AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs February 2 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Name the Finance Minister who has presented the Union Budget for highest number of times.
1. K. Shanmukham Chetty
2. Morarji Desai
3. Yashwant Sinha
4. P Chidambaram
5. Manmohan SinghAnswer – 2. Morarji Desai
On February 1, 2018, Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley presented Union Budget 2018-19 in Parliament. Union Budget of India is referred to as the Annual Financial Statement in the Article 112 of the Constitution of India. Till 2016, it was presented on the last working day of February. In 2017, it was presented on February 1, so that it could be materialized before the commencement of new financial year in April. Union Finance Minister presents the Budget by means of the Finance bill and the Appropriation bill which comes into effect from April 1 (the start of India’s financial year), after being passed by both the Houses of Parliament. From 2017, Railway Budget was merged with General Budget. Till Date, Morarji Desai has presented Union Budget for highest number of times (10 times).
- Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley, in his Budget address on February 1, 2018, announced that government will build a tunnel through the Sela Pass. Where is this Sela Pass located?
1. Jammu & Kashmir
3. Himachal Pradesh
4. Arunachal Pradesh
5. PunjabAnswer – 4. Arunachal Pradesh
Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley, in his Budget address on February 1, 2018, announced that government will build a tunnel through the Sela Pass in Arunachal Pradesh. Sela pass is located at an elevation of 13700 ft between Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal Pradesh. From Defence perspective, these districts hold strategic significance as they are located near to India-China Border. In recent times, Indian Defence officials have raised concerns over China’s growing assertiveness along the nearly 4000 km-long India-China border. The tunnel will enable the movement of Indian troops in these sensitive areas and will check any unsolicited activities from Chinese side.
- In which state, the 32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela 2018 was inaugurated?
4. West Bengal
5. RajasthanAnswer – 3. Haryana
32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela began on February 2, 2018 in Surajkund, Haryana. It was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. This event provides a platform for the artists and craftsmen from across the world to showcase their countries’ rich diversity, cuisine and traditions. It has been organised by the Surajkund Mela Authority in collaboration with Haryana tourism department, Haryana tourism corporation and Union Ministries of Tourism, Textile, Culture and External Affairs. For this year’s edition, Uttar Pradesh (UP) has been chosen as theme state and will showcase religious tourism circuit in UP, such as Ayodhya, Mathura, Kashi. It will also showcase UP’s art, culture, and heritage of UP. This 16-day event will be attended by participants from more than 20 countries and all States/UTs of India.
- In which country, the world’s longest zip line, measuring 2.83 kilometres in length was opened at?
1. United Arab Emirates
5. JapanAnswer – 1. United Arab Emirates
World’s longest zip line, measuring 2.83 kilometres in length opened in Ras Al Khaimah, the smallest state of United Arab Emirates.This 2.83km zip line allows thrill seekers to jump from the peak of Jebel Jais, UAE’s highest mountain. It created a Guinness World Record for world’s longest zip line. Jebel Jais mountain in Ras Al Khaimah, is at an elevation of 1934 m. above sea level and is considered the highest point of the United Arab Emirates.
- India recently joined Ashgabat Agreement, a Multimodal transport agreement for setting up of an international transport and transit (of goods) corridor, linking Central Asia with the Persian Gulf. Who are the founding members of this agreement?
1. Turkmenistan, Iran
2. Oman, Uzbekistan
3. Iraq, Afghanistan
4. All the above
5. 1&2Answer – 5. 1&2
India formally joined Ashgabat Agreement, a Multimodal transport agreement for setting up of an international transport and transit (of goods) corridor, linking Central Asia with the Persian Gulf. Turkmenistan, Iran, Oman and Uzbekistan (together referred to as founding members) had signed this agreement in April 2011. India had deposited the instrument of accession with Turkmenistan (depository state of this agreement) in April 2016. All the founding members have consented to India’s accession. Being a part of this agreement will positively influence India’s trade and commercial ties in the region as it will provide more connectivity options with Central Asia.
- Government has made certain amendments in the Prevention of Money-laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA) through Finance Act 2018 in order to enhance its effectiveness and widen its scope. In this amendment which section was included as scheduled offence under PMLA?
1. Section 247 of Companies Act dealing with ‘money-laundering’
2. Section 347 of Companies Act dealing with ‘property’
3. Section 447 of Companies Act dealing with ‘crime’
4. Section 467 of Companies Act dealing with ‘offence’
5. Section 447 of Companies Act dealing with ‘fraud’Answer – 5. Section 447 of Companies Act dealing with ‘fraud’
Government has made following amendments in the Prevention of Money-laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA) through Finance Act 2018 in order to enhance its effectiveness and widen its scope. Definition of “proceeds of crime” has been amended to include “property equivalent held outside the country. Applicability of bail conditions has been made uniform to all the offences under PMLA. Section 447 of Companies Act dealing with ‘fraud’ is being included as scheduled offence under PMLA. 90 days more time has been given for investigation to Enforcement Directorate, before prosecution is filed. New sub-section is being introduced to provide clear guidelines to share the information relating to contraventions of other laws noticed during investigation. Special Court has been permitted to consider the claims of the claimants for the purposes of restoration of confiscated properties even during trial.
- Name the Shipyard which has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), Russia to collaborate and engage in Design, Development and Execution of contemporary, State-of-Art vessels for Inland and Coastal Waterways?
1. ABG Shipyard Limited, Mumbai
2. West Coast Shipyard Limited, Goa
3. Cochin Shipyard Limited, Cochin
4. Mandovi Drydocks Limited, Goa
5. Bengal Shipyard Limited, KolkataAnswer – 3. Cochin Shipyard Limited
Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), Russia to collaborate and engage in Design, Development and Execution of contemporary, State-of-Art vessels for Inland and Coastal Waterways. The MoU was signed by Madhu S Nair – Chairman & Managing Director, Cochin Shipyard Limited and Mr Alexey Rakhmanov – President, United Shipbuilding Corporation, in the presence of Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources – Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi. Under the MoU both entities will collaborate for development of High-Speed Vessels, Passenger Vessels, River-Sea Cargo Vessels, Dredgers and other watercrafts for inland waterways and coastal shipping. USC is the largest shipbuilding company in Russia incorporating about 40 enterprises including shipyards. It has 300 years of experience and has played an instrumental role in growth of inland waterways in Russia.
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) in partnership with which educational institution will set up a development centre for 5G technologies?
1. IIT, Delhi
2. IIM, Bangalore
3. IIT, Chennai
4. IIM, Ahmadabad
5. SRM UniversityAnswer – 3. IIT, Chennai
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, announced that, the Department of Telecom (DoT) in partnership with IIT, Chennai, will set up a development centre for 5G technologies. The development centre to be set up by Department of Telecom in collaboration with IIT, Chennai will work on the development of 5G technologies. 5G technology will help to provide applications like Internet of Things and Machine-to-Machine internet. A similar tie up had already been made between Ericsson and IIT Delhi. Under this tie up, a Center of Excellence for 5G will be established.
- Who was awarded the ‘Times Power Woman 2017′ award by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Special Assistance in the Government of Maharashtra, Dilip Kamble?
1. Shabnam Asthana
2. Therasa Mary
3. Abigail Johnson
4. Ana Patricia
5. Ginnie RomettyAnswer – 1. Shabnam Asthana
Dilip Kamble, Minister of State for Social Justice and Special Assistance in the Government of Maharashtra, presented the ‘Times Power Woman 2017′- Pune for Global PR award to Shabnam Asthana. The Times Group celebrated the Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards recently to honour the achievements of women who have also been sources of inspiration. These awards were presented to the women of Pune. 34 women with power, supremacy, command and control were awarded. The awardees have contributed for socio economic, art, health, education, fashion, scientific improvement, etc.
- Which state inaugurated the 2nd edition of ‘Nobel Prize Series India 2018’?
5. New DelhiAnswer – 4. Goa
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar inaugurated the 2nd edition of ‘Nobel Prize Series India 2018’ in Panaji, Goa. ’Nobel Prize Series – India 2018’ consist of a month-long ‘Nobel Science Exhibition and the India Science Exhibition: Ideas Changes the world’. During the course of this event, Nobel laureates will interact with school children and teachers. This event has been jointly organised by Department of Bio-Technology under Union Ministry of Science and Technology, Goa State Government and Nobel Media, Sweden. Theme of Nobel Prize Series India 2018’ is ‘Science Impacts Life’. The first edition of ‘Nobel Prize Series in India’ was held in Gujarat in January 2017.
- Who took charge as the 47thCorps Commander of the Chinar Corps of Indian Army on 1st February 2018?
1. Lt Gen Jaswinder Singh
2. Lt Gen A K Bhatt
3. Lt Gen JS Sandhu
4. Lt Gen Satish Dua
5. Lt Gen Bikram SinghAnswer – 2. Lt Gen A K Bhatt
On 1st February 2018, Lt Gen A K Bhatt took charge as the 47thCorps Commander of the Chinar Corps of Indian Army. Lt Gen A K Bhatt replaces Lt Gen J S Sandhu. The Chinar Corps is also known as 15 Corps. It is based in Srinagar. Lt. Gen. Sandhu will take charge as Military Secretary (MS) in New Delhi. Lt. Gen. A K Bhatt was Director General Military Operations (DGMO) at Army Headquarters. Lt Gen A K Bhatt had worked with regiment of 9thGorkha Rifles. He had also represented India as deputy Force Provost Marshal in Lebanon.
- Who was appointed the new Chairman of Alphabet’s Board?
1. Eric Schmidt
2. Larry Page
3. Sergey Brin
4. John Hennessy
5. John DoerrAnswer – 4. John Hennessy
John Hennessy was appointed as Chairman of Alphabet’s Board. John Hennessy succeeds Eric Schmidt. Eric Schmidt was Executive Chairman of Alphabet’s Board for a long time. John Hennessy is former president of Stanford University. He is 65 years old. He joined Google’s board in 2004. John Hennessy has held the post of lead independent director at Google and Alphabet since 2007. Eric Schmidt still remains as a board member and adviser on technical and science issues.
- Who took charge as the Director General (DG) of National Security Guard (NSG)?
1. Bipin Rawat
2. Dawaat Singer
3. Sudeep Lakhtakia
4. Suraender Singh
5. Suraj KushwasAnswer – 3. Sudeep Lakhtakia
Sudeep Lakhtakia took charge as the Director General (DG) of National Security Guard (NSG). Sudeep Lakhtakia has replaced S P Singh as the Director General (DG) of National Security Guard (NSG). S P Singh retired on 31st January 2018. Sudeep Lakhtakia was working as a Special DG in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquarters.
- Who was appointed the new Indian Ambassador to Romania?
1. Manpreet Vohra
2. Thanglura Darlong
3. Kuldeep Singh Bhardwaj
4. Navdeep Suri
5. Sanjay Rana
ExplanationAnswer – 2. Thanglura Darlong
Thanglura Darlong has been appointed as Indian Ambassador to Romania. Thanglura Darlong is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer of 1988 batch. He is currently the CLO (Chief Liaison Officer) in the South Asian University in New Delhi. He has been appointed as the next Indian Ambassador to Romania. He will soon take charge as the Indian Ambassador to Romania.
- Name the interceptor boat which was built for the Indian Coast Guard and was launched in Mangaluru, Karnataka by Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Limited (BDIL).
5. V-400Answer – 2. V-410
On February 1, 2018, V-410, an interceptor boat, built for the Indian Coast Guard, was launched in Mangaluru, Karnataka by Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Limited (BDIL). V-410 is the sixth in the series of 15 interceptors for which BDIL had been given a contract. It will be commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard at its Kochi station and post commissioning, it would be christened ICG 162. V-410 is powered by two main engines, each of 1650kW capacity.
- Which state hosted the SpiceJet India Open International Boxing tournament 2018?
1. West Bengal
3. New Delhi
AnswerAnswer – 3. New Delhi
On 1st February 2018, M C Mary Kom won gold medal at the SpiceJet India Open International Boxing tournament at the Thyagraj Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. India’s M C Mary Kom defeated Filipino Josie Gabuco 4-1 in the finals of the women’s 48kg category and won the gold medal. India’s Pinki Rani defeated Jargalan Ochirbat in the finals of fly (48-51 kg) category and won gold medal. India’s Shiva Thapa won a bronze medal in the 60 kg category. India’s Pwilao Basumatary defeated Thailand’s Sudaporn Seesondee 3-2 and won gold medal in the women’s 64 kg category. India’s Lovlina Borgohain defeated India’s Pooja and won gold in the women’s welterweight (69kg) category. India’s L Sarita Devi lost to Finland’s Mira Potkenon in the women’s 60kg category and won a silver medal.
- Who became the highest ranked Indian with rank number 14, in the Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings released on 2nd February 2018?
1. Harinder Pal Sandhu
2. Vikram Malhotra
3. Saurav Ghosal
4. Dipika Pallikal
5. Sunayna KuruvillaAnswer – 3. Saurav Ghosal
India’s Saurav Ghosal with rank number 14 became the highest ranked Indian in the Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings released on 2nd February 2018. Saurav Ghosal has moved 5 places up and obtained the 14th rank. He has surpassed Joshna Chinappa who is currently at 17th position. Dipika Pallikal is at rank 20. Harinder Pal Sandhu is at 49th position. Mahesh Mangaonkar ranks 64. Vikram Malhotra is ranked 68. Also, Sunayna Kuruvilla ranks 89 and Sachika Ingale at 96.
- When is the World Wetlands Day observed all over the world?
1. February 1
2. February 2
3. February 3
4. February 4
5. February 5Answer – 2. February 2
On 2nd February 2018, World Wetlands Day was observed all over the world. The theme for World Wetlands Day 2018 is: “Wetlands for a Sustainable Urban Future”. On 2nd February 2018 every year, the World Wetlands Day is celebrated. On the same day in 1971, the Convention on Wetlands was adopted in Ramsar, Iran. The Convention on Wetlands is an international treaty for the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands. The World Wetlands Day is celebrated to increase public awareness on wetlands and to highlight the value of wetlands.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the capital of UAE?Abu Dhabi; Currency – UAE dirham
- When was National Security Guard (NSG) formed?1984
- What is the capital of Romania?Bucharest
- When and by whom, the First Union budget of independent India was presented?November 26, 1947 by K. Shanmukham Chetty
- Who is the present chief minister of Uttar Pradesh?Yogi Adityanath