AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 22 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has launched the ‘Asiatic Lion Conservation Project’ to protect and conserve the world’s last ranging free population of Asiatic Lion, with a total budget of ____ rupees for the next 3 years?
1) Rs 97.84 crore
2) Rs 112.56 crore
3) Rs 67.66 crore
4) Rs 50.50 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 97.84 crore
On 20th December 2018, The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, launched the ‘Asiatic Lion Conservation Project’ with an aim to protect and conserve the world’s last ranging free population of Asiatic Lion. The total budget of the project for the next three years is about Rs 97.84 crore. It will help the conservation of Asiatic Lions with the help of state of the art techniques/instruments, regular scientific research studies, disease management, and modern surveillance/patrolling techniques. The project will be funded through, the Development of Wildlife Habitat, a centrally sponsored scheme (CSS-DWH), with the contributing ratio of 60:40 for central and state share. The 2015 census showed a population of 523 Asiatic Lions in the Gir Protected Area Network of 1648.79 sq. km in Gujarat. The Asiatic Lions are already included in the list of 21 critically endangered species for recovery programme and financial assistance under the species recovery component of CSS-DWH.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has authorized 10 security and intelligence agencies of India to access any computer in India for monitoring, decrypting and interception, as per sub section (1) of section 69 of which act?
1) Cyber Security Act, 2016
2) Information Act, 2000
3) Computer Security Act, 2003
4) Internet Surveillance Act, 2012
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Information Act, 2000
On 20th December 2018, The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) issued an order which authorizes ten security and intelligence agencies of the country to access any computer in the country for the purpose of monitoring, decrypting and interception. Ten Intelligence agencies which have given authorization to access any computer resource are Intelligence Bureau, Narcotics Control Bureau, Enforcement Directorate, Central Board of Direct Taxes, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, Central Bureau of Investigation, National Investigation Agency, Cabinet Secretariat (R&AW), Directorate of Signal Intelligence (For J&K, North-East and Assam) and Commissioner of Police, Delhi. The Authorization are given under sub section (1) of section 69 of the Information Act, 2000. The order mandates the service provider or any person in charge of the computer resource to extend technical assistance to the agencies. The Non Compliance may result in seven year of imprisonment and fine.
- Where was the 15th edition of Global SME Business Summit organised by Ministry of MSME, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Government e-marketplace, on 19th and 20th December 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On 19th December 2018, 15th edition of a two day Global SME Business Summit was organised by the Ministry of MSME and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in association with Government e-marketplace in New Delhi. The agenda of the summit is to bring together renowned speakers with unbounded experience and expertise, a global audience, and various national and international SME stakeholders to integrate Indian MSMEs into the Global Value Chains (GVCs). The theme of the event was ‘Building Partnerships through Global Value Chains.’ The event will comprise plenary sessions on various topics and will also feature workshops on international trade, international trade through e-commerce, and domestic trade hubs. Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu and Giriraj Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) along with other dignitaries, CEOs and academicians from India and across the word addressed the summit.
- Patanjali’s World Herbal Forest Project, was inaugurated in _____, on 20th December 2018, which is a collaboration between Patanjali and the state Government?
1) Dehradun, Uttarakhand
2) Sonavali, Himachal Pradesh
3) Patiala, Punjab
4) Morni Hill, Haryana
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Morni Hill, Haryana
On 20th December 2018, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the World Herbal Forest Project, a collaboration of Patanjali and Haryana Government, at Morni Hill, near Chandigarh. The project covers over 52,000 acres of land in Morni Hills and is aimed at developing a forest of medicinal plants which will provide a huge boost to the Ayurvedic industry across the country. Yoga guru Ramdev and Patanjali CEO Acharya Balkrishna were also present during the inaugural function. About 25 different varieties of plants found in the country will be housed in this forest. 50,000 plants each of 20 medicinal varieties are being sown in the first phase of the project.
- India and Japan Exchanged notes on Japanese Official Development assistance loan of _____ for Chennai Metro Project (Phase 2), Program for Japan-India Cooperative Actions towards sustainable Development goals in India and Project for Dairy Development, on 21st December 2018?
1) Yen 105.497 billion
2) Yen 122.57 billion
3) Yen 159.78 billion
4) Yen 198.50 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Yen 105.497 billion
On 21st December 2018, India and Japan Exchanged notes on Japanese Official Development assistance loan of Yen 105.497 billion (approximately Rs 6668.46 crore) for three projects which are as follows:
• Chennai Metro Project (Phase 2) for JPY 75.519 billion.
• Program for Japan-India Cooperative Actions towards sustainable Development goals in India for JPY 15 Billion.
• Project for Dairy Development for JPY 14.978 billion.
- Government introduced the Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018 to amend which act to improve the ease of doing business, ease burden of the special courts and modify punishments, on 21st December 2018?
1) Companies Act, 2013
2) Industries Regulation Act, 2015
3) Factories Act, 2000
4) Industry Codes Act, 2005
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Companies Act, 2013
On December 20, 2018, the government introduced the Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018 to amend the Companies Act, 2013 to further improve the ease of doing business, ease burden of the special courts and modify punishments. The bill would replace the Companies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018, that was promulgated on November 2, 2018 and would amend provisions in the Companies Act, 2013. According to the bill, following amendments are going to take place:
• A total of 16 types of corporate offences have been shifted from special courts to in-house adjudication, increasing the scope of in-house assessment from 18 to 34 Sections of the Act.
• Amending section 441 to enhance the jurisdiction of Regional Director for compound offences,
• Amending clause (41) of section 2 to empower the central government to allow certain companies to have a different financial year instead of being determined by the National Company Law Tribunal.
• Amending section 12 of Act to empower Registrar to remove names of companies from register of companies if the companies are not operational according to the provisions of the Act.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced financial assistance up to _____ US Dollars, in the form of budgetary support, currency swap and concessional lines of credit for socio-economic development of the Maldives, on 17th December 2018?
1) USD 1.4 billion
2) USD 2.5 billlion
3) USD 5.6 billion
4) USD 2.8 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 1.4 billion
On 17th December 2018, Prime Minister announced financial assistance up to US$ 1.4 billion in the form of budgetary support, currency swap and concessional lines of credit to fulfil the socio-economic development programmes of the Maldives.
- How many MoUs were signed between India and the Maldives during President of the Maldives, H.E. Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s 3-day visit to India, that concluded on 18th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 4
On December 18, 2018, the President of the Republic of Maldives, H.E. Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Solih concluded his maiden 3-day state visit to India. On December 17, 2018, after successful completion of the delegation level talks between the PM of India and President of Maldives, 4 MOUs were signed. They are as follows:
• Agreement on the Facilitation of Visa Arrangements
• Memorandum of Understanding on Cultural Cooperation
• Memorandum of Understanding for Establishing Mutual Cooperation to Improve the Ecosystem for Agribusiness;
• Joint Declaration of Intent on Cooperation in the field of Information & Communications Technology and Electronics.
- Which entity released the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) India Index: Baseline Report 2018, in New Delhi, 21st December 2018?
1) United Nations
2) NITI Aayog
3) World Health Organisation (WHO)
4) Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) NITI Aayog
On December 21, 2018, the Sustainable Development Goal, SDG India Index: Baseline Report 2018 was released by the NITI Aayog in New Delhi. It was released by:
• NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Rajiv Kumar,
• NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant,
• NITI Aayog Members Dr Ramesh Chand, Dr VK Paul and Dr VK Saraswat,
• UN Resident Coordinator Yuri Afanasiev and
• MoSPI Secretary & CSI Shri Pravin Srivastava.
It was developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Global Green Growth Institute and United Nations in India.
- Kerala and _____ emerged as toppers among the states in the ‘Front Runners’ category with a composite score of 69, in the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) India Index 2018?
1) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Himachal Pradesh
On December 21, 2018, the Sustainable Development Goal, SDG India Index: Baseline Report 2018 was released by the NITI Aayog in New Delhi. A composite score was computed between the range of 0-100 for each State and UT based on the 13 selected goals. The higher the score of a State/UT, the greater the distance to target achieved which means if a State/UT achieves a score of 100, it signifies that it has achieved the 2030 national targets. There are 4 categories of the index based on the scores the state/UT has achieved. They are:
• Achiever (100),
• Front Runner (65-99),
• Performer (50-64) and
• Aspirant (0-49).
The SDG Index score for Sustainable Development Goals 2030 ranged
• Between 42 and 69 for State and
• Between 57 to 68 for Union Territories.
Among the states: Kerala, Himachal Pradesh and Tamil Nadu are at the top of the list and running as ‘Front Runners’ with the scores of 69 each for Kerala and Himachal Pradesh and 66 for Tamil Nadu.
- Which union territory ranked the highest among union territories in the ‘Front Runner’ category with a composite score 68 in the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) India Index 2018?
4) Andaman & Nicobar Islands
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Chandigarh
On December 21, 2018, the Sustainable Development Goal, SDG India Index: Baseline Report 2018 was released by the NITI Aayog in New Delhi. A composite score was computed between the range of 0-100 for each State and UT based on the 13 selected goals. Chandigarh and Puducherry ranked the highest with 68 and 65 composite scores respectively earning the category of ‘Front Runner’. Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu, Delhi and Lakshadweep were ranked in the ‘Performer’ category.
- What was India’s average score in the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) India Index 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 57
On December 21, 2018, the Sustainable Development Goal, SDG India Index: Baseline Report 2018 was released by the NITI Aayog in New Delhi. A composite score was computed between the range of 0-100 for each State and UT based on the 13 selected goals. The ranking took India’s average score at 57. None of the states/UTs were marked in the ‘Achiever’ category.
- Name the first-ever negotiated global framework on a common approach to international migration in all its dimensions, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly, on 10th December 2018, in Marrakesh, Morocco?
1) Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
2) Global Compact for Migrant Safety
3) Global Compact for Migrant Regulation
4) Global Compact for Protection and Support of Migrants
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
On 10th December 2018, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, the first-ever negotiated global framework on a common approach to international migration in all its dimensions, in Marrakesh, Morocco. The compact was adopted by the General Assembly with 152 votes in favour, 12 abstentions, and five votes against, namely by the Czech Republic, Hungary, Israel, Poland, and the United States of America. The compact is aimed to address issues that concern the world’s 258 million people on the move and countries of origin, transit and destination. The Compact is the outcome of a long negotiation process and provides a strong platform for cooperation on migration, drawing on best practice and international law though it is non-legally binding. The compact was signed about a week before the UN celebrated International Migrants Day on 18th December 2018 with the theme Migration with Dignity.
- US Federal Reserve has raised the interest rate from 2.25 per cent to what per cent which will result in increase of borrowing costs for individuals and businesses?
1) 2.5 %
2) 2.75 %
3) 3.00 %
4) 3.25 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 2.5 %
The US Federal Reserve has raised the interest rate from 2.25 per cent to 2.5 per cent which will result in increase in the borrowing costs for the individuals and businesses. This is the fourth hike in interest rate in 2018. The Federal Reserve continued raising interest rates gradually as US economy is showing strength and unemployment rates has been gone down to 3.7 per cent.
- India’s power sector has an “efficiency” gap that costs the Indian economy ____ % of GDP a year, as per “In the Dark: How Much Do Power Sector Distortions Cost South Asia,” report released by Senior Economist Fan Zhang of World Bank?
1) 5.67 %
2) 4.13 %
3) 3.45 %
4) 6.20 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 4.13 %
According to a newly released report by Fan Zhang, Senior Economist, South Asia Region, World Bank.- “In the Dark: How Much Do Power Sector Distortions Cost South Asia,” India’s power sector has an “efficiency” gap that costs the Indian economy 4.13% of GDP a year, equivalent to $86 billion in fiscal year 2016. The fiscal cost, consisting of subsidies to distribution utilities was $ 8.8 billion (or 0.42 per cent of GDP) in financial year 2015-2016. In India, about 178 million people still lacked access to power in 2017. Connecting all of India’s population to reliable electricity would increase the income of rural households by $9.4 billion a year, while eliminating power shortages would prevent an estimated $22.7 billion a year in business losses. Though India has world’s fourth-largest coal reserves, it fell 14% short of meeting coal demand in fiscal year 2016.
- How many workers employed in the Departmental Undertakings & Public Sector Undertakings of the Central and State Governments and Private Sector Units employing 500 or more workers, were honoured with the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards 2017?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 40
On 20th December 2018, 40 workers employed in the Departmental Undertakings & Public Sector Undertakings of the Central and State Governments and Private Sector Units employing 500 or more workers, were selected by the Government of India for the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards 2017. The Prime Minister’s Shram Awards are given in recognition of the workers’ distinguished performances, innovative abilities, outstanding contribution in the field of productivity and exhibition of exceptional courage and presence of mind. The awards are given every year in 4 categories namely- Shram Ratna Award, Shram Bhushan Award, Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana and Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awards. This year none of the workers were conferred the prestigious Shram Ratna Award. Three workers including one female were chosen for this year’s Shram Bhushan Awards which carries a cash award of Rs. 1,00,000/- and a ‘Sanad’. Twelve awardees were selected for Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Awards carrying a cash award of Rs. 60,000/- and a ‘Sanad’. Total number of Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awardees was twenty five including two female. The award carries a cash award of Rs. 40,000/- and a ‘Sanad’.
- Which company won the National Energy Conservation Award 2018 in the pumps category for the fourth time, on 14th December 2018?
1) Grundfos Pumps India
2) C.R.I. Pumps
3) Dencil Pumps
4) Shakti Pumps
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) C.R.I. Pumps
On 14th December 2018, C.R.I. pumps, one of the Leading Manufacturer of energy efficient pumps won the National Energy Conservation Award 2018 in the pumps category for the fourth time. C.R.I. Group joint Managing Director, Mr. G. Selvaraj receives the award. C.R.I. is the highest contributor in the country for the projects of EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited) to replace the old inefficient pumps with new 5 star rated smart pumps.
- Who was appointed as LinkedIn’s Country Manager for India with effect from January 7, 2019?
1) Ritesh Agarwal
2) Mahesh Narayanan
3) Surya Chaabra
4) Vinay Singhania
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mahesh Narayanan
On 20th December 2018, LinkedIn which is the Microsoft owned professional networking platform hires Mahesh Narayanan as the Country Manager for India. Mahesh Narayanan will join LinkedIn from January 7, 2019. Before Joining LinkedIn, Mahesh Narayanan had served music and audio streaming service Saavn and led Google India’s mobile advertising business from 2010 to 2013. Mr. Narayanan will report to LinkedIn’s Managing Director for the Asia Pacific (APAC) Mr. Olivier Legrand.
- Name the Secretary General of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) who has been elected the President of South Asian Fencing Federation (SAFF) for 4 years?
1) Rahul Singhvi
2) Gautam Sharma
3) Mithun Vijay
4) Rajeev Mehta
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rajeev Mehta
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Secretary General, Rajeev Mehta has been elected the President of South Asian Fencing Body for a period of four years after the meeting of South Asian Fencing Federation (SAFF) at Hyderabad. Rajeev Mehta is also the President of Fencing Association of India (FAI). The Game of fencing has been included in the list of events for the South Asian games to be held in August next year in Nepal. The First South Asian Fencing Championship 2019 will be held in Chhattisgarh.
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) re-issued safety guidelines regarding the use of which oral drug, on 20th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Isotretinoin
On December 20, 2018, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) re-issued safety guidelines regarding the use of the oral drug, Isotretinoin. This drug that is used to treat severe nodular acne in women may cause severe birth defects which is why CDSCO warned all the State and Union Territories’ drugs controllers. According to the guidelines,
• all packs of Isotretinoin should carry a warning that the medicine can cause severe birth defects,
• the medicine should not be taken by a woman who is pregnant or likely to get pregnant.
Additionally, Drug Controller General Dr. S. Eswara Reddy directed all the drug controllers of the state and UTs to monitor the distribution of the drug. The directions were based on recommendations of the Subject Expert Committee (SEC) for Dermatology and Allergy, CDSCO.
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh launched the iGOT and RTI Portal on Judgments/Orders of Supreme Court, High Courts and CIC, in New Delhi, on 20th December 2018. What does “T” represent in iGOT?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Training
iGOT – Integrated Government Online Training Programme
On December 20, 2018, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched the iGOT (Integrated Government Online Training Programme) in New Delhi. These initiatives were launched on the eve of Good Governance Day. It was developed by Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions. He also launched RTI Portal on Judgments/Orders of Supreme Court, High Courts and CIC. It has been developed by Institute of Secretariat Training and Management (ISTM), New Delhi. This will provide a learning environment where a repository on the landmark cases on the RTI will be available at one place.
- When was Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year observed in the Northern Hemisphere and Summer Solstice, the Longest Day of the year observed in the Southern Hemisphere?
1) December 19
2) December 20
3) December 21
4) December 22
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) December 21
On 21st December 2018, Winter Solstice which is the shortest day of the year was observed in the Northern Hemisphere whereas the Summer Solstice which is the Longest Day of the year was observed in the Southern Hemisphere. The Summer and Winter Solstices are caused as a result of the tilt of the Earth and its elliptical path around the sun. The Roles are reversed on 21st June when the Northern Hemisphere observes Summer Solstice and Southern Hemisphere observes winter solstice. On this day, celebrations and festivals are held in different countries on the occasion of solstice.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Drug Controller General of India is ____?Dr. S. Eswara Reddy
- Name the CEO and headquarters of World Bank?CEO – Kristalina Georgieva; Headquarters – Washington, D.C., United States
- Who is the CEO of NITI Aayog?Amitabh Kant
- What is the capital and currency of Maldives?Capital – Male; Currency – Maldivian rufiyaa
- Who is the President of Indian Olympic Federation (IOA)?Narinder Dhruv Batra