AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs August 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs July 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Name the bill passed in parliament, that seeks to regulate wage and bonus payments in all employments where any industry, trade, business, or manufacturing is carried out .
1) Code of Payment Bill, 2019
2) Code on Wages Bill, 2019
3) National Service & Wages Bill, 2019
4) Payment of Wages Bill, 2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Code on Wages Bill, 2019
On August 2, 2019, Parliament passed Code on Wages Bill, 2019 which replaces the 4 laws- the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, the Minimum Wages Act, 1948, the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965, and the Equal Remuneration Act, 1976. The new bill seeks to regulate wage and bonus payments in all employments where any industry, trade, business, or manufacturing is carried out. Background: The Code on Wages, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Labour, Mr. Santosh Gangwar on July 23, 2019 and it was passed by it on July 30, 2019. It was passed in the Rajya Sabha with 85 members in favour and 8 against it.
- What is the new threshold limit of annual passenger traffic for major airports as per the “Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Bill, 2019” passed by Parliament ?
1) 25 lakh
2) 50 lakh
3) 40 lakh
4) 35 lakh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 35 lakh
On August 2, 2019, Parliament passed the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which amends the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008. The new bill increases the threshold of annual passenger traffic for major airports to over 35 lakh from 15 lakh. It is increased as the number of air traffic passengers has been increased 117 million from 2008 to 345 million in 2019. Background: The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Rajya Sabha on July 12, 2019 by the Minister of State for Civil Aviation Mr. Hardeep Singh Puri and was passed on July 16, 2019. The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008 established the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA). AERA regulates tariffs and other charges for aeronautical services provided at civilian airports with annual traffic above 15 lakh passengers and monitors the performance standard of services across these airports.
- Name the bill, which is set to replace the Medical Council of India (MCI), the central authority regulating medical education.
1) National Medical Council (NMC) bill
2) Indian Medical Council(IMC) bill
3) Medical Council of Indian Institute(MCII) bill
4) Medical Council (MC) bill
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National Medical Council (NMC) bill
Amid strong protests by the medical fraternity, the Rajya Sabha passed the controversial National Medical Commission (NMC) bill 2019 which is proposed to bring one of the biggest reforms in medical education. The National Medical Council (NMC) bill is passed to replace the Medical Council of India (MCI) which is the central authority regulating the medical education.
- National Medical Council (NMC) will comprise of how many members ?
1) 35 members
2) 30 members
3) 25 members
4) 20 members
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 25 members
National Medical Commission (NMC) will consist of 25 members. A search committee comprising of Cabinet Secretary, Union Health Secretary, CEO of NITI (National Institute of Transforming India) Aayog and four experts nominated by the central government will recommend the names of post for the post of Chairman and part-time members. Each members’ term will be maximum period of four years without reappointment.
- How many obsolete and irrelevant laws are repealed by newly passed Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019 ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 58
On August 2, 2019, Parliament passed the Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019 which repeals 58 obsolete and irrelevant laws.Background: The Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha on July 25, 2019 by the Minister of Law and Justice Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad and was passed on July 29, 2019. It was passed by Rajya Sabha through voice vote on August 2, 2019.The new bill repeals 58 laws that have been listed in the First Schedule of the Bill. It includes the Beedi Workers Welfare Fund Act, 1976, and the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2001.The Bill makes minor amendments to two Acts which relate to substitution of certain words. The two Acts are the Income Tax Act, 1961, and the India Institutes of Management Act, 2017.
- Name the two new vaccines, which is introduced to conduct India’s first large scale tuberculosis preventive trial .
1) MDR1003 and XDRVAC
2) MDR1003 and VPM1002
3) IMMUVAC and MDR1003
4) IMMUVAC and VPM1002
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) IMMUVAC and VPM1002
India’s first large scale trial for Two new TB vaccines, was launched by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The two drugs are IMMUVAC and VPM1002. The TB vaccine trial will be carried out in 6 States involving more than 12000 healthy household contacts of newly diagnosed TB patients with 2000 participants from each state.The six states are: Delhi, Maharashtra, Odisha, Telangana and Karnataka and will be implemented over the next 7-8 months. It will be conducted in 7 main centres having six sub-sites.The trial commenced at the National Institute of TB and Respiratory Diseases (NITRD), New Delhi.
- Which state has granted infrastructure project status for a $10-billion plan to build the world’s first ultra-fast hyperloop project ?
2) Tamil Nadu
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Maharashtra
The infrastructure project status worth $10billion was granted to Maharashtra by India, to establish the world’s first ultra-fast Hyperloop project. This project stretching over 117.5km, will link Mumbai with the neighbouring city of Pune and travels to the destination in about 35minutes.Hyperloops freight at speeds up to 1200 km per hour (750miles per hour) using magnetic to levitate pods inside an airless tube.
- Name the entity, which has partnered with Indian army & launched a batch of 10 electric cars in New Dehli to combat air pollution .
1) State Express Transport Corporation(SETC)
2) United Electrical Industries Limited(UEIL)
3) Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL)
4) Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd(HECL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL)
On August 1, 2019, In order to tackle air pollution, the Indian Army has launched an environmental friendly initiative with deploying a batch of 10 electric cars (E-cars) in New Delhi to be used of its Army personnel. Lt Gen Gopal flagged off the first lot of e-Cars. Partner: The pilot project of employing e-cars in Delhi was envisioned on the World Environment Day (June 5, 2019)and launched now in partnership with Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), a joint venture state-owned NTPC Limited(National Thermal Power Corporation), Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and Powergrid under the Ministry of Power.
- By using which method, Indus Valley inscriptions were written as per research paper titled “Interrogating Indus inscription to unravel their mechanism of meaning conveyance” written by Ms. Bahata Ansumali Mukhopadhyay ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Logograph
A research has found that a majority of the Indus Valley inscriptions were written logographically i.e by using word signs and not by using phonograms i.e speech sounds units. It was published in a Nature group journal Palgrave Communications.The research paper was titled as “Interrogating Indus inscription to unravel their mechanism of meaning conveyance”. The author of the paper is Ms. Bahata Ansumali Mukhopadhyay.The inscriptions can be compared to the structured messages found on stamps, coupons, tokens and currency coins of modern times.The seals were inscribed with Proto-Dravidian or Proto-Indo-European names of the seal-owners.
- Which state has launched a flagship financial assistance scheme called ‘Vhali Dikri Yojna’ for the welfare of girl child ?
1) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Gujarat
On August 3, 2019, Gujarat Chief Minister(CM) Vijay Rupani has launched a flagship financial assistance scheme called ‘Vhali Dikri Yojna’ in Rajkot, Gujarat for the welfare of girl child in the state. The scheme launched in order to improve the child sex ratio in the state, which currently stands at 890 girl child per 1000 male child.The amount will be given by the state government under the ‘Vhali Dikri Yojna to the girl child in the following manner.
When Will Assistance be Transferred
Amount under the scheme At the time of admission to class 4th Rs. 4,000 At the time admission to class 9th Rs. 6,000 At the time of taking admission for higher education at the age of 18 Rs.1-lakh At the time of marriage Rs. 1-lakh
The State Government has allocated Rs. 133 crore for Vahli Dikri Yojana in its recent Gujarat Budget 2019-20.
- Where was the 15th India-US Defence Policy Group meeting, 2019 on defence issues held ?
1) Washington, United States
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) New York, United States
4) New Delhi, India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Washington, United States
On August 3, 2019, In the 15th India-US Defence Policy Group meeting, 2019 on defence issues held in Washington, United States, officials of both countries agreed to follow a policy environment conducive to cooperation between the Defence industry and start-ups in both countries. The Indian side was led by Sanjay Mitra, defence secretary and the US was led by John Rood, undersecretary of defence for policy.The top-level meet reviews and guides the progress made in various fields such as defence trade, technology, procurement, industry, R&D(Research & Development) and mil-to-mil engagement in past years.
- Which bank was penalized with Rs.1.5 crore by RBI over “non-compliance with RBI’s (Reserve Bank of India) direction on frauds” in Rotomac group companies ?
1) State Bank of India (SBI)
2) Canara Bank
3) Bank of India (BOI)
4) Punjab National Bank(PNB)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bank of India(BOI)
Penalty of Rs.1.5 crore was fined on Bank of India over “non-compliance with RBI’s (Reserve Bank of India) direction on frauds” in Rotomac group companies.The penalty amount was ordered to be paid within 14 days of receipt of RBI’s order.Further 7 more banks were imposed penalty for violating norms. They are Allahabad bank (Rs.2 crore), Bank of Maharashtra (Rs.2 crore), Indian Overseas Bank ( RS.1.5 crore), Oriental Bank of Commerce( Rs.1crore), Union Bank of India(Rs.1.5 crore), Bank of Baroda ( Rs.1.5 crore). Corporation bank was fine Rs.1crore for non-compliance with RBI directions on cybersecurity.
- Shanghai branch of which bank has become the first Indian Bank branch to be connected & inducted to China’s National Advance Payment System (CNAPS)?
1) Canara Bank
2) State Bank of India(SBI)
3) ICICI Bank
4) HDFC Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) State Bank of India(SBI)
India’s largest lender, State Bank of India’s(SBI) Shanghai branch has become the first Indian Bank to be connected to China’s National Advance Payment System (CNAPS). SBI is the only Indian Bank to have obtained the license to do business in local currency and also inducted to the CNAPS by the china’s central Bank, ‘People’s Bank of China (PBOC)’.SBI Shanghai allows offering a real-time transfer of local funds within China through the PBOC route.CNAPS: The CNAPS, launched in 2008 allows PBOC, to provide real-time settlement services for all payments cleared in China, as well as in all clearing banks in offshore yuan(basic unit of the renminbi) centers, such as Hong Kong. It is complemented by its international counterpart, the CIPS (China International Payments System / Cross-Border Inter-Bank Payment System), launched in 2015 with the aim of boosting global use of the yuan.
- How much amount was infused in Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) for Housing Finance Companies (HFCs) as additional liquidity for individual housing loans for affordable housing by National Housing Bank (NHB) ?
1) Rs 25,000 crore
2) Rs 20,000 crore
3) Rs 15,000 crore
4) Rs 10,000 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rs 10,000 crore
The National Housing Bank (NHB) infused an additional Rs 10,000 crore in Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) for Housing Finance Companies (HFCs) as additional liquidity for individual housing loans for affordable housing. This is done to ease the flow of funds to the housing sector.It will be over and above the existing finance schemes of the housing sector regulator NHB.The apex bank of the country, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched a slew of measures for banks to avail additional liquidity of Rs 1.34 lakh crore.
- Where will Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in partnership with the lab of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) set up testing centre for Pashmina?
1) Leh, Jammu and Kashmir
2) Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir
3) Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
4) Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Leh, Jammu and Kashmir
Director General Ms. Surina Rajan announced that a Testing centre for Pashmina, a famous wool variety in the Jammu and Kashmir region, will be set up by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in partnership with the lab of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Leh, Jammu and Kashmir.Motorbike expedition was flagged by the Hill Council CEC (Chief Executive Counsellor) Gyal P Wangyal, and BIS Director General(DG)surina Rajan under the team “Drive for Pashmina”.The locals will be trained by the BIS with the cooperation of Leh Hill Council to save time and money in marking of the standards.
- Who was appointed as the director (operations) in Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)?
1) C.B. Ananthakrishnan
2) R Madhavan
3) M S Velpari
4) V. M. Chamola
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) M S Velpari
M S Velpari replaces Sunil Kumar as the director (operations) at the Bengaluru based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). The appointment comes after Sunil Kumar was superannuated from his service.Mr. Velpari joined HAL as a management trainee in 1985 and also held various posts like Chief of Project of LCA-(Light Combat Aircraft)- Tejas at the LCA division.
- To which entity, Siddhartha Mohanty was appointed as the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer ?
1) Indiabulls Housing Finance
2) LIC Housing Finance
3) Dewan Housing Finance Corporation
4) PNB Housing Finance
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) LIC Housing Finance
On August 3, 2019, Siddhartha Mohanty(Odisha) has assumed charge as MD(Managing Director) & CEO(Chief Executive Officer) of LIC Housing Finance (Life Insurance Corporation HFL) one of the largest housing finance companies in India. He replaces Shri Vinay Shah. Prior to this appointment, Mohanty was Chief Operating Officer (COO)with LIC HFL.In 1985, Mohanty started his career as a direct recruit officer with LIC of India. He was also the Executive Director(Legal)with LIC prior to joining to the LIC HFL.He also worked as Chief of Investments(Monitoring), Regional Head of marketing in LIC in the States of Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Goa.In LIC, he has a vast experience in the areas of Marketing, HR, Investments, and Legal.
- Name the mobile app launched by Minister for Earth Science, Science and Technology Dr. Harsh Vardhan to help farmers .
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Meghdoot
On August 2,2019, As a part of Digital India initiative & and bring technology to farmers, the minister for Earth Science, Science and Technology Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched a new mobile application called “Meghdoot” in New Delhi, developed by experts from the India Meteorological Department (IMD) and Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology(IITM) and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research(ICAR). The app will provide forecast relating to temperature, rainfall, humidity, and wind speed and direction, which play critical roles in agricultural operations. It also gives advisories to farmers on how to take care of the crops and livestock. Information given by the app is in the form of images, maps, and pictures. The app is available on Google Play Store & it also been integrated with WhatsApp and Facebook to help farmers share advisories with them. The app would be available for 150 districts in different parts of the country & It will be extended to other parts of the country in a phased manner.
- Kursanbek Sheratov is associated with which sport ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Football
Kursanbek Sheratov is associated with football, he was in news on August 2, 2019, Four football players have been banned for life by AFC (Asian Football Confederation, the governing body of association football in Asia and Australia )for match-fixing at the AFC Cup in the year of 2017 and 2018. The four players include Kursanbek Sheratov, Vladimir Verevkin and Iliaz Alimov (all Kyrgyzstan ), Abduaziz Mahkamov(Tajikistan).Kursanbek Sheratov was found guilty of supporting betting activity & fixing in connection with a match involving his club Dordoi FC(Football Club) at 2017. Iliaz Alimov and Abduaziz Mahkamov were found guilty of fix matches involving their club FC Alay in 2017 and 2018 season of the AFC Cup.Abduaziz Mahkamov was also conspired to fix matches involving FC Alay in 2017 and 2018.
- Name the deceased 2019 National Bravery Awardee, who won the award for saving his uncle from the jaws of a crocodile .
1) Netravati M Chavan
2) Mamata Dalai
3) Situ Mallick
4) Karanbeer Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Situ Mallick
On August 2, 2019, Situ Mallick, aged 16, passed away in a road accident near Jarimula under Rajnagar area of Kendrapara district, Odisha. He had saved his uncle from the jaws of a crocodile and was awarded National Bravery Award 2019 instituted by the Indian Council for Child Welfare from Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Situ Mallick and his cousin Bapu Mallick were the 2 persons killed in a road accident.
- Who authored the book titled “Tools and Weapons: The Promise and The Peril of the Digital Age” that depicts the biggest stories of Microsoft ?
1) Carol Ann Browne & John W. Thompson
2) Brad Smith & Carol Ann Browne
3) Padmasree Warrior & John W. Thompson
4) Brad Smith & John W. Thompson
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Brad Smith & Carol Ann Browne
The book co-authored by Microsoft President Brad Smith & Carol Ann Browne, a director of communications at Microsoft, titled “Tools and Weapons: The Promise and The Peril of the Digital Age” will be released on September 11, 2019. It is published by Hachette Publishers.Tools and Weapons The Promise and The Peril of the Digital Age. The foreword is written by Bill Gates.The book depicts the biggest stories of Microsoft.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Name the freedom fighter, who designed national flag.Answer – Pingali Venkaiah
Pingali Venkaiah, a freedom fighter and the designer of the flag on which the Indian national flag was based was born on this day in 1876, near Machilipatnam in Andhra Pradesh. Today is his 143rd birth anniversary. Venkaiah’s design for the National Flag was finally approved by Mahatama Gandhi in a Congress meeting in Vijayawada in 1921.
- Footballer, Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccittini belongs to which country ?Answer – Argentina
Lionel Messi has been handed a three-month ban from international football for accusing South America’s governing body CONMEBOL of “corruption” during the Copa America. Barcelona star Messi was sent off, along with aggressor Gary Medel, after an altercation as Argentina beat Chile 2-1 in the competition’s third-place play-off last month, the referee’s decision appearing especially curious as he did not look back at the footage on the pitch-side VAR monitor.
- Where is the headquarter of Asian Football Confederation(AFC) located ?Answer – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Who is the Managing Director of National Housing Bank (NHB) ?Answer – Sarada Kumar Hota
- Kadana Dam is located in which state ?Answer – Gujarat