AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 24 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- The government has given standard environment clearing conditions to give proper general guidance to companies seeking environment clearance for how many sectors?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.25
On August 24, 2018, to give proper general guidance to companies seeking environment clearance, the government has given standard environment clearing conditions for 25 sectors. This would ensure uniformity on stipulated terms and conditions across the projects and sectors. The 25 sectors include: iron, steel, cement, coal, petroleum refineries industry, paper and pulp industries, hydro-electric projects, industrial estates, among others. The government has also constituted green panel called Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) that would assess projects.
- NITI Aayog has released how many Thematic Reports on Sustainable Development in Indian Himalayan Region that was prepared by the 5 Working Groups (WGs) in June 2017?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.5
On August 24, 2018, NITI Aayog released the 5 Thematic Reports on Sustainable Development in Indian Himalayan Region that had been prepared by the 5 Working Groups (WGs) in June 2017. The reports from the five working groups discuss the significance, the challenges, the ongoing actions and a future roadmap in that region.
- Name the digital platform, that is to be set up to ease transportation of goods across India and exports, following the approval of committee of secretaries?
1.Import Export Portal (IEP)
2.National Logistics Portal (NLP)
3.Indian Commerce Portal (ICP)
4.National Commerce Portal (NCP)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.National Logistics Portal (NLP)
On August 24, 2018, A committee of secretaries has approved a proposal by department of commerce (DoC) to setup a National Logistics Portal (NLP). To ease transportation of goods across the country and export. The portal is being planned in three phases-
• development of a logistics e-marketplace whose test run is being planned by March,
• single window certification by bringing in 81 authorities on board, and
• integrating financial services on the platform.
It will have a common online platform to integrate all transactions involved in their production and export.
- Which state cabinet approved a bill for creation of a price stabilisation fund to ensure that the state farmers get minimum support price (MSP), on 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Punjab
On August 24, 2018, The Punjab cabinet approved a bill for creation of a price stabilisation fund. This decision was taken by the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Amarinder Singh. This would ensure that state farmers get minimum support price (MSP). It would protect the interests of farmers in the event of a sudden fall in prices of certain agricultural commodities. Amendments will be made to sections 25 (A), 26 and 28 of the Punjab Agricultural Produce Markets Act, 1961.
- Which is the partner country for the 2nd edition of the ‘Make in Odisha Conclave 2018’ that will be held from 11thto 15th November 2018, in Odisha?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Japan
In the 2nd edition of Make in Odisha Conclave 2018, Japan will be the ‘partner country’ and State Bank of India will be the banking partner. It will be the only country partner for Make in Odisha Conclave-2018. This would include investment opportunities in the state across six focus sectors including: food processing and seafood, chemicals, plastics and petrochemicals, ancillary and downstream industries in the metal sector, electronic manufacturing, textiles, apparel and tourism. The state has also earmarked 600 acres of land in Bhubaneswar for the Japanese investors.
- Where was India’s largest Business Incubator “Bhamashah Techno Hub” launched on 24th August 2018?
4.Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Jaipur, Rajasthan
On August 24, 2018, Chief Minister of Rajasthan Vasundhara Raje launched India’s largest Business Incubator “Bhamashah Techno Hub” In Jaipur. It will provide free space, easier funding avenues and mentorship to startups. The Rajasthan government announced setting up of a Rs 500-crore startup fund – Bhamashah Techno Fund. Out of the total amount, Rs 50 crore has been earmarked for green startups and Rs 100 crore for women startups. The hub has an 1.50 lakh square feet of incubation space and would be able to accommodate over 700 startup ventures.
- Where will be the mega anti-terror drill of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) named The Peace Mission 2018 held from 22nd to 29th August 2018, in which Indian and Pakistani troops will participate for the first time?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Russia
On August 22, 2018, for the first time, the militaries of India and Pakistan are taking part in a mega anti-terror drill of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) named The Peace Mission 2018 in Russia. India is participating in the drill for the first time since becoming a full member of the SCO in June 2017. It is aimed at expanding cooperation among the member countries to deal with terrorism and extremism. The joint exercise is being conducted by the Central Military Commission of Russia from August 22 to August 29 at Chebarkul, Russia.
- Name India’s only aircraft carrier which will get an upgrade for its air wing by Russian company Technodinamika?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.INS Vikramaditya
On August 24, 2018, India’s only aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya will be upgraded and fitted with a marine hydraulic system to boost the air operations of the ship for the first time. This will be done by Technodinamika, a subsidiary of Russia’s Rostec State Corporation by May 2019. Hydraulics technology uses fluid pressure to power machines and the systems to be installed are named “GS-1MF” and “GS-3”.They will be used for refuelling, cleaning and pressurisation of hydraulic systems of aircraft and helicopters on board the INS Vikramaditya.
- The United States has imposed preliminary anti-dumping duty of _____% on India-made metal pipes?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.50.55 %
The United States has imposed preliminary anti-dumping duty of 50.55 % on India-made metal pipes. This move has been made to protect the American industry and reduce the trade deficit. In January 2018, 6 US pipe manufacturers had filed antidumping complaint with the US Department of Commerce. On 21st August 2018, after preliminary analysis, the US Department of Commerce stated that, China, Greece, Canada, South Korea, Turkey and India were selling the large diameter-welded pipe used to transport oil, gas and other fluids very much below the fair price. This dumping is harmful to the US industry.
- Name Flipkart’s dedicated portal for refurbished goods, including mobile phones, laptops and tablets, that was launched on 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.2Gud
On August 24, 2018, Flipkart unveiled a dedicated portal ‘2Gud’ for refurbished goods, including mobile phones, laptops and tablets. It is aimed to bring affordability, accessibility and availability to the refurbished market. It would offer refurbished mobile phones, tablets, laptops and other electronic accessories along with a 3-12 month warranty. The platform would also allow customers to return their products. It will soon be accessible through desktop browsers and a mobile application.
- Which company has become the first Indian company to cross Rs 8 lakh crore market capitalization?
4.Reliance Industries (RIL)
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Reliance Industries (RIL)
On August 24, 2018, Reliance Industries (RIL) became the first Indian company to cross Rs 8 lakh crore market capitalization. The company’s market valuation soared to Rs 8,04,247.76 crore. M-cap of TCS’ Rs 7,77,870 crore m-cap.
- Which company has topped Fortune’s 4th annual ‘Change the World’ List 2018, released on 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Reliance Jio
Fortune’s 4th annual ‘Change the World’ List 2018:
Rank Company Industry 1 Reliance Jio Telecommunications 2 Merck Pharmaceuticals 3 Bank of America Commercial Bank 4 Inditex Specialty Retailers 5 Alibaba Group Internet Services and retailing 6 Kroger Food and Drug Store 7 Xylem Industrial Machinery 8 ABB Industrial Machinery 9 Weight Watchers International Business Services 10 Hughes Network System Network and other communications
- Paytm has launched “Paytm AI Cloud for India” for developers, start-ups, and enterprises in partnership with which company?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Alibaba
Paytm has launched “Paytm AI Cloud for India” for developers, start-ups, and enterprises in partnership with Alibaba, a global tech giant. This is a made-in-India AI-powered cloud. It offers ready-to-use services to automate workflow, easy to integrate payments, messaging and customer engagement without the trouble of managing hardware and software, in-built CRM, Campaign Management. It also offers affordable, easy-to-access computing services, ready-to-use apps, pattern recognition technology, pre-trained models and predictive computation to businesses.
- Who took charge as Member (Planning) at the Airports Authority of India (AAI), on 21st August 2018?
2.Anil Kumar Pathak
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Anil Kumar Pathak
On 21st August 2018, Anil Kumar Pathak took charge as Member (Planning) at the Airports Authority of India (AAI). Earlier, Anil Kumar Pathak was Executive Director of Planning and Engineering at the headquarters. He had also worked in Corporate Planning, Traffic Forecasting, and Airport Infrastructure Planning. AAI manages over 120 airports in various parts of India.
- Who was appointed the Secretary General of Assocham (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India) on 23rd August 2018?
1.Shiva Kumar Prasad
3.Vivek Kumar Singh
4.Uday Kumar Varma
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Uday Kumar Varma
On August 23, 2018, Industry chamber Assocham appointed former bureaucrat Uday Kumar Varma as its new Secretary General. He will succeed DS Rawat. Mr.Varma was a former Secretary, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India. He has served administrative role in the state government of Madhya Pradesh as well.
- FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) has taken temporary control over which football association due to governance issues?
1.Uruguayan Football Association (AUF)
2.South African Football Association (SAFA)
3.Indian Football Association (IFA)
4.Mexican Football Association (MFA)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Uruguayan Football Association (AUF)
FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) has taken temporary control over the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) due to governance issues. AUF’s president Wilmar Valdez resigned from his position in July 2018, just before a day he was to stand for re-election. The election was put on hold. FIFA will look over a transparent election for a new president for AUF. A normalization committee will be formed to run AUF till 28th February 2019.
- Cricketer Jhulan Goswami has announced her retirement from Twenty-20 Internationals (T20Is). Which country does she belong to?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.India
Indian cricketer Jhulan Goswami has announced her retirement from Twenty-20 Internationals (T20Is). She will only play ODIs hereafter. Jhulan Goswami is 35 years old. She represented India in 68 T20Is and has taken 56 wickets at an economy rate of 5.45. She played her first T20I in August 2006. She has played 10 Tests and 169 ODIs so far. At present, she is the leading wicket-taker in the women’s ODI format. She is also the first woman cricketer to take 200 ODI wickets.
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has designed 2 virtual reality applications named NASA Selfies app and NASA’s Exoplanet Excursions, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the which Space Telescope?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Spitzer
NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has designed 2 virtual reality applications named: NASA Selfies appand NASA’s Exoplanet Excursions, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Spitzer Space Telescope. Through the NASA Selfies app users can take selfies in a virtual spacesuit and can pose in front of various cosmic locations. The NASA’s Exoplanet Excursions takes the users on a virtual guided tour of the TRAPPIST-1 planetary system. Users are taken around 5 planets. Spitzer telescope detects these planets and provides information about the planets.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Abohar wildlife sanctuary located?Answer – Punjab
- Where is Chilika Lake located?Answer – Odisha
- Who is the Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI)?Answer – Guruprasad Mohapatra
- When was Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) established?Answer – 2001
- Name the President of FIFA (International Federation of Association Football)?Answer – Gianni Infantino