldip Singh Dhingra and Vice-Chairman Gurbachan Singh Dhingra. Life Sciences & Healthcare Arvind Lal, Chairman & MD Dr Lal PathLabs and CEO Om Manchanda of Dr Lal PathLabs. Entrepreneurial CEO K B S Anand, MD & CEO, Asian Paints. Energy, Real Estate & Infrastructure Ravi Raheeja & Neel Raheeja, group Presidents, K Raheja Corp
- Name the Sports person who has won the ‘sportsperson of the year (Male)’ award in ESPN annual awards 2019?
1) Rohit Sharma
2) Pankaj Advani
3) Viswanathan Anand
4) Saurabh Chaudhary
5) Amit PanghalAnswer-4) Saurabh Chaudhary
Entertainment and Sports Programming Network(ESPN) Multi-Sport Annual Awards 2019 announced Saurabh Chaudhary (Shooting) as ‘sportsperson of the year 2019 male’. Saurabh Chaudhary has won Gold medal in World Cup 2019. Received five world cup medals.
- Name the Sports person who has won the ‘sportsperson of the year (Female)’ award in ESPN annual awards 2019?
1) PV Sindhu
2) Dutee Chand
3) Koneru Humpy
4) Manasi Joshi
5) Manu BhakerAnswer-1) PV Sindhu
Entertainment and Sports Programming Network(ESPN)Multi-Sport Annual Awards 2019 announced PV Sindhu as ‘sportsperson of the year 2019 female’ award for the third consecutive time. Pv Sindhu (Badminton) won gold in world championship 2019. She is the first Indian to receive World Championship.
Award Category Winner’s Name Sport Name Lifetime Achievement Award Balbir Singh Senior Hockey Sportsperson of the Year(Female) PV Sindhu Badminton Sportsperson of the Year(Male) Saurabh Chaudhary Shooting Comeback of the year Koneru Humpy Chess Emerging Sportsperson of the Year Deepak Punia Wrestling Team of the Year Manu Bhaker – Saurabh Chaudhary Shooting Differently-abled Athlete of the year/Para Athlete of the Year Manasi Joshi Athlete Moment of the Year PV Sindhu Badminton The Courage Award Dutee Chand Spinter Coach of the Year Pullela Gopichand Badminton The Courage Award Dutee Chand Spinter Coach of the Year Pullela Gopichand Badminton
- Name the Indian, who has won AFP’s Kate Webb prize 2019 for his contribution in the field of journalism?
1) Ramnath Goenka
2) Ravish Kumar
3) Ahmer Khan
4) Asad Hashim
5) Kavitha RaoAnswer-3) Ahmer Khan
The 27-year old Indian freelance reporter Ahmer Khan was announced as the winner of the 2019 Kate Webb Prize by the Agence France-Presse, for his series of videos and written reports on how people in Kashmir impacted while scraping article 370 by the Government of India.
- To whom, the Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu presented the Ideal Legislative Assembly Speaker/ Ideal Legislative Council Chairman Award 2019?
1) Purushottam Das Tandon
2) P. Ramakrishnan
3) D. H. Shankaramurthy
4) Biman Banerjee
5) P. DhanapalAnswer-2) P. Ramakrishnan
Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu presented the Ideal Legislative Assembly Speaker/ Ideal Legislative Council Chairman Award 2019 to the Speaker of the Kerala Legislative Assembly Shri P. Ramakrishnan, during the inauguration of the 10th edition of the 4-day function “Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad” (Indian Student Parliament), from February 20 to 23,2020, held at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi, India.
- Which customer grievance portal of India has won Silver award under Category-II of National e-Governance Awards- “Excellence in providing Citizen-centric delivery” at the 23rd National Conference on e-Governance held at Mumbai (Feb 2020)?
5) Jan SoochnaAnswer-4) Railmadad
RaidMadad, the grievance redressal portal of Indian Railways, has been awarded Silver award under Category-II of National e-Governance Awards– “Excellence in providing Citizen-centric delivery” at the 23rd National Conference on e-Governance which was held at Mumbai on 7 & 8th February 2020.
- What is the World’s largest prize for sustainable food solutions (Created by New Curt Bergfors Foundation)?
1) Tasty food prize
2) Heathy food prize
3) Sustainable food prize
4) Organic food prize
5) Food Planet prizeAnswer-5) Food Planet prize
The New Curt Bergfors Foundation created the world’s largest prize for sustainable food solutions in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. The name of the prize is Food Planet Prize and it’s worth one million dollar.The jury prize will be chaired by Johan Rockstrom the director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Research. The prizes will be issued under two categories which are follows: – One prize for “an existing scalable solution for sustainable foods” and Second prize for “innovative initiatives that could transform the global food sector”.
- The 12-member ‘Technology Group’ formation proposal was approved by the cabinet on Feb 19, 2020. Who is the head of the ‘Technology Group’?
1) K. VijayRaghavan
2) Nripendra Misra
3) PK Sinha
4) Ajit Doval
5) Surajit DuttaAnswer-1) K. VijayRaghavan
The Union Cabinet has approved the formation of 12-member “Technology Group” headed by Principal Scientific Adviser to Government of India (GoI), Prof K. VijayRaghavan. The 3 key pillars of the work of this group will include support on policy, procurement and R&D (Research & Development) proposals. This technology group will give better suggestions about latest technologies to the Government.
- Name the Indian Institute which ranked top among Indian institutions in the Nature ranking Index 2020 (Based on total research output from December 01, 2018 to 30th November, 2019)?
1) Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT-B)
2) Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
3) Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER)
4) Indian Institute of science (IISC)
5) Council of Scientific and industrial Research(CSIR)Answer-5) Council of Scientific and industrial Research(CSIR)
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) ranked first in the Nature Ranking Index 2020. All the institutions are ranked on the basis of total research output from december 01, 2018 to 30th November, 2019.
Rank, Share & Count
Rank Institution Count (C) Share Percentage (SP) 1 Council of Scientific and industrial Research(CSIR) 142 87.74 2 Indian Institute of science (IISC) 211 83.61 3 Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) 232 62.18
- The SBI card joins with Landmark group to launch 3 new retail co-branded credit cards (namely Lifestyle Home Centre SBI Card, Max SBI Card and Spar SBI Card). Where is the Headquarters of SBI card located at?
1) Bengaluru, Karnataka
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
4) Gurgaon, Haryana
5) Kolkata, West BengalAnswer-4) Gurgaon, Haryana
SBI (State Bank of India) Cards & Payments Services Ltd (previously known as SBI Cards and Payment Services Private Limited), a payment solutions provider in India, has entered into the partnership with Landmark Group, one of the largest retail and hospitality organizations, to launch 3new retail co-branded credit cards namely Lifestyle Home Centre SBI Card, Max SBI Card and Spar SBI Card —with 4 Landmark Group brands – Lifestyle, Home Centre, Max and Spar. The Headquarters of SBI card located at Gurgaon, Haryana.
- Recently (Feb 2020) Scientists of Netherlands have discovered a new snail species. Who was the snail species named after?
1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Divina Maloum
3) Malala Yousafzai
4) Greta Thunberg
5) Donald TrumpAnswer-4) Greta Thunberg
A group of scientists with Naturalis Biodiversity Center, a research center on biodiversity based in Leiden, the Netherlands, have discovered a new species of land snail and named it “Craspedotropis gretathunbergae” in honour of the young Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg for her efforts to raise awareness about climate change.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the procurement of 24 Sikorsky MH-60R seahawk multi-role Helicopters worth $2.6 Billion from which country?
1) United States
2) United Kingdom
5) IranAnswer-1) United States
The Cabinet Committee on Security headed by the Prime Minister of India Shri. Narendra Modi has approved the acquisition of 24 Sikorsky MH (Maritime Helicopters)-60R(Romeo) seahawk multi-role Helicopters from The United States, worth of USD 2.6 billion (approximately Rs.1871 crores) for Indian Navy.
- The HRMS app was launched by Indian railways for its employees which was designed by CRIS (Centre for Railway Information System). The ‘R’ in HRMS denotes?
5) RedressalAnswer-1) Resource
Shri Vinod Kumar Yadav, Chairman, Railway Board, launched HRMS (Human Resource Management System) Mobile application (app) through which all employees of Indian Railways can view and access data related to their services. The app was designed and developed by CRIS (Centre for Railway Information System).
- Pragyan Ojha who announced retirement recently (Feb 2020) is related to which sports?
5) ShootingAnswer-4) Cricket
Left arm Indian spinner Pragyan Ojha tweeted about his retirement from all forms of cricket on twitter. The 33-year-old player has 16 years’ experience in professional cricket. He hailed from Bhubaneshwar, Odisha. He played 108 matches, scored 848 runs and took 424 wickets.
- The American computer scientist Larry Tesler who passed away in February 2020 is the inventor of which function/command of computer?
4) Print Document
5) Undo last actionAnswer-2) Cut-Copy-Paste
Lawrence Gordon Tesler known as Larry Tesler was an American computer scientist who worked in the field of human–computer interaction and also the Inventor of Copy-Cut-Paste functions for computers in 1973 has passed away at the age of 74.
- The International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is observed annually on February 21. The Theme of IMLD 2020 is?
1) Theme: ““Indigenous languages development”
2) Theme: “no discrimination on the basis of language”
3) Theme: “Towards Sustainable Futures through Multilingual Education”
4) Theme: “Languages without Borders”
5) Theme: “Quality education, language(s) of instruction and learning outcomes”Answer-4) Theme: “Languages without Borders”
International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is observed annually on February 21 since 2000 as a worldwide observance of UNESCO (United Nations, Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation). The day creates an awareness on linguistic, cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism and in India the day is observed as ‘Matribhasha Diwas’. Theme: “Languages without Border”.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the present president of South Sudan? Answer-Salva Kiir Mayardit
- The Jaffna International Airport is located in which country? Answer-Sri Lanka
India to sign Mou/agreement with Sri Lanka to develop the Jaffna’s Palaly airport (Feb 2020).
- Which is the 1st State/UT of India to run completely on renewable energy? Answer-Ladakh
In line with the Union government’s plan to make Ladakh the first union territory (UT) to run completely on renewable energy and reduce the heavy dependence of diesel in the area, the ministry of new and renewable energy is planning to run hydrogen fuel celled buses in Leh.
- Who is the Chairman of CSIR and Where is the Headquarters of CSIR located at? Answer-Chairman – Narendra Modi & HQ – New Delhi
- Where is the Headquarters of Dhanlaxmi Bank located at? Answer-Thrissur, Kerala
- Who is the head of 21st Law commission? Answer-Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan
[su_button url=”https://affairscloud.com/current-affairs/february-2020/” target=”self” style=”default” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″ wide=”no” center=”no” radius=”auto” icon=”” icon_color=”#FFFFFF” text_shadow=”none” desc=”” download=”” onclick=”” rel=”” title=”” id=”” class=””]Click Here to Try February Current Affairs 2020 Quiz[/su_button]