AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs August 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs July 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- What is the eligible age of couple, who are in need of child by surrogacy method as per the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2019 ?
1) Woman- 25 to 50 years, Man- 31 to 58 years
2) Woman- 23 to 50 years, Man- 26 to 55 years
3) Woman- 27 to 52 years, Man- 30 to 57 years
4) Woman- 29 to 55 years, Man- 32 to 60 years
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Woman- 23 to 50 years, Man- 26 to 55 years
On August 5, 2019, Lok Sabha passed the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2019 through a voice vote which aims to prohibit commercial surrogacy in India. The intending couple should have a ‘certificate of essentiality’ and a ‘certificate of eligibility’ issued by the appropriate authority. The couple should be Indian citizens and married for at least 5 years with the age between 23 to 50 years old for a woman and between 26 to 55 years old for a man, provided they do not have any surviving child (biological, adopted or surrogate) and meet other conditions that may be specified by regulations.
- What is the revised number of judges in the Supreme Court (SC) including Chief Justice of India (CJI) as per the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Amendment Bill 2019 ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 34
On August 5, 2019, Lok Sabha passed the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Amendment Bill 2019 by a voice vote which seeks to increase the number of judges in the Supreme Court (SC) from the present 30 to 33, excluding the Chief Justice of India (CJI). It amends the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, 1956.So including Chief Justice of India (CJI) there will be 34 Judges.
- Which ministry has unveiled a draft ‘Nation Resource Efficiency Policy’ that suggests the institutional mechanism and a three-year action plan through the principle of 6R and ‘green public procurement’ ?
1) Union Environment Ministry
2) Union Human Resource Development Ministry
3) Union Earth Sciences Ministry
4) Union Jal Shakti Ministry
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Union Environment Ministry
In order to save the natural resources, the Union environment ministry unveiled a draft ‘Nation Resource Efficiency Policy’ which suggests the institutional mechanism and a three-year action plan through the principle of 6R and ‘green public procurement’.Reason: In India, the consumption of fossil fuels, biomass, metal ores and non-metal ores was increased by over 6 times in 45 years, from 1.18 billion tonnes (BT) in 1970 to 7.4 BT in 2015. It is projected to be doubled by 2030 from 2015 level.
- NREA was in news recently, what does ‘A’ stands for ___________ .
1) A – Agency
2) A – Assest
3) A – Authority
4) A – Association
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) A – Authority
A stands for Authority.The full form of NREA is National Resource Efficiency Authority.
- Which rivers interlinking project got approval from Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) & received Rs 4,900 crore ?
1) Gomti and Betwa
2) Kosi and Mechi
3) Dihing and Manas
4) Kulsi and Kopili
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kosi and Mechi
On August 1, 2019, The Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) for river valley and hydroelectric projects of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) approved Rs 4,900 crore project for interlinking of Kosi and Mechi rivers.
- Which state’s Kosi-Mechi river interlinking became the second major river interlinking project in India after the Ken-Betwa project in Madhya Pradesh ?
1) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bihar
On August 1, 2019, The Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) for river valley and hydroelectric projects of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) approved Rs 4,900 crore project for interlinking of Kosi and Mechi rivers of Bihar. With the approval, it became the second major river interlinking project in India after the Ken-Betwa project in Madhya Pradesh.
- Where was the India’s first 3-D smart traffic signal ‘Intelights’ designed by Chitkara University students launched ?
1) Mohali, Punjab
2) Jaipur, Rajasthan
3) Chandigarh, Haryana
4) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Mohali, Punjab
On August 2, 2019, Sharad Satya Chauhan, Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Mohali traffic police launched 3-D Smart Traffic Signal ‘Intelights’ designed by the students of Chitkara University Incubated Start-up – Anukai Solutions. On a pilot project basis, the wireless system is installed at the traffic crossing near Quark City on Airport Road, Chandigarh, Punjab.It proposes a 360-degree solution to curb the rising problem of traffic congestion.It will regulate traffic signals with a smart bird’s eye view wireless sensor system.
- Which country was labeled as a currency manipulator for the first time in 25 years by the United States(US) ?
1) North Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
For the first time in 25 years, the United States (US) has labeled China as a currency manipulator. The US Treasury department defines currency manipulation as when countries deliberately influence the exchange rate between their currency and the US dollar to gain “unfair competitive advantage in international trade”.
- What is the retail personal credit disbursement growth in the first half of 2019(January -June)(the slowest rate of disbursement by banks in 5 years), as per the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 7.3%
According to the latest monthly data of RBI(Reserve Bank of India), the retail personal credit disbursement growth in the first half of 2019(January -June) was 7.3%, which is the slowest rate of disbursement by banks in 5 years. The last slowdown was seen in the year of 2014 that registered a credit growth of 6.4%. Previous report: The credit growth was 7.7% in the first half of 2018 & in 2017 it was 8.6%. The growth in 2016 and 2015 was at 8.1% and 8.5 % respectively at the same period (Jan-June).
- Which entity has launched mobile-first authentication solution, called “Identity Check Express” that will help customers to do uninterrupted secured transactions while shopping online ?
2) Visa Inc
3) American Express
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mastercard
On August 6, 2019, American multinational financial services corporation, Mastercard has launched a next-generation, mobile-first authentication solution, called “Identity Check Express” that will help customers to do uninterrupted secured transactions while shopping online.
- Which of the following cannot be done by e-commerce firm as per the recently “e-commerce guidelines for consumer protection 2019” ?
1) Cannot influence the price
2) Cannot get customer information
3) Cannot increase/decrease discount rate of the product
4) Cannot influence the customer with products
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Cannot influence the price
In order to protect the consumers’ interest, the Department of Consumer Affairs, Government of India has released draft guidelines called “e-commerce guidelines for consumer protection 2019” for e-commerce firms. The draft guideline states that an e-commerce firm cannot influence the price of the goods or services directly/indirectly & It needs to ensure the protection of the personally identifiable information of customers, is open for stakeholder remarks for 45 days or till September 16, 2019.
- Who became the second richest person in the world as per the Bloomberg Billionaire Index ?
1) Jeff Bezos
3) Bill Gates
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bill Gates
The co-founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates with $106 Billion, became the second richest person in the world again, by surpassing Europe’s richest person Bernard Arnault, French luxury good (Louis Vuitton Moét Hennessy) tycoon, as per Bloomberg Billionaire Index. Bernard Arnault as of now is the third richest person in the world with $97.8 Billion wealth.Jeff Bezos of Amazon still holds his no.1 spot as the world’s richest person. As of August 4, 2019, Asia’s richest person Mukesh Ambani slipped to 18th place with worth standing at $47.2billion in the index as his wealth decreased due to a 7 percent drop in share prices of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL).
- Name the Indian transsexual woman, who won the beauty pageant title of Miss World Diversity 2019 held in Port Louis, Mauritius.
1) Prithika Yashini
2) Naaz Joshi
3) Sathyasri Sharmila
4) Joyita Mondal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Naaz Joshi
Naaz Joshi, a transsexual woman from India won the beauty pageant title of Miss World Diversity 2019 held in Port Louis, Mauritius. This was her third successive victory in this beauty pageant competition as she won the title previously in 2017 and 2018. Naaz Joshi had also won Miss Republic International Beauty Ambassador 2017 and Miss United Nationals Ambassador.
- Who was appointed as the new director (exploration) in Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC) ?
1) Shashi Shanker
2) Ajay Kumar Dwivedi
3) Subhash Kumar
4) Rajesh Kumar Srivastava
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rajesh Kumar Srivastava
On August 5, 2019, Indian multinational oil and gas company, ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) has appointed Rajesh Kumar Srivastava as its new director (exploration). He replaces Mr. A K Dwivedi, who superannuated on 31 July 2019.Srivastava earned his Master’s Degree in Engineering Geology from IIT(Indian Institute of Technology), Kanpur, joined ONGC as Geologist in 1984 at Krishna Godavari Basin, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh.
- To which entity, Sandeep Kumar Gupta was appointed as the new Director (Finance)?
1) Indian Oil Corporation (IOC)
2) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC)
3) National Thermal Power Corporation(NTPC) Limited
4) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Indian Oil Corporation (IOC)
On August 3, 2019, State-owned oil and gas company, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has appointed Mr. Sandeep Kumar Gupta as its new Director (Finance). Earlier, he was Executive Director (Corporate Finance) at IndianOil’s Corporate Office. He replaces A K Sharma, who retired as finance director in May 2019.
- Who was appointed as the chairman and managing director(MD) of Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd ?
1) Ghanshyam Prasad
2) Seema Gupta
3) Kandikuppa Sreekant
4) K Sreekant
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kandikuppa Sreekant
On August 6, 2019, The Indian state-owned electric utility company, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. has appointed Kandikuppa Sreekant as its chairman and managing director(MD) till December 31, 2023, or until further orders, whichever is earlier. He replaces Ravi P Singh (director (personnel), who held the post of chairman & MD of the company give away the additional charge.
- Which country recently unveiled the three precision-guided missiles “Yasin”, “Balaban” and a new series of “Ghaem” ?
4) North Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Iran
On August 6, 2019, Iran unveiled three precision-guided missiles “Yasin”, “Balaban” and a new series of “Ghaem” in Tehran. The air-to-air missiles were developed jointly by the Ministry of Defence of Iran and Sa Iran, also known as Iran Electronics Industries. Yasin is a smart, guided-missile with folding wings that can be fired from a range of 50 kilometres (30 miles) of its target from manned or unmanned aircraft.
- Who has become the second-fastest batsman to score 25 test centuries overtaking Indian Skipper Virat Kohli?
1) Aaron Finch
2) Glenn Maxwell
3) David Warner
4) Steve Smith
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Steve Smith
Former Australian captain Steve Smith has overthrown Indian Skipper Virat Kohli to become the second-fastest batsman to score 25 test centuries during the second innings of the first Ashes test match against England. The chart is topped by Australian cricketer, Sir Don Bradman. Smith recorded this feat in his 119th innings whereas Sir Don Bradman achieved this feat in just 68 innings.
- Who was disqualified for dope violation after 7 years which makes the Indian men’s team 20km race walk to win bronze medal in IAAF World Race Walking Cup 2012 at Saransk, Russia ?
1) Ruslan Dmytrenko
2) Tom Bosworth
3) Paquillo Fernández
4) Yohann Diniz
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ruslan Dmytrenko
Athletics Federation of India (AFI) stated that after the Indian men’s 20km race walk team had finished 4th in the IAAF World Race Walking Cup held back in 2012 at Saransk, Russia, they have now (2019) been awarded the upgraded bronze medal position following the disqualification of a member (Ruslan Dmytrenko )of the second-placed Ukrainian team for dope violation.Background: The Indian team of K T Infra, Babubhai Panucha, and Surinder Singh missed a chance to finish with a medal in 2012 after finishing behind China(1st place), Ukraine(2nd ) and Australia(3rd).
- Sally Pearson announces her retirement, she belongs to which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Athletics
Former Olympic champion and Australia’s most awarded athlete, Sally Pearson(32) has announced her retirement after suffering from persistent injuries throughout the past year. Pearson won gold at the 2012 London Olympic Games in the 100m hurdles as well as a silver medal in the 100m hurdles at the 2008 Summer Olympics and the 2013 World Championships.She won the 8 major championship medals for Australia throughout her 16-year career.Pearson was also named as 2011 IAAF(International Association of Athletics Federations )Female Athlete of the Year after winning her first world title.
- Name the South Africa’s leading wicket-taker, who announced retirement from test cricket recently.
1) Hashim Amla
2) Dale Steyn
3) Morne Morkel
4) AB de Villiers
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dale Steyn
36-year-old South Africa’s Wicket taker DaleSteyn who made his test debut in 2004 announced retirement from test cricket, and has so far taken 439 wickets in 93 tests. The reason for his retirement is to prolong his playing career. He will be available to play for one-day and T20 Internationals.Currently, Dale Steyn is in 8th position in the all-time test bowling list and took 26 five-wicket hauls.
- Which country’s former captain Brendon McCullum announced retirement from all forms of cricket?
4) New Zealand
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Zealand
Former New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum, aged 37, has announced retirement from all forms of cricket. He will retire after the conclusion of the ongoing Global T20 Canada, which will be played against Montreal Tigers on August 11, 2019. He plays for Toronto Nationals. He had retired from all forms of international cricket in 2016 but continued to play in various T20 leagues across the globe.He has played 101 Tests in which he scored 6,453 runs with 12 hundred with the highest score of 302, 260 One Day Internationals-ODIs (6,083 runs with 5 hundred) and 71 Twenty20 (T20) Internationals (2,140 runs).
- Who will co-author the book titled “The Book ofGutsy Women” to honour famous women personalities?
1) Hilary Clinton and Chelsea Clinton
2) Sarah Palin and Chelsea Clinton
3) Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton
4) Margaret Thatcher and Nancy Pelosi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Hilary Clinton and Chelsea Clinton
American politician, diplomat, lawyer, writer and public speaker Hilary Rodham Clinton (called as Hilary Clinton) and her daughter Chelsea Clinton are teamed up to write a book called “The Book of gutsy Women” to honour famous women personalities. This book includes portraits of more than 100 famous women personalities.The Clintons (Hilary and Chelsea) were represented by Robert Barnett, attorney of Washington DC,
- Name the educationalist, journalist, social worker and Padma Shri awardee, who passed away recently .
1) Sanjit Roy
2) Kapil Sibal
3) YG Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy
4) Ashish Rajpal
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) YG Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy
Noted educationalist, journalist and social worker YG Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy passed away in Chennai due to cardiac arrest. She was 93. Born on 8 November 1925 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Rajalakshmi played a major role in setting up of the Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan(PSBB) group of schools.She received the Padma Shri award in 2010 for her contribution to the field of education and literature.
- Which country’s contemporary poet and fiction writer Jean Arasanayagam passed away recently ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Srilanka
Renowned Srilankan contemporary poet and fiction writer Jean Arasanayagam passed away at the age of 88 in Kandy, Sri Lanka due to old age ailments. The author has written over 50 books focused mainly on civil wars, ethnic and religious turmoils in Sri Lanka as her subject. She was survived by her husband and two daughters.
- Hiroshima Day is observed annually on ___________ .
1) August 3
2) August 4
3) August 5
4) August 6
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) August 6
Hiroshima Day was observed on August 6, 2019. It marks the anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan by the United States (US) in 1945.During World War II, an American B-29 bomber had dropped the first atomic bomb nicknamed ‘Little Boy’ on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.Three days later i.e on August 9, 1945, a second atomic bomb “Fat Man” was dropped on the city of Nagasaki.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the President of South Africa ?Answer – Cyril Ramaphosa
- What is the Capital and Currency of Iran ?Answer – Capital: Tehran & Currency: Iranian rial
- Who is the Chairman & Managing Director of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC) ?Answer – Shashi Shanker
- Valmiki National Park is located in which state ?Answer – Bihar
- Where is the head quarter of Mastercard located ?Answer – United States