AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs December 20 2017 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- What is the scheme proposed by NITI Aayog for saving jobs from automation?
1. Antyodaya Anna Yojana
2. Stand up India
3. Transforming India
5. Labour Utilisation FundAnswer – 5. Labour Utilisation Fund
NITI Aayog Vice Chairman, Rajiv Kumar has stated that Central Government should consider setting up a labour utilisation fund in order to handle the challenge of growing redundancy of low-skilled labour in India with increase of automation and advent of artificial intelligence. The fund should be used for improving skills of workforce and increase its cost competitiveness. This will encourage businesses to hire more such human resource. This should be done by imparting relevant training. Besides, the fund can also be utilised for paying provident fund contribution and for covering the health costs of low-skilled workforce. NITI Aayog has suggested that Government should focus on employment generation in labour-intensive sectors like construction, housing, exports, garments, tourism and education.
- Under Mega Food Park Scheme, how many food parks are set up across India?
5. 44Answer – 3. 42
Central Government has sanctioned 42 Mega Food Parks (MFPs) to be set up across India under Mega Food Park Scheme. Objective of the Mega Food Park scheme, administered by Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries, is to provide a mechanism for linking agricultural production to the market by bringing together farmers, food processors and retailers. Besides, it also aims to reduce post-harvest losses of horticulture & non-horticulture produce and providing remunerative price to farmers for their produce. Under this scheme, Union Ministry of Food processing provides financial assistance in the form of grant-in-aid in the range of 35-50% (depending on area) for storage and transport infrastructure and 50-75% for value addition and processing infrastructure. Currently, 9 MFPs are functional. Out of 42 MFPs that have been sanctioned, 36 have been accorded Final Approval and another 2 have been accorded In-Principle Approval.
- By amending which Act, Lok Sabha passed the Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017?
1. Central Road Fund Act, 2016
2. Central Road Fund Act, 2005
3. Central Road Fund Act, 2002
4. Central Road Fund Act, 2000
5. Central Road Fund Act, 2009Answer – 4. Central Road Fund Act, 2000
Lok Sabha passed the Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017, which seeks to amend the Central Road Fund Act, 2000. Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017 seeks to amend Central Road Fund Act, 2000, which contains provision for distributing cess levied and collected on high speed petrol and diesel for development of national highways, rural roads, railways, state roads and border area roads. It has been proposed in the amendment bill that two and a half per cent of the Central Road Fund should be allocated to accelerate the development and maintenance of national waterways. It has also proposed that allocation for national highways should be reduced by two and a half per cent. Owing to this move, Rs. 2300 crore will be available for development and maintenance of national waterways
- Through which Bill, 20 IIMs have been given the status of institutions of national importance, thereby recognising its role as a pivotal player in developing highly skilled personnel?
1. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2013
2. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2014
3. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2015
4. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2016
5. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017Answer – 5. Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017
Rajya Sabha unanimously passed Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017 which provides greater functional autonomy to Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and confers powers to grant degrees instead of post-graduate diplomas. Lok Sabha had passed this bill in July 2017. Through this Bill, 20 IIMs have been given the status of institutions of national importance, thereby recognising its role as a pivotal player in developing highly skilled personnel. Earlier, fellowships of the IIMs were not regarded as doctoral degrees (PhDs). With the passage of this bill, students will be able to acquire PhDs from the IIMs. As per the provisions laid out in IIM Bill, 2017, Central Government will not be involved in appointment of the chairpersons and directors to the Boards of IIMs.
- In a bid to cut power consumption, What measure is taken by the Indian Railways?
1. Solar Lamps
2. LED lights
3. Power Saver Lamps
4. Neon Lights
5. Argon LightsAnswer – 2. Make all stations 100 per cent LED lit
In a bid to cut power consumption, the Indian Railways has laid out plan to make all stations 100 per cent LED lit by March 31, 2018. LED (light-emitting diode) bulbs are more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan as compared to traditional lamps. Till November 2017, about 3500 railway stations have already been made 100 per cent LED lit. About 20 lakh LED lights were installed in this process. This initiative is expected to reduce energy consumption by 10 per cent and will translate into annual savings of Rs 180 crore for Indian Railways. Zonal Railways have been directed to provide LED light fittings in staff’s residential quarters as well.Till October 2017, nearly 20 lakh LED lights have been distributed among railway staff under government’s Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP) Scheme.
- The Indian Army’s southern command has conducted “Hamesha Vijayee” Exercise in which state?
4. Madhya Pradesh
5. GoaAnswer – 2. Rajasthan
Indian Army’s Southern Command is conducting an exercise called ‘Hamesha Vijayee’ in Jaisalmer-Barmer deserts of Rajasthan from 16th – 22nd December, 2017. This exercise is being conducted with an objective to evaluate the capability and preparedness of Indian armed forces to carry out strikes deep into enemy territory in an integrated air-land battle. Under this exercise, Indian army troops, equipped with tanks and other armoured vehicles will conduct operational manoeuvres to validate their battle plans. The exercise also includes testing of robust sensor to shooter grids and a range of surveillance and air assets networked with land centres. Union Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman and Indian Army Chief, General Bipin Rawat will witness the exercise on 21st and 22nd December, 2017.
- Which state Government has scrapped ‘Shravan Yatra’, a scheme under which elderly citizens could undertake pilgrimage free of cost?
3. Uttar Pradesh
5. KeralaAnswer – 3. Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh State Government, under Chief Minister, Yogi Adityanath has scrapped ‘Shravan Yatra’, a scheme under which elderly citizens could undertake pilgrimage free of cost. Shravan Yatra was started in 2015 by the Samajwadi Party government under Akhilesh Yadav. The scheme was named after a mythological character named Shravan Kumar, who had carried his blind parents on his shoulders for a pilgrimage. Under this scheme, entire boarding and lodging expenses for the pilgrimage undertaken by senior citizens residing in the state was borne by the state government. Uttar Pradesh Minister for Religious Affairs Laxmi Narayan Chaudhary, stated that the scheme was being discontinued in public interest and there is no plan to revive it.
- Which state hosted the India-U.S. Counter-Terrorism Designations Dialogue 2017?
1. New Delhi
5. JharkhandAnswer – 1. New Delhi
The inaugural India-U.S. Counter-Terrorism Designations Dialogue was held in New Delhi. In the inaugural India-U.S. Counter-Terrorism Designations Dialogue increasing bilateral cooperation on terrorism-related designations was discussed. Information regarding procedures for pursuing designations against terrorist groups and individuals, through domestic and international mechanisms were exchanged. Best practices for effective implementation of the designations were also discussed. The second India-U.S. Designations Dialogue will be hosted by United States in 2018.
- Which Indian state hosed the the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM’s) 3rd meeting?
2. New Delhi
5. Andhra PradeshAnswer – 2. New Delhi
The Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) held its 3rd meeting in New Delhi. The 3rd meeting of EAC PM was held under the chairmanship of Dr Bibek Debroy, Chairman of EAC-PM & Member of NITI Aayog. Dr Ramesh Chand, Member of NITI Aayog made a presentation on “Strategic options for enhancing agricultural productivity, income and pro-employment growth in Agriculture and Allied Sectors”. Kishore Desai, OSD (Officer on Special Duty) in the EAC-PM has made a presentation on trade related issues. Dr Rathin Roy and Dr Surjit Bhalla, Part Time Members of EAC PM made a presentation on update on Economy Track Monitor.
- Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA) along with Organization organised an international forum on “Role of Rural and Agricultural Finance to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals”?
5. CBIAnswer – 3. NABARD
Arun Jaitley, Union Finance Minsiter, stated that the Central Government was committed to improve the purchasing power of farming community. Arun Jaitley said that, the Central Government had been assisting agricultural activities in India through low-cost credit, crop insurance, rural connectivity and sanitation programmes for rural India. Arun Jaitley made this statement while he was addressing an international forum on “Role of Rural and Agricultural Finance to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals”. The forum was organised by NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) and Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA).
- Indian Navy along with which country’s Navy has completed the 2nd phase of the joint oceanographic survey conducted off the South Western Coast of Sri Lanka?
5. IranAnswer – 4. Srilanka
The Indian and Sri Lankan navies completed the 2nd phase of the joint oceanographic survey conducted off the South Western Coast of Sri Lanka. On 19th December 2017, sheet containing soundings from the survey was handed over to the Commander of the Sri Lankan Navy, Vice Admiral Sirimevan Ranasinghe by the Commanding Officer of INS Sutlej, Captain Tribhuvan Singh. The 2nd phase of the Joint Oceanographic Survey started on 26 October 2017. Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sutlej went to Sri Lanka for this survey. The joint oceanographic survey’s aim was to update all the navigational charts covering the south Sri Lankan waters with the latest hydrographic data. The 3rd phase of the joint oceanographic survey has been scheduled for 2018 from Great Basses to Sangamankanda in Sri Lanka.
- Which country approved a law banning all exploration and production of oil and natural gas by 2040?
5. HollandAnswer – 2. France
France’s parliament approved a law banning all exploration and production of oil and natural gas by 2040. This law will be applicable not only witin France but also in its overseas territories. Besides, French Government has also decided that no new exploration licenses will be granted and existing drilling permits will not be renewed. French authorities have claimed that this ban is aimed to reduce usage of fossil fuels and to fulfill its commitments under Paris climate agreement to curb global warming. However, this ban seems to be only symbolic as 99% of France’s oil and gas consumption is imported and only 1% is produced within the country.
- Under what plan, Central Government has infused capital of Rs. 51858 crore in public sector banks (PSBs)?
1. Pradham mantri jan dhan yojana
2. Sukhanya samridi account
3. MUDRA Bank Yojana
4. Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
5. IndradhanushAnswer – 5. Indradhanush
Central Government has so far infused capital of Rs. 51858 crore in public sector banks (PSBs) under the Indradhanush Plan. Mission Indradhanush by Indian Government is an attempt to resolve issues faced by Public Sector banks and make them capable to compete with Private Sector banks. During the FY 2016-17, amount of Rs. 22915 was allocated to 13 PSBs. 75% of this amount was infused upfront while the remaining amount was infused on basis of banks’ individual performance. As per the broad plan, Government of India will infuse total Rs. 70000 crore in PSBs through budgetary allocation spread across financial years, 2015-16 to 2018-19.
- IIT Bombay signed a MoU with which Railway Company to transform George Fernandes Institute of Tunnel Technology in Goa to a world-class centre of knowledge in tunnel and underground structure technologies?
1. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
2. Calcutta Tramways Company
3. Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
4. Konkan Railway Corporation
5. RITES (Rail India Technical and Economic Service)Answer – 4. Konkan Railway Corporation
The Konkan Railway and IIT Bombay signed a MoU to transform George Fernandes Institute of Tunnel Technology in Goa to a world-class centre of knowledge in tunnel and underground structure technologies. Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL) Chairman and MD Sanjay Gupta and Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B) Director Prof. D V Khakhar signed the MoU at IIT Bombay. As per the MoU, IIT-B will provide technical support to the Konkan Railway to strengthen the George Fernandes Institute of Tunnel Technology (GFITT) at Madgaon in Goa.
- Which Company along with Dalian Municipal People’s Government signed a joint investment agreement to create a platform called the Sino-Indian Digital Collaboration Plaza (SIDCOP) in Dalian?
5. NASSCOMAnswer – 5. NASSCOM
National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) and Dalian Municipal People’s Government signed a joint investment agreement to create a platform called the Sino-Indian Digital Collaboration Plaza (SIDCOP) in Dalian. This agreement will enable Indian IT companies enter Dalian (cyber city of China). The Dalian Platform powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IOT) will operate in online and offline modes. The agreement provides tax concessions and benefits like access to banks, school admissions for children of workers in Indian firms etc. Gagan Sabharwal, Senior Director, NASSCOM signed the agreement on NASSCOM’s behalf.
- Who was awarded the best actor award in “Zee Cine Awards 2018”?
1. Salman Khan
2. Rajkummar Rao
3. Anil Kapoor
4. Varun Dhawan
5. Akshay KumarAnswer – 4. Varun Dhawan
Zee Cine Awards 2018, honouring excellence in Indian Film industry was held in Mumbai on December 19, 2017. Zee Cine awards were first awarded in year 1998.
The award ceremony was hosted by comedian Sunil Grover, and Director Rohit Shetty. Best Actor (Male) award went to Varun Dhawan for movie ‘Badrinath Ki Dulhania’, while Sridevi was conferred Best Actor (Female) award for movie ‘Mom’. Rohi Shetty’s ‘Golmaal Again’ won the Best Film award. Several Bollywood stars including Priyanka Chopra, Shahid Kapoor, Katrina Kaif and Ranveer Singh performed at the award ceremony.
- Who bagged the Pichichi award by Marca Sports Journal for best player in La Liga 2016-2017 season?
1. Roger Federor
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Lionel Messi
5. Gareth BaleAnswer – 3. Lionel Messi
Lionel Messi received the Pichichi award and the Alfredo Di Stefano award instituted by Marca Sports Journal. Lionel Messi won the Pichichi trophy, awarded by Marca to the top goal scorer of La Liga 2016-2017 season. He scored 37 goals and provided nine assists in the 2016-17 La Liga season. He also won the Alfredo Di Stefano award for the best player in La Liga 2016-2017 season. This is the fifth Alfredo Di Stefano award in his career.
- Which Financial Service Company announced its acquisition of Religare Enterprises Ltd’s securities business, including securities and commodities broking, and depository participant services?
1. Global Medical Insurance
2. Edelweiss Group
3. Capital Mind
4. Motilal Oswal
5. Vertex Corporate ServicesAnswer – 2. Edelweiss Group
The Edelweiss Group announced its acquisition of Religare Enterprises Ltd’s securities business, including securities and commodities broking, and depository participant services. Edelweiss Wealth Management will take over distribution of more than 90 branches, around 1 million clients and the employees of Religare all over India, as per the deal. Financial details of the deal have not been revealed. Acquisition of Religare’s business will enhance expansion of Edelweiss Wealth Management’ geographical presence, distribution and client base.
- What is the mobile application launched by Eastern Railway for the security of passengers, especially women, in Kolkata and suburban areas of Eastern Railway Zone?
5. R-MITHRAAnswer – 2. R-MITRA
Eastern Railway has launched a mobile application named “R-MITRA” (Railway Mobile Instant Tracking Response & Assistance) for security of passengers, especially women, in Kolkata and suburban areas of Eastern Railway Zone. R-MITRA will provide security and timely security related assistance to passengers within the jurisdiction of Eastern Railway. Prevention and detection of crime against passengers over Railways is carried out by Government Railway Police (GRP). Railway Protection Force (RPF) supports the efforts of states to provide security over Railways.
- Which Indian city hosted the Junior National Badminton Championships 2017?
5. ChennaiAnswer – 4. Guwahati
Aakarshi Kashyap won both Under-17 and Under-19 singles titles at the Junior National Badminton Championships in Guwahati. In the Under-17 category, Aakarshi Kashyap defeated Malvika Bansod in the singles final and won the Under-17 girls’ singles title. In the Under-19 category, Aakarshi Kashyap defeated Vaidehi Choudhari in the singles final and won the U-19 girls’ singles title. Also, Mithula UK won two titles in the championship: Under-19 girls’ doubles title along with Rutuparna Panda and mixed doubles title with Krishna Prasad Garaga. Vishnuvardhan Goud also won two titles in the championship: Under-17 boys’ doubles title along with Navaneeth Bokka and Under-19 boys’ doubles title along with Sri Krishna Sai Kumar Podile.
- Which team is the first-ever T10 Cricket League champions at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates?
1. Kerala Kings
2. Maratha Arabians
4. Punjabi Legends
5. Bengal TigersAnswer – 1. Kerala Kings
Kerala Kings became the first-ever T10 Cricket League champion at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Kerala Kings won the final match of first T10 League against Punjabi Legends by 8 wickets. Kerala Kings won the toss and elected to bowl first. Kerala Kings finished the match while 12 balls were remaining. Kerala Kings’ Eoin Morgan was awarded Man of the Match and Spirit of the Match and Beyond Boundaries awards. Man of the Tournament was awarded to Luke Ronchi of Punjabi Legends.
- India defeated which country in the ongoing SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship at Dhaka, Bangladesh?
ExplanatioAnswer – 3. Nepal
India defeated Nepal in the ongoing SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship at Dhaka, Bangladesh. India defeated Nepal 10-0 in the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship at Dhaka. Now India will compete with Bangladesh on 21stDecember 2017. Priyanka Devi and Sunita Munda scored Hattricks. Nepal missed its penalty opportunity as the teams went 5-0 into half time.
- When is International Human Solidarity Day observed all over the world?
1. December 18
2. December 19
3. December 20
4. December 21
5. December 22Answer – 3. December 20
On 20th December 2017, International Human Solidarity Day was observed all over the world. The UN General Assembly declared 20th December as International Human Solidarity Day to promote solidarity and the spirit of sharing. To promote solidarity, World Solidarity Fund was established. This was created in a move to eradicate poverty. International Human Solidarity Day is celebrated to highlight unity in diversity, raise awareness on solidarity, respect commitments to international agreements, etc.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Chairman of NITI AayogNarendra Modi
- Dudhwa National Park is in which state?Uttar Pradesh
- What is the currency of France?Euro; Capital – Paris
- What is the tagline of Bank of India?Relationship Beyond Banking
- Which country hosted the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) U-15 Women’s Championship?Bangladesh