AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 8 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Name the bill that was passed by the Parliament on 7th August 2018, regarding the compensation payable for acquisition of immovable property by the Centre for defence and security purposes?
1.Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill
2.Assurance and Compensation of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill
3.Acquisition and Compensation of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill
4.Compensation and Requisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill
The Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 18th July 2018 with some minor amendments. It was returned to the Lok Sabha. Now the Lok Sabha has approved it through a voice vote without debate. The act enables central government to requisition immovable property (or land) for any public purpose like defence and security purposes. The amendments included changing the year of the Bill. The Bill will be considered to have come into force on March 14, 1952, the date of the enactment of the Act.
- Maharashtra Government has announced a special assistance of _____ for OBC community to help them develop employment opportunities for the youth?
1.Rs 700 crore
2.Rs 500 crore
3.Rs 350 crore
4.Rs 900 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 500 crore
This announcement was made by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis at the 3rd National Convention of National OBC Association in Mumbai. He denied reports stating that, Maratha community may be included in the OBC category for reservation purpose. Maharashtra government has also recommended to the Centre to award Bharat Ratna posthumously to 19th-century social reformer Jyotiba Phule and his wife Savitribai Phule, who is a pioneer of women’s education. The government will assess the extent of representation offered to OBCs in jobs and take measures to address the backlog, in a timely manner.
- PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) and Confederation of Nepalese Industries (CNI) have signed a MoU to establish India-Nepal Centre. Who is the President of PHDCCI?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Anil Khaitan
The MoU was signed by Anil Khaitan, President of PHDCCI and Hari Bhakta Sharma, President of CNI, in Kathmandu, Nepal. This MoU will help in strengthening economic engagement between India and Nepal. This MoU aims to promote Indian investment in Nepal, work with Indian ventures in Nepal to tackle problems faced by them, enhance industrialization in Nepal and train Nepali entrepreneurs. Finance Minister of Nepal, Dr.Yuba Raj Khatiwada and Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri were also present when the MoU was signed.
- On 6th August 2018, a revised Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed by which ministry with NABARD and National Water Development Agency (NWDA) for funding of central share of 99 prioritized irrigation projects under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)?
1.Ministry of Science and Technology
2.Ministry of Urban Affairs
3.Ministry of Home Affairs
4.Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
This MoU will help Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD & GR) to release Central Assistance to prioritized projects under PMKSY according to the needs in a timely manner. Under PMKSY, 99 ongoing irrigation projects were identified to be finished in mission mode by December 2019. Total fund needed for finishing these projects was estimated at Rs. 77,595 crore (with a split up of Rs. 48,546 crore for project works; Rs. 29,049 crore for Command Area Development works) with Central Assistance of Rs. 31,342 crore. On 6th September 2018, a tripartite Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed by Government of India (through MoWR, RD & GR), NABARD and NWDA for funding of Central Assistance for 99 irrigation projects through LTIF.
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched integration & availability of TRAI Mobile Apps namely DND 2.0 & MyCall on which platform?
1.UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance)
3.T App Folio
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance)
It is an application for crowd sourced Voice Call Quality Monitoring. It helps Mobile phone users to rate their experience about voice call quality in real time. The customers would select their rating in the form of stars and indicate if the calls were made in indoor, outdoor or while travelling. Callers can also provide additional details such as noise or audio delay or mark a call-drop.
- Which state government launched Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for empowerment of women, on 8thAugust 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Bihar
On August 8, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for empowerment of women. A sum of Rs 7221 crore will be spend in a year on the programme. It will be run by three departments — education, health and social welfare. It will provide Rs 54,100 from the birth of a girl child till she graduates.
- Where was 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held on 2nd August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Singapore
On August 2, 2018, 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held in Singapore. Singapore was the rotating president of the meeting. Negotiations on regional comprehensive economic partnership agreement was held between the ASEAN national. Further meetings of China-ASEAN foreign ministers meeting, the foreign minister meetings of the East Asia Summit and the ASEAN-China, Japan and Republic of Korea (10+3) foreign ministers’ meeting will be held in Singapore.
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched a payments machine called MOPAD. What is the full form of MOPAD?
1.Multi Option Payment Acceptance Device
2.Multi Outlet Payment Acceptance Device
3.Multi Option Payment Availability Device
4.Master Output Payment Acceptance Device
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Multi Option Payment Acceptance Device
On August 8, 2018, State Bank of India launched a payments machine called MOPAD. The full form of MOPAD is Multi Option Payment Acceptance Device. It is a Point of Sale (PoS) terminal that will allow to facilitate transactions from cards to QR code based payments. It would accept payments through UPI, Bharat QR, and SBI Buddy wallet which till now required different tools to receive payments. Customers won’t have to carry cards and can just scan the QR code to make the payment.
- On August 8, 2018, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Custom (CBIC) doubled import duty on 328 textile products to 20% under which section of the Customs Act, 1962?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Section 159
On August 8, 2018, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Custom (CBIC) doubled import duty on 328 textile productes to 20% under Section 159 of the Customs Act, 1962. Earlier, the government had last month doubled import duty on over 50 textile products– including jackets, suits and carpets to 20 per cent. This would boost production as it would give an edge to domestic manufacturers. The manufaturig sector provides employment to 10.5 crore people.
- Name the 2 persons who were appointed as part-time directors on the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) board for a four-year term, on August 8, 2018?
1.S Gurumurthy, Satish Marathe
2.Raghu Ram Krishnan, Sathya Kumar
3.Puneeth Rai, Rajinish Kumar
4.Amar Kashyap, Kunal Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.S Gurumurthy, Satish Marathe
On August 8, 2018, S Gurumurthy and Satish Marathe were appointed as part-time directors on the Reserve Bank of India board by The Cabinet’s Appointments Committee for a four-year term. These appointments were proposed by the Department of Financial Services. S Gurumurthy is the editor of Tamil political weekly Thuglak and the co-convener of RSS affiliate Swadeshi Jagran Manch. This is his 1st term as an RBI director.
- Washington Open (tennis) 2018 or Citi Open 2018 was held at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center in Washington DC, United States, from 28th July to 5th August 2018. Who won the Men’s Singles title of the tournament?
3.Alex de Minaur
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Alexander Zverev
Event Winner Runner-up
Men’s Singles Alexander Zverev (Germany) Alex de Minaur (Australia)
Women’s Singles Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) Donna Vekić (Croatia)
Men’s Singles Jamie Murray (United Kingdom), Bruno Soares (Brazil) Mike Bryan (United States), Édouard Roger-Vasselin (France)
Women’s Doubles Han Xinyun (China), Darija Jurak (Croatia) Alexa Guarachi (Chile), Erin Routliffe (New Zealand)
- Which will be the first Olympics to deploy facial recognition technology to increase security?
1.Qatar Olympics 2022
2.Tokyo Olympics 2020
3.London Olympics 2020
4.Canada Olympics 2020
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Tokyo Olympics 2020
On August 8, 2018, it was announced that the Tokyo 2020 will be the first Olympics to deploy facial recognition technology to increase security. The Olympic organizers have partnered with NEC, a Japanese telecommunications and information technology firm, to develop the first system of this kind. It will use IC chips within identification cards to automatically verify the identity of those entering over 40 venues. It is the fastest system where the technology takes only 0.3 seconds to match up face with pre-registered photo.
- On August 8, 2018, DMK chief M Karunanidhi died at the age of 94. He was a five-time Chief Minister of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Tamil Nadu
On August 8, 2018, DMK chief and five-time Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu M Karunanidhi died at the age of 94 in Chennai. Mr Karunanidhi became a Chief Minister in 1969,1971,1989,1996 & 2006. He was popularly referred to as Kalaignaror the artist. Maanavanesan was his first manuscript magazine. In 1971 he created history by winning 184 Assembly constituencies.
- On 7th August 2018, writer, poet, critic and translator Sumatheendra R. Nadig, died following a short term illness. In which language did he write?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kannada
Sumatheendra Nadig was 83 years old. He was an advocated of the Navya literature movement (modernist tradition) in Kannada language. He had published 11 poetry collections. His popular poetry collection Dampatya Geeta has been translated into several languages. He had published 10 translations from several languages. He taught at Viswa Bharati, Shantiniketan, as a visiting professor. He was also a Fellow at Jadhavpur University. Also, he taught part-time at the Department of English, Temple University, Philadelphia. He was the editor at Bappco Publishing and a reader of English at Bangalore University.
- Who will replace Indra Nooyi as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of PepsiCo Inc, on 3rd October 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ramon Laguarta
On 6th August 2018, PepsiCo Inc said that Indra Nooyi would step down as its long time chief executive officer. She will replaced by Ramon Laguarta. He will take over on October 3 and will also join the board. Laguarta oversaw global operations, corporate strategy, public policy and government affairs in his role as president. He has also served as CEO of the company’s Europe Sub-Saharan Africa division.
- Name India’s World Champion weightlifter who has withdrawn from the Asian Games 2018 due to health issues?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Mirabai Chanu
World Champion and 2018 Gold Coast CWG gold medallist, Mirabai Chanu, has decided not to compete at the upcoming Asian Games after a repeating niggle in her lower back. She had suffered a lower back injury.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Gugamal National Park located?Maharashtra
- Where is the headquarters of ASEAN?Jakarta, Indonesia
- Name the Chairman of National Book Trust, India?Baldeo Bhai Sharma
- Where is the headquarters of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI)?New Delhi
- When was the Washington Open (tennis) Tournament started?1969