AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 21 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Chhattisgarh Cabinet has approved the proposal to rename Naya Raipur, capital of Chhattisgarh as ______, to honour former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Atal Nagar
On August 21,2018 Chhattisgarh Cabinet approved the proposal to rename Naya Raipur , capital of Chhattisgarh as ‘Atal Nagar’. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh announced the renaming of some other institutions and projects after Vajpayee. The Bilaspur University will be known as Atal Bihari Vajpayee University. Narrow Gauge Line will be called Atal Path. The Central Park, which is being constructed will be named as Atal Park.
- Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Delhi and Chandigarh have decided to set up a centralised secretariat at _____, to tackle drug menace?
4.Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Panchkula, Haryana
On 20th August 2018, 5 Northern States: Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Union Territories: Delhi and Chandigarh decided to set up a centralised secretariat at Panchkula, in Haryana, to tackle drug menace. This decision was taken at the regional conference of the Chief Ministers organised by the Haryana government on “Drug menace, challenges and strategies” in Chandigarh. At the centralised secretariat at Panchkula nodal officers from each State will be assigned to share intelligence and information.
- Which institute has launched the ‘Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research’ to treat and convert sewage water into potable water?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.IIT-Kharagpur
On 17th August 2018, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT-Kharagpur) launched ‘Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research’ to treat and convert sewage water into potable water. Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research has been set up by a seed fund created by IIT alumni Anant Choubey and Aneesh Reddy. This has been launched to handle the issues of sewage disposal in urban areas and access to clean potable water.
- Where did the first-ever joint air exercise involving the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) begin on 20th August 2018?
2.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Subang, Malaysia
On August 20 2018, The first-ever joint air exercise involving the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) commenced at Subang Air Base in Malaysia. This is the inaugural bilateral exercise between IAF & RMAF. It was inaugurated by Gp Capt CUV Rao, team leader IAF & Col Mahadzer, Ex director of RMAF. It’s a platform to exchange Knowledge & Good practices with each other. RMAF and IAF ended its first ever bilateral exercise launching two Sukhoi Su-30MKM and Su-30MKI Flankers each from Subang airport.
- As per the new Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) for refilling of ATMs (Automated Teller Machine), cash loading of the ATMs or cash transportation activities will not be done after _____ in rural areas?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.6 pm
Home Ministry has specified new Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) for refilling of ATMs (Automated Teller Machine), which will come to effect on 8th February 2019. The new SoPS have been formulated to prevent attacks on cash vans, cash vaults, ATM frauds and other internal frauds. As per the new SoPS, Cash loading of the ATMs or cash transportation activities will not be done:
• After 9 pm- in urban areas
• After 6 pm- in rural areas
• Before 9 am or after 4 pm- in districts notified by the central government as Left Wing Extremism affected areas or Naxal-hit areas
- Who was awarded the 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on the occasion of 74th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, in New Delhi, on 20th August 2018?
4.Lenin Martha Antony
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Gopalkrishna Gandhi
On 20th August 2018, former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi was awarded the 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on the occasion of 74th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, in New Delhi. Gopalkrishna Gandhi was awarded the 2018 Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award for promoting communal harmony and peace. The award includes a citation and a cash award of Rs 10 lakh. Gopalkrishna Gandhi was conferred the award by chairperson of the Congress Parliamentary party Sonia Gandhi, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and chairperson of the advisory committee for the award Karan Singh.
- Who has become the 4th Indian wicket-keeper to take 5 catches on Test debut?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rishabh Pant
On 19th August 2018, Rishabh Pant became the 4th Indian wicket-keeper to take 5 catches on Test debut during the second day of the third cricket Test against England, in Nottingham, England. Other Indians who had achieved this feat of taking 5 catches on Test debuts: Naren Tamhane, Kiran More and Naman Ojha. Rishabh Pant achieved this feat by taking the catches of Alastair Cook, Keaton Jennings, Ollie Pope, Chris Woakes and Adil Rashid in England’s first innings.
- Name the Australian cricketer who has planned to publish his autobiography ‘No Spin’ in October 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Shane Warne
Australia Cricketer and bowling spin legend Shane Warne plan to release his extraordinary cricketing career and his life off the pitch besides unveiling several unknown facts in his autobiography ‘No Spin ‘which will be published on October 2018. Andrew Goodfellow, deputy publisher at Ebury press announced that Warne’s memoir “No Spin” will have a global release on October 4 2018.
- Which Indian cricketer has planned to release his autobiography “281 and Beyond” on November 20, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.VVS Laxman
Indian cricketer VVS Laxman, known for the suppleness of his wrists, plans to release his emotional journey as cricket player through his autobiography “281 and Beyond” on November 20,2018. The title has been borrowed from the Hyderabad stylist’s fabulous series-turning innings of 281 against Australia at the Eden Gardens in 2001. Westland Publications will release the former Indian cricketer’s autobiography “281 and Beyond”.
- When was International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism 2018 observed?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.August 21
UN Secretary-General, António Guterres informed that General Assembly to establish an International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism due to Terrorism continues to pose a major threat to international peace and security. It undermines the core values of the United Nations and is an indiscriminate threat that affects people and countries across the globe. Observance of the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to Victims of Terrorism represents a major step forward in standing in solidarity with victims of terrorism. By inviting Member States, the United Nations, international organizations and civil society entities to observe the Day, attention to victims will be focused at the national, regional and international levels.
- When was World Senior Citizen Day, 2018 celebrated throughout the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.August 21
World Senior Citizen Day, 2018 will be observed worldwide on August 21. The history of International Senior Citizens Day comes from the period of 1988. It was officially established by the former president of United States of America i.e. Ronald Reagan. He had signed the 5847 promulgation on August 19, 1988, which manifested August 21 as the National Senior Citizens Day.
- When was Sadbhavana Diwas 2018 (74th birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi) celebrated all over India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.August 20
Sadbhavana Diwas 2018 (74th birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi) will be celebrated all over the India at on 20th of August. The Sadbhavana (means having good feelings for others) Diwas or Harmony Day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of the earlier Prime Minister of India named Rajiv Gandhi. It was also used to celebrate by many of the people in order to give the Respect and Salutations to many of the good people in India and many other Countries.
- Which month will be celebrated as the National Nutrition Month every year to mark India’s fight against malnutrition?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.September
This announcement was made by the Ministry of Women and Child Development at the second meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under the Poshan Abhiyaan on 25th July 2018. The Ministry of Women and Child Development will conduct programmes to create awareness on issues related to malnutrition like stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight in children. The programmes will be focused on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- India has banned the import of _____ for fuel use?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.pet coke
India banned the import of pet coke as fuel use but it will be allowed to use as feedstock in some industries. Cement, lime kiln, calcium carbide and gasification industries are only allowed to use import of pet coke as the feedstock or in the manufacturing process on actual user condition. Pet coke is one of the world’s largest consumers and imports over 27 million tones from the United States. India is the world’s biggest consumer of petroleum coke, which is a dark solid carbon material that emits 11 per cent more greenhouse gases than coal, according to the CarnegieTsinghua Center for Global Policy.
- Which Union Ministry has notified a new set of specified health warnings for all tobacco products manufactured or imported or packaged on or after September 1, 2018?
1.Ministry of External Affairs
2.Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
3.Ministry of Commerce and Industry
4.Ministry of Food Processing
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has notified a new set of specified health warnings for all tobacco products manufactured or imported or packaged on or after September 1.It issued new images for the pictorial warning on packs of cigarette and other tobacco products. Health ministry ordered all packs of tobacco products must have “tobacco causes cancer” and “tobacco causes painful death”written in white on a red background, and the words “quit today call 1800-11-2356” in white on a black background. The government released two separate set of images.The first set will be used on tobacco products from September 1,2018 for a period of 12 months whereas the second set of images will be used from September 1,2019.
- Which state cabinet approved amendments to the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) to make disrespect of religious texts punishable with life imprisonment, on 21st August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Punjab
On August 21st 2018, The Punjab Cabinet approved amendments to the Indian Penal Code (IPC) as well as the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) to make disrespect of religious texts punishable with life imprisonment. The Cabinet has approved the withdrawal of the Code of Criminal Procedure (Punjab Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the Indian Penal Code (Punjab Amendment) Bill, 2016, passed in the 12th Session of 14th Vidhan Sabha, 2016. The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Amarinder Sing.
- Central Government declared the floods occurred in which state as a calamity of “severe nature”, on 21st August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Kerala
On August 21 2018 , Centre has declared the Kerala floods as a calamity of “severe nature”. The central government has also scaled up its relief and rescue operations. Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said the Kerala floods were being treated as natural calamity of severe nature. National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC), chaired by Cabinet Secretary PK Sinha informed that Centre dispatched 100 tonnes of pulses and 52 tonnes of essential medicines to the State. Around 20 tonnes of bleaching powder and 1 crore chlorine tablets. Ministry of Power has moved equipment such as electricity meters, coils and transformers to restore the distribution network.
- The 11th World Hindi Conference (WHC) was held in Port Louis, Mauritius, from 18th to 20th August 2018. In which, Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth announced that Mauritius cyber tower will be named as _____?
1.Atal Bihari Vajpayee tower
2.Mahatma Gandhi Tower
3.Subash Chandra Bose Tower
4.Narendra Modi Tower
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Atal Bihari Vajpayee tower
From 18th to 20th August 2018, the 11th World Hindi Conference (WHC) was held at Swami Vivekanand International Convention Centre in Port Louis, Mauritius. It 11th World Hindi Conference (WHC) was organized by the Ministry of External Affairs, India in collaboration with the Government of Mauritius. It was inaugurated by Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Kumar Jugnauth. Over 2,000 delegates participated in the conference. Main theme of the Conference was “Hindi Vishwa Aur Bharatiy Sanskriti” (Hindi World and Indian Culture). Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth announced that Mauritius cyber tower, for which Atal Bihari Vajpayee had contributed, will be named as Atal Bihari Vajpayee tower.
- A team of international researchers including 18 Indians have decoded the genome of _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.wheat
On August 19 2018, A team of international researchers have decoded the wheat genome. Eighteen Indian scientists from that team played a crucial role in cracking the genetic code of wheat – the world’s most widely cultivated crop. The research article is authored by more than 200 scientists from 73 research institutions in 20 countries. A team of 18 Indian scientists co-authoring this paper, led by Dr Kuldeep Singh at Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) Ludhiana, Professor JP Khurana at the University of Delhi South Campus, and Professor Nagendra Singh at ICAR-National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology, Delhi, contributed to the decoding of Chromosome 2A of the wheat genome. The genetic information, scientists say, would help Indian plant breeders create better wheat varieties capable of tolerating heat and drought without compromising the yield.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Chairperson of National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC)?Answer – PK Sinha
- Where is Kalesar National Park located?Answer – Haryana
- What is the currency and capital of Mauritius?Answer – Capital – Port Louis; Currency – Mauritian rupee
- Who is the Executive Director of United Nations office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)?Answer – Yury Fedotov
- What is the constituency of Maneka Gandhi, Minister of Women and Child Development?Answer – Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh